Masters Running

Mon 1/19 Daily - Good Day To Be Alive! (Read 479 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning... Hope this week brings healing to a lot of people who are sick and injured Smile Hey kewl, I just logged my first 3 miles of 2009 on my training log Cool Guess I will now take the Twocat approach and start off running a mile or so, to come back slowly to avoid injuring myself again. My foot feels good this morning, and will run a mile or mile and 1/2 after work tonight, then I am going to cross train on my off days not running. But have to respectfully disagree with Twocat that I am starting all over like a coach potato. A couch potato would have been breathing hard and would have had a hard time running 3 miles like I did, and I was not out of breath the whole time, and my ave HR was a fairly low 128 ave. Holly didn't think I could run that slow for me, but my 3 miles Sat was in 33:11 - 11:04 ave pace, and she told me GOOD JOB. jdmom3 and Holly, would you please give me some instructions and advice on the run walk method, you have both mentioned to me...I am interested in any thing that may help more, thanks. Thanks Jlynne, but I thought 3 miles at 11 minute pace was taking it easy... and yes I AM an addicted runner Hope everyone has a wonderful day...you all RockSmile TomBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim, Tim, Tim. You are TRULY an addicted runner. You don't know how to GRADUALLY get back into a routine, do you? Running 3 miles (plus 2 miles walking before/after) is not exactly easing back into things, friend - especially after the injuries you've had. You have lots of time! You're young! We don't want to see you reinjure yourself. Now promise you'll take it easy when you work out tonight, okay?Smile Intervals for me today. Same routine - a mile warm-up, 30 minutes of intervals with rest speed set at 6.2, but this time I put my work speed at 7.2 (8:14 mile I think, right?). Two minutes of each, with a mile cool-down and then some ab work. A good running pace for me is 9:31, so running 8:14 is a challenge, but I'm getting used to the faster speeds, at least for a few minutes. Great playoff games yesterday, especially the Arizona - Philly game. It's nice that Kurt Warner will play in one more super bowl. Let's hear it for old people! Have a great day, everyone.
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm highly conflicted about the Cardinals going to the Super Bowl, especially since they laid down and died against the Pats, who deserved to go a lot more. Larry Fitzgerald is a truly amazing receiver and Kurt is a pretty good QB. his off the field stuff gets a little tedious. I'm sure there were guys on the other side prayed just as hard to win. Why can't God just be able to watch a good game and root for both sides? Evil grinWink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Easy 5.3 miles @ 8:44. Jammed my ankle a bit yesterday running sort of fast downhill on a dirt road with frozen ruts covered by leaves. Nothing terrible but I may have to scale back tomorrow's tempo run; we'll see. Have a good week. ETA: Just took a look at hermosaboy's training log. Shocked

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Good Morning All and Happy Monday ! Our YWCA pool re-opened this morning !!!!! Went for a swim..........However, if I ever have the choice of a 10 mile run in 6 deg temps or a 35 min swim in a 71 deg pool.........I'll take the run ! The YW called me last night and warned me that the pool temp may not quite be up to standards yet for the morning lap swimmers. I went this morning prepared to hit the weights if the pool was still closed. I was informed that the temp was 71......technically the pool was still closed but I was welcome to swim if I wanted. 71 deg is freakin COLD !!!! It wasn't bad at first but I could not generate enough body heat. One reason being is that I lost so much swim fitness over the last 2 months I could barely swim 100 yards. I lasted 35 mins......maybe swam 1100 yards. Even after a very long hot shower my teeth still chattered all the way home. All in all, a very disappointing swim. I knew I was going to lose some of my swim fitness but never expected so much ! If you ever doubted the specificity rule re: training this is proof.
              Tim - good to hear you are running again. I really have no idea about how slowly you should ramp up, but I'd suggest running no more than a mile or mile and a half at a stretch for the first week at least with walking to supplement. Remember how you tend to overdo it, and try to fight that impulse. Tramps - hope it really is nothing serious 71° is cold? I know nothing about swimming. Disappointed about the Ravens loss For me, 3.1 miles, 29:23, 9:22/mi, AHR 131

