Masters Running

October 1, 2015 Runs and Maybe Not (Read 36 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I thought I would post first today, since I will be heading out early for a two-day conference in Columbus, staying over there, and I just wanted to wish you all a great day before I leave.  So, Happy Thursday to you!

No run, no workout, no time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Good morning to you Holly, and to all who follow. Happy October! My favorite month.

Erika, I guess it's good that you found that fun run to try. But snakes and alligators??? Yikes!

MikeE, that was one fast run! I hope you get another one just as good soon.

Good job on getting that report done, Mariposai.

Kirsten (and Wild), I accept your prime number challenge for October!

I am in the Maybe Not run camp today, since I have decided that 2 days before a marathon I really should rest.

Plus I have a busy couple of days at work--parent conferences tonight and tomorrow morning, so not much time to run.

Oh--almost forgot. My BF is a mechanical engineer, not chemical. Don't know why my fingers typed that yesterday.

coastwalker

Mornin' Holly, Moebo, and those yet to post.

I hope it's a good conference, Holly. If you had told us that you had climbed over that train yesterday, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Sounds like a busy schedule, indeed, Moebo. A little rest a couple 'o days before a marathon is not a bad thing under any circumstances. I'm glad your BF got your Garmin working again.

Jlynne, your inaugural women's half from last weekend sounds well planned and organized. Glad you enjoyed it.

I think "deranged" was the right word for yesterday's runners in New England, Stumpy.

Thanks for the FL info, Aamos. I'm glad your pep talk to yourself worked on Tuesday evening.

Nice sproinking, WC!

TW, welcome back to the Nordic Track - well done!

I'm glad you enjoyed your time on the couch instead of out in yesterday's rain, TwoCat.

Nice foggy run, Enke, and good job of embarrassing DS along the way.

I didn't realize you worked in such a dangerous place, Nurse Mike! Isn't it strange how we never know when a good run is going to descend on us? We just have to do what you did - enjoy it when it happens.

Very wise move, staying away from the snakes and alligators, Evanflein!

Nice run and farmer's market excursion, LaT.

Congrats on getting the report in on time, Mariposai.

I think I've discovered that what I thought was a hamstring issue is just a knot the size of Utah in my glute that is radiating downward so I'll think it is something else. So I've borrowed the cat's tennis ball and have been rolling around on that knot's sweet spot to start to break it up. This morning's 5 mile RW workout wasn't what I'd call comfortable, but it was tolerable. Given the choice, I'd rather this than a hamstring issue, because I can do something more than mostly resting and waiting to resolve the knot.

Have a greta Thursday, Oct. 1!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave, it's good to hear from you.  jlynne, it sounds like a great half.

Nice long runs for wild, enke, and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for CNY.

This morning should have been a running day but I did nothing.  I've been having a harder and harder time talking myself into getting out the door for a while.  Today, even my OCD couldn't get me out.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Maybe you'll go out later today Tom?

I want to have supper with Kirsten!  That sounded yummy.

Safe trip, Holly and yes, don't pet the alligators, E.

No idea which states are most charitable.  Does it go by percentage of income?  I'm of the opinion that poorer folks actually give up proportionally more of their income than richer ones, and I'm betting I could find a study or two on that  (maybe twocat has one at his paws...)

Mine are a little sore from clapping        Yankees

And again, no insults meant to anyone's geographic expertise, as I wrote yesterday, I just love maps. 

So, May 18 in Westfield?  I have that on a sticky on my desk now.  That's more than the website gives out.

Did you read about the Twin Cities marathon may be the site of demonstration from some of the Black Lives Matter folks?   The idea is [or was...see below] to give us privileged white folks a sense of how our best laid plans can go afoul through no fault of our own, I believe.   That may be changing, however, as here's a part of a news story from today:

On Saturday organizer Rashad Turner said protestors would stop the race, but now states they have a different plan for Sunday.

“Will not keep people from running. Will not make any physical contact with runners,” Turner said. “Our focus is to remain peaceful and demonstrate how we do.”

“We can find ways we can move forward [constructively] and cooperatively together that brings about that real change and improvement in ways that are constructive and not otherwise,” Dayton said.

Twin Cities In Motion organizes the marathon.

