Masters Running

Maine Marathon Race Report - Very Long (Read 290 times)

As noted yesterday I was up pretty early to prepare for the marathon and had a nice bowl of oatmeal, a glass of OJ and a banana. I had gotten my gear all ready for the race the night before and just had to try and decide what to wear for a shirt…singlet, short sleeve or long sleeve. Well I grabbed them all figuring I would make that decision just before the race. My wife and I headed out at about 6:45 as the race was scheduled to start at 7:45. We arrived close to the start at about 7:15 and ended up parking at the USM parking garage which was opened for free use for the runners. Once there I decided on the short sleeve shirt and got myself all set for the race (body glide, race pace band, gu and cell phone in my pack). My race attire was as follows: Black w/red stripes Boston 2008 running shorts, Boston Red Sox Dri Fit shirt, Boston Red Sox running hat, red sunglasses, Asics 2110’s my Garmin 305, and running gloves for the chilly start! After checking to make sure I had everything we were off and headed to the start area. I had also taken a throw away bottle for water so that I could be properly hydrated for the beginning of the race and to take with my first gu at about 7:30. The plan was to take a gu then and then about every 45 minutes…a plan which I stuck to for the most part +/- a few minutes here and there as I had to make sure I was close to a water stop before taking a gu! Pre race goals were as follows: 1 – Another BQ to get me set through 2010 2 – Break my PR of 3:26:59 3 – A 3:20:00 if all goes as planned – 7:38 pace. 4 – Not to pass a water stop without taking either water or Gatorade regardless of thirst!! As a group of us were standing near the start chatting it up we knew the start was a bit delayed and were just waiting when all of a sudden “BOOM” and we were off…I wasn’t ready for that, I sure it was our fault as we were engrossed in our discussions etc. I went through the start about 10 seconds after the gun and stayed to the right as I knew my wife was going to be about a quarter mile down on the right. Sure enough I can see her as we round a curve and head over to “slap her five” and get a quick “I love you, good luck”…that is always a good feeling knowing she is there and will be at the end cheering me on. As we run through the first mile I can’t help but think that I was really running slow and resisted the urge to look at my Garmin…I had decided early on that I would only look at the Garmin at the mile markers as I really want to get used to running by feel. As we pass the first mile marker go by I’m at 7:15…hmmm now that felt so much slower than that. I’m feeling super strong (I know it’s early) and settle in as we go around back bay and the second mile comes in at 7:15 as well, all right let’s see if I can’t back off just a bit…I do not want to crash and burn! I’m getting settled into a nice pace and feel very good about the day … have I mentioned yet that this was just a picture perfect day for a marathon … bright sunny skies, low 40’s at the start and no wind to speak of! As I approach mile 3 and the Martin’s Point Bridge I can hear the bag piper playing, I really love that about this race … they have a few playing every year. I pass mile three in 7:19…boy this feels good. Somewhere in this area I came upon a younger girl who was running pretty strong, she said she was looking for a 3:40 … what, I said and told her she was ahead of 3:20 pace at this point and this was her first marathon. Oh the memories came flooding back and I tried to persuade her to back off a bit…no luck and she actually passed me by, (I would see her later). As we traversed through the next mile I had decided I would take a donut hole from the kids that always had them just before the mile 4 marker but hey wait a minute they weren’t there this year…first big disappointment as mile 4 passes at 7:20. As we prepare to turn the corner back on the main route I know the water stop is right there and take my gu as planned…no problems yet! As we take a right to head up the first pretty good hill towards I pass the mile 5 marker at 7:20 and see Chief Tolan of Falmouth PD and exchange a quick hello. This first hill will be a good test to see how I maintain pace without having to exert too much extra effort, I can feel it but not too bad at all and as we climb I come upon the young girl I spoke of earlier and she is obviously struggling already and I wish her the best and carry on. I pass mile 6 at 7:22 (it was also during this stretch that I see the first half marathoners headed back in). As I get close to the turning point for the half marathoners I see quite a few of my friends that were running the half including my good running buddy Brian (we are running NY together this year) he ended up finishing with a 1:27:52 for a great race! Just after I pass the half marathon turning point I say out loud to no one in particular “this is where it can get pretty lonely” and a runner to my right says “that’s ok, that’s the way I like it…I don’t like it too crowded.” We talk a bit and realize we are both shooting for a 3:20 (this is his first marathon) he’s 43 and actually grew up in the town where I work and I know his father quite well. He said his name was Karl and knew my name as well. Well we decided to run together for as long as we could and if one had to go one we would, I really enjoy having the company of a runner that is going for the same time goal as it makes those miles click by so much easier…well kind of. We pass mile 7 at 7:22 feeling as strong as ever. It was somewhere in this next mile that I took my next gu and washed it down with a gulp or two of water and we passed mile 8 in 7:24. As I’m running along I get a lot of hoops and hollers from the fellow Red Sox fans who notice my Red Sox attire, it’s just another added boost. We continue to run at a pretty consistent pace and hit mile 9 at 7:24. I explain the course a bit to Karl as we go along so that he has a better idea of what to expect, and we are now heading “down” what I feel is the toughest hill on the return run. I tell him to use the hill and cruise down as we approach mile 10 and a nice group of spectators, we pass mile 10 at 7:25. As we go along this next mile I explain to Karl that this is the mile that I almost always see the lead runners pas me as they are headed for the finish, but not this year and we hit mile 11 at 7:21 (now I know I’m having a good race and begin to get cautiously optimistic). As we approach the mile 15 marker for those headed back we see the lead runner…WOW he’s cruising and there isn’t another runner within sight…and he ends up winning by just about a minute. As we prepare to make the turn and head towards mile 12 I prepare another gu as I see the next water stop, we get a nice reprieve down a pretty good hill and turn the corner and hit mile 12 at 7:25. During this next mile as we near mile 13 and the turn around point for the marathoners a woman says “this is the last hill guys” and I respond with “I don’t think so” and she says “no really it is” well in reality it’s the last hill before the turn around and that is it! Just before mile 13 we pass a group of National Guardsmen who set out earlier and were “humping” the course in full gear, I give them props and thank them as we pass them by. We hit mile 13 at 7:25 and then cross over onto the dirt road for a short jaunt and then a tight turn around at a cone…(I wish they would change this). As we turn back onto pavement I notice that the guardsmen didn’t take the dirt road….probably a good idea as it would make it extremely crowded for the runners. OK we’re half done and still going pretty strong…it’s all down hill from here, right! As we run along this next mile it’s through a nice wooded area with lots of shade, I really noticed how that wasn’t so important this year and that’s a good thing as we hit mile 14 at 7:26 and still going strong. It was at this point that I could tell Karl was starting to have a hard time as he said a few times “don’t let me hold you back” I continued on and told him to push through this and it would pass…we continued on together and hit the first point where we could see marathoners headed for the halfway point as we were now the ones headed in, that’s always a good feeling on an out and back course. OK a nice push up this hill, a quick drink at the water stop and a left turn onto through the crowds back onto RT 88 and we hit mile 15 at 7:25…hey there’s Joel Croteau…”hey Joel” I yell and he runs up to me and with me for about a quarter mile (he’s waiting to run another of our running buddies in) Joel wishes me luck and heads back towards the half point. All right a couple of tough ones are coming up I tell Karl and we try to prep ourselves as mile 16 comes in at 7:26. Once again I take a GU during this next mile which for me has the toughest hill of all…we pass the crowds before the real hill and Karl asks for “a little help” then he asks for “a lot of help” the crowd gets a kick out of that and really gives us a cheer…and I chuckle…wow I can laugh while suffering through this climb I think well I guess that’s not too bad. I hit mile 17 at 7:50…the slowest mile yet, but not too bad I’ll take it. It was right about here that I lost Karl…damn I thought I really had hoped to have him for the last few miles…well carry on. Now this becomes a long lonely stretch for me and I really try to concentrate and stay strong, mile 18 passes at 7:26, another long lonely mile and as 19 passes at 7:38. I can feel the struggle coming on now and I know so much of it is mental as I try to keep strong and tell myself that this is it the first part of the race is almost over… and I hit mile 20 at 7:48…yup I’m slowing down. OK I make a deal with myself now…keep it below 8 minute miles and then push those last two for and finish strong. As we pass the crowds at Skillin’s it gives me a nice burst of energy and I feel pretty good but hit mile 21 at 7:58 oh boy now that’s close, come on Bob you can do this let’s keep it together. I head down the hill for the turn back onto the main road towards Martin’s Point Bridge…I’m feeling good just getting tired and of course those mental games have started…but I tough it out and hit mile 22 at 7:50, that’s good I though jus hold this pace and you’ll be just fine. And I do just that as I cruise (so to speak) along and hit mile 23 at 7:50 and 24 at 7:50 as well. No as I approach Payson Park and prepare to make the final turn back onto Baxter Boulevard I pull my cell phone out and quickly call my wife to let her know I’m 2 miles out…I can tell she’s a bit surprised to hear from me already…that’s a good thing right? I make that final turn and grab my last gulp of water at the last water station and try to push it as I pass mile 25 at 7:38. You can do this Bob you can do this…I know that if I can hold this pace I’ll hit my goal, do I really dare think about that yet, after all there’s still a mile to go. As I approach the final mile marker an older gray haired runner flies by me…damn I thought have I slowed that much or maybe he’s a relay runner (I later learned he was in fact a relay runner). I pass mile 26 at 7:30 and now just give it all I have to push hard to the finish as I approach the finish I think I hear my wife but I can’t seem to spot her…I see the clock as it ticks 3:19Tight lippedx…Freaking Right I Did It, I really did it, as I cross the finish line with my arms raised I am so happy I swear I almost cried this time! Official clock time 3:19:38 net time 3:19:28 for a 7:22 PR. Big grin Karl finished just over a minute back of me and still got his 3:20:32 for BQ! Smile What’s next hmmm 3:15 or 3:10…I think I’ll savor this one for awhile. Physically this is the best I have ever felt after a marathon, not even a hint of a cramp or anything even similar. This morning as I move around, no issues…climbing stairs not an issue either, don’t get me wrong I know I ran a marathon, but I feel great. If you made it through all of this thanks…if not hey that’s ok too, here I am at the finish:
    Henrun

Bob, congratulations. You really did well and planned your run well. I was in NYC this past weekend and saw a number of runners training for next month during my run. The excitement and crowd support should charge you up for a PR.
        Wow, Maine...that's a great RR! Congrats on the huge PR! I've paid attention to your training and not surprised you ran so well. Nicely done! Nice picture to.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        coastwalker

Hi Bob, WOW - what a race, and what a thrilling RR! Thanks for taking the time to recount the entire race, almost step-by-step. You did an amazing job of running, and a greta job of conquering the mind demons. With all the work you've been doing leading up to this race, and with the strength that you had in Portland, you earned that 3:19 and that 7-minute PR. Congratulations!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #3309

That's simply AWESOME Bob....you rocked your Marathon speedy guy, and 7 minute PR Big grin. Loved every word of your play by play in your race report..felt like I was there with you. All your hard work paid off nicely for you, as I have watched your progress for awhile now. Great Job!!!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Congrats Bob. What a report and what a race. You da man!! What's next indeed!!!

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

maine, you ran a picture-perfect marathon, and indeed, your race report had a perfect picture. Smile It's great that you had good company for so long, and it's also great--and amazing to me--that the other guy hung on for 3:20. So often when someone falls off the pace, he also falls off the planet. Both you and he should be very proud. Dark Horse
                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                  Hellova race, MR! A 7 minute PR at that pace is incredible. You helped Karl and he helped you -- that worked out pretty well, I think. Congratulations!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

You are one heck of a runner. I knew that even before you knocked 7 minutes off your PR. What do you think you have left in you, or are you just getting started on marathon speed?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Congratulations. That really is a huge PR at this pace. While you had the usual mental games at the end it sounds like you were strong throughout and executed a near-perfect race. Enjoy the afterglow! Treat yourself to a box of donut holes. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

arf

MM #405

WOWZA Maine...you are one FAST dude! Shocked Congrats on the PR! Nice to feel so strong at the end too, great pic by the way! arf
                        wildchild

Carolyn

Great report, Bob! I read every word, and felt like I was right there with you. You make it sound like fun to run a fast marathon... I'll only get to do it vicariously through the race reports of folks like you.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

I am so impressed with how much detail you remember in your race! Thanks for sharing it and a big CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

WOW!! 7 minute PR, are you just getting faster and faster??? Shocked I was thinking your brain was working well during that marathon because you could remember so many of the details! Glad you had that fellow for support and you must have pushed him to a PR as well. Congratulations!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Great racing, Bob. The thing that really stood out for me iin your report was the strength you showed during the final 10k, and especially those last 2 miles. I can remember you having trouble at that point in some previous races, so I believe that this very signficant that you were so strong this time. It could well be a sign of bigger and better things to come. Congratulations!
                                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33