Masters Running

Sunday 27th Boomer runs (Read 495 times)

jules2

Up early for a hour round the "pits" every day its gets greener. Ran eight miles to make sure the paths are clear as we are running a 5 and 10k charity race for a local hospital and I'm lead bike. Its called "stroke the mammoth" as theres a life sized replice of a mammoth and we are raising money for the stroke unit so every running has to runup the hill and stroke the mammtoh as they pass by. Just hope we can finish before the rain comes in. Good luck to anyone racing today.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Six miles at 6:00 AM with 2 of the running Js (Spicy J and Dr. J)---Canada J is still in Florida and Iron J is prepping for the 5/4 Providence, RI Marathon. It was a brisk , damp, and partly cloudy 43F, but the run was fun and full of chatter. I had to hold myself back a bit, I felt so strong and speedy. Who knows where it comes from, but I’ll take it. I can talk about running obsessively when I am NOT running and during a group run we talk about everything BUT running. Today’s topics covered local politics, the later start time for high school proposal, Dr. J’s eldest child and his decision to go to the Pratt Institute, and the usual list of all the things we didn’t get to on the domestic front (living off the clean laundry pile at my house because clothes don’t magically go back into the drawers, naming the dust bunnies since they are as large as pets etc.) sigh…. Super racing yesterday Teresa---high five! Check out the fastest race times thread and look at hermosaboy’s new entries…Smokin’! Way to go Roy---20! Can’t wait to hear more Triple J and with photos? Feel better Enke---get as much rest as you can now, you’ve done the miles. You too PDR. Thanks for running for stroke patients Jules. My father had a massive stroke due to an aneurysm when he was just 60 (14 years ago on the evening before the NYC marathon---my only DNS). Terrifying. Where’s Mainerunnah, Tramps, Runningindc and Fussyrunner, and…? Tonight’s chat with Coach will include a review of summer races and pushing the next marathon training cycle into even higher mileage---80 mpw here I come! It’s not the most I have ever done, but close and all my PRs have come with long miles. She sends me an e-mail on Saturdays so I won’t be in shock when we chat the next day. Yikes! Good day to all Karin
        Great running Jules and CNY. Your both up early. I am fueling up for my 24 miler this morning with L in the next 1:30. It's beautiful out there and warm already (this is my biggest fear for my upcoming marathon)....good opportunity to practice. Well I am off, hope I survive. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

<butthead> Heh, heh, he said "stroke the mammoth," heh, heh. <butthead> Well, if the Doc says "shut 'er down" this week, I'm goin' out with a bang. Fifteen yesterday - a flat trail / hilly roads combo platter. Nice.</butthead></butthead>

The Jogger

Morning Gang Good cause Jules, sproinky run Karin, enjoy the 24 ?Tall and PBJ banging before a rest Smile A nice little 3 mile recovery today, now out to plant some spuds. Good Runs All Roy
              It's been a good weekend for the Boomer/Masters so far: Roy goes long for his 1st 20. Way to go Roy! Holly closes on 2 houses and surveys the Erika Hills that await. Hallar tosses out a perfect 8 miler at MP and feeling happy. CNYRunner is only 6 days removed from a smokin' Boston and she's feeling sproinky and talking about 80 miles per week. Eek! Tall is talking about going for your average, every day 24 miles. PBJ is back, and true to form, he tosses out there a nice 15 before the Doc can tell him not to. Today was scheduled as a 12 mile Ladder workout for Groovin' the planned Marathon Pace (8:30ish). The plan was for 3 miles of warm up, then 2 minutes at MP, followed by 2 minutes easy, then 3 minutes MP, 3 minutes easy and so on. Adding a minute a cycle working up to 6 minutes. Then repeating the whole thing from 6 minutes back down to 2 minutes. 3+ miles warm up 9:56, 9:14, 8:54 2 mins. MP 8:26, 2 mins. easy 9:00 3 mins. MP 8:27, 3 mins. easy 9:01 4 mins. MP 8:24, 4 mins easy 9:05 5 mins. MP 8:25, 5 mins easy 8:58 6 mins. MP 8:26, 6 mins. easy 8:57 At this point, I was over half way through the 12 miles and I got a chance to practice my fuzzy marathon math. You know, where you can't add two numbers together to figure out how you're gonna finish? Anyway, it looked like I wasn't going to finish so I decided to take a minute off the easy parts and get it all in. 6 mins. MP 8:24, 5 mins. easy 9:02 5 mins. MP 8:25, 4 mins. easy 9:06 4 mins. MP 8:26, 3 mins. easy 9:00 3 mins. MP 8:29, 2 mins. easy 8:53 2 mins. MP 8:22 1/2 mile Cool down at 8:44. 1 hour 46 mins. overall for 12 miles 8:51. Avg HR 144. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Jules - what a fun idea, and for a great cause. CNY – what will be your next marathon? Tall – hope you have a great 24-miler! PBJ – nice way to go out, but I hope you don’t have to. Keep us posted on what the doc says. Roy – happy planting! Breger – great fun! This is part of your Pfitz plan? Is this one that you programmed into your Garmin? I want to try some of those intervals…I’m sooo bored lately with my long and slow running….. 12 slow and easy miles for me today (ave pace 10:09) in 43 degrees. Other than a still-tender-but-diminishing toe pain, legs feel good, but still taking it easy. Now, it’s taper time…..again…..I’ll try to do it better this time…..more rest, less food…. Smile Why is it that it takes me 2 months to lose 5 lbs, but I can gain that in a 4-day weekend? Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, this isn't Pfitz. This is the Dr. Dale program. You can't program Ladder workouts in the Garmin. But the regular Intervals definitely! On this one, I got a lot of practice looking at the Garmin as I was running and pressing the lap button! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

That is a super workout Bill, similar to a Tinman workout, or what I generally call a "wave run." Very nicely executed, a good strong workout with lots of recovery built in. I knew it couldn't be a Pfitz workout and glad to hear Dale prescribing it. Okay, now you're all set to go. No more posting. You have to rest. Speaking of resting, I chickened out this morning. Cold, windy and rainy here. I'll go out later when the weather changes. Can't believe CNY gets to run with Julius Erving. Speaking of Jules, well done, good cause. Roy, nice recovery. You feeling okay today? Spareribs
                    dg.

CNY, how great that you felt strong & speedy. amazing. funny about the dust bunnies. I told my DH a few days ago that we could pretend we were very high, looking down at the clouds (dog hair bunnies). I'm not sure which cloud type they'd be. I've been wondering about the same people, especially Liz. Bill, that's really cool. Nice, Holly. Craneium, how was the geocaching? Teresa, congratulations! Hi Ribs! Smile Another slacker morning! argh. but Roy says it's ok & he just ran 20 miles so I'm going to listen to him. Sadie & I had a nice long walk... I almost didn't go because I've been playing with a sore throat for about a month & feel crummy, temp was 27F... but it could not have been nicer. Absolutely beautiful & perfect. so yay. then breakfast & some floor washing, is all so far. Since the hilly walk is still a new addition, maybe it was just as well I didn't do the early morning routines anyway. I didn't fit yoga in till late last night, got on to post but was too tired. Yesterday I was busy root wrestling, along with other cleanup (chips were everywhere) from a 50 yr. old ash tree that we lost a few years ago. They took out the stump in December, but left the roots so I'm trying to get them out.. lawn is mowed & it looks much better. speaking of root, go evryday!!!
                        Cold, windy and rainy here.
                        I wonder what your definition of "cold" is. For me it was 5 easy miles in not so cold 52F and drizzle. I saw some other runners and considered turning around to run with them, but it looked to me like they were doing 8's and I didn't want to run that fast. Poor PDR is still having a hard time with this cold. Nevertheless, we spent a good portion of the day yesterday working on her garden. I was in charge of mulching, and she did the hard work which requires having a clue. Workout: 4.1 miles, 8:31/mi, AHR 148 Overall: 5.1 miles, 42:52 Good runs today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

seemomgo

Good morning! Ribs, I too wimped out becausee it was chilly here this morning. 28 degrees wehn I got up to run, so over to the gym I went. Treadmill and elliptical workout. I'm still gazing at all those machines... I know Tuesday is coming for my lesson. Ican hardly wait! I probably won't be able to lift my arms to type on Weds! Seeboygo and Seegirlgo did AWESOME in their competition. I picked them up yesterday and watched the awards ceremonies...lots of gold medals!! They will now get to go compete in the National events in Orlando at the end of June. Hooray! I hope PDR gets over her cold soon! I'll ask again since I didn't see and answer earlier - where is Ilene?? Dust bunnies multiply faster than real bunnies.
                            No run for me today, but I had to pop in and congratulate Roy on yesterday's 20-miler. Way to go!! Another rough night last night with sinus headache, coughing and miserable sore throat. I am so ready to be done with this. We finished weeding and mulching the front garden yesterday - would like to get around to the back today, but it's turned cool and damp. Maybe I'll just lay on the couch. I'm reading Katherine Switzer's "Marathon Woman". It's hard to imagine that women distance runners had such a hard time as recently as the '70's. She did a lot to advance the sport in addition to her infamous '67 Boston Marathon as K.V. Switzer.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

...greetings from The Great Divide,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,dg made me remember how much I miss the rest of you guys,,,, ,it's like we're in Parralel Running Universes with 2-websites.... ======== ......but I digress..... ..an Easy 36-min (4/1) rehabbing the Hip/Hammy/Knee.......(so, ask me how my OTHER leg is doing) ,,,,,,ya never know how much you miss running til you're sidelined,,,,,, ...............good running guys..........off to my 2nd Church......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

The Jogger

Thanks PDR, yes SR feeling good I think it's the easy running, no speedwork and the want to just finish. Thanks Roy