Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 8.25.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Just a quick drive-by to say CONGRATS to Dave, Tselbes, Holly, and TriTet for some very nice racing over the weekend! (I hope I didn't miss anyone...)

I have to go to court this morning, representing our conservation commission, for a hearing against a property owner who has refused to honor our wetlands ordinances or a building permit he received over 2 years ago. We've worked very hard to get him into compliance by offering to help him with permit forms, giving him options that would nor require wetlands permits or a new building permit, etc., and he's refused to budge, or even respond to most of our efforts. It didn't have to go this way, and taking it to court is a stupid waste of everyone's time, but that is the only option he's left us.

No workout this morning, but I expect I'll be back out there tomorrow.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Ran 5 this morning.  My brain feels like it is running in mud today.  need to snap out of it and get rolling.

Mariposai

What a great weekend of running and racing for so many folks around here!!!

We sure are one healthy bunch of people.

Just 4 miles for me this morning. Lunch hour gym diva day with my co-workers.

Have a good Monday, you all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

BlazinCajun

What a great weekend of running and racing for so many folks around here!!!

We sure are one healthy bunch of people.

Way to go - love this bunch

Swapped my long run from yesterday to today. 10 degrees F. drop from 78 to 68. Long run done, Check! Remind me not to run on narrow roads in the dark on school days past the school bus depot. Today's run was crazy with traffic. Pace bunny is now in my review mirror after a week of back and forth. I just love wetlands Jay

Andrew
          ------------------
          God, my Lord, is my strength;
          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
          and enables me to go upon the heights.
          Hb 3:19

King of PhotoShop

Not much to report today.  3.4 mile recovery run at the Park with the Saint.  It's going to be another scorcher here today and tomorrow, but I'm inside doing work so I don't mind.  Spareribs

Great time in the Crim, Dave59, regardless of the conditions! What AG are you in? I agree that it's those rollers coming in on Court Street that really wear you down at the end. My PR was several years ago on a particularly cool, non-humid day. If I had run it this year in 1:33 I'd definitely have been very happy about it. Also good that you could run & finish without much prep, TomS. As it's been noted, the hills are really only hills for total flatlanders. Now you've got me inspired to run it next year for "old times sake."

Ran 6 HHH this morning, which was just the way I like it. It was actually a bit overcast when I started out and I was looking forward to a cool if humid run, but then the clouds cleared out after the first mile and I was glad I was going to be running past the library so I could stop in and refill my water bottle.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Nice effort Doug, and Dave - snap out of it!

No rum today - just a little fizzy lifting, stepperfication, and spinnerooni.  I just got an invite to my 35th anniversary high school reunion.  It's the evening of the Hartford marathon.  Now I don't know what to do.

Marathon Maniac #957

No rum today 

Oh come on, Joe, it's five o'clock somewhere, right?  

Jay - it's unfortunate that it has to come to that, but it sounds like you have given him all the chances available.  Some folks are just obstinate.

No run for me today either, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

That's a bummer Jay. Some people are difficult to find a common ground. Good luck.

Good timing on the long run swap Balzin.

Stay cool Ribs.

How did things turn out with the wildfires Mari?

Bummer about the rum PBJ. Perhaps there is some beer.

Did a double today. 2 just to wake up this morning and 5.75 at HM race pace at lunch. Oh boy way is hot and humid. Got a good workout though. I enjoyed my NYC trip. Good business, good running, good food and I got some exploring time via the subway on my way to meet with customers.  Well back to work for me.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

tet, nice tri with AG win.  Steve, good job in your trail half.

Nice long runs for Jay, Holly, stumpy, Mike, and starr.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was just a light breeze.  I did 6 miles at an 11:02 pace.

At the Crim, I got to talking with another guy who, like me,  is no longer a youngster.  In discussing our relatively good health for our ages, he said his doctor told him, "If everyone was like you, I wouldn't be driving a Porsche."

Shortly, we will be off for our weekly babysitting privilege.

A good day and good running for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

Hi Everyone!

It's our last week of summer break, although it sort of feels over anyways since David has XC practice every morning. First meet (a mixed gender relay wearing costumes) is this Friday and then Saturday he's running a 50K relay with 4 other members of his XC team. He's so excited!

David and I ran 4.3 miles yesterday. So I got in a whopping 4.3 miles of running last week , while he's now in the low 30's each week.

Tammy

On Saturday I skipped the local crazy distance race.  I got up late and would have had to rush to make it plus my feeling was that my quads could use another day off.  Yesterday I resumed running and I sure had a lot of pep!  I ran my standard 10 mile route but at about a 45 second per mile pace faster than usual and I was not pushing it.  Maybe those quad exercises actually helped after giving myself time to heal up from them!

