Masters Running

Monday, October 13 Columbus Day runs and such (Read 494 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Dg – is Duckgeek the same person as Labduck? Tammy - I made up the 7-grain hot cereal from the recipe you gave me and it is delicious! I made some alterations, because the health food store I went to didn’t have any triticale or rye, so I doubled the oats and I added a little more water and didn’t drain it at the end because I like my oats a little thinner. When it was almost done I added cinnamon, splenda, and raisins, and it is unbelievably good. No run for me today, the usual 30-minute mixed bag of weights and core work. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Holly, and everyone else...thanks for starting us off today, and nice running for you Smile I didn't post my runs over the weekend because I was soo disappointed, especially Sat. My M training has been going well, so I wasn't expecting such a Carpy run at this stage of training. Was suppose to run 14 or 15 miles with 8 at MP. I felt good getting out of bed and was looking forward to a great run in IRC. When I started my 3 mile warm up I noticed my HR was waaaay to high for just a warm up, but know sometimes a run can start bad and end up good....not Sat. I took off at MP at mile 4 and my breathing was out of control and I had NO legs what so ever. I tried 1 more mile at MP, but had to stop as my pace was dropping more and more. I stopped and sat down under a tree and tried to figure out what was wrong to no avail. So decided to just run the rest of the miles easy to get the miles in. My HR was so high I had to stop about every mile to recover enough to just get home. I only made it 10 miles and barely made it home. This was a big blow to my confidence, but also know we all have bad runs sometimes. Ran an easy 7 yesterday and felt better. I now have one more week till taper, and hope this week goes better....which I know it will. One more 20 plus miler and 30 mile weekend coming up, which I need to do well at for confidence purposes. I think maybe my good / hard efforts on my Weds night track workouts may be affecting my Sats runs. I had a 1/2M PR 2 Weds ago then my Sat 20 miler was not good, then last Weds I had a 5K PR within a fast long run, then a Carpy run this past Sat...just trying to figure this stuff out which is hard sometimes. It's amazing how just ONE bad run messes with a person's mind like this Roll eyes Guess I figure if I post my good runs...I should also post the bad ones too, huh? Guess I am to damn hard on myself sometimes because of my competitive spirit. Have a good day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning Holly & Tim, 10.13 miles of hills @ 9:07 pace on a beautiful fall morning...clear skies and stars at the start and a beautiful sunrise as I finished...doesn't get much better than that.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tim.....What?? You haven't been posting the carpy runs?!! Big grin Don't worry....just look at your training....that's your confidence right there....you'll be fine...no, more than fine, you'll be greta.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Tim, a high HR can mean many things. You may be getting sick. A higher than normal resting HR often portends that.
            "And yet our better runners...Perch, Maine, Breger, Tramps, Gordon, etc."
            DickyG, putting this guy in with the others is a big error. Besides, Erika is already a better runner than I am. Don't use me as an example for her. Vice versa more like it ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Morning!! Saw the results from Victoria... My coach ran the half in 1:27 won his division His wife in her first marathon ran a 3:35 and came third in her division...WooHoo...and also easily qualified for Boston I'm really happy for both of them...they've been working really hard...
              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim, a high HR can mean many things. You may be getting sick. A higher than normal resting HR often portends that. Bill
                Thanks Bill, I feel fine and do not feel sick what so ever...almost wish I was which would explain things better...well not really, but you know what I mean. Thanks evryday, I know I will be fine...just irritated Evil grin. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Seven miles easy on the treadmill. Hartford was a 3:32 net time. We did 8:16's for the first half, and 7:59's for the second half. I'm pretty sure that was my first negative split marathon. Pete (the first timer I was pacing) also netted a 3:32. He's 44, and one minute faster would have been a BQ for 2010 for him. Since his 3 goals going in were 1) finsih, 2) under 4 hours, and 3) under 3:45 - he did great. The other two first timers finished in about 3:45 - so they also exceeded their expectations. They all proved that long runs (we had done five 20+ miles this cycle) are the key to finishing a marathon. And Pete's gonna be a special marathoner - I guarantee it.
                  Tramps

Tim—Sorry to hear of the tough run. You’ve been doing amazing training, though. While this run may be a sign of having pushed too hard or some impending illness, also remember that all those other training runs “count” too. You’re in great shape and come taper time you’ll be flying again. Peter—nice 10 miler, especially on a Monday. Thanks for the supportive comments on my RR. It was nice to have a race go so well and to see some payoff for all those hot and humid summer runs. Easy 5.3 today at a sproinky 8:30. Nice temps today but mid-to-upper 80s forecast for the next few days, bringing back a touch of summer. (I’m not complaining, though, given all those snow reports in Colorado, Montana, and Alaska. Brrrrr.) ETA: PBJ--Nice job pacing! Are you free in mid-November? Wink I hope you're right about those long runs; I've done several more this cycle!

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. this is the peak of the training and your body gets tired. That's why injuries occur so close to taper. You were smart not to push it. Good days, bad days.. hard to figure out. Gordon.. I guess that's why he's the coach! This morning was a nice soleus stretch then 30 min spinning followed by 4 miles in 35:09 (8:46 pace) with Tory then more stretching. I guess that's a BRICK. It is so wierd when you run after high cadence spinning the leg turnover during the run starts really high. I was flying at the start (pain free).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

6 easy miles with T...8:06 pace... Holly-Duckgeek is a different poster than Labduck Tim-You'll have good days and bad days...if it was easy,everyone would do it...
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          Tim - that coach of yours is kicking your butt Smile . Listen to your body -- you may be overtraining or on the verge of overtraining. Remember that the taper is magic -- if you let yourself taper properly (don't run any harder than planned). You'll do great in the 'thon itself. Me? I rested today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

xor

A friend of mine died a couple weeks ago from something that I've managed to live with for longer than I'd like. Anyway, I ran the Spokane Marathon (he was from Spokane) on Sunday with this shirt: 3rd time to post, fingers crossed: Image and video hosting by TinyPic Hard race, but very pretty. And great weather, except for being 24 degrees at the start.

DickyG

Armed pirates hijacked a massive tanker as world powers headed toward the Somali coast to end a two-week standoff aboard a ship laden with tanks and weapons. Pirates who have been holding the Ukranian MV Faina for two weeks have threatened to destroy the vessel unless a ransom is paid. The head pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow, was quoted as saying "like everyone else, we've suffered big losses during the world's financial crisis. We're almost completely out of grog, peg legs, and eyeliner." The Sunday long run Hall of Fame: Bill, Maine, Holly, dtoce, Deb (Deb? yeah, Deb!!!), & Aamos. Way to go, everyone! Twocat: So sorry about your TP...wish I were able to offer anything constructive. But rest assured she's lucky to have a good friend like you. Perch: It took all these years for them to determine that right leg is a little longer than left one? That's weird, man. Erika: (sigh)...a typical day at the airport. You actually did well to get in any type of run at all. Tim: You realize, of course, that we can over-analyze things. You yourself said "we all have bad runs sometimes." Your training has gone too well to let it shake your confidence now. Carolyn: You're now the second or third to report snow..my skis are waxed... Ran 5.2 miles this morning in 47:01 (9:03)...about average for me. Did manage to run all the last hill instead of walk part of it. Thousands of NASCAR fans already pouring into town although because of the economy it might not be a sellout this time. I do know that all hotel space is booked but the Speedway owner, who lives on my street, told me that a sellout is unlikely. They even lowered ticket prices about $5 and are having drawings in the paper & on local radio stations. TV ratings should still be strong...race fans love short track racin'. DickyG
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

7.6 miles in IRC this morning - 55 degrees, overcast, and calm. After the first 5 miles, I walked more than I would usually, because my friend's hip was bothering her. I hope it gets better quickly! It's very frustrating for her. I'm just thrilled, though - I've run over a week now with no pain of any kind - my right foot is finally recovered, ankle and arch! 4 1/2 months I've waited for this. Kids home from school today, so I won't have to drive all over creation later - whoo hoo! Have a great week!