Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 12.22.13 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sorry, but I'm already behind schedule today, and don't have time to comment on yesterday's posts.

8.1 racewalking miles in a wind-driven light rain this morning. Not too bad, except for soaking my feet in some puddles hiding in the dark.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, Jay, and everyone else who happens to pop in, today.

I'm glad your office party went well, Jay.  Nice racewalking, today, too.  As far as mileage years...for me its a PR year...for the second year in a row...you people are an inspiration to me.

Speaking of inspirations...tomwhite--it's nice that you had such a wonderful time with Claire.  And thanks for the link to your choir...I wish ours sounded that good.

Nice treadmill workout, Jeanne...and don't you just love the snow plow drivers?  Poor guys--they can't win.  We want them to get every single street plowed and clear of snow...except that little spot at the end of our driveways.

Hey Tramps--do you a have a next marathon planned yet?  By the way...what's the temp at your house today?

How are you feeling, today, Dave?  That was a tough run, yesterday.  You might want to try 20 someday...it's not bad as you might imagine...or it might be worse...depending on your imagination.

Hey Ribs--that is a good looking kid you got there.  I, umm, have to admit...I got a little choked up just reading about how his Form gave him a standing ovation.

Hey stumpy...umm...what the heck did you do yesterday?

Nice run, Denise...enjoy the sun while you can!

Holly--do you ever not putter?  Hey--try this: go into the living room--turn on the TV--put your feet up on the coffee table--and just relax...for an hour.  Then report back and tell us how the DH and kids reacted.

I guess it makes no sense to say hi to Karin...she's unplugged.

It's good to hear you're running pain-free, enke.  Good luck with the de-cluttering!  I need to do that in my room, too...although...the mess keeps DW out...

More hardware for Tom--nice job!

Yep--it's tough to not eat too much this time of year...especially with the food you make...even though I've never even heard of half the stuff you talk about.  Have fun at all the parties!

tet--umm...I don't even know what to say...

My one wish in life is to be as happy as Mariposai...I don't know if I could handle it, though...

Well--I haven't run for a week--my Christmas shopping is done--I might just have to go out for 6 or so, today.

Okay--that's all I got.  See ya!

I love it. Jay is too busy to recap yesterday so his good buddy Mike steps up. Thank you Mike! Hope you get a good run in today.

It's snowing! We haven't had snow here since - um - yesterday. It's blowing and drifting pretty good (the poor Packers - that game oughta be a mess this afternoon) so I carefully drove to the Y for 4 miles on the elliptical and 30 minutes of weights. Not too many brave souls there this morning.

Hope none of you are being affected by the "Gemini Ice" syndrome. Enjoy your Sunday everyone and stay warm ( you too, Tramps )

...thanks for the support, actually I would call it ''No Other Optioms""......

==========

but I digress............

I am going to kill myself on this bike, not on the road mind you, just getting On and Off

today,

I cleverly

raised the seat whilst already ON the bike (remember last time my leg buckled)

turns out

I was about Straight Up and Down  when I got seated.

Oh, what the hell

(thinks I)

I'll try riding it like this

which worked really well til I had to STOP the thing.

my Tukus

prevented my Legs

from reaching THE ROAD>>>>>>>tip: Not a GoodBikingPosition

after

tipping over,

I reached

Under

Back

and

Behind Me

to drop the seat,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which somehow (don't know, wasn't facing that direction)

was in the UNLOCKED position

sorta Swivelled Home,

but

at leat I knew I'd be able to get OFF the damn thing

for the record-

45-min bikeride WithIncidents

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Goodrunning Guys,

if you run by any bikers do NOT assume they know what the hell they are doing,,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

I am going to kill myself on this bike, not on the road mind you, just getting On and Off

TW, that's why I bought a "ladies' model" Trek earlier this year. I barely have to lift my leg over the low bar.

Ran my longest in my 'comeback' this morning-5 miles. High 40's and cloudy-shorts again. Ran through the Boston Garden and Commons and even the panhandlers were in a holiday mood as they greeted me with season's greetings and big smiles.

My running is still barely more than a jog but a bit faster than the last month.

Marj is babysitting one of the GD's while her parents are celebrating DIL's birthday prior to heading out (all 3) to visit DIL's family in Hong Kong over the holidays. This is GD's 3rd trip there-she's 6 and already a 'jetsetter'.

Twocat, your menu sounds delicious.  I hope you have enough people to eat it all up.

TomW - not sure someone should adjust the seat while riding????  but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Jlynne - Gemini Ice - I have no idea what you are talking about.

Tetsujin, thank you for the lovely rhyme.  I played the original song, and quite enjoyed it.  Although I run on Cougar Mtn., I am not a cougar, although an interesting 27 yr old cougar hunter contacted me yesterday.  Nope, not going there!

Foot feels ok enough to try another run today.

Off to Christmas shop this morning.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Nice recap Mike.

Careful with that mount and dismount Tom. That's where all the Olympians seem to loose points.

13.2 this morning. It been busy with travel and getting ready for the holidays.

Wanted to share something kind of neat. DS1 made a fruit smoothie for DD this morning for no apparent reason. When I asked him what's up, he said, "I just thought she might like one so I made one for her." Now that made my day. This is also my little dude that missed out on JO Nationals.

Have a great Sunday.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all (or at least it is as I start typing)

Mike--nothing specific, just referring to the total body of work over the last 33+ years.

Just under 9-1/2 miles this morning.  shorts weather since it was 39 when I left.  Our 16" of snow has taken quite a hit with the warm temps the past couple of days.  Not looking good for a white Christmas.  But it does make the running a little easier--just puddles to avoid instead of slush and ice.

DD is back in town for a week and freezing after being in CA for the past 4+ years.  The local zoo does a "Zoo Lights" Christmas decorating spectacular and we decided to go see what it looked like.  With the warm weather, so did 2/3 of the population north of Boston.   But it was fun to see.  DD asked "why didn't we do this when we were kids?"  We just said "good question--ah, they didn't do it then?"

TomS--you run with some fast old guys.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

henrun, glad to hear of the 5 mile "comeback" run.

Nice long runs for mari and C-R.

This morning, the temperature was about 30°, there was some wind, and freezing rain that had been coming down all night.  People all around us were without electricity (but not us) and church was cancelled.

I did 3 miles on the TM at a 10:41 pace.

The next several days, the temperature is supposed to drop a whole bunch.  As a retired guy, I should have gone south for the winter.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

3 miles in worse footing then yesterday.  Tomorrow I am hitting the treadmill before a lose a leg out there.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Good morning, my friends.

Beacon Hill Park, along Victoria's seaside, has a perfect one-mile circuit that was once a horse track and is now a road.  My cycling club ends many rides in Beacon Hill Park, doing a few laps and sprinting for glory at the second crosswalk by the petting zoo before going to drink coffee and tell lies.

Some time in June, some bright spark said, "Hey.  I have this dumb idea.  Let's ride a century on the solstice.  In Beacon Hill Park."  It was just the kind of epic-stupid thing this club loves to do, so a great many nutbars turned out before dawn and rode around and around as summer joined us.  (I am proud to say that I am QOM on the Strava segment that happens to be 100 laps of Beacon Hill Park.  That said, I am one of only three women who have done it, ever.)

Then.  Some time earlier this month, that same bright spark said, "Hey.  I have this dumb idea."  Many of us promptly poured coffee on him to make him stop, but it didn't work.  "There are not one, but *two* solstices in the year," he said. After we threatened to pound him with some stale fruitcake, he backtracked and said, "...of course, because of the winter weather, I meant 100 *kilometres*." So, there I was at dawn yesterday, riding through mist in the dark with twenty other kooks in argyle spandex, going around and around.  We had a blast.  The pack cooperated beautifully and averaged almost 20 mph.

Today was a relatively pedestrian (ha) trip around Elk Lake, in the rain and mud.  Just the way I like it.

