Masters Running

RR -- Chaska Veterans 5k (Read 202 times)

HermosaBoy

OK, I know I said I wasn't going to run this one. Then, I looked at my new training schedule and coach put either a time trial or 5k for yesterday. Sorry, would rather run a race than a TT. So, I convinced Brian to join me and we headed to the race. This is the first running of this event, but they did have the route posted -- YIKES -- it's going to be a wee bit hilly. HermosaDog (Rosie) and I headed out for a little 2 mile shakeout run around 6 and the good news was, the weather was just about perfect. Brian arrived at 7 and we hit the road. Got to the race, picked up our packets and decided to run the course as a warm-up to see how bad the hills were going to be -- Yup, that bad. The Bud Break two weeks ago was hilly, but at least you got to roll. For this one, mile one is mainly downhill and then it's pretty much all climb. Another thing we noted, the 2 mile marker was about 0.4 late. Get back to the HermosaMobile to change into flats. Brian and I talk strategy. We want to get out hard and see where we are at (hope to be in 2nd or 3rd). After the first mile, time to start moving. Survery the other participants at the starting line. There's a youngster that we ran against a few weeks ago. He will get out hard, but probably fail. Then there is a guy who looks like he is heading to a costume party -- dressed as Pre! He has the full look going -- hair, sideburns, mustache and the full nike Pre gear on. We wonder about him until we see him putting on headphones -- those aren't running headphones... So, the horn sounds and the youngster takes off. I get out ahead of Brain (that's rare) and he laughs about it. As we settle in, we are in 2nd and 3rd -- right where we want to be. The youngster is 20 yards or so ahead, but he is not running the tangents. Sidebar, does anyone else really wonder why people want to run longer than the race distance but not cutting every corner they possibly can (while staying on the course)? But I digress... All splits are according to Garmin(s) except the overall time. Big grin So, this continues throug the first mile. Youngster hits it in 5:11 (according to him after the race). Brian hits it in 5:17 and me in 5:22. I look back to see if we have anyone else looking to play -- nope, not today! Now the climbing begins... I cover the gap between Brian and me and we run together. We tell each other to just gradually close the gap on the leader and then pass him around 2 miles. Great strategy, except he is slowing! So, we are right on him as we get to 1.5. Brian looks like he is going to settle in. Me? Nah, run his legs out from under him!!! So, I surge and off we go -- and of course Brian comes with me. Well, now it's just me and Brian. I hit mile 2 in 5:52 for me and 5:51 for Brian. Not sure how I passed him while running a slower mile when he was ahead at 1 mile. Wow, time travel! Confused I know this won't be a PR, but would like to run well. We keep pushing and as we continue to climb, I open up 10 or 15 yards on Brian. Just trying to turn them over as we FINALLY crest the last of the hills -- PHEW!!! As we make a turn, I look back to see Brian about 20 yards behind. I dial the pace back a bit to let him catch up -- BIG MISTAKE!!! Mile 3 comes in 6:01 for me and 6:00 for Brian -- still not sure how I am ahead? But not for long... Why did I let a former college 800 runner catch up to me at the end of a 5k? He turns it on and it's all I can do to stay within a few seconds of him. Official results: Brian 1st OA and in 1st AG with 17:46 Hermosaboy 2nd OA and 1st in AG with 17:48 3rd OA was the youngster in 18:35 PRE was 4th in 21:12 Note to self -- next time I gotta run Brian's legs right out from under him so he won't have a kick! Wink Thanks for reading. Photobucket

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

That was another great race, hermosa. Congrats to you and Brian on your well executed races. I like the way you smoked the "youngster" and Pre. TomS
        Great racing hermosaboy, especially when you weren't planning on running this initially. Way to show the youngsters how it's done and with style. Thanks for the report. I always take notes and remember to shut up and run now, er, or is it run or die?! Both will work I am sure. Congrats! CNyrunner/Karin
          "OK, I know I said I wasn't going to run this one. Then, I looked at my new training schedule and coach put either a time trial or 5k for yesterday. Sorry, would rather run a race than a TT." Boy, can I ever relate to this one. Do you remember a couple years ago when I cautioned you about racing too much? Yesterday made it 12 straight weekends for me. I think my coach has given up on me. Time trials...what a waste of a good race Big grin Don't fight the feelin' Nice race!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Nice race! I loved the head to head action. Congrats to all!
            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
            also on Twitter
            SteveP

Thanks for the RR on a very strong race!

SteveP

Nice race, Hermosa!
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                coastwalker

Hi Hermosaboy, Greta job of sizing up the competition, and great racing. How nice of you to let stick with Brian when it seems there were a couple of places you could have taken off - I guess friendship is thicker than competition (not to mix metaphors...). I sure agree with you about hitting the tangents! I figure I need all the help I can get, and keeping the course as short as possible can be a big help. Congrats on your impressive race, and your awards for 2 OA and 1 AG! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great job Hermosa - but we wouldn't expect any less from you! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Your reports always leave me breathless. What a course! Fantastic, and nice letting Brian win. Wink
                      Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

2nd OA and 1st in AG - well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hermosaboy! I am going to start calling you racinggod.....Hot stuff! Nice racing there. CNYrunner/Karin
                            I love to read about the speed, Great report, thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down