Masters Running

Hey! It's Sunday! It's September 21st! And this is the Daily! (Read 37 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  Congratulations to all of yesterday's racers and good luck to today's!

I really don't have a lot to say except--THE VT50 IS ONE WEEK FROM TODAY!!!!  And I let Friday come and go without changing to the 50K!  And I don't know if I should use my hand held, my belt, or my vest...or prove to tet that I don't have to take anything at all.  But how about that weather forecast?  A mix of sun and clouds...highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 50s...a light west wind at 5 mph...and only a 10% chance of rain.

Okay--I'll leave you all alone...sorry to disturb your quiet Sunday morning...

...mornin' mike//............anything else you might want to add????

==========

...after a week long layoff

I eased into my work-outs with an easy bike ride

wondering

if I was going to have any problems,

I was greatly re-assured

when I got to my school parking lot and found a guy with two mastiffs OFF THE LEASH

and

a parked car with two ladies with NewYorkAccents having a fight in the middle of the parking lot

Whew,

it was going to be a Normal BikeRide after all.

............60-min bikeride 7-up and 7-Down

the dogs were well behaved

and the ladies drove off

....................Life is Good

....My Thanks again to everybody who posted Happy B'Day wishes to Claire, she LOVE the ''Adventurer Doggie'' video.......

...........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Well, the big news is the great racing by EK and the TrackRat at the Equinox. He PR's and she wins her AG. Great job.  Also, interesting coincidence that they call the race the Equinox and hold it on September 20th!

The Saint and I lugged our tired bodies out to the Lake on a clear, cool morning to do a 4 mile recovery run. She was disappointed that I wanted to run only 4, thinking she would do 8 herself.  But father knows best. After 4 she was just as tired as I was!

With my youngest son working on weekends, and my oldest often busy, and my middle son working on his art projects, we never know who will join us for dinner on the weekends. Today it's the middle son.  That means tons of vegetables and probably a roast chicken on the grill.  Looking forward to it.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, that VT forecast looks good!  A bit on the warm side, but good!  I'm pretty excited about the trip, too, mostly because I get to see you and Holly and Skip again, and I get to meet Karin and Jennifer (lamerunner)!  And I might get to see Henrun and Marj again.   Oh  yeah, and there's that running 50 miles part...   well, if I can beat the cutoff, I'll get a nice PR!  

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

and now starr's running more races than ilene.

pasie - how was the twenty miles on carmen yesterday.

They say anyone can ride a bike as we did in childhood

but it's totally different to get on those narrow tires,

10-12 gears and hand brakes after so long.

Why the long layoff?

Glad you're back, . . . and okay..

ps mikeE - You need extra weight of hydration paraphernalia to bog you down between the convenient aid stations about as much as you need the extra weight of shoes that still handicap a lot of runners.  At least do one or not the other.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

when I got to my school parking lot and found a guy with two mastiffs OFF THE LEASH

and

a parked car with two ladies with NewYorkAccents having a fight in the middle of the parking lot

Whew,

it was going to be a Normal BikeRide after all.

After the recent change in carriers, we finally got our home Wi-Fi reconfigured.  We debated several possible names, including "A Van Down By The River," "The Promised LAN," "Alien Outpost," and "NSA Surveillance Van #1833," but I won out with "I'm Under Your Bed."    

10 miles for me this morning in a humid 71 degrees.

Do you think it's possible to lose 10 lbs. before next Sunday?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I ran 2 this morning just so I could get to 30 miles for the week.  I just ate too much pizza for lunch. Is there anyway to go back in time and warn myself not to do that because I'll regret it later?

Ad for today's Fall Frolic that I signed up for:

You don't get many second chances in life, but here's one in the local running world. Let's admit it, the Labor Day New Haven 20k was a survival shuffle, not a race, due to weather from the tropics; even the elites turned in the slowest times in 34 years. If you want another shot at turning in a good 20k time this year, come to the Lordship section of Stratford on September 21 at 7:25 a.m. for the Fall Distance Frolic. While the 30k is the featured event, lots of people do 2 loops of the course to make it a 20k (there's even a single loop 10k option too). Lots of ocean views and plenty of aid stations along the way (and at how many other events is one of them at the race director's house?).

Dew point today:  70°.

I signed up for the 30k (3 loops).  After the second loop I packed it in.  Sometimes three, not two, is the charm.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

It does sound like a good forecast for VT50.

Holly - no dieting the week before a race!

I need to lose 5lbs before my 5K in two weeks.

I went out for 4 miles.  Not even a mile into it, the dang knee hurts again.  I walk, I try starting up a few times and still hurts.  I walk a bit more, start again, and NO PROBLEMS for the rest of the run 4.3 miles.  Warmish - 70F, so I didn't feel like doing more.  I am keeping MikeE's knee story in mind (not totally discounting a pinched nerve in my back anyway), but it seems like a knee alignment thing, and if I find the right form, there is no issue.  I tried running more on the ball of my foot on that leg - maybe that was the trick?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Back from a lovely w/e in portland, me area. some biking - not as much as we wanted, but that's ok.  lots of friends, good food, etc. left early because of the rain, spent some time with GD and had a short run on the way home.

if the VT forecast continues, we'll get to meet Mike and Skip - didn't know Skip was going to be there - and see everyone else - woo hoo!   and all without running 50 something

congrats to the racers this w/e and good runs to everyone else and walk to jay who will return at some time,

marj

Just realized I posted today on yesterday -- oh well ....night shift hangover!!!

denise

BTY

A lot of that going around Denise.

