Masters Running

Thursday, July 19 Daily (Read 439 times)

So Erika ends the Wednesday thread and starts Thursday's? And I don't think that the flimsy fencing that I have around our garden to discourage deer would do much against moose (mooses? meese?). Glad they're not in my back yard!

On my way to get an oil change this morning, I realized how not sorry I am to not have to drive in commuter traffic any more. And after switching from a BMW to a Subaru I'm afraid that I've turned into one of those retirees that's just not in much of a hurry to get anyplace. This is especially an issue these days when what's marked as the speed "limit" is actually treated as the speed "minimum." If you don't believe me, try driving at or below the limit and observe the rude gestures people give you in your mirror or when they pass you! Roll eyes A long way to come down for a guy who used to drive a 200mph race car!

No running today, but I might go to the rec center this afternoon for another session in the pool. Things are starting to come around at last. 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Slo-but-Fastie - me neither but if I click on quote I can.

Nope, still can't.

King of PhotoShop

Beautiful garden Ek, and too bad about the moose.  Why not just poison them?

Just back from very busy road trip and didn't run the whole time.  I probably was due and in any case it can't hurt me to rest a few days.  Back at it tomorrow.

Riblet just got his driver's license and he is in that phase that many of you know all too well.  "Want me to go to the store for you for anything?"  I recall it lasts about 6 months.  What's been your experience?

Well the quiz was a big success in that a jillion people opened it. Thank you all. But it was not a big success in that even with Google help, no one got all the answers, so next time I have to make at least the majority of the questions a bit easier.

I had a trick question in there that only one person came close to getting right and that was Tet.  The question asked what Abebe Bikila wore on his feet in winning the 64 Olympic Marathon in Tokyo.  One of the choices was "Nothing. He ran barefoot."    Well, he became known as the "Barefoot Ethiopian" for winning in Rome in '60 when Adidas failed to provide him with the promised shoes, and he decided to run the way he trained:  barefoot.  But when he came back to the Olympics in '64 he did wear shoes, certainly not Adidas. He wore Pumas, so B was the correct answer.  Tet was right when he said Bikila wore shoes, but he thought Bikila wore Tigers, a pretty good guess since Tet knows the Japanese company well.  Tigers was not one of the choices however, so that should have been a hint to him.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good late morning.  no moose in our yard--just really hard to keep my container tomotoes watered properly.  although we do have someone(thing?) that's eating most of the blossoms off the couple of zucchini plants.  it will be amazing, but so far i have only one squash set.  not the usual for that veggie.

We had VERY large storm go through town yesterday afternoon.  Some neighboring towns had suspected funnel clouds.  Saw one large tree snapped off about 2' off the ground and another old oak that must have been 3' in diameter lost at least half of its crown.  It was at least a little cooler this morning.  Sort of surprising to have 65 feel cool, but didn't seem to help the run a great deal--only 3.1 and barely under 10 m/m.  getting up in the middle of the night to comfort Max the dog when anthoer storm came through probably had a little to do with that.  5:30 seemed to come awful quickly after that.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Nice moose. Was there a squirrel around as well?

Enjoy the journey roch. Hard to see stuff when you hurry from point to point. I'm starting to learn this.

Ribs - no clue but my 13 yo is already bugging me for the keys. Arghhh.

Finally getting some rhythm to my running. Figured out I'm running in too heavy of a shoe and went back to running in flats. It feels so much better. Yeah I know. It's odd but ......

Nice 10k today and we had 1 hour of rain. Yea! First in over 6 weeks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I guess we have been lucky so far with great weather, however, summer did not start here until July 4th, it had been cold and rainy until then (except for a bizarre 8 days of sunshine in February).

62F, 6am, sluggish run, not sure why.  But I did 6.3 miles which is pretty good.

Who else notices that they sweat first on one side of their head before the other side.  For me it is the left, starts to pour down my temple around 1 mile into the run, and around 1.5 miles, the right side kicks in.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Nice moose. Was there a squirrel around as well?

Big grin

............maybe some Moose-B-Gone Aerosol??????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi everyone.....

Still no job yet, so I don't spend as much time surfing the net. But I have a big shop that wants me to become an estimator for them, and possibly the manager in the near future. Which is just fine with me....I have a meeting with the owner this coming Tuesday, and he told me to please please not look another job.  I agreed, but I'm continuing to look regardless of what someone tells me with their mouth

I went through a bad spell a little while ago, but all is great and wonderful now. My back surgery took way longer to heal all up than I thought, plus all the nerves that had to heal up too....finally did. My running is going very well....albeit the heat and humidity is about to kill me. I tolerated the heat for a while, but the high humidity has slowed me way down....but the perceived effort is what counts in these conditions (that's what I tell myself when I slog through a run)

Great news too as my back is perfect now - no pain anywhere. I had more than the cyst on my spine wrong with my back, and was told I would need a spinal fusion.....not going through that anytime soon. I started doing a series of back stretches and strengthening exercises, and as long as I keep up with those I have no pain what so ever. I can even lift heavy objects now with no problem.

That's nice, and allows me to live life pain free and do what ever I want. Smile

Best news - remember Donna the beautiful lady I met last fall - 10/11/11 to be exact. Well, things could not be any better between us. For a long while we didn't see each other as much as we should (my stupid back) which caused a few problems with us.....but she was there for me through my toughest times (we live an hour apart) Then I had my job loss and I sorta isolated myself a little more than I should have. One night she told me she was going to start seeing other men, which TOTALLY shocked me into reality that I was losing my sweetie....reality slapped me hard in the face. I understood how she was feeling when I thought of it, but was devastated at the same time. All at once I realized how much I loved her, and how much I wanted to be with her. Yes, I fell in love with her a long time ago, and she fell in love with me too....but we had some miscommunication issues (which was mostly my fault I admit, and admitted to her)  We both wished we didn't have the distance issue, but it was what it was then.

After a fews times together talking things through, everything is perfect with us. We are not only back to where we were, but even closer than ever. I have made changes that allows me to be with her almost everyday, and she comes to be with me every other weekend. She has a son at home, so 1 or 2 days is alloted just for her and her son without me being there (he's 15)

We spent last week entirely together and we had the most wonderful time. Lots of talking - nice lunches in the park - bike riding, taking long walks, swimming - wonderful dinners, and holding each other in her hammock as the sun went down - sometimes not doing a thing, but just enjoying each other without saying a word. Oh, and ice cream Smile

Running is our common interest, and it's like a dream come true for both of us. I'm not one that likes to run with anyone really....never liked it much other than occasionally. But I love running with her. She is doing awesome and I'm helping her to run her first marathon this November in Indianapolis. She's usually between 40 and 50 miles a week now, and she's very smart about her running to not injury herself. Last week we ran 47 miles together, and it was some of the most miserably hot humid conditions I have ever ran in....she seems to tolerate the H&H more than me for sure. She thinks she is slowing me down on runs, but I keep telling her that is not true....I'm just running easy which I should be doing most of the time. I can do my speed work anytime.

And of all things....most here know I don't like running early in the morning. But every run with Donna last week was running at around 5:30 am.....I actually enjoyed that.

She likes that I encourage her running, and that I tell her how proud I am. She used to be inconsistent with her running and was injured a lot. Now she runs 6 / 7 days a week and it's paying off nicely for her. She'll be up to a long run of 16 miles next weekend, which I told her how big of a deal that is....then 20 will be her next big milestone till her marathon. As a runner.....she has what it takes. She has the same characteristics as many marathons runners here at RA. I noticed a small note on her mirror that told her how to become a marathon maniac - 2 in 16 days she had wrote down and she will do it I know (and I'll do it with her)

She surprised me the other day by showing me some houses we could possibly buy, and some in different cities close to both of us. I looked Donna in her pretty eyes and said.....I truly want to marry you. She hugged me, cried and said......well, 10-11-12 would be easy to remember - she had already thought about that Smile

Just talk for now.....but we are meant for each other we both know. I pretty much gave up on meeting someone like her...guess that's when special things happen.

Ok, off on a night time run....going to start 2 a days sometimes during the weekdays.

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein we can always count on you to have one of the more interesting stories on any one day!  If hockey pucks do not impress the moose what do you have to do to get them to move?  Shocked

tetsujin209 I never knew you had to get rhoon phast to your yard to get a moose to move!  Wow, he is going to be one very rich guy!

SteveP I bet chase is more likely!  My SIL's jack russells seem to think squirrels, deer, elephants, moose, . . . all the same.  Things to chase.  Roll eyes

Today I ran one of my old routes for a total of 10.7 miles.  I did it while listening to my new zombie app, Zombies, Run!  I finally figured out how it works.  You run around.  As you do so it tracks your speed and tells you that you have picked up stuff at various times.  After you get somethings it then tells you there are zombies 100 meters away.  At that point you have to book.  If you run fast enough, relative to your prior pace, you evade the zombies intact.  If you are too slow then it says you dropped an item to distract the zombies and get away.  So you never actually get bit.  On the other hand, as you acquire goodies your build your base so you are better off not having to drop things.  End result 10.7 miles with about 5 zombielecks tossed in!  Alas, at least one time I did not get away without having to drop something so in principle my avatar should revert back to zombie mode for a couple of days.  But, I do not have my zombie avatar on this PC so my avatar is safe this time!  Yes, as we have discussed previously, my brain stopped maturing around when I turned 14.  It just the way it is!  Joking

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Back home after a trip to Olympia for an afternoon meeting, then back home today. Unfortunatelly, my trip back home took way longer thanks to some work on Snoqualmie pass. Funny, 10 miles before the blast area (they are widening the road) they asked for all cell phone to be turn off until about 10 miles past the area. All I have to say is that I had an invigorating meeting yesterday and driving there was a blast! Wink.

Well, last night I walked for 2 miles with my friend. Today, all driving...NADA for me as far as exercise is concerned.

Now that I have dinner at the table for the boys, it is time for me to go for a long walk...hahhhh.

Life is grand! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody! 

Hey!  Congratulations, Tim!  I hope everything works out for you guys.  Good luck with the job, too! 