The group released a statement stating St. Paul officials have advised them to continue with the race as planned, ensuring runners that they will be safe.

According to the Facebook Page for the St. Paul group, Black Lives Matter invited more than 1,700 people.

Thoughts?  Are we more committed to order than justice?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Quick 4 mile run this morning in the dark before heading to the airport. I am at BWI now and on to the rental car center soon.

Safe travels Holly!

As for the TCM protest, I just hope nobody gets hurt. I believe in peaceful protest and am heartbroken at the divisions we still see and endure in this world and in my own backyard. I am heartened to hear that the BLM folks won't physically prevent runners from finishing the marathon. Justice is not orderly, but I hope it can be civil. And given my own multi-racial background, I am always hyper-sensitive about assumptions made on appearance.

Joachim seems to be heading straight at us and now canceling races. The Grindstone 100 miler was just cancelled. I am not sad about that, but I had teammates headed there who now want to do epic NE runs this weekend to satisfy their 100 miler legs. Not me!

My wealth and and charity question is a bit of a trick question, but if we look at IRS data and states where itemizing charitable deductions is the rule, UTAH is number one (and of course tithing). In fact East Cast states are not at all on the top ten list (not on bottom ten either). That said, Aamos is right. Poor urban communities, diverse populations, and lower income folks give proportionally more. The real focus for me in fundraising is philanthropic intent and the most significant gifts given in this country are given out of assets and not income. In fact just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean they'll be a donor (Americans gave away $358 Billion in 2014 to all charities---religion is the top recipient and education number two----we are a generous country). It helps to have money, but my work really tries to get at philanthropy and what inspires people to stretch. And now that you are all asleep, off I go in my execu-drag to interview some generous donors---love my job!  And yes, oodles of studies abound.

Which age group can boast of having the most volunteers? 35-55, 55-70, or  25-35?

No idea which states are most charitable.  Does it go by percentage of income?  I'm of the opinion that poorer folks actually give up proportionally more of their income than richer ones, and I'm betting I could find a study or two on that  (maybe twocat has one at his paws...)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy--are you more dedicated than i am?  only made it till the 8th.  But I did enjoy seeing the results this morning.

On another non-running note, I will be heading up to Maine after work this afternoon to deal with the results of 5" of rain yesterday.  One of our neighbors posted a picture on FB of a canoe that they found drifting in the lake.  When they confirmed that it was indeed ours, we were also informed that our aluminum boat was sitting on the bottom by the dock.   Hoping that just the boat and not the motor is underwater.  Joy, joy.

Didn't realize that I was commiting to go to Westfield on a week day.  But maybe I can handle it to meet Mike.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Aamos, you asked a question that requires much thought and discussion, probably more appropriate for something other than a running site.

After 3 days of relative inactivity trying to recover from a nasty cold that I picked up in Chicago after my 5K I couldn't resist a cloudy, low 50 degree morning and went out for a sproinky 5 miles (almost race speed for me).  Hope it doesn't set me back physically and I can drop those extra pounds I put on.

Last evening, after a good Italian meal (no wonder I put on those pounds) we saw My Fair Lady at a Boston theater. A fantastic production which has gained national recognition and is sold out for the remaining performances.

((((Stumpy))) you posted while I was slowly typing. Got the score after we returned home late from the play.

Sayhey! MM#130

Agreed (henrun's comment below), but hope to get thinking part going, at least (o gee, or am I banned again? )

Aamos, you asked a question that requires much thought and discussion, probably more appropriate for something other than a running site.

And Stumps.....I just keep on the radio and last night, seemed to awaken at the good spots (how did they get all those walks in the 8th w/o a run

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I got a kick out of everybody talking Dave into being a stalker so he can go sit on the large porches.  A house with a large wrap-around porch has always been my dream.  Just sitting out there in a rocking chair on warm summer evenings with a nice tall glass of ice tea . . . .

2Kitty - We love soups, casseroles, salads - basically everything.  Like you say, I probably just haven't had squash made the right way.  When I was doing my "no grains" thing, I cooked up a spaghetti squash for "spaghetti."  - - - eh.  I didn't not like it, but it's not something I'd particularly care to do again.  I've eaten squash with the requisite butter and brown sugar - - - eh.  It was okay for the one meal, but not something I care to eat as leftovers.

