Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 12.5.13 (Read 39 times)

CNY, nice long run.

This morning, our weather was like roch reported.  When I started, the temp was in the mid 40s and dropping and there was a strong wind.  I picked an out and back  route that had the wind from the side and did 4 miles at an 11:08 pace.

Have any of you used compression leg sleeves?  From what I've read, some people love them and others think any benefit is psychological.  It's not unusual for my calf muscles to ache and feel tired.  I've wondered if leg sleeves would be worth trying.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Ribs, the Forerunner 205 would do what your friend wants.  But maybe it is too clunky for him?

{{{Breger}}}

Need to run.  It has been cold, but I like it.

The power supply on my computer died.  I ordered a new one and will attempt something way out of my comfort zone this weekend....replacing the old one.  I have a youtube video to watch that shows me how to do it.  Say a prayer!

Met door#7 in person last night.  Was fun.  He runs.  Not a lot, but enough that I am going to take him through his paces on a trail run Saturday.

Happy trails.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

I rotate between about 6 pair but Ribs has given me a perfect excuse to buy a couple of more. Big grin

Nice run Karin. SF area (some of it) is a nice place to explore on foot.

Tom - I run all my HM and above races/runs with calf compression sleeves and love them. I can't verify scientifically but I seem to recover faster. A couple of weeks past a really fast runner (2:28 marathoner) mentioned that he wears them after his long runs and sleeps with them that night and that seems to help too. I tried that once so far and it seemed to help, Even if its simply a placebo effect, it seems a small amount of money vs. benefits. Plus they come in cool colors.

I ran another 7 at lunch and it seems to be helping with this malady. Yuck.

heal up Bill!

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all.  We got the Forerunner 110.  GPS, watch, and that's about it.  Just what we wanted.

Tselbs, they are costly but give them a try. I have friends who swear by them for recovery.   Spareribs

mustang sally

Bad faerie

((( Bongler )))

I'm still staggering a little as I step back into daily action under New Coach's direction.  This morning's swim set was lots of fun, though, and rewarded me well for getting over there.  About 3000m into the 3500m set, though, my serious lack of fitness struck and I realized I was out of gas.  So, I got out of the pool and said, "I'm cooked.  Time to go."  And New Coach put his arms up in a "Touchdown!" kind of way and said, "That was really smart.  I'm glad you're being smart."

I like this guy.

I'll go for an easy shuffle this evening and then to choir practice.  We're singing evensong Sunday night, my favourite service of all.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

19 running shoes (or not) in my life

.  1.   1977 - Nike waffle stompers (orange/yellow)

. . 2.  1980 - Brooks  Vantage (blue)

. . 3.  1983 - forest green Adidas

. . 4.  1987 -  Fred Meyer beach sandals (black)

. . 5.  1990 - first barefoot marathon

.  . 6.  1990 - Saucony (grey)

. . 7.  1998 - Nike Presta  (black/green)

. . 8.  2002 - aquasock water shoes

. . 9.  2007 -  Merrell Bahria trail thongs

. . 10. 2008 - regular drug store  thongs        

. . 11.  2009 -  waraji, geta, cloth zori, straw zori,  jikatabi, tabi

. . 17. 2011 - Croc garden clogs (black but I’ll try yellow next time)

. . 18.   2012 - Chaco thongs

. . 19.  2013 - Tengu geta sandals .

. . 20.   2014 - TBA

ps tom - be sure to get as colorful as possible coordinating arm compressions too (and post pics).  

The switching-up or is that switching-out? shoes seems to work well for me and makes good sense.

billing 15 days this month

did you hear about the switching at Monday’s Seahawks/Saints game when referee's prolong explanation that a delay of game resulted when they were “switching out balls” came out over the public address system as “scratching.” 'em?: oh well. 

ps - no particular reason but could you pm me any tips  about billing 15 days when it's only five days into the month?  Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

{{{{{{{{{ burger }}}}}}}}}

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

We had the most amazing meeting last night for our FeasterFive wrap up!!   I'm not sure I mentioned it on Thanksgiving, but right near the end of the race at the last uphill about 1/8 of a mile from the finish line, a man dropped and went into cardiac arrest.  When I went by with my niece there were already people doing CPR and the medical team was approaching so I made the decision to herd my niece up the hill.  She was very concerned and asked me if he was going to be ok so we stopped and said a prayer for him right after we finished the race.   Well, he was a very lucky man!!  Our sponsor PT was right there carrying an AED because despite the great CPR efforts he was not responding - the AED saved his life and he went off to the hospital, had a stent placed AND WAS AT OUR MEETING LAST NIGHT!!  We had him, the first responder who did CPR, the PT who applied the AED, and some of the EMT's who responded and transported him to the hospital!!  Our former MVS president and Dave Mcgillivray both made amazing speeches to all and presented them with MVS mugs, BAA volunteer jackets and to the man who had the heart attack a Boston Marathon finisher medal!!  I dont think there was a dry eye in the room, especially after they brought the man's wife up to the front and they embraced - she was clearly crying and still emotional as was everyone present!!  The amazing thing is just a few weeks before he was out hunting with a friend - he was very aware that he would not have survived had this happened in the woods or probably anywhere else for that matter!!   Then, as if that was not enough - we had a guest speaker - John Young.  He is a marathoner, triathlete with dwarfism and is one of the most inspiring people I have met along this journey!!

Oh - and I ran today 6.1 miles with intervals!!  Happy Thursday my friends!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Denise...wow!

Nice that someone returned Jay to us

Denise - CPR done correctly at the right time can save a life. I recommend learning this skill!

I love Doris Kerns-Goodwin! We have Anne Patchett coming to a LBS next week.

Hi TW!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mariposai

Denise's story is the exact reason why I am so glad that our local EMT is donating their time to have an ambulance at the site of our Orchards in Bloom ran in April.

Tonight was one of the highlights of my Holiday season, the day my Rotary club starts our local food drive at  different supermarkets. Food gathered are then used for the Christmas basket we distribute every year to hundreds of families who are in need for good food for Christmas.

I am always amazed at how happy people are to be given a chance to give back. Tonight ,just during my shift we gathered a huge commercial apple box full of donated food. Yes, the night was bitter cold (-3) with strong wind coming straight at us every time the door opened,  but  the giving hearts in my community kept my heart warm the whole time.

I got home and I decided that the best way to warm up was to run a few miles. Two TM miles plus some ab work, a hot bath for a longggg time and I am still trying to defrost and so happy about the evening.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Especially since what happened in April has bonded all runners to Boston even if we’ll never get to run there, that’s really powerful stuff deezie, especially the interconnections between area running events, meeting so many special athletes we’ll only read about, etc. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . Do you know if the bombing curtailed the streaks of any of the runners with 30 and 40 year Boston streaks, and how about how Team Hoyt fared? I remember lioness’s boyfriend had been running Boston since the sixties, I think.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

(((Breglet)))

Denise - wow is right!

No run for me yesterday.  A 3.5-hour round trip drive and a conference on the other side of Columbus kept me busy.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for recounting your meeting Denise!  Loved that.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong