Masters Running

Just joining the group (Read 348 times)

Hello All, I am new to runningahead, to this group, and to any running conversation forum. I saw a friend's name in your group so decided to give it a try. I am 45 and have been running for 3 years now. Ran my first race in Sept.2005. Loved it and was hooked on the sport. Hoping this group can give me the encouragement I seem to need to get out more often and train. I find that life's responsibilities often overshadow my desire to run, but I want to turn that around.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Welcome! I'm 45, also, and have been running for a year and a half. I think you've come to the right place. Before I started visiting RA, I was averaging only 9 to 12 miles a week, and now I'm up to about 25, after just three months. The log and the encouragement make all the difference in the world. Knowing that someone on the Masters Running board will probably ask me how it's going if they don't hear from me for a few days is pretty good motivation! Have you considered joining the 1000-km or 1000-mile club (user group)? Trying to stay on pace to reach a distance goal for the year really kicks me into gear on those days I think about staying in bed! Good luck!! Teresa
      btb1490

Welcome and thanks for the intro! If you want to be held accountable for your running, you've come to the right place! Evil grin Loved it and was hooked on the sport. That says it all right there. You'll do great! Smile

#artbydmcbride

Welcome! Jump right in and post about your runs and races, goals and questions. I started running in 2004 and have found that scheduling in runs in my daily routine helps make sure they happen. That and meeting others for a run. Smile

Runners run

wildchild

Carolyn

Welcome! I've been running for 2 1/2 years, and find that the kind folks in this group give me a lot of motivation, advice, encouragement, and cameraderie. My running is much more consistent, and my mileage is steadily increasing, even though I'm not training for anything in particular. You'll find a lot of "overachievers" here Big grin who are training for Boston or other marathons. They're very friendly to newbies so don't be intimidated. They post a ton of stuff you can learn from. Then there are other newer, slower runners (like me!) who are not ashamed to post 11 or 12 minute per mile paces. It's all good. We all share a passion for running. Tell us a bit about yourself, or set up a profile. The profile is what you see when you click on someone's name. You set it up through the "options" link at the top of the page, next to the help link. Where do you live? Male or female? Any kids or pets?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Welcome tleeberry! It's all good here and you'll find lots of support. As wildchild said----we all love running in some form or another and cheer for each other's goals as well as the highs of lows that accompany the journey. I love the running support as well as the shared experiences about other areas besides running. Come back soon and often. I lurked for a year or so on another forum and once I posted there and came over here, I was hooked. Enjoy! CNYrunner
                Welcome, tleeberry. You've come to a good place. Post often. TomS

GreenMan

Welcome Tlee, If you like to talk running shop you're at the right place. It's only occasionally overshadowed by pastry. What are you racing next? Let our Sweetie Ilenie know in the Intrepid Racers thread and she'll put you on the calendar. Post often, jjj
                  Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                    Welcome tleeberry...you'll definately find encouragement here. I've learned so much from the fine folks in this group. I know you will too.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Welcome tleebeery, 45 minus 1 here, been running since Jan 2006. If you read the forums you will learn WAY MORE than you could from any book about running. I would not be attempting my first marathon unless I had read about other people doing the same thing and following their lead and experience. Don't let the fast folks intimidate you, they have much wisdom and enthusiasm for the newbies. The way I became consistent with running was to organize my running clothes and accessories the night before a run. I had it all ready waiting at the door, so that I had no excuse. Plus looking ahead at the calendar and scheduling in my runs for the whole week, then scheduling in everything else around it helped a lot. Unless there is an emergency, it is priority number one!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

HermosaBoy

Welcome! Enjoy this group -- they rock! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

welcome to the group!! lots of inspiration and motivation here for sure!!

denise

SteveP

Welcome Tleeberry. I'm Steve, but I answer to "Steve". This group of people helped me find the courage to enter and finish my first marathon last year at age 45. I've been running for over 20 years. The last 10 years, I've been hooked on racing. Though I'm slow, I love the compitition and fellowship.

SteveP

Welcome tlee Lots of info, and friendly people here so enjoy.. I am marathon Derrick and I am 48 years young ,soon to be 49, on 4-9, naturally short for my weight and have been running since 01.
                                Thanks for all the encouraging welcomes. I think I am in the right place here. A friend of mine is part of this forum as well, so I am glad I found it. As the spring days are upon us, I am really trying to get more training runs in. I am a wife, mother of two teenagers, full-time teacher, and work two part-time jobs after that, so I need all the encouragement I can get to just get out and run.