Masters Running

Wednesday (What day is it?), 7.23.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Last night's conservation commission meeting went for 4 hours and was grueling at times. But we worked through the key items on our agenda, and approved 2 permits for work in our wetlands conservation district, and denied 2 others. It is never fun to deny a permit, but we have to look at what is allowed under our ordinances, and what is in the best interests of the town, as well as those of the property owners.

Because my built-in alarm clock never shuts off, I was still up at 4:15 this morning, after about 5 hours of sleep. I relaxed on a couch with a book, hoping it would lull me back to sleep for a bit., but it sucked me in instead. Now I gotta go get ready for this morning's meeting, and hope that I don't snore through it. Maybe I should just wear some dark sunglasses so they won't see my closed eyes...

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Morning Jay and all who follow,

No grueling meetings here, only grueling HHH.  went out for 4 drippy, slow miles at 5:30 - the hills won!

hope everyone stays comfortable and has great runs/walks,

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay.  Sometimes I'm not terribly upset that I don't seem to have an internal alarm.  Like after sitting in a meeting until 11PM

3.1 drippy shorts miles this morning.  But there was evidence of a (VERY) little speed at 72F, so I was happy.  I took Monday off and celebrated by doing my long run then.  9.1 miles over the hilly course in Maine.  That was slow, but all running, and the big hill (to me, anyway) is feeling less intimidating.  Happy with the results.

Lame--best wishes on the long trip to support DD.  It sounds like he was an adventurous and happy young man, by the short article I found.  Makes it even harder to deal with.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

You deserve some civic service award, Jay.  important but thankless stuff.

I was curious from yesterday’s thread, so I looked up “Saw” on Netflix.  Uh…okay…definitely not my sort of thing but what got me is that there’s a whole Netflix category devoted to “Slashers and serial killers.”  Really?  This is entertainment in America? The Netflix recommendation algorithm knows us well enough to never suggest those sorts of films.  We tend to get recommended “dark cerebral foreign dramas” or “independent documentaries.”  Very low body counts.

5 mile swim this morning; no body of water necessary.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

My foot is a little puffy and sore this morning, but not too bad.  If I was a runner with a 7-year consecutive day running streak I am pretty sure I could run some today.  But since I am not a streaker, I will take the day off.

Due to a steady diet of SpongeBob, Twisted Whiskers and animal movies (ex. Beethoven) from when Annabelle was here you can imagine what kind of recommendations I get on Netflix.  Netflix did add the ability to have different users, but that came along too late for me.

Sayhey! MM#130

Court yesterday.  Read everything.  Ribs in serious hot water.  Very.

Jay, what Tramps said.  And  what book was it that mept you awake?

Mari, glad you could get in a run.  Thanks for updaing us.

Congrats to hub and you Leslie.  So many folks do not successfully complete probation, it really is an accomplishment.

Godspeed, lamerunner.

Wish we had a seties like yours, Erika.  Good luck amd keep us posted.

Can't say what I am doing today.  Did run 8 this am easy.  Super speedwork last night.  6.3 miles at 7:39 and that includes the warm up and cool down miles.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

drippy shorts miles this morning. 

Ditto.  But was 10.2 miles around 8:30 pace overall. Temps were 67-69F with humidity.  Better than running later today with temps in mid 90F's with humidity.

Enjoy the day all.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

King of PhotoShop

I braised a bone-in pork loin one day for about a jillion hours, and when I took it out of the dutch oven Aamos says, "Are you sure it's done?"  I'm telling you, the woman can't cook.

Got in 7.1 solo miles this morning, as Wed is the only day my wife goes into work early and can't run with me.  Would have done another mile but there were several moose along the trail and I was a bit intimidated by them.

Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Well, that was meat.  Don't you have to cook it for a long time to be sure it's dead? 

So I was at jury duty, but we were dismissed; all those lawyers scurrying around having the "come to Jesus" meetings with their clients the morning of trial and settling cases.  HAppy to be in the jury pool and not out there doing that dance anymore.

Kevin!  Check this!  

