Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 6.17.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great photo of the Ribs men yesterday, fronted by a delicious-looks paella. Everything looks better with good food...

Nice job on Father's Day, Tammy: a great breakfast and home-made ice cream for dessert later on - yummmm! I'm sorry for you that there won't be any summer sleeping in at your house, but you could do worse. Nice run yesterday evening.

Pretty scary Father's Day dinner, Holly, but I'm glad DD was OK, and that DH got to be the hero.

Funny comments, Mike, but I'll bet DS is a great dad to both twins.

Congrats to DS's teams for their great job at the competitions, and to you for your AG hardware at the MTM, PBJ! Real bummer about the flights, etc. It is bad enough when an airline cancels your flight, but it becomes all kinds of ugly things when they lie about the reason. Since when did it become OK for businesses to lie to their customers? Great lesson for our kids, eh? Are they just following in the steps of politicians? OK - this mini-rant is over.

Aamos, you'll do great at Grandma's, no matter what pace you choose. A local runner from here is trying to use Grandma's as his Olympic Trials qualifier. Should be an interesting race.

Good for you for your commitment to run uninjured this summer, Twocat, and for being willing to take some extra time off to ensure that happens. I wish I was that smart...  I agree with your sentiments about flying; it's not nearly as much fun or even as pleasant as it used to be.

Always a treat to hear from LaT!

Happy Anniversary, Steve! Good luck with that poem. I'm not even going to ask about the underwear. Also - 4+ miles with a push mower?? THAT'S a workout!

I'm glad DS had fun and set records at what sounds like a great festival, Starr! Picking the right location seems like it helped a lot. Those rains sound nasty, so I'm glad you were safely in the basement. Be careful of those killer croutons!

Good for you too for taking a cut-back month, Mariposai. Although I don't know that 8 miles of walking, including 6 up Kemel grade really constitutes all that much of a cut-back.

Great Portugal Day race photo, Irishguy!

I'm glad nothing hurts, Evanflein - keep up the good foot work!

5.5 RW miles at JJ o'clock. It took me a while to get into it 'cause I was feeling a bit stiff and achy - happens often after a day off. Then I met my friend Steve and we walked and talked for about a mile. After I left him, I finally got into gear and did a decent job the rest of the way. Tonight is my first in a series of racewalking clinics in my hometown (my other sessions are in Portsmouth, about 15 miles away, and are on weekend mornings). I wonder if anyone'll show up?

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

SteveP -  I hope you share your anniversary poem with us.

PBJ - Going through Chicago on the smaller flights is always a roll of the dice.  I ended up spending the night in Chicago on my last trip through there.  They did put me up in a hotel and gave me some tiny meal voucher.

Well, that's all I remember from reading yesterday's daily.....

I met up with a group that runs Tuesday mornings (at 5 am).  6 men, 1 woman (who was just back from Spain at some type of World Championship of some running and biking thing) and me.  I haven't worked out like that since high school cross country back in the late 70's.  I had the best butt kicking of my life.  We ran a couple miles to a park where there is an "overlook hill".  They did 5 times up one side of the hill (medium steep), 5 loops around a longer and gentler slope, a "recovery loop", and 5 times up a steeper side of the hill.  And then run back of course.  I did 3, 4, 3 times up the hills because it was my first time, I am a wimp, and I needed time to catch my breath.

About six and a half total miles.  I am still alive and I may try it again next week.

Steve P. - Happy Anniversary!

Dave- Glad you survived the butt kicking

Holly- Scary stuff on FD. Glad everyone came out ok.

Jay- As always thanks for the start.

I've been battling knee and calf issues, hardly running at all, lots of days off and when I have run my calf has been tight or downright painful so I've stopped. Been receiving ARt treatments. Last night it wasn't painful so chiropractor recommended running a mile, walking then running another mile. 2 miles pain free running today. The event I look forward to all year is Saturday, I guess I will see what happens between now and then.

Steve P.- Side note, I've created a superhero character for the school I teach at, may have to unveil for you.

..mornin' guys//...........can't wait to see Cranium's Secret Identity......

============

...36mprnb

deo

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

Nice race, Irishguy.

Happy anniversary to SteveP and his lovely bride.

Ribs, I would love the paella recipe. I have one that is my family's recipe and I always am happy to find other good paella recipes to make.

Erika, good to hear about the food behaving.

LA Tortuga, how is little Walter?

No time to running this morning, just 15' core. I will run a few miles with our meet up group tonight.