I went for 13.5, today, in 1:41:46...it was a nice run.  The sky was blue and there was some green grass and trees and the sun was up there in the sky.  Hah!  Jay ain't the only one who knows how to describe his runs...

Okay--speaking of gardens.  Every spring, I go to the landscape store things that they set up in mall parking lots and I buy a bunch of annuals to plant in different areas of our yard...including two large planters in front of our garage.  For the planters, I do the typical mix of flowers of different colors and textures and the one taller grassy type plant.  Well, I really just kind of wing it every year, not really knowing what it is I'm buying but...if they look good in their little pots, I get them.  Anyway, for this years "taller grassy type plant", I bought something a little different because it looked kind of cool...and the pots looked really nice...until those taller plants kept getting taller and taller...and taller!  My sister-in-law is a professional plant person (whatever those people are called) and she was over at our house this weekend for Eric's graduation party.  I saw her looking at those monsterous plants and I asked her if she knew what they were.  She laughed and said, "Yeah--it's corn!"  Yep--I'm an idiot.

Okay--I gotta go.  See ya!

Maniac 505

Hi Guys, 

Sorry I have been so MIA,  I will try to do better in the future.

Tim,  Great news.  so glad to hear it.

I am just getting over a toe infection,  been on antibiotics for the last week.  hopefully by stomach will get back to normal soon and I can start kicking it up soon.  (I am so out of marathon shape).

There has been some tragic international news lately that has kind of hit me hard.  You may have seen the small story,  a ferry between Tanzania and Zanzibar capsized with probably 150 lives lost a couple of days ago?

Some of you may remember when about 1.5 years ago I was offered a job in Tanzania (the offer was tongue in cheek, but they would have jumped if I was interested). 

In 1990, I was hired by Washington State Ferries (after a dozen years sailing on ocean going ships).  I was hired when WSF got funding to operate some recently acquired Passenger Only ferries.   I spent a total of about 8 years of my WSF career performing Maintenance and Repairs to the Passenger only fleet of boats until the voters decided we should only operate car ferries.

about 1.5 years ago, our two oldest passenger only ferries were sold to Tanzania for a ferry (across 50 miles of open ocean). 

Below is a picture of the boat when it was "mine"

WSF MV Skagit

This is a picture of the same boat Yesterday Cry

It really makes me sick.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It really makes me sick.

Dave - we were missing you but SRL and I were perfect gentlemen in the Tunnel of lov, I mean in the Snoqualmie Tunnel with the goddesses. However, it’s looking more and more like a kissin. .., I mean running fest at next year’s Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon reunion.   SRL might need our help though.  <<<(please/please)>>> 
                            ,’
                            You've got my tears too about your old, dear friend and those who died on her. What was her name?  I didn’t know her ins-and-outs like you did, and it’s a long story, but an uncannily similar image of a trawler sinking in the Bering Sea in 1985 still comes to life in my mind whenever I see her sister ships. It, and all the emotions that went along with it, did just now too.  After a while, try to think of the good times.
                            Swedish SumerRun?  Torchlight Run?
                             -------
                            tim -

that’s heavy, man, . . but no problem, . . as long as she okays your planned Ironman. 

Uhmmm, maybe have donna come out here sometime first so she’ll have some idea of what you might end up like if you end up like me. .

However, I think it will be okay as long as she ends up like some of the great goddesses in my age group out here too.  It already sounds like she’ll fit right in with our fantastic RA goddesses. Good luck. 

ps - Do you have any pictures? (not the hammock ones) - Smile 
                            Erika - would they just rip chicken wire apart?
                            - - - - --- -
                            Tselbs - it hasn’t happened like that since 2008 when francesca helped speed me through the same last miles as this year with her, dove and mariposai. I had no idea it was still possible but, even though the time doesn’t look like it anymore, it felt just the same as then, if not better.  I guess that’s why it’s possible to love running so much at any age.  Thank you and everyone.
                            Steve - not really, I just finally did what everyone’s been telling me to do for the last three years.  I’ll take it though next year if my secret idea to substitute a two-hour run for one of the one ones works for the boomer reunion at the 2013 Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon. yippee!

- - - - -

{{{{supergranny}}}}

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

unning fest at next year’s Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon reunion.   SRL might need our help.  <<<(please/please)>>> 

You've got my tears too about your old, dear friend and those who died on her. What was her name? .

Tet,  she was the Skagit,  Her sister ship is the Kalama.  Apparently, they did not change her name which is a good thing (Mariner lore says it is REALLY bad luck to change the name of a ship)  I've sailed on a few ships whose name has been changed and I can kind of vouch for it.

Seafair,  I'm working,   Swedish run,  I am off but I don't know if my stomach will be ready.

I think I am going back to where I was 8 or so years ago.  I will mostly just run races if I can walk to the start,  otherwise just run for fun.  (The days of flying to Hawaii Saturday night,  running Sunday morning, and flying home Sunday Night are over.

You would have to be CRAZY to do that (or be SRL)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim - that is wonderful news - I am so happy for you!

Mike - too funny!

Divechief - I remember when you were offered that job.  I'm sorry to hear about the tragedy with the ferry, but glad you were not on it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."