Masters Running

Derrill's Race 5k Easthampton, MA---I scooted under 21 minutes! (Read 256 times)

5th Annual Derrill’s Race Easthampton, MA ---Sunday May 4, 10 AM Manhan Rail Trail (paved bike path) The race is held in memory of Sargeant Derrill Stoddard (died of leukemia) and all the proceeds go to the Cam Neely Foundation for Cancer Care. Race details: This was road racing weekend or something in my area with six 5ks, the Seven Sisters Trail race, and the Walter Childs Holyoke marathon all this weekend. Too bad it was dreary and rainy (44F,sprinkles and drizzles), but that’s spring in New England. Everything is donated for Derrill’s Race, so the proceeds go directly to the charitable cause---something I appreciate as a fundraiser myself. Cam Neely was a Boston Bruin, so many of my son’s hockey coaches run and I always try and beat them. Smile Bear in mind that the 5k is not usually a great racing distance for me, but it’s a good way to get a good workout. The race is held on the Manhan rail trail and is flat----halfway out there’s a screaming hairpin turn and then you head back to the finish/start area at the Easthampton police station where Derrill’s mother greets the finishers. There is also a one mile kid’s race before the 5k. The overall winner was a woman---a 24 year-old from Boston who ran a 17:06. It was great fun to cheer for her on the turn-around. She was second overall last year. She smoked the field. I ran to the race from my house as a warm-up---it’s four miles and served to warm me up nicely as it was a rainy and raw day. I ran more miles this week than I had originally planned, but since I am just messing around and felt good, I went with it. I have three days of travel in the coming week anyway. My strategy such as it was included not getting boxed in and trying to put as much pedal to the metal as possible. Last year I won my age group with a 22:27 (40-49) and was fourth female overall. While this was not a target race, I still wanted to go under 22 minutes. CNYrunner Results: 1/48 in the 40-49 age group 15/357 overall 20:58 finish time! I lined up closer to the front and when the air horn sounded, I tried to get up on my toes a bit and took off. I hit the first mile in 6:46, mile 2 was a 13:22 and when I saw that 20 was still on the finish clock , I did my best to hit it. Yippee! I also beat my son’s coaches….tee hee. I caught the last one (who is also a local police officer) in the final stretch and he yelled that he was going to issue a ticket. I yelled back: "Catch me first!" I was feeling some mojo I guess. Tongue I looped back after the finish to cheer for one of my running J pals---Dr. J who was running with her youngest—10 year-old twins. The super running twin ran a 23:14 and the other twin came in at 27:40 with his mother. Cool! We hung out for a bit for the award ceremony. There was a DJ and kid’s activities and a complete carnival atmosphere. The winner of the 50/50 raffle donated her winnings back to the cause as well. A good morning indeed. Now it’s time to get into cheering mode for the kiddo’s baseball game---a double-header.
      Nice work. Way to go on winning the AG!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

You sandbagger! You didn't surprise me with a sub-21. More fiveK's this summer and let's see a sub-20. You know you're my goddess. Very nice win for you and congrats. Spareribs
          Pretty speedy for a non-target race! Smile A master's PR by chance? Congrats on a fine race Karin!
          HermosaBoy

Sandbagger indeed!!! Wonderful race -- congratulations.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on 1st in AG, and especially for beating the coach! Well done.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Wow.... so you seemed to have no problem coming back from Boston with a smokin' 5k... Way to go! You sure have lots of races to choose from in your area. I'm jealous of that line up! Nice racing Karin, always fun to beat someone like the coach.
                  Great job! I bet not many people in the field had a 4 mile warmup run before the 3.1! Crazy girl. Well....nice job on getting your PR in the 5K....and now I have some incentive to beat you in my next race! mmph.....bested by a girl in my age groupl.... Black eye
                  Personal Records 5K - 21:35
                  arf

MM #405

Hey Speedy Gonzalas...GREAT race! Congrats on the AG win!! Big grin your fan, arf
                      congrats on the win and just another day at the office for you. You are a force. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Great race, CNY. Way to put your Boston training to good use. Maybe some day I'll get a chance to chase you and finally run a fast 5K. Wink Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Way to scoot to get your First AG hardware missy. Congrats dahhhling...in my next life I wanna scoot to racing times like you have. Tongue

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow wow wow! That's wonderful! The best part was beating your son's coaches! Have fun celebrating!
                              Congratulations on a great run CNY! Super a woman won!!!! I was going to run this one today but DD wanted to run later so we ran the Hatfield Smart Run. I ran Derrills last year and had a great time. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

woooohoooo Karin - you are one fast lady!! congrats!!

denise