Masters Running

Thursday, July 19 Daily (Read 439 times)

evanflein

It's close enough to midnight here, and Jay's about to get up to go race walk anyway... figured I'd start the daily for a change!

Wednesday I ran 6 miles at a pretty good clip, and happy to report that the shin pain is a non-issue now and my legs feel much more recovered from Sunday's "long" run (heh, of only 11+ miles). Good to go. Had dance practice at lunchtime and later in the evening. Feeling like we're in crunch-zone here for practicing, and we still don't have the last third of our routine from the coach. Yikes!

Mariposai, this is for you... as you can see, I don't have a weed problem. I do, however, have a moose problem.

They left a lot of usual targets alone (cauliflower, kale (only got one), chard and lettuce) but took the best of the developing broccoli (OUR favorite!) on a single pass thru the garden. DS2 came home and saw one moose in the garden, and he pelted it with hockey pucks but the moose was not impressed. I suspect one of these (seen earlier last week at the other end of our road, a mile away) is the culprit:

Planning on running 5-6 again on Thursday, then taking Friday off from work to get some personal stuff done (including a run). Will do a longer dance practice on Friday, something on Saturday then the infamous Gold Discovery Run on Sunday. Oy. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Now that's quite a garden pest!  What can you do to keep them out?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I thought the rabbits were bad this year. We have deer that strip everything but nothing like them.Shocked

Out for 4+ miles this morning - basically just another hot and sweaty run.  Temps were around 73F and humidity high and air was thick.  Overall a short easy run with no Moose or squirrel. Wink

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

SteveP

Wow Erika. The dog would freak out over those.

SteveP

coastwalker

You folks are up early (or stayed up late last night with Erika).

Sorry about the moose munchers. I didn't know they were such broccoli fans. I'm glad that your legs are doing better, especially at crunch time with the dance gig.

5.8 quick RW miles at 4:05 this morning: 69F with nicely drier air, but barely a whisper of a breeze. I worked pretty hard this morning, and had to back off for a bit in mile 4 because my breathing and my stride were both getting pretty raggedy. But I was able to regroup and keep up a decent pace back to our driveway.

I'm off to an important meeting regarding our half marathon, and then a critical meeting with our town attorney (we're reviewing documents for a 120-acre conservation easement that must close this month or we lose over $400 in fed. funds). Of course, I'll be on vacation next week, so almost everything has to be completed this week (no pressure, no pressure...)

Have a great day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! (again)

Leslie – that’s why I like to run in the dark.  That gives me the option of ducking behind shrubbery if I have an emergency situation like that.

Jay - where are you going for your vacation?

71 degrees this morning, even with the humidity, felt so much better than the low-80’s that have been the norm lately.

10 miles for me this morning, including 6 x 800m(200m recovery).  Paces for the intervals were:

8:19

7:58

8:05

7:58

8:09

7:43

No consistency there, but a little faster then the last time I did these.

DD's softball team is getting together tonight to scrimmage against a select team of the same age.  Hope we don't get clobbered.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wow Erika. I'll never complain about rabbits any more. At least I can scare them away! I guess I missed your post about the dance competition. When is it, and what dances are you doing?

Have a great vacation Jay. Be sure to send us a post card Smile

Holly - that little spitfire daughter of yours will NOT allow her team to get clobbered!

Had another great soaking rain overnight but it was coming down pretty hard when I got ready to run this morning. So, another morning at the Y. Ran 3 on the treadmill (I hate those things and don't know how you people do long runs on them), did 3 miles on the bike and 3 miles on the eliptical and a half hour of weights. DS#1 and DIL are looking to buy a bigger house (could there be a 3rd baby on the way???) so I'm watching my buddies Will and Ben for a few hours tonight. This will probably involve watching "Toy Story 3" at some point, Will's favorite movie, and one he's been watching every day for a couple of weeks I'm told.

To infinitety and beyond!!

...erika//............maybe you can Spray for 'em........

I'll get back to you.

=======

double weight sessions,

some

x-bike, but not standing

...........................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Moose steaks! 

Oh, I suppose that probably not legal.  When I went up to NH last time, we came back with a cooler full of moose steaks from my brother (legal).  Interesting.  Rather beef-like but very lean.

Anyhoo....very busy week so I'm lucky to get in a couple of 5-milers.  Temps are more moderate this morning, which helps.

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP

2 miles. As it's much cooler, I nearly ran with a shirt on. I'm very glad I didn't. However, to prepare for autumn, I did pretend I had a jacket on. Then I pretended to take it off and tie it around my waist.

On an unrelated note, the dog looks at me kinda weird. 

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

god morn erika.

good morning everyone

good morning / good morning holly

What can you do to keep them out?

Rhoon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

I can't see Erika's pictures at work. Sad

An easy 5 this morning. The weather man promised a break from the heat...wrongo bongo. Still hot and humid.

We missed all the storms thankfully but we need rain in a bad way.

This has been a very long week for being a short work week. I had Monday off and I'm busier than one legged man in a butt kicking contest but the week is just draggin by, that is until I get home then it seems like my evening is already spent and the to-do list gets longer.

Anixiously awaiting Friday night.

Henrun

2 days of no running (although 2 days ago I swam) has left me a bit antsy. Yesterday we had to pick up my 16 year old GS at the airport. He was awake at 3:30 to catch his flight. That made for a very irregular day for all of us. In the middle of the night he knocked on our door saying he was not feeling well. Turns out he was dehydrated-not enough water intake and, despite A/C, he was hot. With added fans, lowering of A/C temp and fluids he slept a long time till Marj got him up this morning-feeling much better. Of course we had to run in shifts. I ran 4.5 miles and Marj will run this evening since we have activities planned. I can empathize and sympathize with all you parents of adolescents-although we've been there and done that!  Today the museum of science - no fun in the sunSad.

Dave59

4 miles for me this morning. 

To get rid of moose, set up a big screen TV by the garden and show episodes of "The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show" on an endless loop.  The moose will be so disgusted at how they are being portrayed as dumb and stupid that they will leave and go somewhere else.

Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I can't see Erika's pictures at work. Sad

Slo-but-Fastie - me neither but if I click on quote I can.

erika - glad your shins are okay but are you sure they are okay for the Gold Discovery Run on Sunday.  Isn't that the hilly one up-and-down all the ridges up there that's supposed to be a local test of fitness for the Equinox?  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)