Mustang Momz arrives for a few days tomorrow, so I'd best get on with cleaning the house.  Thinking especially of those of you iced in... be very careful out there.

evanflein

Hey Jlynne, it's snowing here, too! But not again, the word is "still" snowing. I was so looking forward to a nice run in the warmer temps on the freshly plowed bikepaths around campus. But no.... mama nature had other plans. So, no matter really, as I spent the day doing errands and shopping, got home late for a quick 4 miler on the treadmill. Same as Friday night. I'll have to do a half marathon's worth of running on something somewhere to hit 40 for the week. At least I'm well over my 2,000 mile goal for the year. Won't quite hit 2,200, but it'll be close.

Twocat, your menu sounds wonderful. I had farro in a restaurant once, and really liked it. Haven't found it in stores here though, would probably have to order it. Glad to hear you're back to running after your marathon, none the worse for wear.

tomwhite, you'd probably do better with that bike if you stopped trying to do things like adjust the seat too high when you're on it... just sayin'. Glad the 72 hour rule did the trick.

Hi MustangSally<waving> ! Say hi to Momz for us! (and I love how you don't shy away from doing crazy things on the bike...)

Dave, you've got more gumption than I do... I'd have used the screwshoes from the start!

I don't remember a Saturday when Holly didn't run.

Ribs, that's quite the impressive young man you and the Saint have there. Congratulations!

C-R, I'd be wondering what he put in it.... (nice though, really).

Fun, muddy run, Enkephalin! Dogs love that stuff. Sounds like you had fun!

Alright everyone, that's about it from me. Can't remember much else. I should join Karin in the unplugged corner...

Marathon Maniac #957

miles Mike – I almost never get possession of the remote….DH is always in the middle of some movie or the kids are playing Xbox on the big TV in the family room. There’s a TV upstairs but it doesn’t have the DVR, so I almost never watch it. However, I am usually busy doing other things, so I mostly don’t mind.

Tom – yikes!

Henrun – nice to see you running again!

C-R – very cool!

Dave59 – you are braver than I am…

Mustang Sally – wow! Sounds like fun, though.

Twocat – I love farro! I get it at Trader Joe’s and have it regularly, usually in a one-pot meal with sautéed onions, garlic, apples, and Italian sausage. I love the crunchy substantive texture.

Erika – I know, right? I am just slacking on running this week, seems like, so busy with other stuff. I expect to run more next week, though, with the extra days off.

For some reason I slept in very late this morning (7:30!) and robbed myself of time for my LR, since we had plans to go to our church’s Christmas service this morning (there are other services on Christmas Eve but DH and I both work that day.) I did have time for 9 miles in an unexpectedly warm but extremely windy 55 degrees. The river is higher than I have ever seen it with the unexpected warm-up and two days of rain, so the bike path was cut off in both directions by flooding.

I promised myself that I would run twice today, once before church and then again when we got home. However, after church we had lunch with friends, then went to a jewelry story to remove the extra links in my new watch (they sent us elsewhere), then to Game Stop to buy a neighbor boy’s gift, then to the chocolate store for his mother’s gift, then to the mall to find the watch kiosk and have my links removed, then to the hardware store to buy tools to fix DS’s broken brake line, then to the auto parts store to get brake fluid, then home to drop off the family, then off to my SD’s to borrow a jack.  Now I am just arriving home, and still need to cook dinner (taquitos), wrap presents, and make my grocery list for the Christmas meal.   (I am going to brave the grocery store tomorrow after work, with probably every other resident of this town.)  Somehow I don’t think I will get that second run in after all….a shame since we will be back in the deep freeze tomorrow.

9 miles it is.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I just signed up for the Paradise Coast Marathon in Naples, Florida on February 16th!  Got my plane ticket--one way--for 100 dang dollars!  It's nice to have a daughter that travels and knows how to do things right.

I gotta go and post it on the Intrepid Racers thread...

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all.

TW, I fear for you on that bike!

Goal was 18 today but at about 13+ today I pulled up with what felt like either a calf cramp or strain. Brought me to a dead stop. Walked back to the clubhouse, and counting the walk, got 16 in. Tomorrow I will walk, then go to the Y and work it a bit. No running until no pain.  It was mid 30's and windy and I was wearing shorts. My friends speculated that maybe the cold got to the muscle somehow.  Not sure, but I'll take it easy.

Spareribs