I need to pull my head out.  I was supposed to do a good hard bike workout yesterday - - didn't happen.   I keep telling myself that once I'm back from vacation, I'll really start to buckle down (or is it "knuckle down"?).  . . . . it's not a lie if you believe it, right??  I did get up this a.m. and do my 6 miles with Miles 3 and 4 being tempo miles.  The last half mile was the hardest, but I got through it.

So over the past month we've been doing some number crunching, and with a little bit of money I got from my pops and money saved up from my transcription work, Tuesday I was able to buy my dream car - a 2016 Subaru Outback.  Ever since I had the opportunity to drive my friend Karen's that she bought new in 2011, I've wanted one.  I've been researching and contacting dealerships near and far, and our local dealership finally ended up with the color The Hub and I could both agree on and surprisingly had a competitive price compared to out of the area dealers.  AND they gave me a fair deal on trading in my Camry (which I have never liked).  I have to admit that my butt was puckered pretty tight when I went in to finalize everything . . . . but I am in total lust with this car.  Lust, lust, lust.  All I want to do is drive it or stare at it.  There are so many gadgets on it, it's going to take me awhile to learn everything.  This morning I took it in for the perma coating on the paint and interior, and the Camry I traded in was in the shop getting all gussied up.  It was weird to walk in and see "my car,"  but do I miss it?  Absolutely not!  I've never owned such a luxurious car and I'm still pinching myself.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...well,

found out yesterday wasn't ''Bring Your Duck to Work Day''..

........we have volunteers building the kids a PlayGround next to the city park

....I love this town.

drizzle again today,

but they are trying to finish by next weekend, and a BUNCH of volunteers showed up today too

============

60's and drizzle

45-min cane walk at city park,

8th PT session,,,,,,no new moves, dunno if we topped out or what

..........good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Leslie,

Great to hear about the love you have for your new car.  I got my 2013 Outback 2 years ago, and also was in love with it.  It's kind of dirty from the dog now inside, but still great.  At first I found the seats uncomfortable, but now I am fine with them.  Do they still offer the stickers?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We're now on our 7th Subaru.  Havne't been lucky enough to get one brand new, but DW just got a 2010 Forester to replace her 1998 Outback (with 207K miles).  It's the loaded version and she's really looking forward to using the heated seats.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

We love our Subies! (Outback and Legacy)

AamosY yes there have been a lot of studies on charitable giving.  If I recall correctly, that is actually Econo's area of research.  My fuzzy memory on the topic backs up CNYrunner.  Also, you can add political bent to religious.  More religious equals more charitable giving.  More conservative means more charitable giving.  People run both together and they each contribute the a person's propensity to be charitable with their money.

fatozzig I see the squash problem in your life!  First, I have yet to find a spaghetti squash recipe I like.  I have given up.  But your other sampling have all been of the quasi dessert variety!  Try this one http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/wheat-berry-salad-with-butternut-squash-and-peppers.html, it is for a wheat berry, butternut squash and pepper salad.  One of my favorites!  If you cannot find wheat berries try another hearty grain.  Farro would work as well as a few others.  Something you know is there when you bite into it.  How about a bit savory?  Try this acorn squash stuffed with beef and sausage recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/64311/stuffed-acorn-squash-ii/.

Warm Lentil and Acorn Squash Salad with Yogurt Vinaigrette, the recipe is at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/warm-lentil-and-acorn-squash-salad-with-yogurt-vinaigrette-recipe.html.  I have more. I love squash!

Let me see, running web site, running.  Well, none in my life.  I am still shooting for Saturday.  Right now it looks more and more like Saturday afternoon if I want any chance to avoid a TM run.  I suppose we need the rain.    But, just maybe nature could spread it out a bit more?

<MTA RANT ON>If you are in a hierarchy I have a great idea.  If you write an email saying the decision is yours to make and put a period after it that is fine.  It means you are going to let the recipient make the decision.  If the actual sentence is that the decision is yours to make so long as you make the one I would have, then you know, ACTUALLY SAY THAT!  <RANT OFF>

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/