Masters Running

Sun Aug 10th Daily Runs (Read 444 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Just been out for a 7 hilly trail miles, sun high in the blue skies and a gentle breeze, Woody chasing squirrels and rabbits, yip, that was a cracking run. I notiiced yesterday the morning seems to start here with a glut of doggy runs, nono, perch, and Mary usually. Tim hope you had an easy run yesterday as you said you would. Anyway: 7m 01:14:35 @ 10:40 pace AHR 152 72% WHR Good Runs All Roy
      I was just typing the Sunday morning daily when I noticed that your beat me to the punch Roy! That will teach me not to dilly dally won't it. Wink Well I got rained on pretty hard yesterday while mowing my back field and had to park the tractor and go inside...this is just getting ridicuoous. Right now our area is in the the 5th wettest summer since they've been keeping records and the pattern doesn't look like it is going to change anytime soon so that could or probably will get worse! Angry One nice thing is that the rain didn't put a damper on the oldest grandson's birthday party. He turned 8 last week and was quite excited to be rid of his booster seat. He's a big kid now and is some proud that he gets to sit on the seat and use the seat belts like everyone else, what a milestone for him. Smile Hey Tetsujin, the answer to your question "according to the NBC crew, what is the only UN-member country with different designs on each side of the national flag? " I'm pretty sure it is Paraguay , my wife and I were watching the parade of country's and I seem to remember them commenting on that one, (something about the seal of the treasury department on one side). Well I'm off for a medium long run of 12 +/- miles today. It is extremely foggy out with a temp of 60 degrees and 98% humidity...ughhh! Have great runs all, and good luck to any of you that are racing today.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all! Sounded like a delightful run Roy...I sometimes wish I had a doggy to run with. Thanks for asking about my run yesterday...will tell about it in a second. Sorry about all the rain Mainerunnah. Hope you have a good run, even with the high humidity. Yea to our dearest Holly yesterday with her run, and knowing when to call it a day...good job.You are getting there...nice X training too. I could not log in yesterday afternoon after my run with my password...normaly I am always logged in. I got this new zillion charactor password (tom white had the same thing happen to him) but couldn't make it work and gave up. With a fresh outlook this morning I finally got back on and restored my old password. My run yesterday went fine and I somewhat figured out what was going on with my funky gait and pain. As I began my run I noticed I was favoring my left leg / heel and was running trying not to let my left heel touch the ground. I finally just relaxed and run the way I always did and let my heel naturally touch the ground. After a mile or so my pain was gone and I felt like myself again. I just ran what I thought was a nice comfortable pace...in very cool conditions and did not look at my Garmin till mile 13.5. My ave pace at that point was 7:43 and I was pleasantly surpised. Then I slowed waaaay down and ended up with 16 miles - 2:18 - 8:42 overall pace with I was happy with....and I did wear my new shoes, Brooks instead of my Nikes. I think Steve is right that cool temps translates into fast zippy legs. It is only 55 degress here right now and heading out for a easy 7 to 8 miler. I think Ribs was right too, that it wasn't my shoes but I have been tired. And Karen said a person can over train on low miles (but can a person overtrain, and have a super low HR?...mine has been really low during this ordeal, and was only 42 bpm yesterday before my run)...thanks everyone for your help and patience with a stubborn person. And thanks to Steve for a nice Email trying to help with some questions I asked him...from what he said, I don't think my heel pain is PF after all, but never can get a direct answer from my doc or PT. Nuff about that. I hope everyone has a super Sunday, with what ever your plans are today!!! Well, got some catching up to do around here...after my run. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! So many getting rain, and we could really use it here – my lawn is turning brown. Some nice runs yesterday, including some great racing – well done. Tim – glad you’re feeling better. Erika – way to pull it out when you didn’t think you had it that day. Enke – you really make me want to try trail running. I got up early and went to the gym, which is supposed to be open 24 hours, but they were closed, and apparently don't open until 9 on Sundays. Shocked So, another brick for me today Big grin: 30 minutes of biking (5.36 miles) and 4.15 miles running with a couple of short walk breaks (ave running pace was about 10:45). Although I felt extremely tight and stiff, I never really felt pain. I stopped in the middle of my run for some stretching to help loosen the tightness. I’ve heard people talk about feeling “tight” but until now I never knew exactly what that meant. For the first time in weeks, I feel like I might be ready for some normal, albeit slow, running. Woohoo!! Smile Off to church now - Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

A glorious run this morning. Sunny day with cool temps; IRC for August. Two highlights: I go past a large open field that is between the road and the river. When I got there today there were 11 deer in the field. The one closest to the road got spook by me and took off across the road back into the woods. This got the rest of them going and they all bounded across the big field directly towards me, crossed the road, and disappeared in the woods. Really a beautiful sight. Shortly later I got to the riverfront and the sun was about three-quarters risen over the horizon. It was blazing in a brilliant pink-orange color that was reflected perfectly in the dead calm water. Meanwhile, some guy was out there in a small boat standing up while casting, forming a silhouette against the water. What an idyllic scene. Anyway…this was the end of cutback week for me so a shorter run but I added some speed and was quite happy with it. 13.1 miles total. 1 warm-up mile @ 8:46 10 @ 8:07 2.1 cool down @ 9:01

Be safe. Be kind.

DickyG

Since I don't run on Sunday, I slept in for about 5 more minutes this morning before Billy Bob decided that I needed to go out. Lots of interesting posts yesterday: Gordon: I get a lot more miles out of my shoes than I used to..I can't run nearly as fast as you and maybe that has something to do with it...maybe slower feet leads to less wear? I can usually get 500-600 miles from a pair. Dave59:
              Too often my heart and lungs give out before my kegs, but today they did the bulk of the work.
              My kegs never give out...if filled properly. OK...I know what you meant...and that negative split on the second loop is just great. Sarge: 10 miles? You're way ahead of me. Bruce: Great 13-mile wave run...great idea to finish on the track where you can just concentrate on your pace and not have to worry about hills. TomS: 9:15 pace for your 8-miler...that's just slightly slower than your last 5K, right? Way to go. Tramps: You like deer? Please come over to my yard and take all you want... they eat all our plants, mess in the yard, and play havoc with cars...I hit one several months ago. They are a big time hazard around here. DVR'd some of the Olympics yesterday and am skimming this morning before I play golf. A couple things caught my attention: ...what is this game called "team handball"? It looks REALLY cool...are we any good at it? ...the way they score the boxing matches is downright ludicrous ...aside from Phelps, I was a little disappointed in our swimmers ...the sword-fighting USA girls rocked! I am reviewing the women's beach volleyball game...for the 134th time. DickyG
                We can corroborate Mainerunnah's account of wet weather in northern New England. We just returned yesterday from a week's trip up there, including 5 days camping in beautiful Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island. We had one dry day for hiking up Cadillac Mountain, but otherwise our raincoats came in very handy. On Friday, WRFB and I ran 19 miles on the "carriage roads" in the park. What a great way to get in mileage. Cool temps, lovely scenery, very peaceful. I'm very happy to see that Holly is getting in some careful running miles. 9 miles for me today. I had thought about trying 12, but I'm still feeling a little beat-up from Friday's long run. Cutting it short seemed prudent. Now - back to post-vacation reality of unpacking, laundry, grocery shopping, yard work. Bleh.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Good morning everyone. Managed 6.8 miles at a 10:11 pace (stopped to stretch and walk a few times). Some "uncomfortable tweaks" but nothing downright painful. It's a beautiful morning here - 53F, sun and blue skies. Even if I can't run farther or faster, just to be outside on a day like this is enough. These are the kinds of days I store in my memory bank for December and January! Have a great Sunday, everyone. Jeanne
                    ...just A Perfect Dau... ========= ..60-min trailrun........60's when I started, high 70's when I finished..... What a Great Way to start off a Day..... ..........good running guys..............Enjoy the Gift....... off to my 2nd Church

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Another beautiful morning here again 58F, sunny with gentle breeze. Some rain overnight, I can not remember the last time we had rain during daytime. There has been few rain days this summer mostly late evening storms. 5.5 miles w/DW this morning. Gotta go work OT this afternoon. Have a great Sunday!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Holly, may I make a suggestion? You are probably right on the brink of being able to run now and this is the time that many people make mistakes. Why not warm up with a 1/2 to one mile walk, then move to an easy jog. Hold the hog no longer than 3 miles. This will ease you back into running more carefully. The Saint arose early and drove me to the lake where she ran 4 miles in about the same time it took me to walk 2. Couch exercises for rest of day including 2 x nap. Spareribs
                          ...holly//......I'll Second ribb's suggestion..........in my ''Strategy for our Sixties'' thread over at KR, a Longer Warm-Up seems to be essential in running as we get older..... ......go easy, and Enjoy EVERY Minute of It...... ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ps,,,,,,,,,,The Injury gets to tell YOU when to stop.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good Morning all, 19.6 miler with Iron J and a two stater at that as we crossed over into CT. and ran a loop Iron J discovered awhile ago. She is an Ironman athlete and maps out great routes while she is doing her cycling. It was a great run and we just got into a groove and kept it going. The whole run took us 2:42 for 8:17 pace. I was jacked up from the race yesterday and then watching Michael Phelps snag his (first of many?) gold medal as well as Dara Torres churning it up with an awesome anchor leg. Running long after a race helps me deal with pacing on fatigued legs and is one of Coach’s favorite assignments. It was clear and cool and that helped too. Iron J is racing well and placed first in a cross-country series race last night. I refueled and iced and now it’s off to pick up Super Granny. She’s coming over for Olympic viewing and dinner. Mr. CNYrunner is making a pasta dish with basil and tomatoes from our garden. Life is good. Good running out there as well as couch intervals too. Holly---good news on your recovery and good advice here as well. Spareribs advice in particular. I did chuckle when I read his posting since he says hold the hog (I think meaning jog)---must be the pig valve talking! Sorry, couldn’t resist! It’s great that you did 2 miles again Ribs. Tim, it sounds like you have found your groove again. Karin/CNYrunner
                              I hope to get back later for a longer post but this has to be it for now as I need to get in and out of the gym before my DW gets back from her trip to the gym. Yesterday was a race at that classic distance of 6.76 miles. I am just not as fast as I was last year. I am not sure what is wrong but something is up, or down or however one looks at it. I may try adding more mid-week temp work and see if that helps. The good news is that last week I was off 17 seconds/mile my pace from last year and this week it was only 9. That is better so maybe I am catching back up. Hey you have to stay positive! Age will eventually win out but I am planning to fight it all the way! Today was an 8 mile recovery run with my DW. She is threatening to do next week's race in the local series which is 8.44 miles. I am not sure but I think that is just off of 8.45323 miles at which DickyG holds the world record. He will have to let us know for sure. Wink I hope my DW does run the race as it will be her longest race ever! Keep your fingers crossed. One last thing. DickyG once you start running with a GPS watch you discover just how useful it is and then you want it for every run! It is hard to explain but it is like have a great running partner. Yea, you can run without your trusty partner, but it is just way better having it along.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

The Jogger

Tramps, is it safe to run in wooded areas were there are lots of deer, during the rutting season (serious question, there are lots of deer where I run)? Roy