8 miles today - I actually did a long run. I kept conservative on the way out so I had something left for the way back - which was uphill. 35:57 / 37:00. 9:07 average pace. I've never run this route before. I hope to use this route and then extend it about a mile per week over the next month. 15k is 7 weeks away. I may actually be trained for one, for once.

and now starr's running more races than ilene.

pasie - how was the twenty miles on carmen yesterday.

They say anyone can ride a bike as we did in childhood

but it's totally different to get on those narrow tires,

Not likely, tet, this is it for a while. You are right about the newfangled bikes.  I thought I made a huge mistake the first time I rode mine here at home. It so different than what I was used to.  I am even getting used to those crazy clipless pedals.

Holly, obese people can drop 10 pounds in a week, but I doubt that you or anyone here could do that. We have a really dumb name for our network, just our last name. I like yours better.

Isn’t it about time for MikeE to start getting all worked up about that airplane flight?

Wildchild, you have a great PR ahead of you, I am sure. I didn’t know Skip was going to be there. That’s a blast from the past.  You guys are gonna have a blast. Well the 50 mile part doesn’t sound like fun to me, but the rest does.

Tomwhite – you run into the craziest people sometime. Glad the dogs played nice.

The Alaska crowd would be fun to run with sometime. Great job for Trackrat’s PR and Erika’s AG win. You make running in those conditions look easy.

The Saint and Ribs are having great fun going to races and training together. That is so awesome. Just last May she told me she didn’t want to run, just walking a lot, well look at her now! In 2 years she’ll be bringing home even more AG awards.

Enke – Maybe you need new shoes, can’t that make aches and pains appear suddenly.

Marj & henrun – glad you are back from biking, and so glad that those seniors let you guys join them. Hope your daughter is doing OK.

Dave – you aren’t the only one who runs just to get the mileage to a magic number.

Last night I laid awake for an hour and finally took a muscle relaxant pill. Well it worked and woke up with just 45 minutes to get to church for music practice. I was the planner/leader & pianist so that’s what kept me awake.  We have a new slide projection system that uses “The Cloud”. I don’t know much about it, but it is pretty slick!  Anybody can work on stuff and ta-da, it’s all there in one spot.

I canned two big batches of salsa after church then went for an 8 mile bike ride. I should have worn long sleeves but I am holding out for an Indian Summer. We have to get the winter duds out way to soon as it is.  Now it’s time for “Food, Football, Film and Fun” at an all-church party. I guess I’ll have to wear long sleeves after all.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

lamerunner

Hello.   Congratulations from me too to the racers. Very impressive!  Weird weekend of weather here.  Frozen in our kitchen yesterday  morning and absurdly humid and warm today.  I ran 10 on the rail trail yesterday and felt ok, though hungry-- I went late after long and draining discussions with DH about  DD. Also swam 3/4 mile and vacuumed yesterday. The vacuuming only counts because I hate it.  Today I ran on the rail trail again, thought about going out to Tower Hill pond for more hilly terrain but just did not have the energy.  So I ran another 10 in humid, foggy, drizzly conditions, and very warm.  It is now nearly 80 degrees and shockingly humid for this time of year in NH. The steps inside the house are slippery!

I am still on the fence about whether I go to Vermont and I really don't think it is a good idea for me to try to run 50k with no long runs to speak of and unreliable strength. I guess I better decide really soon so at least I rest..  I really want to see Carolyn, Holly and Mike though.

On DD, we learned this past week that she had dropped her calculus class-- we checked on her loan and found out it had not been funded because she is not in class-she never told us she had dropped it.  I guess in my heart I knew there was a risk she was not yet ready for rigorous academics after dealing with her boyfriend's death this summer, but we wanted her to try to stay on track.  I guess she just could not focus.  One of the deans at the school will talk with her again this week to see if she is up to getting back to a class next block.  I sure hope so; we cannot afford to pay tuition and have her not in class, and I don't think the school will let her stay in campus housing too long without being in class. She could drop the semester ( and we could get credit for tuition) but then she has to move off campus ( with her cat etc.) and I think she could get pretty derailed.  with the block plan, I do  think she gets one "free" summer block, so maybe  she can make this up next summer.   The whole thing stinks. We are worried about her.  I am going out there Columbus Day weekend to see her.

happy fall! should be some good weather coming up.

Mariposai

Another fun filled day in our RA family daily.

I am still in awe at Erika's AG win with those conditions!

No running for me today. I am still wiped out after my 46 miles bike ride yesterday. I did spend the afternoon Skyping with my son in Macedonia, taking care of summer flower pots, and cooking to my heart's content. I love summer time cooking there is so much produce in my garden to cook the neighborhood and everything is so much tastier when is ripen in your own backyard.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard