Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 1.10.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Stumpy, I always check the weather when I get up, before dressing and heading out. Sometimes, you do need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows!

Our cat was doing the knee-curl last night when I got up to go to the bathroom. When I got back, just like "Cecilia," the cat had all but taken my place. She did NOT want to be rearranged, but we did that anyway to make a little room for me.

6.3 RW miles this morning in blustery 18F temps under a clear sky lit by a bright moon - nice. Now I'm rushing to get to breakfast at our favorite dive with DW, after which I'll head up to this morning's racewalking training session.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, Jay, and everybody else!

It is 7 below out, right now...it's supposed to warm up to 3 below by race time.  I'm just wondering...why couldn't I just run 3.1 miles on my treadmill, record my time--I could even take a picture of the screen showing the distance and time--take it to the race officials and ask them to just enter my time in the results...why couldn't I do that?  Seriously...I'm getting too old for this.  I need to move someplace warm!

Okay--I'm going to stop my whining and get ready to the actual race...I still think my treadmill idea is better.  See ya!

Oh--good luck to everybody else racing, today, too!

Good morning Jay and Mike and all to follow. Yep, -4 here too Mike. Today was the first training run for the Cellcom (3 miles for the halfers and 5 for the full) I opted to run the track at the Y because I just didn't feel like bundling up. The sun is out and it's a beautiful winter morning, just damn cold! Anyway, 6 miles on the track with 20 minutes of core work. Now DH and I are headed to the local indoor farmer's market to drink coffee and see what the vendors have to sell today.

Good luck with your race Mike.

Enjoy your training session Jay.

I'll pass on the bug flavored potato chips Tet.

No cats to keep me awake at night - just a snoring DH

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Slo

Mike E...You're a Minnesotan for Pete's Sake!

Not that I have much room to talk. I did my first run of the week this morning avoiding the sub zero temps.

Road conditions pretty much suck, this mornings temp was -8 but no wind. I survived but failed to select the right hand protection. Fingers were so numb I couldn't untie my shoes.

We lost power 10 mins after I got up...Had just enough time that the brew cycle completed on the coffee pot before we dropped power. A mini van took out two utility poles before coming to a rest on the door stoop of a house. The power was still off when I left for the Dog Food plant. Temp in the house had already dropped to 59.

Our dog wasn't quite sure how to act this morning in a house that was pitch black.

Ok everybody...here's todays ear worm...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvgzNEPhYQA

...mornin guys........

BRAGGING RIGHTS-

........Claire told her mommy she was going to watch ''Willie Wonka'' with me

when she got here,

she had had her mommy load it into her Kindle so ''just GranDaddy and me could watch it,,,and Mimi if whe wants to''

does it get any better??

I think not

===============

..oh yeah,

40-min poolrun, no belt, deep end only

............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi all!

Got in my first MMTD run of the season. 8F when I started, 12 when I finished 12.5 trail miles. Needed the screw shoes...... while we still have very little snow there was plenty of ice.

Will be taking  DH out for dinner tonite.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Tramps

Jay--I always think it's cool when you do these training sessions.  Pass it on.

Mike--I'm calling dibs on that franchise idea: Treadmill Races™  Hope your race went well.

Slo--bummer on the power loss.  Hope it's back on soon.  Keep those pipes warm.

Heme--I'm impressed with your perseverance in cold and ice.

I waited until lunch to run when temps were in the mid-20s. Gorgeous sunny day and not too much wind for my EZ 5-miler.

Go Pats!

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Slo--why did you do that?  I remember when the Partridge Family first came on TV...I thought they were a real band...and thought I was really stupid for never hearing of them.  I don't think I've ever told that to anybody before...wow...I feel so much better.

Way to go, GranDaddy, tomwhite!  That is really cool, actually.

The race...what a joke.  This thing is organized and run completely by the High School Student Council.  So, every year, there is a new group of kids running the show...and every year there is a new problem.  This year...well, first of all, as everybody was making their way to the starting line (the starting line that nobody really knows where it is), the girl with the starting gun yells out, "Is everybody ready?"  BANG!  And we're off!  There were people still coming out of the school building.  Anyway...I was lucky enough to have been in place and took off.  I had our top high school runner out with me and he passed me in the 1st mile...but I fought like crazy to stay on his heels.  Towards the end of the second mile, he was about to make a right turn, when one of the course directors yelled at him to continue straight...I followed.  He, of course, pulled away from me in the final mile but we handily beat the rest of the field...me in a time of 17:47...what?  17:47!  I checked my Garmin...sure enough...it read 2.87 miles.  We cut off part of the course back where we were told to go straight.  Then--at the awards ceremony, they announced that, because they had some timing issues, they were not going to post results or hand out awards.  They did a nice little raffle drawing and sent everybody on their way...kind of looking dazed and confused.  It's really too bad.  They really get a nice turn out for a race at this time of year, but every year, they lose people.  One of these days, I might be the only one to show up.

So...I did some calculating...and, if I did my math right...2.87 miles in 17:47 is a 6:12 pace.  A 5k done at a 6:12 pace comes to 19:16.  With all things considered...the temperature...the slippery roads...I'll take that.

Okay--I'd better get something else done today, or I'll be in big trouble!  See ya!

Slo

Slo--why did you do that?  I remember when the Partridge Family first came on TV...I thought they were a real band...and thought I was really stupid for never hearing of them.  I don't think I've ever told that to anybody before...wow...I feel so much better. 

For what ever reason that song was running thru my head. I wasn't going to be the only person stuck with an ear worm. C'mon get Happy!

Are we making Partridge Family confessions? I had a huge crush on Susan Dey. That crush was later replaced by Jodie Foster (both older than me...but hey, so is my DW) It was on the Partridge Family when Jodie first caught my eye. I only recently learned that she "plays for the other team". Bummer...still cute today though.

I do two local races that are organzied by a High School team, kids themselves. Both are ok but far from organized. Thankfully not nearly as bad as yours. I've done them enough to know what to expect and since I like what the money is being raised for I keep going.

Just add some Bay City Rollers Slo   S-A-T-U-R....Oh never mind!  Ear worms galore! And too funny about the crushes. No David Cassidy crush for me.

Hi Jay! Nice training and sharing too. Very cool.

That is absolutely the best TW! Enjoy and Claire just rocks.

MMTD for me this morning. Waited until 9 am until it was over 0º and ran 13.5 with Iron J----snow and ice and all that, but bright and endless blue sky and the sun did her best. We chattered away----all the current events---so scary and sad, the post-holiday break "jet-lag", our boys heading back to college in a few days and all of a sudden the run was done. hurray.

I watched a live stream of world xc races from Edinburgh Scotland....beautiful! The 4k race was won for the second year in a row by American Garrett Heath. They made it look easy.

Inspired by Aamos, I made these: http://altonbrown.com/seedy-date-bars-recipe/   Yummy! (and yes, I actually made something in the kitchen that required ingredients and real baking) Every now and then....

Nice racing MikeE, even if race details weren't perfect---good to show support.

Hey there Jlynne, Tramps, Heme!

King of PhotoShop

Today was a zero for me, not in degrees but in running.

After yesterday's 7 miler I got a headache and scratchy throat and was scared to death I was coming down with something. I leave Monday to work all week in Grand Rapids, Michigan and I sure can't afford to get sick.  So I slept til 7:20 this morning and to my delight I woke up feeling super!

Our lake club race was today too, a 5K and a 15K. I was going to do the 5K just to get some speed in, but zero it is.  31 miles for the week. Oh well.   Spareribs

The only way I do MMTD is on a treadmill!  But today was close.  It averaged 19 during my run and I ran 16.  This winter stuff is for the birds!  Birds that can fly south, where is that plane ticket . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite -

Mike - I think you are awesome even to show up for a race when it's that cold.  Did you run it shirtless? 

DD had a basketball game at noon in a town about 30 minutes away, in the school that was my high school, but is now a middle school.  I realized I had not been there in more than 30 years, and it was very a strange feeling to walk in...

Now she and I are heading over to help with our concession stand duty obligation for the high school games.  Apparently the middle schoolers work the HS concessions and the high schoolers work the middle school concessions.  At any rate, I expect it will be fun.

5 easy paced miles for me this morning on the TM watching Narrow Margin.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I've mostly been running on the plowed dirt roads around my neighborhood, and while I'm grateful to have such a good place to run, with good footing, very little traffic, and views of the divide to boot, I miss my trails in the winter.  So today I ventured out for a trail run in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.  It was almost 40 degrees, and I thought about wearing shorts, but glad I didn't because there was lots of knee deep snow!   It took almost 3 hours to go 10.5 miles. And I use the term "run" loosely.  Still, nice to be out in the woods on such a pretty day.

Mike, speedy racing!  Too bad about the badly managed race, though.

Nice trail run, Heme, and nice long runs for Karin and Twocat!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The race...what a joke.  This thing is organized and run completely by the High School Student Council.  So, every year, there is a new group of kids running the show...and every year there is a new problem.  This year...well, first of all, as everybody was making their way to the starting line (the starting line that nobody really knows where it is), the girl with the starting gun yells out, "Is everybody ready?"  BANG!  And we're off!  There were people still coming out of the school building.  Anyway...I was lucky enough to have been in place and took off.  I had our top high school runner out with me and he passed me in the 1st mile...but I fought like crazy to stay on his heels.  Towards the end of the second mile, he was about to make a right turn, when one of the course directors yelled at him to continue straight...I followed.  He, of course, pulled away from me in the final mile but we handily beat the rest of the field...me in a time of 17:47...what?  17:47!  I checked my Garmin...sure enough...it read 2.87 miles.  We cut off part of the course back where we were told to go straight.  Then--at the awards ceremony, they announced that, because they had some timing issues, they were not going to post results or hand out awards.  They did a nice little raffle drawing and sent everybody on their way...kind of looking dazed and confused.  It's really too bad.  They really get a nice turn out for a race at this time of year, but every year, they lose people.  One of these days, I might be the only one to show up.

Writing below-zero race reports without a mention of the weather, I'm with Holly that Minnesotan MikeE’ll soon be running shirtless, maybe sometime up with the northern goddess.  Pretty clever though how they figured out so many distractions to take your mind off the weather.
                                It took two local seafood delicacies, a seaweed salad and fresh green tea but I successfully fought off the urge to repeat yesterday's coffee pancakes again this morning.  However, I'm still starting to look like a sumo wrestler.

ps good job tom. I'm still glowing from my first phone conversation solely with 5-yo GS last month without anyone else intervening to aid  him in understanding me, telling him what to say, or me understanding  what he said too.   I think I have a new friend.  Him too. yippee!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)