Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 6.16.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I had a very busy weekend with no time to read or post, and have too many emails to respond to this morning, so this'll just be a quick post and I'll be on my way.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Father's Day!

For Saturday's Market Square Day 10K in Portsmouth, NH, the rain had stopped, but it was still pretty muggy out, which made for less than IRC for everyone. I was disappointed with my time, but still managed to finish 2nd in the competitive walker div. I spent the rest of the day working at our booth at the MSD street festival. Yesterday, we went to our favorite dive for breakfast, then Trader Joe's, then home to oil the back deck, weed, plant some flowers, and shovel some more mulch. We finished the day with a wonderful walk on the beach and drinks on the front porch before grilled steak and veggies. I didn't sleep well last night, so I'll be dragging through today and tonight's meeting. So it goes...

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Well...I guess we'll all have to go back and read all the posts ourselves....
        Well...I guess we'll all have to go back and read all the posts ourselves....

Smile

.....Great pic yesterday mike, what A Cutie......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Only one thing could have made Father's Day better and that is if my youngest could have joined us for dinner at my oldest's house.  Paella was the dish and it was delicious, but Hudson worked 3 pm to 11 and couldn't attend.  As we were talking about it in the car on the way home, there have been many special occasions in our family where someone could not attend because of work, and that is really not a bad thing.  My boys have a great work ethic.  Proud of them.

Three miles at an easy pace today, just to be on the safe side.  Felt good.

Spareribs

TammyinGP

that is a great pic that MikeE shared yesterday. I think it would look great framed. and then every year get a pic like that - from toddlerhood to walking his daughter down the aisle. That would be precious. 

Sounds like Ribs had a great day. I hope all you dads had a wonderful day and did what you wanted to do. I tried to give my husband a relaxing day. But he's a man that can never just sit and not do anything. I'm sure I'll get far more use out of the zero gravity lounge chair I bought him for the patio than he will.  But he did get a nice homemade breakfast of fried eggs, homemade browns and sausage. and then we went to my parents for an early dinner. and enjoyed rootbeer floats for dessert with some homemade vanilla bean ice cream I made. 

First week of summer break and we are up earlier than we are during the school year. David meets the summer training group at 7:00.  I'm sure there are other 14 yr old boys getting up at 6:00 on summer vacation, right?

I was thinking yesterday that I should get my trusty Cannondale out that I haven't ridden in a few yrs and get in some biking.  I'm kind of afraid of biking now though. Thanks Tom 

eta: great pic of you and your sons, Ribs. And that paella looks marvelous! I haven't had Paella since my stay in Spain - which was many many years ago!

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - where is the other twin?

Ribs - great picture!

We had an adventurous Father's Day dinner at my DH's favorite Mexican restaurant.  Partly through the meal, DD started choking on her cheese stick.  Just as I reached back to slap her on the back, DH yelled, "SHE'S CHOKING!", lunged across me and lifted her into the air, giving her the Heimlich maneuver.  The food dislodged and she could breathe again.  The entire restaurant had gone silent, staring, and now broke into applause.  DH stood and said, "It's Father's Day!" and sat down again to more applause.  DD was a little tearful (more embarrassed than anything, I think) but was fine in the end.  Whew!

No run for me today, just light weights and core (Mike - I switched rest days and did yesterday's core today).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Mike - where is the other twin?

Uh oh...maybe he ain't such a good dad, after all....

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Okay.  So I'm currently sitting in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa airport waiting for a 4 pm Delta flight to Atlanta, connecting to Hartford, with a 12:10 am arrival time.  But I was doing the same thing at this time yesterday when United cancelled the original flight due to weather.  Weather?  It was sunny in both Cedar Rapids and Chicago yesterday.

That's when I learned about the airline's dirty little secret - they only allow a certain number of flights into O'Hare each hour, and the closer, smaller flights are likely to get cancelled if the airline is over its allotted number of flights.

So 9 of us (4 chaperones and 5 teenagers) ended up spending the night in a really nice hotel called the Kirkwood, run by a community college with excellent culinary and hotel management courses of study.  United "generously" offered to give us the distressed passenger rate ($77 per night, no meals included), along with 7 meal vouchers for $7 apiece.  I guess they couldn't count to 9.  Of course the meal that we had (which was really good) was in the $300 range.  During the meal, we got the text message from United that our 7 am departure today had been cancelled (mechanical problems).  I presume it's actually a logistics issue, since there are limited number of flights between Chicago and Cedar Rapids.

So this morning I got up and went for a two hour run (unmiled) along the Cedar River Trail and the Hoover nature trail.  It was a nice paved trail for running/biking, and my legs felt rally good.  Then we all had breakfast, and said our goodbyes, as there was no way that the 9 of us could fly together today.

What United may not realize yet is that one of the adult chaperones is a litgating attorney, and one of the adults used to work for American Airlines.  I'm the money guy, and I have a friend who just happens to be the director of logistics for a major airline.  So we should be getting some reimbursements and flight vouchers at a minimum.

