Masters Running

It's February! 2.1.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Oatmeal, bed-wetting, sons celebrating milestone birthdays, good runs/workouts of all sorts, "ice A$$," and banter about running and racing and lap-counting and meet-ups and sleeping baths in Japan made for a lot of fascinating reading of yesterday's daily!

Yesterday's Deliberative Session started right on time at 8:30am, and we slogged through discussions of all of this year's 49 warrant articles and got out of there at a few minutes after 5pm. The most interesting/lively discussions were around the proposed town budget and an article to reduce the size our town's budget committee. Much to my pleasant surprise, a few former budget committee members endorsed reducing the size of the committee. My nemesis on the budget committee made several unkind and unwarranted remarks about the Board of Selectmen that came back on him later on in ways that made him look foolish. There was some discussion about a couple of my warrant articles, but I think I was able to address the issues well enough. The one article that we are most concerned about got a surprising amount of support from some people I'd never met before. All in all, it was a productive session. Now all those warrant articles will be voted on at the polls on March 10.

I woke at 2 this morning, and was wide awake. I stayed in bed for another hour, but sleep wasn't coming. So I got up and read for about an hour and a half. Then I dozed for about half an hour, and then headed out for a workout. I didn't need my YakTraks as yesterday's sun and traffic had cleared enough of the roads so I could get some traction. I went 8.3 RW miles in 11F temps (-3 WC). Nice morning! Maybe a nap later.

Yep - they (yes: THEY) are telling us to expect another 8-12" of snow tomorrow! If the groundhog were here, we wouldn't see it, and it wouldn't see it's shadow.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//...........yep, Winter is here

=========

...ugh 60-min bikeride hill repeats in 30-degrees and 25-mph gusts

ironically,

I had set the seat too high and was virtually standing up on my ''Giant Brand'' comfort bike

so

I pretended I was Running Again.......(.hey, if I can get 60-min of Total Enjoyment riding a damn bike, I get to Pretend sometimes)

..Claire Visit in progress,

taking her back in Rain and Strong Winds,,,,,,,,,,temps dropping into the 20's tonite to freeze it solid

............be careful out there guys..........and Watch Your Footing

unless you're Running on a Bicycle

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

With the next storm coming tomorrow we were able to change our flight and are leaving for Phoenix later today. We'll get there while the game is in progress. We were able to book a room for tonight and will probably see a lot of celebrants (hopefully Pats fans). No running today- lots of last minute errands. We'll save our running for the warmer days ahead.

New skirt in town

I want a sleeping pool like Tet!!

My foot still felt terrific after yesterday's 10-miler, but I'm still cautious.  I did 50 min of resistance work, followed by an hour on the elliptical, and then my ballroom dance lesson.  I'm so ready for a sleeping pool...but instead we are getting ready for another 10-12 inches of snow.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Tramps

We're dodging the next storm again.  Just rain forecast here.

It's been crazy-busy for the last couple of days and I missed my runs.  The unexpected benefit is that, with all that rest, today's longer run was pleasantly sproinky.  14 miles in the mid 30s under dark and threatening cloud but no rain.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

I want a sleeping pool like Tet!!

Me too!

Our sudden bounce up in temps mean that we are getting rain instead of snow, but could get some overnight when it cools down again.  The kids are keeping their fingers crossed for a snow day, but I have my doubts.

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 34 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

6 mile run this morning, which gives me 21.2 for the week.

David got invited to a friends birthday/superbowl party that he's going to. We have been encouraging him to do more social things with friends (he tends to be a homebody), so I'm glad he's hanging out with a bunch of buddies today, but SB just won't be the same w/o him here.  so, sort of a bubble burster for me, but such is life - he's a teen and will be doing more things with friends.

Tammy

Dave59

I made it home from the WV office yesterday and ran 2.58 miles so I could meet my goal of 100 miles a month (minimum).  Now I am going to give my sore hip a couple days of rest from running.

