Masters Running

Monday Feb 18 Runs (Read 715 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Starting the thread with a non-running post. Today is x-training day for me: reverse flies, dumbbell curls, bent rows, front raises, and a 13-minute ab/core video. I tried a new lower-body routine today, suggested by TJ at Kickrunner: no weights, 3 sets, with 1 minute in between: 1. Alternating side lunges (20L, 20R), bench step-ups (20L, 20R). 2. Sit-squats (30), ballet squats (30), split squats (20L, 20R). 3. Single leg bridges (30L, 30R), forward lunges (20L, 20R) DS had flu-like symptoms over the weekend, and now DH is in bed with fever, chills, etc. Both had had flu shots. Keeping my fingers crossed that DD and I don’t get it. Enjoy the holiday, you lucky ones that get one today. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Holly and Good Morning all, Rest day for me and happily so since it's pouring rain on top of all the ice and snow with thunderstorms later. I am heading to Atlanta later today and packed shorts (whispering so Mother Nature doesn't hear me). Nice cross training Holly and the routine sounds good. It will be interesting to see if you have less soreness. Here's hoping you don't come down with the flu! It's mid-winter school vacation week here, so the kiddo is still in his PJs---hockey practice later and then every day this week. He has a tournament in Cape Cod on 2/29-3/2, so the coach will be working them hard. Good runs and workouts to all CNYrunner
        Good morning Holly. The weather must be giving people late starts this morning. The snow finally stopped here. I didn't get the full amount, but it has to be close to 10 inches. Got up at 4:30 and drove to the Y (saw 5 cars in the ditch on the way) only to find it not open. Apparently, the front desk person got stuck in the middle of her street trying to come in this morning, and she didn't make it until almost 5:30. Grabbed a treadmill, did a mile warmup at 9:14 and 30 minutes of intervals alternating 8:00 work and 9:31 rest, then hurried home to get ready for work. Listening to the radio on the way, I found out that schools are closed today - woohoo!! Now, do I go back to the Y and finish my workout, or make a pot of coffee and curl up on the sofa with a book? Decisions,decisions,decisions..... Wherever you are today, hope the weather is good and Monday goes well. Jeanne

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for starting us off Holly Smile...hope you avoid the flu, and hope for a speedy recovery for your family!!! and have a good x training day. I have to work today, but hope all enjoy if you have the day off. Enjoy your rest day CNY! Interesting morning Jeanne, at least you got some running in. Soooo was it back to the Y, or coffee and book....I bet the later Big grin Finished up the week yesterday with a nice easy 6.5 miler...was pretty sore and tired from Sat's 16.5, but was a nice morning with the temp at 50 degrees. Officially finished my first week ever over 60 miles and I am thrilled about that. Probably will have a step down week to fully recover before I ramp up again Have a good day and runs or whatever today Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Morning, all! Holly - good Monday morning kickoff - hope you miss the flu! Jeanne - I would opt for the sofa/book if it was me! Tim - congrats on hitting the 60 mile milestone -way to go!! DH and I hauled our butts out to the trail yesterday. It was 19 degrees, but sunny. The trail had been washed out in several places by the flooding we had last week. Footing was challenging. The sun thawed things out, and it was getting pretty muddy by the end of the 15 miles. The icicles/ice sheets on the rock walls were amazing. Jesse and I hiked the Devil's Hopyard Saturday morning - pretty spectacular scenery there as well. Temps in the high 50's this morning, and it felt positively balmy, but I had to drop Jesse off at doggie daycare and couldn't take advantage. It was raining torrentially, so it was probably just as well. If I can "swim" to the gym, I'll do weights/core at noon. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I am working today, unlike many of you in the US probably. I don't even want to think about running as yesterday has thrown me for a pretty good loop. But as my wise DW said "If that's the worse that's ever happened to you, you're lucky". I am going to get myself a check up on the calendar though ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Bill, Your wife is right----this will pass and try not to let his haunt you too much. I DNFed at the Philly marathon in 2006---passed out, stretcher to the med. tent ---whole nine yards. Inconclusive medical results, but I kept rehearsing everything in my head, re-read my running log a zillion times (all this after an incredible summer of training). My husband found a December marathon (Thunder Road in Charlotte) since I was dragging everyone down as Ms. Cranky Pants and I did my best to erase the November woe. I am glad you scheduled a doctor's appointment and I am hopeful it's "nothing" but the residual effects of your prior illness. More than that, I hope you don't rehash the race too much. You are running strong and will make your goals----one step at a time. Still not feeling sorry for you---just trying to say Buck up! Wink CNY
                  Well, at least I made it into work today. Last week was the most days I've missed from work in the 10 years I've been here, and as ill as I've been since my last bout with the flu about 12 years ago. I finally shook my fever late on Saturday (after five days!), just in time to have my DW come down with it. So we were a pretty sorry pair this weekend. So much for this year's flu shot effectiveness. If there's silver lining in there, it's that I've given my leg plenty of extra time to heal instead of being out there testing it, so by the time I get back to exercising later this week things should be OK. But I feel like I should just start from scratch with a C25K program or something. I hope the rest of you stay healthy and keep running!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Roch, I hope you and your DW are feeling better soon. Take it easy. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

btb1490

Happy President's Day! Holly - thanks for getting us going. I hope you don't come down with anything, and that everyone feels better soon! CNY - enjoy Atlanta and the hopefully warmer temps. I was there a week ago, it was nice! Safe travels. And that was some scary marathon experience you had! Jeanne - you are one tough cookie if you end up going back to the gym! Regardless, you are tough for even getting there the first time in the first place. Tim - a step down week is probably a good idea for you this week after your mileage milestone. Sue - welcome to mud season! Too bad you didn't have a camera to get some pictures of those ice covered rocks, I'll bet they looked neat glistening in the sun. Bill - good idea to get a checkup. As CNY said, hopefully it's just that you haven't fully gotten over your sickness. Rochrunner - glad you are on the mend! Day off from running and from work for me, although I've been on the phone most of the AM with work related stuff anyway. I've been trying to run through a sinus infection, and it hasn't worked out too well, today the crap is down into my lungs. I got antibiotics last week, but haven't taken them till this AM, hoping things would clear up on it's own. Woe is me.. Wink Just as well, it's pouring buckets out there today with 30+ mph winds. Maybe later I'll get to some core work. A good day to all! Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

BTB - hey, you won't make it to Boston if you get pneumonia. I'm officially ordering you to take your antibiotics, drink tons of fluids, and REST a bit. Don't make me come down there and take you over my knee. Roch - sorry to hear you and DW got the bad bug,...hope you both are back to feeling good soon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

GreenMan

WTG Biketm on 60+ Rest and walk, maybe an easy swim later quads are coming back albeit slooowwly good day all, jjj
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                            I don't even want to think about running as yesterday has thrown me for a pretty good loop. Bill
                            Bill- I do not think you are injured or ill. You had just finished a high quality week with 3 runs of 12 miles in 6 days last week and your body is still absorbing that training. You may still be a little bit under the weather, but the weather has also been very hot. It was a bad idea to attempt the 1/2M, but you needed to learn that lesson for yourself. It's never a bad idea to get checked out, if you think something is wrong, however... I believe you'll bounce back. Follow your resting/am HR and stay with the plan. ----------------- I'm at work, too.( Hospitals don't close for holidays) Ran 2 days in a row over the weekend and I'm taking an off day. Will aggressively ramp up mileage over the next 2 weeks after my 12 day hiatus from running. /hijack on-Deb, my knee feels pretty good now, thanks for asking hijack off//
                            spacityrunner

Holly: If DH was hanging around he would be all over that knee comment Big grin...where is he? Confused triple J's: that was some race you ran yesterday. Thanks for the great report. What did you mean by "aggressive" treatment of your PF? How was it different that what you were doing prior to the "aggressive" part? Berger byll: what the doc said. Well, it is 67F freaking degrees here today, unbelievable!!!! Cranky foot or not I just had to put on the skort and singlet (my new running ahead singlet which is too big for me now Sad ) and go for a run. Very nice 3ish in 14ish m/m. Just want I wanted to do. I am hoping the foot doesn't bark at me tomorrow, but for my mental health I just had to do it. Sigh. Good runs and good day all!

Trails Rock!

King of PhotoShop

Brinker, did I not jump all over you when you posted your HR was up ten beats? But you think you would listen to me? NOOOOO! But now you see the doc has yelled at you also. You better clean up your act down there or I'm getting on a plane! Off to the dirt track for 4 very slow miles, 2 walking, 2 jogging. Some big news is in the air from the PNW today. Very excited to see the report. Spareribs