Swiss chard:  While I am waiting for my database to reformat I figured I would discuss cooking Swiss chard given how many people earlier said they hate the stuff.  As I mentioned earlier the three big stewing greens are kale, Swiss chard and collard greens.  Of the three, Swiss chard is in some ways the trickiest to deal with.  Kale is a bit sweet which helps when making it part of a dish, just tough as nails unless you treat it first.  Collard greens tend to have a pretty standard set of cooking methods associated with it that makes it easier to deal with (even if the creative options seems somewhat limited).  Swiss chard is naturally bitter and the stems are really tough.  What to do?  It is not called a stewing green for nothing!  While I have seen salad recipes that use it raw (just be sure to pull the leaves from the stems, chop them up and let them soak in acid, like lemon juice, for a bit prior to serving) I think Swiss chard works better when cooked down.  Like kale if you try to use Swiss chard all by itself that is unlikely to be a big hit and why I think many people here say they hate the stuff.  One of my favorite Swiss chard recipes is called Farrow with Braised Greens and you can find it on my Allrecipes page.  It is from the Wall Street Journal of all places!  In this recipe you cook it down with garlic, onion, red pepper and lemon peel.  These ingredients are designed to mellow the chard's bitterness.  But, the chard is not served alone even after all this cooking down.  No, you combine it with farrow, pistachios, ricotta cheese and pomegranate syrup.  (I find that huckleberry syrup and similar ones work just as well).  The farrow gives the dish some texture as do the pistachios.  Plus both add their own nutty flavor.  The cheese is another ingredient to mellow all the flavors in this dish together as well as give it a sense of richness.  Last but not least is the syrup.  Kale has a bit of natural sweetness.  Chard does not.  So the syrup makes up for that!  Need a simpler recipe?  Try http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Swiss-Chard-with-Raisins-and-Almonds-241474 or in English Swiss Chard with Raisin and Almonds.  The raisins here substitute for the syrup in the farrow recipe to add some sweetness and the almonds give the dish the nutty taste and crunch the pistachios did.  The recipe also includes some smoked paprika to add both heat (instead of the red pepper) and helps hide the bitterness of the greens a bit.  It comes out great!  Want to mix up your own recipe?  Just follow these rules and you should do fine:  Cut the leaves off the stems.  Stew the leaves so they soften up.  Add both a sweetener (raisins, syrup, cranberries, whatever). a bit of heat (your favorite pepper or chili) and some crunch (either a nut or a grain with texture, brown rice might even work).  There, done!  At least give it a try before deciding Swiss chard is off your diet!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good luck with the court session today, Jay. Some people…..

Dave – Great racing at the Crim and super special that you got to see Tom2.

Posai – Gym Diva Day with your co-workers sounds Divine!  You people that squeeze in noon workouts must not sweat as much as I do!  I have biked on my lunch hour before but that’s about it. Oh, I really don’t worry about time since I know I am slow, but have been trying to figure out a doable pace for the half in 2 weeks.

Blazin – It seems like the weather was on your side today, but boy do I hate traffic and that diesel engine smoke, yuck! Nice that the pace bunny is where it should be.

Tetsujin – you run such determination and will to participate in all the races you do.  Congrats on your award, that is awesome that you are still competing.

SteveP – too bad nobody got that tear-jerking event on video.  The picture of Avenger Doggie was great though.  Glad you made your goal J

TomS – Yeah, I finally made the long run list of yours! Funny, but true, comment from the doctor.  Have fun with that little grandson, maybe more pictures are in order.

Twocat – Thanks for the recipe but this girl is not gonna try it.  When I grow up I hope I will learn to eat different vegetables.

Tammy – good to hear from you and David.  His career is fun to follow.

I am off work in about half an hour and plan to take the bike out for a spin.  I had to take it back to the store on Saturday so that they could do a firmware upgrade on the battery charger (Ultegra DI-2). Hopefully it all works now that I am back home.  I may even go for a run after that.  IRC today.  Celebrate Recovery meeting tonight but MrStarr and I don't have to do the music. It is so nice to have him sober now too, 9 months now.  Camping and going to parties is such a pleasure now and I don't have to worry about either of us falling off our bikes for that reason.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Not for nothing, TC, but you can cook cardboard with garlic, onions, and red pepper and all those other goodies and make it taste decent. 

although I will admit to really liking the "greens and beans" at my FIL's favorite Italian restaurant.  I think they use escarole, though.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Good running and workouts everyone.

Rest day for me...running anyway. I managed to discuss 1 hour+ of free weights and core exercises this morning. It has been awhile since last workout but fortunately muscle memory still there.  I even did some squat presses in addition to UB and core exercises

Have good night all..

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum