Masters Running

First day of fall? (Read 41 times)

lamerunner

I think... no run today, usual Monday rest day, but I did get to the Y early and swam 1500.. Normally I go at lunch, but I have a meeting today.

Thanks for the kind words on DD. She could come home, but she would not want to; she has great friends in Colorado and has a part time job.  I really don't think it would be good for her to be rattling around here without enough to do.  She is getting some counseling but probably not regularly enough; we need to keep after her on that.

Happy Monday.

Mariposai

Butterfly hugs to Lamerunner's dear daughter!

What a gorgeous day for the first day of fall. I plan to run this afternoon after work, the weather should be great for running.

Cheers to all,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Slogged through 5 miles on a cool morning with the Saint.  Legs still not back since Saturday's race.  Lotsa work to do today. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, fall doesn't officially start until 10:29 pm tonight EST, so I am holding on the last bit of summer for all I can!  

No run for me today, no workout, nada.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Fall!! Bring it! I'll be so glad to leave these 100 degrees day behind! This week will feel very fall like for us too - we should get some rain this week, temps going down to low 80's. loving it!

I have no idea what has been going on the last few days. Sorry.  I was out of town for a CLE and then just busy yesterday, so haven't had the time to check up on any dailies.

David had a meet out in Coos Bay this past Saturday. He made the varsity team with his sub 19 time and as a freshman, that means he letters in cross country, so he was pretty excited about that. His official time was 18:12, so he smashed his previous PR of 19:01 at last week's meet. Conditions were pretty ideal for a good PR though. It's an out and back course and the weather is almost always ideal. The course is uphill on the way out and then you can fly downhill coming in. His uphill was a 6:15 pace, so he did real well. coming back in he was at a 5:30 pace. He said when he entered Marshfield High School's stadium and you finish up the last 300m on Pre's track, his time was 17:00 so he knew he ran a great race. My dad was there watching and said when he came onto the track, he had a runner on his heels that was closing the gap and when David realized this other runner was about to pass him, he said "no way!" and he had a great finishing kick and left the guy in his dust. David finished 16/152 for the males and was first 9th grader in. His teammate, Shane, won overall and was only 3 secs off a course PR, with a time of 15:58 (which was Shane's first sub 16 race).  Linda Prefontaine was at the race and gave an opening speech and also made mention of all the Hidden Valley runners wearing their "Prefontaine" necklaces.   anyways, enough blabbering on and on from me about my son. Thanks for reading. I'm so proud of him.

eta: a local friend took some pics out there and got this one of David that I love. I know that look in his eyes and he's getting his game face on before the race.

Tammy

TammyinGP

sorry, i'm being a picture hog, but i love this one too!

Tammy

Tammy, David certainly looks like a determined young man in those photos!

When I went out yesterday in the dark and rain at 6AM to get the paper, I was surprised by a sudden gusty, swirling wind that almost turned my umbrella inside out. Then it quieted down as quickly as it had sprung up. It was only later in the day that I discovered that an F1 tornado touched down just a couple miles away from me in another subdivision, ripping a few roofs open, toppling trees, and other fortunately minor property damage. Wow! A bit close for comfort and with no warning whatsoever.

I had another good run this morning, this time 8 hilly miles on a very cool morning -- actually broke out the tights and a warmer shirt for the first time this season. Maybe it isn't the long layoff that helped; maybe it's just that bright shoes are faster (is that why everyone's wearing them these days?). I've been breaking in a new pair of bright red Brooks Adrenaline ASRs and they've apparently added new spring to my step. Either that or it was my (much) younger running companions!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Evan, good job at Equinox.  tomw, you did have an interesting bike ride yesterday.  lame, my thoughts are with your daughter.  mari, way to go on your long bike ride.  Tammy, your son is doing well in XC.  Nice pictures.

Nice long runs for Mike deez, Holly, BTY, and lame.

This morning, it was about 45° and there was a little wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:12 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Hey friends!!

((Lamerunner and DD))  Hope your daughter gets through this rough patch soon

Tammy - hog away!!  Those pictures of your son are fantastic!!

Holly - I'm with you!!  As far as I'm concerned summer doesn't officially end for me until Columbus Day!!

I ran about 8.2 miles with OrangeMat through the streets of Boston this morning.   I stopped my watch at one of the intersections and think I lost about 2 miles of recording based on her watch - our watches weren't entirely in sync since we started at different points and met at Marathon Sports on Boylston St.  She says HI and sorry she just can't keep up here too - she's an admin on FB for the Women who run the world group and that keeps her pretty busy along with relocating from NJ to Boston.

denise

Dave59

For me, summer is Memorial Day to Labor Day, so I've been in fall for a while already.

I ran 5.15 miles this morning. I don't feel ready for cold, dark runs, but I better get used to it because that's all we got now I guess.

Had my annual physical this morning. Everything apparently is good. I don't have to come back until next year, and I am going to do my best to make it that far this time. I've made too many trips to the doctor in the past couple years.  This running stuff is a big help with blood pressure and pulse rate.  104/72, 60.  Not as low as some of you around these parts, especially all you marathon and ultra nuts but it does look good when compared to the general population of 55 year olds.  15 or so years ago during one of my running lulls, my blood pressure was almost high enough to have to get treated.  I had to go to get checked every couple days for a while.

Great pictures Tammy.  I wasn't that fast and I never had blond hair, but someone gave me a picture from high school cross country days and I was almost that thin.

...VERY Determined looking kid Tammy//..........great pics

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner I wish I had something useful to say about your DD's days at college.  All I can offer are my best wishes to you and her.

TammyinGP the pictures are just fine!  Your DS sure does look pretty determined in that first shot!

roachrunner yes, tornadoes make really good reasons to stay inside!  Glad it did not come any closer than it did to you.  I vote for the shoe color.  Fast colors always help people to run faster!  

Dave59 one word:  Florida!

deez4boyz I am beginning to think you somehow live in the general vicinity of everyone on this board.  Sounds like a bit of fun with watches with OrangeMat this morning.

No running for me today, just the elliptical.  I still cannot believe yesterday's slog of a race!  I am still cracking up about how the RD advertised this past Sunday's race as a way to make up for the 20k slog in New Haven on Labor Day.  I tell you we were jinxed the moment the RD sent out that email!  Of course, the forecast is for stunningly good weather through next weekend!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Hey all,

Busy weekend for me and the boys. Patrick and I called 8 soccer matches and I even got one with me as the center and both boys as my AR's. Team C-R was keeping things fair for the high school league. Just meant no long runs but I enjoyed the time with my kids more.

Lame - sorry about DD. Wish I had some words but alas I have none. All the best.

Awesome pics Tammy. That sounds like a great race for the kids.

Got a little more than 7 at lunch. Still keeping a streak but its getting more of a challenge. Oh well if it were easy then everyone would be doing it.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No run for me today, no workout, nada.

good job holly.  me too. have fun in vt

However, nevertheless got to have dinner with a certain italiana dea who ran a 300 mile race last month, another bijin kamisama who just started running three years ago ran 300 miles in the last 16 days after four previous 100 mile races since April, a 43-time IM finisher (26 IMH) and AG winner annually since 1987, three of us who started running marathons, albeit in different states and races, in 1977, and some guy who now takes seven hours to run 26.2 miles. <<<(thatwouldbeme)>>>

if it works, the 300 mile dea is at the lower left and the guy I want to be like too when I’m 83-yo, if not now, is in the upper left but I think he’s far too unique for anyone to be like.  .(Maybe tammy can make me look like david if she posts for me) Smile  where's divechief when I need him?  hope to have posie in an even better one though with francesca and some of the others for the 11/1 Carkeek 12-hour fun run if she can make it.  No wonder I love running so much.

. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Physical therapy again tonight.  The hip is feeling much better.  Still pain on stairs, but walking is fine.   Maybe the AC marathon is a go?  I'll let ya know...