I did have to carry a bunch of stuff out of the basement today because we are getting new carpet down there tomorrow.  So about a dozen trips up and down the stairs was my only activity.

We're on the very northern edge of this storm.  It is windy and we are getting some light snow.  We have about 4 inches on the ground and the prediction is a total of 3 to 7 inches by the time it stops snowing. That won't be enough to cause any disruptions or keep the schools closed.

My TV signal keeps cutting out.  I called AT&T and they can send someone tomorrow. The bad news is that I'll miss some or all of the Super Bowl. The good news is that I don't have to suffer through any more of New England's bush league trick plays. It makes you really miss the days when teams lined up and played straight up against each other,  

YAY - It's February!!  I miss you guys and need to get back here more often!!

My plantar fasciitis is on the mend -- today up to 2.5 miles on the treadmill and no pain. Stuck my foot in a bucket of snow after and rolled on an ice water bottle - oh the fun of it all!! Have to ditch the slippers at home - that's definitely when it starts to act up more - and stick to indoor sneakers for some support.  Cross-training like crazy and feeling good - lots of indoor biking, swimming, strength classes, stretching and even went to a yoga class today.

Now time for soak in the hot tub then GOOOO PATRIOTS!!

Happy Super Sunday my friends!!

denise

Hey, Robin! Probably old news, but I saw your name in the latest Runners World yesterday (just got around to downloading it onto my tablet -- we get it free through our local e-library). I'm one who admittedly slacks off on sunscreen when running. Strangely, I never fail to apply it before biking -- maybe because more of that is on open sun vs shady trails.

Glad to hear your PF is healing, Denise. Sounds like you're following the same cross-training regimen that I've been on.

We're having one of those "stealth" snowfalls. That is, it's not a blizzard and is just gently falling, but it's been falling since I got up and may go on for another 12 hours. Should have close to a foot by morning, especially with the drifting that we always get. Looks like a shut-in or snowsport day tomorrow! Winter has finally arrived.

Went to the gym this morning when there was only an inch or so on the ground and had a good workout, going a full hour on the TM before doing my usual circuit of the machines. I'll really be ready for the next opportunity to run outside.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody...and Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

Tammy--I'll bet, after tonight, David realizes that the best place to watch the Super Bowl is in his own home.

No run again, today...healing the heel.

Okay--I gotta go--there's a  game coming on.  See ya!

Mariposai

No running today, too busy cooking and planning a super bowl party.

Go

Seahawks 

Gooooo

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

No run for me today either. Just didn't feel like it. But I did vacuum the house and do some filing, so got something done. Other than that, it's a lazy Sunday: the best kind!

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Denise. I've never had PF and from the description of others' experience, I'm very thankful for that!

Robin, you'd never know you'd been dealing with an injury. You have an impressive mileage total for January. Well done!

I was thinking I might go run on the treadmill later, but I'm already sipping a beer and snacking, and DH is making banana bread. We'll grill chickens (beer can chicken) on the charcoal grill with the smokebox soon. Yeah... I'm not running today. It didn't warm up much anyway so phooey. Smile

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Since Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll seems to follow my training plan for running, if he even runs, I thought it would be a great idea for him have Seattle Quarterback Russell Wilson throw a touchdown pass for a last minute win in Superbowl  XLIX when the Patriots (and everyone else in the world) would be thinking Marshawn Lynch would run the one remaining yard in for the win on any of the next three plays the Seahawks had in the bank.

After all, Marshawn’d just received a pay raise to $10,000,000 for 2015 (instead of only $5,000) for being one of the best runners in the game and who, at over 100 yards in the Superbowl so far, was more than double anyone else and ten yards more than the next three players put-together.  Further, while the Patriots’ quarterback had thrown two interceptions, Russell had a clean record for the day and no fumbles either. 

Whoops. Sorry.  I guess I’ll go back to running.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)