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim – I’m pretty sure I e-mailed you the schedule that Dg sent to me (that Perch sent to her) that had a schedule of run-walk method returning to running from injury, but I’ll be happy to do it again. The schedule says it’s for stress fractures, but it’s a good framework for any injured runner returning to running. I used it, somewhat loosely, for about the first 4 weeks after I started running again. JDMom – didn’t you post the link to that recently too? Slo_Hand - yup - that's pretty darn COLD! It’s likely that hitting the lower body weights hard on running-recovery-day is not exactly recovery, so I did the tough ones (weighted squats and dead lifts) yesterday after my LR instead of today and did mostly core and upper-body exercises this morning. As I increase my mileage in anticipation of a spring marathon, I want to be sure of getting some recovery, but don’t want to slack on my strength training, and so will probably spread my lower-body exercises out and do them on the evenings after my tougher running workouts. Today’s workout: 2 recovery miles on the TM (10:31), followed by shoulder presses, lateral raises, dumbbell curls, hammer curls, triceps extensions, superman lifts, butt blasters, push-ups and stability ball crunches, with a couple of stability ball side planks thrown in. (thanks dg) I have to tell you, those stability ball crunches sure seem to work my core extremely well. If I poke a finger into my stomach while doing them, you know, deep into my belly fat, I can really feel the rock-hard layer of muscle underneath.... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

71° is cold? I know nothing about swimming That makes two of us ! Big grin

Renee the dog

Tim, Slow start = strong finish, esp. when coming back from injury. Run 1 mile. See how you feel in the next 24 hrs. If no problems, you have evidence you can do 1 mile without aggravating your healing. Plateau there. Then progress. Don't *&%^$$ this up now! You've been so patient. You are worrying me, and I'm not a worrier. Undecided Me, waiting for the sidewalks to clear so I can run my recovery. We had snow! But it should melt by the afternoon...

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

It hasn't been worth posting TM workouts, but that's about all that can be done around here running-wise these days. We haven't had snow like this in about 10-20 years! On the other hand, this are the best X-C skiing conditions we've had in a decade or more. My DW and I were out for a couple of hours yesterday, and I'm going out again with a friend this afternoon to try some more challenging trails. You can get a decent upper-body workout this way too, and it's actually a nice break from running at this time of year. Good running to everyone else, especially if you live where it's possible right now. (By the way, what happened to the forum software? The font they're using now is barely readable on my screen. Were they taken over by Active or something?)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. I'm sure you still have a big base inside. Those nueromuscular changes don't go away quickly. That's also why it is easy to overdo it during recovery. I did 10min walk, 5 min run, 5 min walk, 6 min run for one day. Then a few days later (walked 2 ran 8)x3 then (w2r10)x3 then (w2r12)x3 then 15 min run 2 min walk 15 min run then 20 min run 2 min walk 10 min run then 5K race (but slow) All this over 3 weeks. Ran 4.2 miles recovery and added 2 x 10 sec all out burst up a hill with 3 min rest to build strength... but the hill wasn't steep enough. I know which hill to try next time. Got this from the new issue of Running Times.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy MLK day! Remember to hold Donna and Tom in your thoughts today - she's having her surgery today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

good morning! Tim, what Nono said. Hi Doug! It's good to hear from you! How are your hamstrings? My neighbor went X-C skiing yesterday too. It sounds like a great workout. A xtraining day for me. I did part of the Injured Runner dvd this morning, then had a massage so I didn't have time to finish. Will finish it later, along with a few other things. Adding Ribs™ exercises that are really good. Donna & Tom... I hope everything is going well. Happy Monday.
                            Slo

Hermosaboy Awesome Marathon !!!!! If I've followed correctly you hit your goal too !
                              Mariposai

Donna and Tom... my prayers and love are coming your way today. Good luck on that surgery today. Easy does it Tiim, we want you running in Seattle come June. Sorry I have not been able to catch up with reading around here. Off to San Diego and Mexico for a conference. I am looking forward to running in the hot sun for the next week. 3 recovery miles plus core was a great way to recover from my 13 wave miles of yesterday. Holly, I am with you...I am convinced that underneath all the layers of fat I have one gorgeous ab.Wink...just have to get rid of the layers first. {{wisdom for Twocats}}} and his decision about the urologist. Great intervals w/o jlynne...way to go sistah

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard