Masters Running

Tasty Tuesday, 8.7.12 (Read 408 times)

I had 62F this morning, like Holly.  It was humid though, and my time was really slow.  I used my timex watch and I can't believe I ran that slowly, it couldn't possibly be different than the time on my Garmin right?  (on the same 4.2 mile route I do frequently).  Maybe tomorrow I will take both timers with me.....sounding a bit like MikeE aren't I?

Tim - Donna's a cutie!

My big sister from Sweden is coming to visit me this weekend.  I haven't seen her in 5 years.  I can't wait.  It will be 4 straight days of non-stop gabbing.  She is my closest girlfriend, and I have always looked up to her.  I doubt I will get much running in.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't know much about running mile repeats, though... is 30 seconds between each one how it's normally done?

I have no idea. Really, I'm just playing it by ear.

Tim - I gotta say, that last picture of the two of you is adorable - you should get that one framed!

Starr - I LOVE homemade salsa!

Enke - fun!  I wish I had a sister....

I have not raced all summer, and have been mostly running abysmally slow, so I signed up for a HM on Aug.19th (Little Miami HM in Morrow, OH).  I have absolutely no hopes of a very decent showing, but the fact that it is a race will force me to push myself to a good quality run.  It is well-timed, being 4 weeks out from Equinox, and the week before my last 20-miler.  Also, I  talked to the woman I recently shared a LR with, and think I have her talked into running it too, which will be fun, having someone to go with and share the experience with.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

bike, nice pics of you and Donna.  Also, congrats to her on her first race with an AG award to boot.  econo, great team relay.  ribs, Joe's obit was special for a special man. 

Nice long runs for breger, wild, Mike, perch, bike, and Twocat.  Good job on the speedwork for holly.

This morning, it was in the high 50s.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:29 pace.

Tomorrow, it's off to Minneapolis for a wedding.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Ran my mile TT tonight. Ugh. I simply am in awe of the speedsters. Amazing. That is a hurt of a distance.

Lately my second run of the day is at our community center which has a skatepark. DS2 and his little buddy are learning to skateboard. I get to run a few miles and then watch them learn tricks. Oh to be young again.

Relax Holly. You'll do fine. Miles are miles and there is always race-day-magic.

Minneapolis Tom. Such a nice place. Moe's steakhouse is my all time favorite. Oh my. Now I'm hungry.

Have fun with your sis enke. My brother lives in Germany and we haven't seen each other in 10 years. Enjoy.

Well back to work. Ick.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

I have not raced all summer, and have been mostly running abysmally 

I know what you mean about no racing at all. I have been hunting for races in my area with no luck. Have fun! You will do great. You lucky girl! You will have so much fun with our snow queen.

Star, pass that salsa!

Tom, emjoy the wedding in Minneapolis. Who is getting married?

Enkephalin, enjoy your sister! I so totally understand about your sister being your best buddy.

TaperBoy, enjoy your trip to Japan.

Tamster, your son has a great role model!

EconoSistahhh, pictures of the team, please!!!

This morning was a 10 miler with 7 miles at tempo for me (my legs surprised me with some speedy paces during the hilly tempo). My legs are back three weeks post race!  The best part of the run??? The first 35 minutes!!! Cool breeze and calm as a glympse of sunshine came up over the mountain.

Speaking of Women's marathon on Sunday. We watched it in the evening after I returned from my hike.  My DH teased me that Flanagan and I have something in common...we both are trying to get a cute shorts tan going Blush

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Bushrat Runner

Checking in from the bear capital of the free world. Yesterday was a pretty easy effort, not so today. Got out and ran a half marathon worth of miles with a speedy companion. I've been working on losing some of the weight that had mysteriously crept on over the past couple years, and running in calorie deficit mode generally makes the legs a little sluggish and heavy. Which is fine, because it is obvious that I'm making progress in the weight department. But I found that I was running short on food, so I sent a food supplies SOS home and my wife sent me an abundance of goodies...

So today I got out there and found that it was clear I was not in calorie deficit. The legs were humming along with a little more verve, and we were moving fast enough that I thought I better be careful since we were going to be running a ways. On the way back, the horse going back to the barn syndrome started rearing its head. I looked down and saw that we had ratcheted the pace down pretty significantly, but it felt okay so on we went. Looked down again...oh my. Of course the gentleman I was running with is young and fit and never even breathed hard, but I was laying down a serious progression run. Luckily he mostly could carry on a meaningful conversation with himself. He occasionally asked me a question which I would gasp out an answer to, but not too bad. But then he started asking questions about the olympics...I had to tell him at that point that the answers would have to wait! We burned it on in, then ran the last half mile in cool-down mode. 

Wow. 

That hurt. 

Hurt good, but hurt. 

I haven't had a good run like that in a while. Like a few years. Pretty exciting. I'm going to be a pansy and take tomorrow off from running.