Masters Running

The Quest for the Perfect Bread, thanks Tammy (Read 399 times)

King of PhotoShop

I have a few days in a row at home, flying out tomorrow, but while I'm here I decided I would experiment around to make a perfect loaf of "Italian" bread, the kind I bought in New York way back when. You may recall this bread. It had a firm, chewy crust and inside the crumb was lacy, full of holes and very light. There is nothing like this bread. You can't buy it in a store and I go nuts when I find it. So I started with "Beard on Bread" and although the loaf was okay, the crumb was too dense. It tasted like sandwich bread inside. Then I experimented again with more risings, taking the butter out of the dough, and got a much better result. Meanwhile I had posted here I was doing this and Tammy reprinted her artisan bread recipe. I did some research on this and learned that the recipe came from Jim Lahey who owns the Sullivan St. Bakery in New York. Chef Lahey suggests that this bread can be made with just 3 ingredients: 3 cups of flour, just 1/4 tsp of yeast and 1.5 tsps of salt, that's it. And you don't have to knead the bread. Of course the dough works for over 12 hours, in my case 20 hours total, but oh my what bread! I took it out of the oven an hour ago and ate a small slice with a bit of butter. Then I ate another one. And if I don't find something to distract me, I will eat another, and another... Here is the youtube video, featuring Chef Lahey showing a NY Times reporter how to make the bread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU This video has been viewed by a jillion people and the recipe has become very popular. Tammy, you deserve a round of applause for bringing it to this forum. Spareribs
      Geez Spareribs. I sure will be glad when you can run again. Clowning around
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Head Procrastinator

. There is nothing like this bread. You can't buy it in a store and I go nuts when I find it. Spareribs
        Sure you can buy it in a store, you just have to be in NY Big grin
        ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
          ...making me homesick for bread from the Columbus Bakery in the Italian section of Syracuse, NY. The bakery is/was a little place, run by first generation Italian--Americans. The aroma pulled you in for miles and devouring a loaf just as it emerged from the oven--- and barely paid for---- was the norm....Phenomenal. I can imagine it now and will have to see if the bakery is still there the next time I am in the 'Cuse. Yes, even in Upstate NY, you can find that perfect combination. I'll also share all this with Mr. CNYrunner since he's the cook in the family and is always looking to make the perfect bread. ....but like Jim said.....get running! I am all sad and hungry now. CNYrunner

King of PhotoShop

Hey! That Jim guy better be careful what he asks for! Once I get healthy again I'm going to demolish all those numbers at the end of his post. (Well, in my dreams anyway.) Spareribs
            TammyinGP

Thanks Ribs! I'm glad it turned out for you and I'm sure the next loaf will be even better. I'm also going to try it by mixing in some herbs. That would make a great dipping bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I have to try this Saturday. My husband has a garlic dipping oil that he loves, and this sounds like the perfect bread for it. The recipe sounds like it might even be "Holly-proof." Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

it's the easiest bread recipe you'll ever try Holly. I'm not a bread maker by any means. I wish I had the knack for it, but I simply don't. Since you aren't handling this bread, or kneading it, it's pretty tough to screw up. All you need is lots of time because the rising process takes so long.

Tammy

I just watched the video. I'm hooked and I haven't even tried it yet! Thanks!!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I did it! Made the bread, and it turned out beautifully - looks like something out of a magazine, and excellent with our garlic dipping oil. Thanks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wish I had read this before I started my French Bread today...
                        TammyinGP

Tim, according to Ribs, you can make a loaf of bread almost everyday . I'm glad you liked it Holly! Isn't it just about the easiest thing in the world to make? I haven't made any bread in a few wks, but I think this upcoming weekend, I need to experiment around with a few variations.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

I need to experiment around with a few variations.
                            Same here. Variations I'm doing when I get home: 1) Add herbs to the dough, e.g., fresh rosemary, oregano, etc. 2) Brush eggwhite on the top, add lots of sea salt (did the salt already, it needs it) 3) Bake it the whole way on a pizza stone that is preheated, skipping the dutch oven, but if you do that you have to have a pan of boiling water in the oven for the steam. 2/3 of the total baking time must be in an atmosphere of 70% humidity, so that experiment is next. Let me know what variations you do. Spareribs
                            mustang sally

Bad faerie

It's outstanding. And it's simple. My 12-y-o produced a batch last week, needing help only with the "dump-it-in-the-hot-pot" part. We ate the whole thing in a sitting. Some rosemary and oregano would go very well with this - and I'm with Ribs: some kosher salt on top would be very nice.
                              TammyinGP

yes, sprinkling some salt on top would be good. I have a bag of kosher flake salt from Penzey's that would be good on top. I also want to try the rosemary/oregano. Or maybe 1/2 wheat flour. Perhaps some wheat flour will make me feel less guilty about eating so much of this bread. or maybe not . . . . Confused

Tammy