Masters Running

Monday, March 31 Runs (Read 714 times)

Nobody posted yet? Guess I'll start one for a change. March is not going out like a lamb in these parts. A lot milder today for a change, but stormy, and a bunch of traffic lights were out on my way into work. Should be an interesting "opening day" down at the ballpark this afternoon. No running today, but I got in a whole three miles on the treadmill yesterday at a very slow 15:00 pace. But at least that's progress. It's much better to do my recovery on a TM because that's the only way that I could force myself to run for 45 minutes at that slow of a pace. Once I get outside, I know I'd just start speeding up too much. I had a new physical therapist last week who was more experienced with runners, and she really went over a number of hamstring and quad stretches for me to do. She said that my hamstrings and quads were very tight in both legs, and my problem could have been caused by the tight muscles torqueing my pelvis around as my stride increased. So now I've really got religion about stretching before and after a workout and things are starting to improve. At least I feel cleared to do some running while we're on vacation starting next week! I hope everyone has a good start to the work week, and I'll try to catch up on the weekend's posts later today.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

PJH

Thanks for starting Roch. Don't think I've ever been this close to the start of the daily. Nice 6.0 miler in liquid sunshine ... 59:42 ... 9:56 pace with a really low hr today - 126. Planning another 4 miles later this afternoon with my running "mentee". Have a great day and great runs everyone. PJ
      dg.

good morning. -) doug, that's my typical run. not sure what kind of smiley to stick here. Undecided but it's nice to have company, in a sort of twisted way. I hope your new pt helps a lot. nice run & good morning, pj. I read the weekend posts, Big grin Big grin. this morning I've done pilates workout 1 & the lower body yoga workout. yesterday was pilates 2, hammie curls on the stab. ball, side planks, something else which I forget, & lots of gardening cleanup. hoping to get running again soon. happy monday!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good Morning! Bet there is alot of resting today after the awsome weekend running! Stretching enough but not too much is the key Roch. My staple stretch is the 'ol leg up on the counter (or file cabinet, or stairs....) and grab the toes with the hand and pull back to feel calves, hamstring, and especially behind the knee. I'll do 3 x 30 seconds right after a run and never before. Before a run, I'll just gently bend down to touch my toes going a bit at a time until there. Usually takes a few bends to get there but don't hold it any length of time. Tory just does one stretch (and a yawn) when he gets up. As long as I can bend down and touch the ground, I know my hamstrings are loose enough. Injury free 9 months and counting... Rest day today with some hamstring strengthening and a 2 minute "-on elbows" front plank(try this it is challenging). Pushup position resting on forearms and hold as long as you can. Have great runs and rests Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tramps

Hey folks, haven't been around for awhile but I wanted to drop in and say hello. All's fine; I've just been buried with work...and will be for another month or so. I knew this was coming and is the key reason I didn't try to do a marathon this Spring. Anyway, I went 10 days or so without running--by far my longest down-time in the last couple of years. Unexpectedly, I enjoyed it! i had the chance to enjoy leisurely cups of coffee in the morning reading the newspaper, instead of dashing off to get my 7 miles in before work. But alas, I do start feeling like a slug and it was time to get back out there today and ease back into it. It'll be minimal maintenance running until this workload eases up, but that's okay. Today it was 5.2 miles @ 8:52. I focused on making sure I didn't go out to fast. I had plenty of energy from all that resting but, of course, everything was a little creaky. Hope you've all been well. Look forward to catching up.

Be safe. Be kind.

A nice 'n easy 8 miles this morning before the rain and drizzle started. After I got back and logged my run, I realized that I'm 0.7 miles short of a monthly PR, last set in July, 2006. Sheesh. Thinking about a short run tonight after work... Some great runs and races over the weekend. Good work guys!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

SteveP

Tramps is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, I posted on CharleyGross's thread, so I'll double post here. Roch - good news! Tramps - Hi! Our realtor brought over the inspection results last night. We apparently have radon. That’s $1,000 to mitigate. Plus they want us to put on a new roof ($2,200), a new electrical box ($1,600), and a new furnace, preferably a high efficiency unit ($??!). (sigh) (…banging her head on table….) I’ll be sooooo glad when all this is done. No run today, just some ab/core work. On the plus side, March was a PR month for mileage for me. Smile SteveP - the furnace is the immediate concern, because apparently the heat exchanger is cracked and leaking carbon monoxide - a safetly hazard for my family. This may have triggered a false positive for the radon test, so we'll replace it and then pay for our own re-testing.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Tramps, I was wondering what happened to you...glad to see that you're OK! 10.02 miles of hills @ 9:16 pace in the rain this morning. I have to say that I actually enjoyed running on a Monday morning in the rain. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

SteveP - the furnace is the immediate concern, because apparently the heat exchanger is cracked and leaking carbon monoxide - a safetly hazard for my family. This may have triggered a false positive for the radon test, so we'll replace it and then pay for our own re-testing.
                      Holly - some states offer tax breaks for new high efficiency furnaces - you might check into that before you pick one to make sure the rating is high enough to qualify if your state has that break. Also, be sure to air your basement out thoroughly before your re-test.

Marathon Maniac #957

Skip - Thanks, I'll check into the tax break. We don't have a basement though. We live in a ranch on a slab foundation. DH thinks that a false positive may have resulted because the radon equipment was in our bedroom, right beside his side of the bed, and he had a large bean burrito for lunch that day..... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, sometimes when you have a forced break like that you come back stronger than ever. Roch, Perchcreek got me doing that ham stretch with the leg up on the wall and it's been a good one for me. Good luck; sounds like you're making progress. Just core work for me today. Lots of stretches and ab stuff, what my PT calls "Dynamic Flexibility" set. Spareribs
                            spareribs, it's great that you were able to run every day last week. Teresa, neat that you got to run with your daughter. However, I wonder how one could keep track of 76 laps. Congrats on the weekly distance PRs for mariposai, hopeful, WRFB, and Holly. Also, monthly PR for WRFB. jjj, congrats on a fine half and marathon. WRFB, that pile of shoes looks familiar. Deez, happy birthday. Twocat, nice 30K race. roch, it sounds like more progress. Hi Tramps, it's good to hear from you. Holly, that's really a bummer about the house inspection. tet, good job on the ultra. In the long run category, there sure were a ton of 20 or 20+ milers including wa5yom, Ilene, breger (progression), WRFB, perch, dtoce, evryday, enke, and Evan. Other nice long runs for Vista, Evan, Tammy, and Peter. This morning, the temperature was 40 or a bit higher, it was calm, and got misty before I was done. I got in 8 miles in just under 1:20 for a 9:57 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

My running partner and I ran 4 miles in 44:20. A balmy 34 degrees with not much wind. Our route included a hill that was about 0.9 miles long, so I was proud of us! I just found out that the HM we signed up for in September is kind of hilly, so we have to get on the ball. Hills scare me! More rain/snow predicted for this week, so I may have to hit the TM again. Shoot, the school nurse called and my 15-year-old is sick, so I have to go pick him up. Always something! What do you moms do who work outside the home?? I feel as if I'm on call all the time! Teresa
                              btb1490

Happy Monday, masters! Some fine stuff happened this weekend for many of you! Congrats all around! from yesterday... breger- that 20 miler yesterday says you are so ready! Congrats! PDR- wow! After a 20 miler! Having the family around must be magical for your running! Mariposai- a 60 mile week! Awesome! Nice way to finish up your training before taper time! Congrats! hopeful4ever- another master with a record week in the books! I'm happy for you! Smile Kevin- good for you for getting out on the bike in those temps! Stick with it, ok? Even though the muscles are different than running, you're still helping out your running by biking. halllar- a very nice weekend of runs for you! Keep up the great work! eliz- I'm glad the orthotics seem to be working out. Good move cutting back because of your sore foot, you sure made the most of it with your other workouts. Well done. Hope the foot is better today. Jeanne- so what Wii game was worth all that? Was it really for your kids, or for you? Wink Sarge- always giving back to the race community. Nice! PJH- congrats on the 60 mile week! You are so ready! I'm glad the foot has been good to you! WRFB- yet another PR week for a master's runner here! You are doing so awesome! Really strong run yesterday! Hysterical shoe picture! perchcreek- nothing stopping you now! Well done. dtoce- yes, you are ready! runningindc- continued good luck with your foot! I have a good feeling about things this time around. JJJ- what a weekend you had! Always and adventure with you! teresa- don't forget to throw some stepback weeks in the mix every now and again. charleygross- congrats on the 6 in a row string. On the 7th day he rested... Holly- I am so glad things went well for you in your marathon! YOu are gonna have a GREAT Boston! evryday- how nice of your wife to come to your rescue during your hot run! Well done! Smile nonoruns- what a day you had! What was harder, the run or the party? dromedary- good running conditions for you! That must've been some sight seeing that dochsund running! How many steps per mile do you think it takes? enke- shorts? In that weather? I guess running 20 miles wasn't hard enough as it is! Well done, your running is really progressing! deez4boyz- HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! YOu picked the perfect way to celebrate! Smile evanflein- awesome run for you too! Look at that pace you held, even with the hills. Enjoy that taper! So your son has been christened already! Lucky it was relatively minor, and I'll bet a great lesson was learned. You handled it very well. Smile ribs- I am listening. As I said, I know you know what to do, you certainly don't need my input with your running, so I'll shut up. Good job upping the miles from your usual 3.3. I hope the progress continues. CNY- one word.... awesome! Tammy- what kind of weather vortex what that you were running through? How do you even dress for those conditions? That was a pretty speedy run Tammy, well done! Rootbeer after... reminds me of the comic strip Peanuts, with Snoopy and Woodstock drinking their rootbeers. Twocat- Sad Taper!!!! It's time, and it sure sounds like you need it! from today.... rochrunner- 3 miles is a great improvement! I hope the new stretches do the trick. PJH- liquid sunshine... nice! dg- stop comparing your running to others! What works for you is best for you! You are so good to go back and read the old posts! Smile All that yoga and pilates must really be making you rock hard! Keep plugging! perchcreek- a well deserved day off from running for you! Tramps- Smile Good to see you back! Sorry to hear work has you hammered. You do what you gotta do though. Nice comeback run today, it's good to hear a run report from you! PDR- your name is on that list of people who had great runs this weekend! Jeanne- it's amazing how many people I've heard have a stomach bug right now. Luckily they have all been short lived, hopefully yours is too! Feel better. Holly- sigh... I feel so bad for the stuff you're dealing with for your house. This is where a good real estate lawyer comes in handy... PeterNC- rain running is nice. Cold rain running isn't. I'm assuming it was warm. Nice job. TomS- Nice run in nice conditions. I find those cool misty runs to be envigorating. Teresa- ack, those are the kind of phonecalls you hate getting! Hope he is ok. Nice run, and yes, if your HM has hills, practice them! But don't overdo, too much hillwork if done too soon is tough on your calves and achillies. My hip adductor was feeling good enough to allow me to run this weekend, and it went well until an old tendon injury in my left foot decided it was time to resurface. This injury kept me from running most of the fall. It's amazing how important it is to be in balance with your muscles so that you aren't favoring one group over another when running, in order to prevent stuff like this. So I'm working on my mindset that Boston isn't gonna happen for me this year. Right now the tendon is pretty "hot" and swollen, even walking is difficult. We'll see what the next few days bring to see if it settles down. Today at acupunture I'll have my acupuncturist change his focus to that tendon. We'll see. In the meantime, it really is a lot of fun reading about everyone elses preparations! Especially for you first time Boston runners, I'd love to get into your heads to feel the excitement you all must be feeling, and to see the looks on your faces as you get to Boston that weekend, to enjoy how that city lives and breathes and embraces running that weekend. It's an amazing experience. Soak it all in! A good Monday to all! Smile