Masters Running

Saturday, 4.2.16 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Did anyone read the story Thursday night/yesterday about Trader Joe's closing all their stores and going out of biz? Our niece sent a text to us about it, and she was soooo unhappy. After a couple of minutes, we got back to her and told her to read to the end of the story where it said April Fools!

Great critter stories yesterday. Our cat loves to catch mice in the basement and bring them upstairs. But then she doesn't know what to do with them, so they get away, go back to the basement, and wait to be caught another day.

I did an easy RW 5K this morning in 45F temps, under overcast skies. After breakfast at our favorite dive with DW, I have a racewalking training session this morning. Then I'll head to Trader Joe's (before they close forever!) for some grocery shopping, and stop on the way home to pick up my bib for tomorrow's 5-miler. The forecast for tomorrow is for rain changing to snow, temps in the low 30s, and high winds. Swell. My only concern is snow-covered roads where I can't get any traction - that would be a deal-breaker.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Great!  The guy had to pick a day when it's 28and a 25 mph wind for his first race.  Oh well, if he does badly I can blame it on the weather instead of the training plan.

We could get snow here as well ... the NYT on running

http://www.nytimes.com/well/guides/how-to-start-running

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Dave59

Windy and cool, 47°, out there today for my 5k. It was the first annual concussion awareness run and was put on by the athletic department at Marshall University. They had a ton of volunteers and great traffic control. Its too bad that so few people showed up. But there are bunch of races in the area today so the area runners were split up among them. The proceeds, if there were any, were to go to local area schools for concussion training or something like that.

No real racers there today. No one would walk up to the staring line, so I did. I never started in the center of the front row before. I was passed by 20 people in the first 100 yards but it was still interesting.  I should stand out good on the photos of the start. 

I felt pretty good today and kept up a good pace (for my current level of fitness).  8:44, 9:06, 8:40, :46.  The first half was into the wind but I spent a lot of that following a guy who had headphones on so he didn't know what I was doing. I passed him in the last mile. I hope he was in my age group.  

I didn't stick around for results. I don't think there were even 50 people there and I could have been the only one in my age group.  Its hard for me to judge ages.

coastwalker I saw the Trader Joe's piece yesterday. I never shop there so I did not have a personal reaction to it. Just thought it was your standard, if somewhat odd, business story. Until I say it was an April fool's joke! Felt sort of silly for not recognizing it sooner.

Dave59 man if I thought I would get an AG award I would stick around. No matter if I was 1 out of 1! I have no shame. 

Mouse #5 has been relocated. I suppose the good news is that I may have run out of the orange-brown ones. (One can only hope.) This is one is a standard issue gray field mouse. When we arrived at the Christmas tree farm the little guy did not want to leave the cage. Once out, I was surprised that he did not make a dash for the rocks that were nearby. I just kind of poked around for a bit and then wandered off.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Another two mile round tripper down to Mary's Falls.

Back by 7:00 a.m. just in time to deal with GS deciding

that April-Fool's-Day was so much fun, the next 29 days

are going to be April-Fool's-Month.  HELP!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

GS deciding that April-Fool's-Day was so much fun, the next 29 days

Dave - Nice first race.  50 contributors are better than none, so hopefully some good can be done with it.

Twocat - are these all in your attic?

5 miles for me today in 37 windy degrees, followed by 15-20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

GS deciding

that April-Fool's-Day was so much fun, the next 29 days

I like that kid!

Hello everybody!

I did a race with a guy from church.  He did the 5k and I did the 5 mile.  My legs decided to stay home.  I had gone out somewhat conservatively, and found myself in 2nd place.  (It was a very small race)  I figured I'd hang back and let the lead guy lead, then fly by him in the last mile.  Sure enough, with a mile to go, I was right there--ready to fly by.  Except...like I said...my legs decided to stay home.  I had nothing.  Before I knew it, he was well out of my reach.  Oh well...2nd OA and 1st AG.

The real story is my friend.  In fact, I shouldn't have even wasted your time with my stupid story.  You might remember, a couple months ago, a guy from church told me he had started running (all at the Y on a treadmill) and he asked if I would put a training plan together for him...which I did.  He's 67 years old and this was going to be his first race ever.  It has been so much fun seeing him at church and having him tell me how his training is going.  This morning, I asked his wife how he was doing.  She said, "Oh, he is making this so much more than it is!"  I just laughed and thought..."You just don't understand."  Anyway--he did a 27:06 and took 2nd place in his age group!  Just seeing how proud he was of himself, well, it just chokes me up, thinking about it.  He can't wait for his next race--which is in 2 weeks.  I am just so happy for him.  This is what it's all about...and I know you guys understand.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going.  I have a lot to do...but I might go take a quick nap.

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Dave.

The Saint and I had opposite goals today.  I've had a poor week of running and wanted to get some work in, and she needed just 3 to finish hers so we ran separately. I got 13.6 in at about a 10:20 pace, so that worked out.

I've been experimenting with listening to my iPod with the shuffle feature off so it plays all my songs in alphabetical order.  Problem is that now I'm on the letter "I" and it seems most songs begin with that letter, with I, I'd, I'll, I'm, I wanna, etc.  Started my run with Mama Cass singing, I Call Your Name and ending with Peter Noone with "(something tells me) I'm in for something good".  Kind of fun.

Gorgeous spring day here, not a cloud in the sky.  Saw a recipe for roasting a chicken.  I applied a nice "lacquer" of honey and soy to the skin and then salted it, then put it in the fridge over a rack to dry out for a day, then roasting it at high heat for an hour.  Eager to see if it comes out nice and crispy as it promises in the recipe.  I'll tell you tomorrow if I did this right.  Spareribs

Nice  5K, Dave.  I hope you find out you were 1st in your AG.  Mike, good racing for your with 2nd OA and 1st in AG.  Kudos to your friend with 2nd in AG in his first race.

This morning, I walked 3 miles on the TM at a 13:43/mi and this afternoon, I did another 2 at 13:32/mi.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

a couple months ago, a guy from church told me he had started running (all at the Y on a treadmill) and he asked if I would put a training plan together for him...which I did.  He's 67 years old and this was going to be his first race ever.  It has been so much fun seeing him at church and having him tell me how his training is going.  This morning, I asked his wife how he was doing.  She said, "Oh, he is making this so much more than it is!"  I just laughed and thought..."You just don't understand."  Anyway--he did a 27:06 and took 2nd place in his age group!  Just seeing how proud he was of himself, well, it just chokes me up, thinking about it.  He can't wait for his next race--which is in 2 weeks.  I am just so happy for him.  This is what it's all about...and I know you guys understand.

This is awesome!  And you are right, we totally understand.  BTW, 2nd OA and 1st AG is pretty sweet, too!

Ribs, let us know how the chicken turns out - sounds great!

Okay, in case you are wondering, DH did not move out today.  Tomorrow I will work up the courage to have a talk about couples counseling.  Thanks to all of you for letting me vent here.  I will not belabor it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Okay, in case you are wondering, DH did not move out today.  Tomorrow I will work up the courage to have a talk about couples counseling.  Thanks to all of you for letting me vent here.  I will not belabor it.

I was wondering how everything went today. Hang in there Holly.

{{{Holly}}}

Mike, I am so happy for your friend.  My gosh, 67 and a 27 minute time on a 5K.  Shoot, of course he is so proud!!  How wonderful to have found this sport.  Yes, we've all been there, especially us folks that started doing this later in life.

I went to the horse trails but only did 4 miles.  The plan was for a LR of 8 to 12, but my body said, no, not today, tomorrow you will be ready for this, but not today.  I listened to it and came home to do lots of yardwork,  It's in the 60s and sunny, and well, there is a lot to do.  And housework of course.  And of course I would love to give Gigi a bath, shine her up real good, but there are only so many hours in a day.  I have a dream of someday having all the yardwork done, the house spotless and then sitting back and relaxing.  Hasn't happened yet.

I had a good week at work.  I created a big spreadsheet that basically forecasts the demand from our current clients over the next 18 months for my company's device.  We had to make some tricky decisions as to who would get our device first, and how many, once our production finally went back on-line after being down for several months.  Supply was extremely limited, and my spreadsheet predicted how best to keep all the clients happy.     And our butts from being roasted.

I bought some Ribeye steak on sale, and going to cook that up soon.  I was just not fueled well for my run this morning, but I will be for tomorrow's LR.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Way to go for all the racers and for Mike's friend especially. that's pretty phenomenal!!

Holly - hope the talk goes well with your husband. I really hate to see you just settle for a life that clearly is not making you happy. 

David had a tennis match this morning and he found out that he and his partner were 1st doubles varsity team.  Ok, he's been playing tennis for a total of 4 wks in his entire life, so the fact that he is varsity 1st doubles just goes to show how young this team is. but the good news is the team they went up against were pretty bad. they were also 1st year players and this was their first match also. they didn't even understand scoring completely. So, David and Joe won; 6-2 and 6-1. After they were done with their match,I went for a 7 mile run while he watched the other matches.  Pretty slow run at 1:15, and quite warm out today - well, okay, it was only 70 but it was noon with sun overhead so it sure felt much warmer.

great afternoon so I did some beginning of spring clean up, trimming back a few outdoor plants, pulling weeds, even had to water plants. DH got my garden all tilled over yesterday, so as soon as we get a truckload of gardening compost I can start planting too. My neighbor started a lot of seedlings in her greenhouse so said I can take whatever I want from her to get things started. We had a good snowpack this year so after 3 yrs of barely having a garden due to lack of well water, I'm hoping this will be the summer I can have a large garden again.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Well Holly, since you asked:

Spareribs