Masters Running

Tuesday is the new Monday; 9.8.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I was channeling my inner Spareribs and TwoCat this morning (how scary is that!): Just under 3 miles into my workout, I felt an unwanted tug in my right quad. I kept going for a short bit to see if it was a "come and go" kind of thing, but it didn't "go." So I shut it down and just walked the last mile - I didn't want to work through a potential injury (thanks, Ribs), and I didn't want to sustain an injury this close to Reach The Beach (thanks, TwoCat). The tug disappeared after about another quarter mile or so, but it was dang warm and muggy out, so I didn't mind taking it easy the rest of the way back. Tomorrow's another day...

Gotta go: I have a 3-hr. meeting this morning, after which I hope to finally get my glasses fixed in time to grab some lunch before my afternoon meeting. I sure have the life, don't I?

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Holy S. I actually have no idea how I strained my abdomen.  I suspect from doing a sit up or leg lift or something in the gym and just botching it up a bit.

I did some more looking into the healing time for an abdominal strain.  Depending on the severity it looks to be somewhere between a week and a month.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for the former!   In the meantime, today is couch potato day 1.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Abdominis rectus Twocat.  I had it forever and it came about one day when I ran 21 miles, then did a mess of ab crunches at the Y.  It healed only after the PT got me doing some core exercises that strengthen the smaller adjoining muscles in my abdomen and sides but left the strained muscle alone.  This one can go away fairly quickly with the right treatment, or linger for awhile without it. Good luck.

Good judgment Jay. Never hurts to not take a chance. Walk it in when you feel something give.

Here it is the second week of September and we're all waiting for the cool weather to come.  We don't mind the heat in July and August because that's how it's supposed to be, but it's annoying in September when you're looking forward to cooler temps.  We were over 100 yesterday but it was okay as I did short recovery early in the morning.  Today I just did 3.6 miles and it was oppressive because of the humidity.

Tomorrow is a different matter however.  We have a huge chance of rain which we really need, and that will ensure cool temps. I usually go long on Wednesdays, ten or more, so we'll see how heavy the rain is.   Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks,

I ran kind of a lot of miles over the weekend (Fri-20, Sat-6, Sun-10.8, Mon.-8.2) and my legs are tired, but I ran today anyway because I want to take Wed-Fri off so I will have fresh legs for the weekend.  My friend Carissa's 100-miler is made up of six 16.6-mile loops.  I told her that if  after four loops (66.4 miles) she finds that she is doing a run/walk thing, I will run the last two loops with her (33.2 miles).  However, if she is still mostly running, I will wait and run only the last loop with her, because she is a faster runner than I am and I don't want to take a chance of slowing her down at all.  That being said, I need to be prepared for the possibility of doing 33 miles on Saturday, and without a taper, so, it's time to rest the legs.  Of course, if I only run the last loop with her, then that pace bunny will get even farther ahead of me for taking these days off.  (See how the mind works against me?)

Other news is that DD will be coming as well, and bringing her best friend.  Carissa was DD's summer babysitter for a couple of years, and DD wants to be a part of her crew.  Also, DD has never been camping before, and I thought this might be fun for her, and maybe a chance for us to have some time that doesn't involve me nagging her about her sass, her schoolwork, her messy bedroom, etc.  Hopefully she will not make me regret it....

6.1 miles for me today in 75 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

.[[[jay]]]..........easy there, you're my New Role Model.........

..twocat//...........have you tried a Back Brace??

...........it may take some strain off the abs and prevent compensating  back probs later

it doesn't fix anything, but worth a shot

============

mid 90s.....very humid, and yet we're expecting low in the 50's by this weekend

1 of 2 PT sets

3x15-min walks with cane...

............so 1 1/2 hours every two days...................ohboyohboy

and

PT tomorrow......................ohboyohboy

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Lots of things happening here and too many for me to comment on since I'm leaving in a few minutes to take DW to the doctor for an eye checkup. Congrats to Jlynne on her mud race, healing vibes to TW and TwoCat, and good running by Erika and many others.

Another sweltering day here in SE Michigan, and I rode 27.3 with the Tuesday group once again and once again was sopping wet at the end. Looking forward to Saturday when the high is supposed to be only 68F. Woohoo!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

And here I'm hoping to hang onto the warmer temps as long as possible! Same planet, different worlds, right? I'm watching the forecast nervously for the next almost two weeks. I don't mind cold temps (especially after I finish in the garden), but I really don't want much precipitation (any kind... rain, snow, frost, you name it) until after the 19th!! We have several days with cloudy skies and "scattered showers" in the forecast, but that's sort of a catch-all for anything-can-happen.

Holly, has Carissa done a 100 miler before? Just wondering if she has any experience so would have a better idea of what support to ask for. I'd have no idea how to help anyone undertaking such a feat! I hope you have a good time with your DD, too. It could be a perfect get away for you two. She'll get to see you in a totally different light.

Twocat, stop doing sit ups. Even crunches. They really aren't worth much. Do what Ribs says. Strengthening the entire core is what's important and crunches and situps don't do that.

Jay, hope the quad tug was just a passing thing. I too try to see if those things will pass and sometimes they do, but I need to be better at listening to when they don't.

Steve, absolutely beautiful pictures at the end of the Labor Day thread. If anyone missed those, go back and check them out. The rooty trails look almost like some of the Equinox trails. Interesting with the cardboard in the garden. Have you tried weed-block fabric? I've used that in the past and have a corner I want to clean up that will use more of it.

Back to work. *sigh* We had such a spectacular weekend I really didn't want it to end. I'll get out for an easy run later, but my legs are still pretty tired from Sunday's escapade up Ester Dome and back, so we'll see.

Twocat, way to tough out a 20K with a strained abdomen.  On the other hand, I'm not sure it sounds like a good thing to do.  I've been thinking about your situation.  I can't remember whether you've seen a doctor about it.  I've also wondered if PT would be worth considering.  Now, in today's thread, ribs says PT helped him with the same, or similar, condition.  Good luck in your recovery.

Nice long runs for wild, enke, and Holly.

This morning, it was about 70°, there was a light wind, and a threat of rain and lightning.  I started with the mile into town and it was beginning to rain before I got there.  With some thunder and a few flashes of lightning in the distance, I ran loops around town so I could get someplace out of the weather if the lightning got worse.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:37 pace and called my wife to come and get me so I wouldn't have to run in the open along the highway in case of serious lightning.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

And here I'm hoping to hang onto the warmer temps as long as possible! 

Me, too!

Erika - this will be Carissa's first, although she has run three 50-milers in the last year.  I think she will likely run the first 50 miles in 10 hours (what she did on a comparable course), so she may have finished the first four loops by 5:00 am or so on Saturday (so I should be prepared to run by then, just in case).  She said mostly just to make sure to stock her up each time she hits the aid station, fill water bottles and gel pouches, etc., and maybe help her change shoes/socks if need be.  You know how scatty we get near the end of a marathon, and she will be running much longer.  Plus I will exchange my Garmin for hers at the halfway point so hers won't die, batteries for her headlamp (or just give her mine), and anything else she thinks of or that comes up.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Hi gang, just a quick post from my cell phone at the airport in NC. We are wating for our night flight to Macedonia.  We are so looking forward to seeing our son and visiting the region.

We did have a fabulous weekend at the memorial gathering with my in laws. Gorgeous sunshine weather on the Oregon Coast.

I did run 18 beach miles on Saturday and it felt great.

You kids behave in my absence.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Hey everyone.

I managed a decent run today on some tired legs. Another brick in the wall. Nothing like Holly though. Good work by ya.

Safe travels Mariposai and have fun.

Careful with those abs twocat. That one can last. Oh wise one Ribs is correct in his advise.

Well off to get some work stuff cleaned up for tomorrow.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Tuesday is speed work but since I will be running a marathon Saturday, adapted the 3 miles of 200s to just a tempo run.  Clouds helped us out so an easy 8:24 pace for me, sandwiched in between some slower warmup and cool down miles.

And 8+ easy this morning with an orange sun.  It's definitely getting to be running season here.

gotta go.....Pedey is back!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

amy - is that the abebe bikila again.

I hope so. However, doesn't anybody at least run the last mile barefoot?

Holly - maybe surprise Carissa with something of a favorite food they might not have at the aid stations, chocolate chips, chocolate milk, pIzza (they are good even cold at that stage), photo, etc.   Unless she runs her 50's at less than ten hours, that seems to be a superhuman pace.

Posie - say hi to the Chaco king. I missed him doing the swim/bike/run legs in his sandals at this year's annual triathlon and marathons he doesn't train for either.  I'll be landing overseas too (Tokyo) tomorrow.  Race ya.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Two cat, does anyone make you get off the couch when company comes over?

Holly, Mom get crazy about how Dad's mind works. When I get sassy, Dad tells me he is going to chop my tail off and throw it in the river. I'm big now and I should do what ever I want.

Erika, Dad uses cardboard because it keeps the dirt by the plants wet just like the munch does too. And when it sits around, it turns into dirt. When he hits it with the big noisy thing that makes the grass smaller and chops up my best sticks, it doesn't get all trangled around the blades. I hope he does not have to weed wack anymore ever. It is loud too and takes sooo long. We could go run run run instead.

Dad told Mom that the statue of Mary is gaining weight. I think he is getting lazy.

. Every day when Mom and Dad are gone, some one comes into the yard and puts papers and stuff in a box we have out front. I know it's a bad person and I yell at them to stay away. I know Mom doesn't like it, because every day she gets all the papers out of the box and has to go through them. She says the male man brings a lot of junk. Sometimes Mom says, "We got Bill's".This makes Mom and Dad very sad. I guess Bill really wants his stuff too. One day I'm gonna be out when that truck comes and I'm gonna get that male man and make him run run run!

Today there was a note there from Miss Amy! Mom and Dad was both very rexcited. The note said she planted a tree just for me in the woods! Me and Mom and Dad are going to find it!! I will make sure every doggy and everyone knows it is mine only! I'm going to grow big big sticks and I will not share them with Honey or even Marley!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Marathon Maniac #957