As I said at dinner last night, "thanks United."

The rest of the trip went really well.  PBJster #2's team finished in 4th place in one of the competitions, and 8th place in the other.  Not bad considering this was an international competition for Future Problem Solvers with over 1,200 competitors.  And I ran the Marathon to Marathon on Saturday at 3:27, good enough for a 3rd place age group finish (and a potential BQ).  It was a good weekend spoiled by bad logistics.  Oh well.  At least we all will be able to laugh about it someday.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Evenin' everyone,

Belated Happy Dad's day...enjoyed reading about all the festivities.  I do think Holly wins for high drama.  That could be a movie scene; loved it (and pshew, neddless to say!).

Hope everyone had good times and some bright memories, either recalling or making.

OK, really on edge now as Sunday's paper's had a front page story on how dangerous it is to be a bicycle rider here (lots of accidents) so tw's post cranked me up even more than I already was (not to mention my bike is my beloved Raleigh I bought in college so it's a lady of a certain age.  She's had some work done, but still....)    And then I'm off to Duluth in a few days so PJB's airport adventures are also revving my engines.       Eek!

Mike, a law school friend, Kirsten Bey, was a Public Defender in Palmer for many years....also competed in the Iditerod.    A fair number of grads from my little old Boston school are in Alaska, including the Chief Justice, Dana Farbe (or former, not sure if she's retired.....Erika might know....)   speaking of, take care of that foot thing.    I need to track your August marathon training for my own!  I also envy your beets.  Love baked beets.

Yes, Carolyn, no need wasting your breath 'splaining why you want to run 50 miles.   (I mean, some of us even wonder from time to time....., right?)

Hi Tag! 

Well, I am just trying to figure out what pace to attempt Saturday at Grandma's.  Did 20 Saturday, 16 Sunday at around 8:58 and another 8+ this am at 8:50.  Maybe 8:15?

Court tomorrow, but I'll be thinking of y'all and will try and pop in sometime to see what you're up to.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

PBJ one of the many reasons I "love" flying!   But, in this case I am not sure I see how United is legally liable for cancellations created by O'Hare's traffic control.  It is true, they would know such cancellations are likely.  But that would be true with an airport located in an inclement area.  Why does this rise to a level that they would be liable for damages?  I am not saying they are not liable, I really have no idea and I am just curios how the liability rules work in a case like this.

I ran Saturday, decided another week off would likely be a good idea.  I am determined to enter this summer's running and racing season 100% unhurt and if it seems liek more time off will do it, then I will take it off!  Here that body!  Alas, I am not a dad so nothing special to report for this past weekend either.  Certainly, nothing as good looking as that dinner prepared for Spareribs by his two DSs.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

The week is starting off with some mileage - yippee

Love the paella - looks scrumtious!

Jay - congrats on your race.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

SteveP

Fly by!  Tuesday is our anniversary and I need a poem and clean underware. As far as the poem goes: I'm a sinner. You're a saint. The house should be Gotham City Blue next time we paint.

SteveP

Yeah for you, LaTortuga, keep those miles coming. Sorry about your flight deal, PBJ but glad you had a good race, why is it a potential BQ? I thought the times were set for each age group.  I wish I was running Grammas half this weekend with you Amy, but will be leaving for a vacation with all the kids and kiddos, up North.

it was fun having DS here for 5 days even though I didn't see much of him.  He was here to sell Kettle corn at the Windsurfing Regatta and Unvarnished Music Festival.  It is fun to hang out by sailboard beach to watch everything and hear the bands. I came home early Friday night to put the little kids to bed, I guess that is Grandma's job.  DS had a record setting sales day since he was set up right by the beer garden. They could not even keep up at times.  Then the rains came during the night and down poured on Saturday, 5 inches in all. I know we did need the rain, but not quite this much.

Today we had severe storms and all the workers in the building were sent to the basement ( our office is already in the basement so we just went to the break room). When I finally left work I had to drive way out of the way to avoid the flooded streets.  I am sorry to say that I didn't get my run in today but did get a batch of Monster cookies baked for vacation.  Tomorrow I go to the dentist to get a temporary crown. Who would have thought that biting on a crouton would break a tooth?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

That paella looks delicious!!! and I am not surprised that your boys have good work ethics, having you as a role model it is not surprising at all. You have some very handsome boys at your side, ohh wiseone.

La Tortuga, way to start off the week with a few miles.

PBJ, I hope you make it home safely.

Star, pass me a few of those cookies!

Erika, what Aamos said about your foot. How is it feeling today? How is the garden planting coming along?

June is cut back month for me, so I am taking my time to recover well from my last two spring marathons. Today was core in the morning, 2 miles walk to and from work and a 6 miles up Kermel grade. I am starting to feel like a human being again.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard