Masters Running

Do I take the Shot?????????........Vote Now.......tomwhite (Read 65 times)

my old doc, the cyclist, retired..........

just saw the new doc,

''why are you're hips bad??'' he asked

''42-years of running'' I said,,,,,,," I plan on getting a hip replacement after I retire''

''why not get an injection??'' he asked

''I don't want to mask the pain'' I said, ''Pain is telling me I'm doing something Wrong and need to change it''

''but you wouldn't be in pain'' he says

''this is nothing compared to the ligament tears, pulled muscles, and broken toes I got in 42-years of running''

''but you could run again'' he said

''No, that hurt me, I want to wait til the hip replacement............if I'm damaging my hip, I want to be able to FEEL it''

he and Pickles want me to Take The Shot

I believe in Not Masking Pain

>>>>>>>>>any thoughts from Other Runners would be much appreciated.............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

If you're planning on hip replacement anyway...why not give it a try?  Could it make them any worse?  And if it does, does it matter?  You were planning on getting them replaced anyway.

That's my thought...

TammyinGP

''I don't want to mask the pain'' I said, ''Pain is telling me I'm doing something Wrong and need to change it''

but is pain always telling you that you are doing something wrong and you need to change it? or is sometimes pain, like the hip pain you are having, maybe telling you the joints have lots of wear and tear, cartilage might be wearing down, the pain might be indicative of needing a replacement like you are planning on doing in the future anyways, but the shot might provide some temporary relief and allow you to participate in the things you want to do until you get your new Elvis hips.

Tammy

What is the shot??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Take the shot.  Read all the literature.  But take the shot.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

In a word,  YES!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Henrun

As a retired doc, I say yes. When my back pain was severe I was evaluated for a shot- fortunately the medication (neurontin) worked and I only took it for a limited time along with PT.

#artbydmcbride

I got the Shot in my back.  It didn't "mask the pain'  it relieved the inflammation that was causing the pain.

Runners run

NHLA

I got the Shot in my back.  It didn't "mask the pain'  it relieved the inflammation that was causing the pain.

+1  this

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

he and Pickles want me to Take The Shot

I believe in Not Masking Pain

Nice try tom but I think you better believe in Pickles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Listen to Pickles!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

tom, I'm not a medical person but lean towards trying the shot.  I'm with Holly about reading the literature and learning all you can first, though.  Good luck in whatever you decide.

TomS

Dave59

I have a standing rule to stay at least 100 meters away from needles because I could pass out and get hurt when I hit the ground so I don't know what to say about the shot.

What I was wondering is about this statement:

"this is nothing compared to the ligament tears, pulled muscles, and broken toes I got in 42-years of running" 

Ouch!  I'm sure glad that none of that has happened to me.

What is the shot??

...a long acting cortisone.....

........ps......thanks for the input,,,,,,,any more thoughts would be appreciated,,,,,,,

I have been blessed with good health

my entire life,

and

letting the body heal itself has been my solution in the past

(but obviously that's NOT happening now)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

hey tw, I'm fairly anti-medicine in that like you, I eschew drugs, am on no prescriptions, and believe we can damage ourselves while masking the pain.  I get what you are saying.  Given your caution, there seems to be a low chance of you doing further damage because of the shot.  By that I mean you are unlikely to get the shot and then go out and run 20 miles on single track trails.  You will be prudent.

Given the folks who have had a good experience with the shot, (add in henrun's medical opinion) and following Holly's sage advice, give it a chance, I say.  It is less intrusive than the hip surgery.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)