Masters Running

Suiyoubi February 11 - revenge of the geta marathon (Read 34 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It’s the National Foundation Day holiday in Japan (when Emperor Jimmu descended from the sun goddess in 711BC) so I met up this morning ( Wednesday/Suiyoubi)  with Mr. Yoshino and four other runners from the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club who had DNF’ed Sunday in their Hakone Pass Marathon when the snow that started falling around mile 5 got too deep by the time us slowbies started our treks up the first pass. Today’s holiday redeemer with about 20 other runners, several of whom had survived the crossing, was around the same Hiratsuka Central Park down by sea level south of Tokyo where MikeMP churned out a 3:33:26 for first place in the Sunday version on 2/8/2015.
    Today was sunny and warmed up from 32-degreesF or so at 6am to the low forties later on with plum and cherry buds getting ready to bloom in a couple of weeks while the park gardeners were brutalizing all the rose bushes down to about two-and-a-half feet but I guess it’s supposed to be what to do.
    We all finished today as, though there used to be a difference, I found out I’m just as slow nowadays in geta as straw waraji sandals, barefoot, flipflop thongs, or anything else.   
    ps - I always knew what I wanted to be and became what I wanted to be until I become something else but I never dreamed running would be one of them, . . . well, maybe it isn’t. Smile

pps - it reported to be -40 degrees either F or C, I don't know, in Hokkaido where Mike and Sue went to the ice festival this weekend.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Slo

Slow, Like fast is relative.

Jobs...I've been involved in factory Automation since 1988. I'm good at it, keeps my interest and pays well but it can be a demanding job. I'm cursed with the ability to see beyond the start button which means I generally play the upper level of support here at the plant. (late night calls) It also cost me a great deal of saturdays since much of the work I do requires manufacturing lines to be down. But, I have a good job and I work for an excellent company with some pretty good benefits. If I can remain here for 12 more years I should be able to retire very comfortably and possibly leave a little for our kids when we're gone.

My daughter is "doing what she loves" I wouldn't recommend her route to anyone. Cosmotology...not in this town. She has chosen a very hard path. She will experience finacial struggles for a very long time. Not that it's all about money but not worrying how essentials are going to get paid for goes a very long way to living happy and stress free.

I'll be on the treadmill later today if you need me. And I haven't done my taxes yet.

coastwalker

Mornin' Tet, Slo, and everyone to follow!

Our family calls January 1st "New Foundations Day," but I think it is a bit different than the similarly-named holiday in Japan. On ours, we all go buy new underwear for the year. Congrats to MikeMP on his excellent first place finish on Sunday, and to you and the other 20 runners on completing the 'holiday redeemer.'

As a somewhat detached observer, it is fascinating to watch 'kids' as they grow up and evolve from students to career people. The process sure looks a lot different from afar than it does when one is in the middle of it. As with people of all ages who have to make major decisions, some charge ahead with a clear vision; some proceed a bit more tepidly and try to test the waters before making a final leap; and others have a difficult time making a decision and take the first job offered if for no other reason than it is there. I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up (and am still not sure that I do), but I made some choices that turned out to be good for me. Yes, I may have done things differently if I knew then what I know now, but I didn't and I can't go back, so the best thing to do is to keep looking forward and keep trying to make good choices.

I'm jealous of all you good folks who have been getting in some consistently good runs. One one hand, I resign myself to the fact that my workout are going to be sporadic and my mileage low in the winter when we have snow-covered roads. On the other hand, I hate not being able to get out more consistently. And, no, I still won't buy a treadmill... And, no, I didn't work out yet today (see below).

Got my new roof rake yesterday! How sad that I'm excited about that... But it is one of those that gets pushed up the roof and slides under the snow, cuts chunks of it, and has a built-in slide that sends the cut snow shooting down and off the roof. After I finish cleaning up the roof this time, I hope to never need it again.

Keep smiling and have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

good MoRninG!

Say Jay, how about a little vacation down south?  You deserve it!  And you could run every day, 2x even!   Couldn't you *have* to visit and run a half marathon down here in connection with your duties as RD?

The college discussion made me realize how much college has changed; I think tuition was $400 a year when I was an undergrad and it was that price at all Massachusetts state colleges for residents.  At that price, one could indulge one's inner liberal arts major, which I did.  I realize that if I were in school today, coming from the same working class background, I'd have to think long and hard, and harder, about incurring a mortgage-size debt for an undergrad education.  ANd that's sad to me.  When you're 17, you should still be able to dream and study without worrying about money all the time.

**Blam**   <<the soapbox just collapsed>>

Of course, my friend in Springfield was convinced her daughter chose her college (after the travel car trip to various schools) based on the colors and cut of the school's track uniform.

Does it help for us to keep telling y'all up north that we really are sympathetic?  I was there in '78 and truly remember the mountains of snow, how frustrating it was to attempt to shovel, as there was NO PLACE TO PUT THE %^$#ing snow.   And you smashed that record just now.

Wonderful story, tet.  Enjoying the plum and cherry blossoms while I imagine trotting along with you and your lovely group, stopping to smell the flowers and all.

I'm sad today that my tube of Starbucks Peppermint Cookie Chocolate Bites is empty.  And it's a seasonal product.

So I did 6 more miles last night, after work, (edited to punctuate, as I drove to the bridge after work, I did not do my child support work out on a bridge yesterday)  on the bridge.  Windy (our "cold" front was arriving) and slow but glowy (sun behind clouds) sunset and pretty early night sky.  Just 3 this am.   The ankle rehab goes on; now stuff on the right side of me complains from time to time as we're getting back into alignment and all.  Body is learning to be a team again--patience and prudence (maybe the names of my next cats??)

grins,

A

ps: Spell check claims "glowy" isn't a word.  It should be.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

One problem for my DS has been that what he was most interested (politics) in he had no natural aptitude for and what he was really good at (math & science), he had no interest in. They always told us that eventually you start to "like what you're good at" but I'm still waiting for that to kick in. He does have a tech-related job but doesn't seem to like it much. I was very fortunate in that what I liked I was very good at and the timing was perfect for me to get in on the ground floor of a couple of emerging computer-related industries and grow along with them.

I woke up in an unusually black winter funk this morning, so I was glad that I had a commitment to run with someone who I hadn't seen in a while (otherwise I would have bagged it). Ended up having a very nice 5-mile run around the rolling campus of Oakland U with lots of conversation along the way (me mostly listening). Temps were in the low 20s, but no wind and I was dressed right -- maybe a bit overdressed in fact. Anyway, that broke me out of my earlier mood and I'm ready for the rest of the day!

I hope none of you are in a funk this morning, regardless of the wintry weather.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

Interesting discussion re: college, higher education, paths to pursue, etc.  David will go to college but he knows, and we have reinforced, that his 4, or more, year degree needs to be specialized. It can't be a liberal arts degree like what I received. He's gifted in maths and sciences and that will most likely be the path he pursues.  with a side gig of coaching. he loves coaching 

yesterday was a 4 mile RAL and today is a track workout: 12 x 300m.

Tammy

I was listening to something recently - don't remember if it was a new program or a podcast - but like it was mentioned, the technical trades are seriously underrated.  Take welders, for example.  They can make excellent pay, but in a number of areas around the country, the lack of qualified welders is a big issue.  I, too, think too often kids are made to feel that a college education is THE ticket to paradise.  As TwoKitty said, I think it's important to understand business in case you have the opportunity to open your own business someday, but not all kids are cut out to go to college, and they shouldn't be made to feel inferior because of it.  We paid forever on Shorty's student loans for the 2 years of community college and 2 years of university, which he left because he didn't like school, but it was something he was "supposed" to do.  He could have done just about anything because he is very smart, and I'm not saying that just because he's my husband, but school wasn't his cup of tea.

Okay - Like Amy - I'm off my soapbox.

I had great workouts two days in a row.  Egads!  What's the world coming to?!?

Today was 1 hr stat biking with a 15 min warm up, 10 x 1 min hard with about 2 min of recovery in between, then about a 10 min cool down.  I followed that up with about 40 min of core/ST.  I'm working on my pushups.  Ugh!  I can't even come close to getting full range of motion, but give me time.  I was a dripping, sweaty pig by the end, but my goodness did it ever pump me up for the day!  Poor Shorty - it was almost more than he could handle.  Who needs caffeine when you're feeling incredible from your workout?  Okay - I do.  taking a sip of coffee.

Okay, that's it for now.  I am working like a mad woman here at work, trying to get everything done before vacation.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Well done Tet.  You just keep plugging away, and no one here cares about "slow."  Keep doing what you love.

Funny we are having this college discussion.  Hudson is going to school a bit late this morning as he finishes up an essay/case study in competition for scholarship money.  The case is a super market chain that has a rewards program, one with which you are all familiar.  You buy certain products, the store recommends similar products and gives you discounts.  Problem in the case is that the store noticed one lady's purchases and sent coupons to her home for maternity-related items, causing her embarrassment.  So Hudson is suggesting solutions to the case and did a fine job, in no small part because as a supermarket manager he is constantly answering consumer questions about their own program. I loved his response and hope he is rewarded for it.

Got an ART session yesterday so the guy could dig his thumbs and knuckles into my butt and see how loud I can scream, but today's shakeout run went quite well, although slow. I need to be more conscientious about stretching as I am tight all over.

Off to Cincinnati tomorrow and no I will not eat Skyline chili.  Spareribs

I haven't posted since Sunday so will try to catch up.  Twocat, nice, speedy, 20K race.  henrun and marj, I like the couples relay.  Holly, your pit bull encounter sounds scary.  Mike, take care of that AT and shoulder.  Aamos, pretty good getting in two 5Ks.  My son works in HR for a manufacturing company in the Detroit area.  They have a shortage, and it looks like it's going to get worse, in the skilled trades.  Those in the training program make more than line workers and, do very well when fully qualified.

Nice long runs for CNY ,Holly, and fatozzig.  Good job on the speedwork for Tammy.

This morning, it was in the high teens and there was a light wind.  My Ice Trekkers and I got in 5 miles at an 11:31 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Good runs and workouts here whatever the weather or time of day....we are a hearty bunch I'd say!

Ran 10 miles mid-morning in between client phone calls and on one of the only remaining clear patches of pavement (also a portion of a local marathon route and always plowed well). The sun felt great even if the wind was a bit fierce---no makeup needed, or at least blush!

The education conversation is quite interesting. Of course I am deeply biased as the daughter of a professor who was in the first generation to go to college and the daughter of a mother who dreamt of going to college, but WWII and other factors made that impossible. My mother is a product of the gymnasium system in Germany and Switzerland and absolutely hated that she was placed on the seamstress track and without options. It may be different now, but she is bitter to this day and wanted very much to raise children in a different country with better educational options,. Education changed my life and stoked my curiosity to learn; to speak and write well; to seek out primary source information, and to listen athletically. Education for my family it's the most precious investment we'll ever make and will last our entire lives. I am just grateful that there are so many ways to obtain education---whether college or not. I expect the kiddo to have many different jobs and even change careers as he goes forward. That he is focused on a specific track (journalism and sports management) and at one of the country's best schools for this track is a wonder and a joy for us. He may not end up as a journalist and that’s okay too.

Ottawa! Love that city and spent lots of time there during Winterlude and also in the spring during the tulip festival and near the Byward Market. I hope all the journeys ahead for the RA growing –like- weeds kiddos here will be wonderful!

Okay…time to get going and catch my train to NYC. Hurray for some Central Park morning runs in the days ahead (snow banks won’t be over my head there and yeah, yeah, I know I am short, but still….!)

Sayhey! MM#130

Karin, short?  I don't think so, nope, I don't.....

.......but not why I logged on again.

O joyous fabrous (dang spell correct wanted to make this "fibrous," yecch) eve of wondrous day of advent and all good feelings!

Hope and spring abound from snowy rooftops, melting ice and warming hardened hearts as choirific cherubs sing harmonies!

Popcorn and dawgs are sniffed by previously frozen noses.

There is good cheer as smiles are yet again seen in resilient New England, both east and west New England, indeed, in north and south climes where chowder is white and river is pronounced with but one "r."

For Truck Day cometh tomorrow .

Beep Beep!  Make Way!  We are so ready to see it!

Cheers and grins all around!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

For Truck Day cometh tomorrow .

Amy--I think of you every time I read a story about truck day.  Beginning to wish I was at the end of the journey instead of the start.

Hoping for some outdoor running over the weekend--right now, I'm having a tough enough time just getting to the gym.  but of course we're expecting extra (although not Erikasque) cold with actual negative numbers.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Well hop on to the truck and get here, silly Kevin!

Yesterday the sole of my foot under the arch ached and I took the day off.  Good call!  Today all was fine!  But, I had two guest speakers in my classes and by the time I was able to break free it was too late to run today if I wanted to run long tomorrow.  So, it was an hour on the elliptical.  Tomorrow, if I can get myself out the door in time, will be my first 20 mile run of this training cycle.  Then a long day after that.  I have to go to the city for an evening workshop.  My guess is I will be lucky to be home by 11pm.  Oh well, at least the workshop includes dinner at a decent restaurant.

A quick cooking note:  I have started to pay closer attention to what I thinks make salads better.  Tonight I hit on a modified version of a kale salad that was a home run.  Here are the basics.  As I have mentioned before with kale you need some acid to break down the proteins.  The basic dressing recipe I use has lemon and orange juice to do that.  Start by zesting an orange and lemon.  Squeeze the lemon into a small bowl and then two of the orange segments.  Add some salt, pepper, Dijon mustard (1 tsp), honey (1 tsp), white wine vinegar (not white distilled vinegar, white wine vinegar) and a touch of olive oil (should be able to get away with 1 tbl or less).  Get fork and emulsify the dressing.  Add to the kale (that you chopped up right?) and massage in with your hands.  This will speed up the kale's breakdown making it easier to eat.  Before going to the next step taste a bite of the kale and adjust the seasoning as you think best.  Next chop up the orange (you should end up with three or so pieces per segment) and add it. Toss in some cranberries and chopped Marcona almonds (or some other nut you like).  Then add a good (and I do mean good) blue cheese.  Preferably one that has a bit of creamyness to it.  Done!  What is the idea here beyond the acid?  The orange, cranberries and honey add some sweet which helps offset some of the bitterness of the kale.  The almonds give it some crunch.  Finally, the blue cheese provides a good contrast to everything else.  But it is also why a creamy one helps.  The rest of the salad is pretty high in texture and the creamy cheese will bring that all together.  Now go eat it up!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

I'm so ready for blossoms, Tet.

The amount of business we've been experiencing is at an all time high. I fear I may lose yet another boss.This time it would be kind of OK. The incoming CEO is insistent about hiring young people for the position because of the physical demand. I've suggested that he hire an adult, regardless of their age. Finding time to run while I have gas in the tank has been a challenge. I've been having fun and I got greeted with cheers when I arrived at one job site today. I'm thinking, "What is wrong with these people? These are windows and they are heavy."

SteveP