Masters Running

NipMuck Marathon - Very Tough (Read 185 times)

TomD

This one warns you that it is a high risk course. Many fall, hurt themselves, and get lost. I did plenty of all three. Many places on the course it is either difficult or impossible to run. It is a very rocky trail run. It is about 27 miles with two out and backs. The first part is 12 miles (6 miles out and 6 miles back) and the second is 15 miles (7.5 miles out and 7.5 miles back). You are warned that the first part is easier. You need to take it easy, because the second part is much tougher. One needs to save themselves. Donna and I drove from late Friday morning until mid afternoon on Saturday for 29 hours and 1380 miles. I ran the next morning. It was nice out all the way. We did have some slow going through the mountains at night. We spent Saturday night with our friends from Germany, Edwin and Monika Roth. NipMuck Marathon was her 50th state. She became the first European woman to complete all 50 states. Edwin completed all 50 states at Marathon-to-Marathon (Iowa) in 2003. I was there for it too. The 8:00 am start turned into nearly a 8:30am start. This was the 25 running of NipMuck with 270 runners. The largest group before was 180 runners. This is a marathon only. This course the same going out as it is coming back totally. It makes for some difficult running for about 24+ miles, which is on a narrow trail. The marking of the course is a pernament blue mark, which over the years has faded and is difficult to see much of the time. This is the main reason for so many runners get lost. Donna has Roses for Monika at the finish. There are 26 red roses, one black, and 2 yellow. These are the color of the German Flag. Donna is to hand her the roses as she crosses the finish line. I am running in a pair of running shorts with the colors of the German Flag too. This Monika notices right away. My goal is to run near Monika and Edwin for the first half and go to the front in the second half, which Monika intends to walk quite a bit. I keep up with them until the first aid station at mile 4. They stop for water and I keep going, since I am carrying a water bottle. I make the turn at 1:02 with Monika about 2 minutes behind me. At the 1:30 mark I twist my ankle, but unlike the earlier times this one really hurts. Twenty minutes later with my ankle still hurting I fall for the 4th time and hardest fall. Some runners stop to ask how I am and one helped me up. My ankle really hurts and my right shoe feels tight. I do not dare take it off. Monika is out of sight and I will be doing a lot of walking for the next 3 hours. At the end of the first part I am at 2:43. I was hoping for 2:15. Donna is cheering me as if I was in first place. She yells out "I love that Man!" and I respond with "I love that woman!" As I start to enter the trail to the second half I yell back "Boy am I lucky." Donna says, "You look as good from behind as you do in front." About a mile into this part I see a runner walking back to the finish. He tells me he is dropping out. There are many who drop or do not make the cutoffs. At least two of my friends did not make the cutoffs. There were 4others who made to final cutoff by 15 minutes or less. With about 10 miles left I start feeling better and my ankle pain is better. I start running more and more. Then with half a mile to the turn around I see Monika and Edwin. Monika says she has been walking the last three miles. Edwin adds that she is feeling better and will be running again now. I feel good, so I have hope to get to the finish line before them. I want to be there as she crosses the finish line. I get to the turn around at 5:04 (2:21) and I now try to go as fast as my legs will let me and of course the trail will let me too. I pass a couple of runners in the first mile back. Nearly the entire time back on the final leg I am by myself. I do see runners behind going the opposite direction, but none going my direction. Two miles into into the final leg I feel really good. Almost as if I was fresh, but I still have my ankle othering me to let me know that I have been running. I turn the wrong way here and get lost for the third time. Then in another 2 miles on the course I make a wrong turn on the little bit of paved roads of the course. With two miles to go I have to stop to figure out which way to go. I chose the correct one this time. I am still hoping to catch up with Monika, but I do not see them of anyone else ahead of me. I finally start hearing voices, then I see a clearing. It is the finish line. Then there is Donna cheering me in as if I was first overall. Edwin and Monika greet me right away and thank me for the flowers. I tell Monika, "These flowers not only for you to remember this moment and your accomplishment, but also Donna and mine's friendship to you and Edwin." We have been friends for 9 years. Donna and I spend the rest of the day with Edwin and Monika. We then go out to a nice resturant to eat. It was never more difficult to say good-bye. Knowing they will not be back until 2010. Maybe Donna and I can make it to Germany some time next year. My finishing time was 7:22 with getting loss 4 times (adding 3-4 miles), many stops to figure out where to go, and 5 falls. I did not know it until afterwards, but I got a few small cuts on my wound from the Olathe Marathon on my leg even though it was wrapped up. This report is late mostly because of our 30 hour drive back home and going back to work right away. On our first day back it was Donna's birthday. Next is Swan Lake Marathon near Viborg, South Dakota, on June 8th. I had my best time and best marathon here last year. I ran a 4:07. It was on July 1st last year, so it should be cooler this year. It sure was a hot one last year. TomD

#artbydmcbride

Another tough marathon completed! I love hearing about you and Donna's appreciation for each other, it makes me smile! Smile I hope cool weather meets you at the next one!

Runners run

Very interesting blow-by-blow read. You would think they could remark the trail to make it easier to find. Nothing like adding a few miles to a course that is already a bit longer than a marathon. Congratulations on your finishing it and to your friend who joined the 50 state marathon club.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Ultrachick

Congratulations on finishing. My SO and I ran it as well and didn't have nearly the tough time you did. Congrats on the 50 state accomplishment as well. Here's the link to my RR on a different thread http://runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/568b4fe2fce64221a9dc31675bf4cdd3/1 It's in 2 parts with some pictures as well. i think it's a great race-I ran it last year as well and succeeded in beating my time. Take care of that ankle and good luck at your next marathon. Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Nice run and report, TomD! You are one tough guy, taking so many falls and turning that ankle so early in the race. I hope you are feeling better now and will be able to run a good one at Swan Lake. Congratulations to your friend Monika on her 50 states milestone. Sounds like you and Donna had a great time! Thanks for taking the time to post your RR, it was a good read! John
            arf

MM #405

Congrats Tom! Big grin Yes, I have heard of this marathon and how tough it is and was interested to hear your, (the man of steel), thoughts on it. Excellent time for this course considering the extra miles, the falls and the injury...you are amazing! (I get lost on courses that are seemingly well marked so I'm sure if I ran this one, i'd still be out there somewhere Roll eyes Please tell Donna I said Happy Birthday and I miss her. Congrats to Monika on being the first 50 stater for European Women!! Wow! I think Edwin and Monika are very lucky to know you 2. Good luck in SD!
              SteveP

Ya know, that just sounds like fun. What you and Donna shouted to each other is way kewl. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

That sure was a tough trail marathon, Tom. You had it all, falls, injured ankle, and getting lost. But, in true TomD tradition, you got it done. Congrats to your German friends, especially Monika on her 50 states. You sure put in some serious driving miles, too. Happy birthday to Donna. TomS
                    WTG on another tough race, Tom. Take care of that ankle. It was so nice that you could share the special moment with your German friends. Good luck in the next one; I hope it's cool.