Top 10 happiest metropolitan areas with a population greater than 1 million (as of 2010):

1. Richmond-Petersburg, VA
                    2. Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA
                    3. Washington, DC
                    4. Raleigh-Durham, NC
                    5. Atlanta, GA
                    6. Houston, TX
                    7. Jacksonville, FL
                    8. Nashville, TN
                    9. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton, FL
                    10. Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon, NJ

See?  It's true, about it being the happiest marathon.   You'll have a blast!

Always nice to hear from Deez (yesterday), and seems as if Holly had similar weather to ours.  It was 75 at 6:21 this am.  Of course, that's good news here; it's under 80.

Lightening strikes at the beach yesterday, one fatal.  Evidently hit the victim in the head.  We're all rethinking our somewhat cavilier attitudes about being out and about in storms.  Still, chances of being hit by lightening are 1 in 12,000.

Stay safe, and happy hump day, y'all.

A

ps: so i wore my compression sleeves after the speed work last night, just to be prudent.  Heck of a time getting them OFF.  (I have fat calves.)  Wow, for a few moments, I thought I might have to cut 'em off.  Any secrets, tips?

Also, any recommended Nuun flavors?

Getting excited about visiting the City Lights Bookstore in a few days!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Lightening strikes at the beach yesterday, one fatal.  Evidently hit the victim in the head.  We're all rethinking our somewhat cavilier attitudes about being out and about in storms.  Still, chances of being hit by lightening are 1 in 12,000.

Not  single CA city on that list.  Figures.

2Kitty - We're having unseasonably warm weather for the summer . . . . so that means we're actually getting to experience what summer is all about like the rest of the country.  I DID wear my ear pops and gloves yesterday to start, though.

I don't think we have moose.  I'll check and let you know.

Some people's slow is another person's "I can't believe I ran that fast!" - and only if it's downhill.

That's why Wildchild keeps tearing it up at all the ultras.

Was suppose to get up and run 4, but I fell back to sleep.  Went out to the shed and did about 40 min of core/ST instead.  Will either run this evening or tomorrow morning.

That's about all the excitement worth reporting at this point ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

Top 10 happiest metropolitan areas with a population greater than 1 million (as of 2010):

1. Richmond-Petersburg, VA
                        2. Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News, VA
                        3. Washington, DC

No wonder I'm always so chipper.  I live right between Richmond and Washington.

Leslie, on the bright side, none from CA were on the unhappiest list either.

Top 10 unhappiest metropolitan areas with a population greater than 1 million (as of 2010):

1. New York, NY

2. Pittsburgh, PA

3. Louisville, KY

4. Milwaukee, WI

5. Detroit, MI

6. Indianapolis, IN

7. St. Louis, MO

8. Las Vegas, NV

9. Buffalo, NY

10. Philadelphia, PA

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140722103917.htm

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not exactly sure what it means, but all but one of the happiest AND only one of the unhappiest are south of the Mason-Dixon line.

looking forward to a happy marathon in Richmond (even if everyone else except Tramps seems to have shuttled off to Philly)

BTW, no moose this morning, just my friend Sophie  the Golden.  I did not have to deal with the look of disapproval as I remembered the biscuits today.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

I don't know how you can be unhappy in a city that has a professional hockey team. 

Happiness isn't dependent on the weather, but I don't see how so many southern cities are happy.  After 2 years in Houston, these last 13 years in Michigan have been way better.  I would sweat more walking from my car to the front door of a store in Houston than a 10 mile run in Michigan.

evanflein

Yeah, Amy has fat calves. I so believe that. Amy, are you trying to just pull them off from the bottom? Try rolling down from the top?

Ribs, snork! Watch out for those moose. They're sneaky.

We were pretty excited about the weather forecast last night that had zero percent chance of rain today, just partly cloudy. So... this morning it's overcast and drizzling. Gotta love it. Worst Fairbanks summah, evah! Legs feel much better today. I'll get out for a little run later. Maybe it'll dry up a bit this afternoon.

Slo

An easy 5 this am. Nice little cold front cam thru.

Erika, We had excellent weather when we visited Alaska last year. A typical Alaskan summer is what we were told. It was a few weeks after the heat wave.