Off to indian country I go to teach teenagers how to dress and look for a job .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Morning, folks!  I hope you guys don't mind if I come in here and talk about how excited I am about my first 50 miler coming up on Saturday!  My DH and DD are tired of hearing about it, and want to know if I can talk about anything else...    The race website says it was a big snow year in the Bighorns, but the snow has melted enough that they are using the regular course.  But we should expect mud.   The forecast looks like lows in the 40s and highs at the finish in the 80s, but most of the run is at high altitude and will be cool.  Only the last 5 or 6 miles is at lower elevation where it might be hot.   Did I mention I'm excited???

So any words of advice?   Or do most of you think I'm crazy, too?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Wildchild - if you weren't excited, it would be strange!  Of course come here, we're all cheering you on.  Be happy it's not in Boston as it would be HOT!

short hot run this morning (1/10 of your distance) in the HHH.

happy runs all and (((aching body parts)))!

marj

King of PhotoShop

Irishguy, many people who are unfamiliar with NYC don't know how hilly Central Park is.  I learned my lesson at the NYC Marathon one year. Man, that is one hilly place.  Good job on your race.

Sorry about that horrible trip PBJ, but nice run anyway.

Now here is a weird thing.  To the best of my knowledge I have no allergy to latex. Considering all my hospital stays that's a good thing.  But yesterday I had my teeth cleaned and as you know, the hygienist has latex gloves on and is constantly rubbing the gloves against your mouth.  Shortly after I got home, my lips were swollen and itchy and stayed that way all night.  Are they making the gloves out of something new?  What do you think happened?  Puzzles me.

5 miles at the park this morning and the final 3 at under ten minutes a mile. Ran a 9:17 final mile and had 51:21, or 10:17 pace for the whole run.  That's my fastest 5 miler yet.  I am so encouraged.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Ribs, my guess would be that that latex is probably made in China.

Nice hardware Irishguy! I have never been to Central Park and would not guess it to be hilly either.

Happy Anniversary to SteveP and his wife. I'm sure your poetry and your way with romantic words just thrill her to no end.

Even though I may (jokingly) complain about having to get up before the birds even start chirping so my son can go running, I hope you all know I wouldn't have it any other way. In 4 yrs when he's off to college, I'll be wishing for these days. And I'd rather have him up and making the most of his summer, than sleeping in til noon and just vegging with some electronic gizmo.

Carolyn, your family is tired of hearing you talk about your first 50 miler?!! Well, talk away! I live vicariously through you so want to hear it all!!

Tammy

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

We made it back to PBJ central at 1:30 this morning.  36 hours of trains, planes and automobiles is over.

No run today, because I need to get home right after work for the celebratory dinner.  It will be a combination celebration for PBJster #1 (dean's list at USC), PBJster #2 (Future Problem Solvers International competition hardware), PBJ Jr. (high brown belt in tae kwon do), father's day, and 25th anniversary (today - just like Steve P - congrats Steve!).  Hard to believe that Long-Suffering has put up with me that long.  I certainly wouldn't be able to do that.

Marathon Maniac #957

Off to indian country I go to teach teenagers how to dress and look for a job .

No saggy britches!  And turn your cellphone off during the interview!

Wildchild - I am excited for you, too!   I know you will rock it.

7 miles for me this morning in 75 degrees.

The city came and spray-painted some of the sidewalk squares in front of our home that were cracked.  We have to replace them, at our own cost, or the city will hire it done and then charge us.  DH hired a contractor from the list, and it will cost us nearly $1500, just for a few squares.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I've got some catching up to do since my last post on Friday.  fatozzig, it sounds like you had some great family time.  SubDood, good racing for you and especially exciting for your son's first race with 1st place.  Loved the pictures.  C-R, great racing with your son, you with 1st in AG, son 1st in AG, 4th and 5th for your "team" and win in the father/son competition.  mari, nice racing while battling being sick and congrats to your husband with 1st AG and 5th OA in his race.  steve, great family camping.  Jay, kudos for your 2nd OA in your 10K.  ribs, nice father's day picture with your sons.  Holly, it sounds like a scary dinner that turned out well.  I'm glad your daughter is fine.  PBJ, that's quite a flying (or not) adventure.  I'm glad you're finally home.  steve, happy anniversary.  irish, nice 5K race.  wild, keep talking about your upcoming 50 miler.

Nice long runs for enke and deez.

Friday evening, I was feeling somewhat tolerable so got up early Saturday and ate some breakfast.  It became quickly obvious that I wasn't going to run a race that morning.  A couple hours later, I did walk to the start line to see the runners off for the half, 5K, and 10k then walked back to my sister's.  We had a nice visit with my sister and brother in law and saw my mother several times.  I sort of moped around but did manage a nice supper at one of my favorite restaurants and got in a 2 mile walk with my sister.  Sunday morning, we drove to my son's where we celebrated father's day with him, my daughter, daughter in law, grandson, and my son's sister in law and family and my son's in laws.  I ate too much barbequed ribs for my recovering from diarrhea body but enjoyed the day.  Monday, I moped around again as we babysat our grandson.  Back at home this morning, I felt extremely weak but not too bad other than that.  My first inclination was to just be a vegetable all day but I dragged my butt out the door for 4 miles at an 11:16 pace.  It was about 70° and a bit humid.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

I have no idea what's going on here . . . .

Tselbs - A sick body is never fun, and you deserve moping time.  Nice running by that mopey, recovering body.

Carolyn - I'm very excited for you!!  Just run your own race and don't get caught up in the excitement and adrenaline rush.  I'm assuming you can have drop bags?  At Mt. Hood I made a list for each drop bag on an 8x11 piece of paper in a plastic sleeve so I didn't have to think about what I wanted to do that AS.  "Leave headlamp and garbage" - Check.  "Reapply Body Glide if necessary" - Check.  "Restock salt pills" - Check.  "Change Socks, if necessary" - Check.  It really helped toward the end when my brain was kind of fuzzy.

Ribs - I'd say latex allergy.  Maybe having it come into contact with your saliva glands made it more pronounced.  In any case, I'd let the dental office know to make a note in your chart to use non-latex gloves next time.

Saturday I did 23 miles and it took me 5.5 hrs.  I had quite a bit of climbing in there, so toward the end, my legs were just tired.  Not bonky, just tired. I walked quite a bit of the last two miles to the car.  I did have fun running the long downhill section, though!  Sunday's 10 went better than I anticipated, so I'm chalking it up to good recovery eating.

One thing about Saturday is I just got tired of being out there.  Kind of went to a weird head space.  I know it's just that I'm at the tail-end of this training cycle, but I asked Coach to spread this upcoming weekend's running over 3 days.  I think it will help the mental fatigue of being gone for hours on end.

Yesterday was 45+ min of core/ST, and then I had a really great run this a.m. with 3 tempo miles in the middle.  They were way faster ("way" being relative) than I expected and am pretty pleased with myself, if you don't mind me saying so.

My dad FINALLY got his vehicle back yesterday and spent his last night at our house.  Don't get me wrong - I love him to the moon and back. but my dad has tinnitus, so his hearing isn't' good.  That means when the TV's on it's basically blaring.  And he doesn't think about it, so when a commercial comes on and he's trying to talk to you, you have to yell at him to turn it down.  And just in generally, we have to talk louder so he can hear us.  It actually got very exhausting toward the end.  I'm research tinnitus to see if there's any advancements that have been made re hearing aids helping.  It not, I fear he will end up the way of my FIL who basically can't hear squat anymore

Off to check the other dailies to catch up ~~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

irishguy funny how everyone from out of the NYC area thinks the place is flat.  Murray Hill does not have the word hill attached to it for nothing!  Congratulations on the race.

evanflein nothing hurts is always good!  Best of luck on your 10k on Saturday night.  Night?  From a prior post of yours I took it "night" was from about 12am to 2am these days!  What time is this race taking place at?

SteveP look how healthy you are and I bet your lawn looks great too!

coastwalker good to see you are doing recaps again!  Now the rest of us can go back to slacking off on doing them ourselves!  I hope you get some customers for your race walking clinic.

Dave59 wimp?  Sounds brutal to me!  Sounds like a workout devised by group from the local NCAA track team!

Craneium I hope you stay pain free.  What is Saturday's event?

tomwhite I have no idea how to decipher your posts.  But I take it the 36 is minutes and the lack of biking incidents seems like a good sign, so good job whatever it was you did!

Mariposai so how did teaching teenagers how to dress for a job go?  If it went well, you should write a book I bet a few million parents would buy a copy!

wildchild you really need to get psyched for that race!  I mean come on, 50 miles is a long way.  If you are not mentally looking forward to it . . . I mean it could be a looong way.  

mrrun normally 1/10 of somebody's distance would not be that far but in this case . . .

Spareribs congratulations on the new post operation PR!

TammyinGP when DS goes off to college what I bet you miss most is a positive balance in your savings account!  

PBJ wow busy set of celebrations!  Congratulations to your offspring on their various accomplishments.

Holly S. what a drag getting hit with a repair bill like that!  I never understood why sidewalks are a homeowner's personal responsibility but yet public property.

tselbs there is never anything as too much when it comes to barbecued ribs!

fatozzig my DW's aunt is nearly deaf.  But, in her aunt's case a hearing aid might fix the problem and she will not get one.  I did not realize tinnitus means hearing aids are ineffective.  That seems like a pretty intractable problem.  For the TV though you might get him a pair of wireless headphones.  He can then turn up the volume as much as he likes and not blast the rest of the house.

I am still on my no running routine.  Just some work in the gym.  Then it was off to the office for the day where I am spending my time watching computer code run.  Yawn.  At least the results look good!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/