Masters Running

20th Century 100K (with photos!!!!) (Read 366 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Even before I started running a few years ago, the 100K distance intrigued me . I still can't believe it, last Sat I actually didi it! The 20th Century Run was supposed to be a point to point from Easton to Carnation along the Snoqualmie Valley Trail. Due to snow still left from this winter and more recent April snowfalls, they changed the course to a 25 miler westbound then turnaround for last 37 miles. Baby Bear on the trail, sighting 2 days prior to race. Mama Bear... It was a very small race, about 15 of us were at the start at 7am. Tet, was off with a few more with the early start at 5am, so I was counting on catching up to him at some point. My usual concern: getting lost, this time in the streets of Snoqualmie ,or worse in the woods with Mama bear chasing me… I make sure to stay , at least per first few minutes, with the small pack of runners, aware though that there are some very, very fast ones out there leading it. Once we get to the trail it is pretty straight forward. The scenery is breathtaking, the mountains streaked with snow like thin white ribbons running down the sides ,the vegetations so green and thick,and ... all those scary railways bridges hundreds of feet over…bottomless gorges, I just could not look down… I try to keep a slow and steady pace for as long as I can, company helps and I luckily get to run to the first aid station chatting away. After about 3 hours I find Jon and we get to spend a few minutes together while refueling, we’ll still get a chance to cross paths later on with the upcoming turnaround. As I head off towards the higher elevation snow starts to appear on the sides of the path, and I take my time to enjoy the privilege of spending my day off in such beautiful, peaceful place so I stop , I grab a handful of snow wrap it in my bandana and throw it around my neck! I also can't avoid stopping again and standing for a while in front of this little waterfall spraying a refreshing mist in the air right on the side of the trail and why not, I dip my hands resisting the temptation to put my feet in it too, that would not have been a good idea.. At the turnaround the downhill starts, a welcome break that distracts me from the loneliness of the run. One more aid station down the road,with more than 20 miles to go, I find 2 fellow runners heading out at a similar pace….Bingo!!!! We start alternating running and fast walking and a few more miles later we turn into a quartet when we stumble upon a 5am starter, struggling to keep going.We find out he is an 18 yr old whose longest run ever was a 20 miler…….he is in pain , but the aid station a guardian angell supplies him with some magic fuel and after a while he is able to shuffle along with us. As we tackle the last 10 miles, one of my new found friends and I increase the amount of speed walking over running more and more so much that I would estimate ( my Garmin had already died by then) the last 4 looong miles are all fast walking. Getting closer..I think I'm getting shin splints...lower part of right leg is hurting a bit...we keep going...the phone rings…..DH …”Where are you…????I’m here waiting with the kids….!!!” we have a good laugh at that…..husbands…!!! We are counting the yards…..at last we spot the picnic area where the finish line is, on the other side on the river, just one more wobbly, very woobly suspended bridge to cross… And we are done!!!!! 12 hours 37 minutes….100K!!! I'll let Tet elaborate on his footwear challenges.... With the wisdom of the day after, and a painful right ankle and lower leg to prove it, I have to say that all that fast, very fast walking was maybe not the best idea, I could have and should have ,and will in the future, because yes there is definitely a future there, shuffle more those last miles. ...now, just don't tell my DH but I'll have to pick another similar race to put it to the test..! The answer to Tet’s trivia question: The race that basically inspired my running obsession is called “La 100KM del Passatore”. It starts in the centre of Florence,Italy and ends in a smaller town called Faenza , 2 mountain passes and 100KM later. With a 3pm start in the summer heat, it is a brutal race for the 1300 plus who participate every year. This year's winner completed it in 6:37:45 . ..one of these years …who knows…. Thank you all for reading!! Francesca

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

francesca - what a great rr almost like I was there culminating your three ultras in the last six weeks never having done anything more than the local 5K/10K/half fun runs we'd run together every once in a while and the VAncover International Marathon back in 2005. It's a good thing the first race you saw was "only" the 100K Passatore and not a 100 miler (although once you meet arf, all that will probably change too!). In the meantime, <>white river/white river)>>>> here's two more when I you caught up to me at the Garcea Ascent and then on your return down past some of the remaining snow patches. bravissimo/fantasicimo!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

..one of these years …who knows…
        ... If you took a poll around here, I know what the results would be. Congratulations on a fine race and most excellent RR.
          “La 100KM del Passatore”......you will be there someday, my crystal ball says so. Smile Wow. That's about all I can say. Wow. I loved to hear that you got to play with the snow and the waterfall, and had company during the last part of the race. You are amazing. Congratulations!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Francesca Fantastic race, amazing time and great pictures..and of course time with Tet the legend. Congratulations and I hope you make it to Italy to race La 100KM del Passatore Congrats Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

#artbydmcbride

Congratulations! That was amazing! Now ice those awesome legs. Smile

Runners run

huskydon

Wow, that is just totally incredible. The scenary looks gorgeous, but still, 100K is really really far! You are one tuff runner for sure. Congratulations! And, very nice to see you with Jon, too! huskydon
                evanflein

Wonderful RR Francesca! What a beautiful course. And how fun to run/walk/meet up with Tet again! (and there are those funny little thong coasters!) How long before your next one? Ice those legs thoroughly so you'll be ready to go!
                    Congratulations. What a great job and wonderful report. That is an incredible amount of miles to accomplish in a day. Your pictures make it look like you have not run at all. The views of the route are incredible. Thanks for sharing and we look forward to hearing what will be your next challenge. Joey
                    Vista
                    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

CONGRATULATIONS. 12+ hours and you are still up right. WOW!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

arf

MM #405

Congrats Francesca!! Fantastic! I was hoping to be able to come down and run this one and get the chance to meet you but it just didn't work out. Thanks for a great report and beautiful photo's! ...and you know what distance is next on the agenda Big grin Great race! Rest and recover.
                        SteveP

Good gravy!!! Your pictures make the 100K look easy!!! Sweet. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

AMAZING! Shocked
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            coastwalker

The 100K distance intrigues me too... but I could go that long! Congratulations on a marvelous race, a terrific RR, and some wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing the experience of doing something that I could never do on my own. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

You are absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for this, and the beautiful pictures. Spareribs