Masters Running

40s On the Run - Goals . . . (Wk of 06/01/08) (Read 654 times)

"Goals.There's not telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There's no telling what you can do when you believe in them. There's no telling what will happen when you act upon them." Jim Rohn Hey All - Thought it might be time to refresh ourselves with regard to some goals we may have for the next couple of months, be they running or otherwise. Mine: 1. Be more vocal with the Hub re his health - not nagging, but letting him know I'm very concerned 2. Stay on top of my piles at work 3. Stay on top of my piles at home Wink 4. Work more at uppper body and core strength training 5. Prep for 07/12/08 SOB 50k We had a bit of a health scare this past week with Hub. Spent 6 hours in the ER on Wednesday, not sure if he was having a heart attack or not. Tuesday he goes in for a stress test, then an appointment with a cardiologist. He's only 47. Blush . . . yeah. Kelly - How'd your run go, girl?!?

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

8.5 miles, 62 degrees, soft but not muddy road, 0.20 in rain last nite. Roadkill seemed to be the order of the day as I saw 4 toads, 1 large, 3 small, all flat, 1 snake, garter 2.5 feet belly up, 1 Jackrabbit, 3 days dead well smushed, 1 kangaroo rat, fresh. Macy, the neighbors yellow lab was asleep on her masters hot tub lid and I snuck by downwind without waking her. I didn't really know how far to go, was thinking 6 but once I got warmed up it was going pretty easy. The edge of town is about 7.5 depending on the exact route but felt good at that point so ran a mile in town on asphalt streets. The easiest 8 miler to date and the quickest recovery to date, worked the rest of the day. Lynda is still recovering but BB was the longest she had ever run, she did a 3.5 miler today she described as sucky. Lynda wants to do a 5k in North Platte (basically her hometown) 3rd week of June during Nebraskaland Days but I am wanting to save my best effort for a July 4 race in our town. I may run the NP race as her pacer. Leslie thats scary stuff. Hopefully its nothing but maybe its enough to get some lifestyle changes (if needed). Hope that doesn't sound preachy, cause I sure don't mean it to be just kinda talking from personal experience, us guys don't always don't take care of ourselves the way we should. A farmer friend of mine and I both have had a near death experience in the last 5 years. Suddenly getting that last field worked isn't as important as it was and both of us will make time for our workout sessions. Hoping your DH gets a good report this week. Joe you are my hero, ticking off them 40 mile weeks. Dangling another carrot in front of you, remember all those mountain pics I have posted, well they all are within 40 miles of Boulder in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and that is Rocky Mountain National Park. Oh and mile 5 was all downhill so I had to run faster to keep from going arse over teakettle and falling down Smile. Looking forward to a race report from Kelly!! Cindy sounds like you are recovering nicely. Mind if we use some of your BB pics? Lynda took a few pics but I didn't do very good taking pics, too awestruck with the whole experience. Did you check out your brightroom.com race pics, you guys pics are pretty good, Lynda's isn't bad http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=32474&ID=51288143&FROM=photos&BIB=MD43, mine are all sucky. She told me to please note that she (MD bib) finished ahead of the skinny chick with the HC bib. Big grin Big grin Arla hope the heat has moderated and you are back out there. Carol, very busy I assume, so howdy and as they say 'round here don't work too hard. Jewels hope you survived graduation ok and its not too humid to run. Erv glad u stopped in, come by more often. Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Nah, Jim, you don't sound preachy. It's what I've been preaching for a few years now, myself. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it's scared him bad enough to finally do something about his health. We'll see. Great pics of Lynda coming through the finish line! Big grin

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Hey! What'r we doing up so late?!? Clowning around I for one KNOW my dogs' alarm clock is set for 5:20am! Roll eyes Leslie - prayers & hugs for your camp! hope all goes well w/the stress tests & whatnots.....(I'll ponder them goal thingies when my brains aren't mush - as they pretty much are just now!) R2: yer welcome to any of those pics (I hijacked a few myself! Wink ) & I don't like mine so much either...Doug only likes one of his - & not the one I like.....I think it's that reverse narcissistic thing..... I haven't done a "long run" yet...was supposed to (I think) this am...BUT Doug went with & he's not up to 8 yet so, had a slow Confused 5 miler on the canal @ 7am then had a fund-raiser MC ride that took most of the rest of the day...lots of fun, but now I tired!!!!!!! Nite!
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Maybe it's just me, but people bugging me about doing something different can have the opposite effect on me, even if it's not nagging per se. Maybe you can get him out on some walks with you, do something fun together? Cook a healthy meal together? I dunno.... hopefully the doc will whap him upside his head and you won't have to. Maybe a good scare can be a good thing, borderline high blood pressure is what got me into this, I know the same/similar is true for a lot of us. r2 - Just for you, some fun menu ideas Big grin http://www.road-kill-cafe.com/roadkill.html yummy... Cindy - congratulations on getting some of your freedom back - guess this means you can go back to spoiling your gd? Evil grin It can't decide if it wants to be summer or not here, but I'm getting acclimated as well as getting used to taking in more water, did some hill repeats (my first since high school) this week with temps in the mid-80s, it felt fine considering that - GADS - it had been almost 30 years. OK, goals - good idea to think about that, and put it out there so everyone can keep you honest: 1) stick to 35 - 40 mi weeks, 3 weeks out of every 4 2) start eating "cleaner" in prep for marathon training - no more "treat days" that turn into a major blowout food and beerfest Blush 3) do hill repeats every other week, and a tempo run every other week 4) don't let work get to me so much Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning 40's Folks! Cool Yup! The "Jasmine alarm" went off promptly @ 5:20am.....derned doggies do like consistency don't they!? As for the Goal list....hmmmm, as I'm 'signed up' for some things, I guess they should be on the list + my "honey-do" list has been sadly neglected.... June 1 - Oct 20th (day after marathon) 1. Complete Marathon training schedule 2. Meet TNT fundraising goals (min. $2,000) 3. Get on top of my "piles" @ home (I like that one Leslie) 4. Get on top of my yard work!! 5. Take care of my Nat'l Re-cert...(need schedule updated + 16 hr classtime) 6. Lose 10lbs Now, off to work on 3 & 4 whilst I have DH home for a coupla "vacation" days.... Cindy PS: Jim - do you have this link? http://www.slackpacker.com/map_co.html
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Morning, All - Got my five miles in, but had to cancel the hill sprints. Hub used his brand new smoker all day yesterday smoking a pork butt. Had a few friends over and ate really good. Unfortunately, the closer I got to home this morning, the more the pork butt was knockin' on the door. Big grin Will be riding my "new" bike tomorrow, if I think the rear can hang with a skinny seat. (You guys love it when I share all this info, don'tcha??) Arla - Re the Hub - I've kept my mouth shut for a long time now and have tried the passive support, I guess you could call it: Making healthy meals, trying to turn him toward healthy treats, etc. Unfortunately, he's the type of person who has to have the wholly crap scared out of him before he's willing to change, and then it's a crap shoot as to whether or not he'll stick with it. Very much a seesaw affair, and very irritating for me. In the end, it's up to him. I'm just hoping the doc is carrying a very big stick when he whacks him up side the head! Cool Have a good week, everyone!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks- Is a goal a goal if your goal is not to have any? Just kidding, here's a few - 1>Maintain 35-40 mpw and perhaps run a full marathon in the fall. 2>Find a way to get kid #3 through college. 3>Eat better lunches. Ok,that didn't hurt much.. Leslie- Good Luck with your DH. My BIL just had a "scare" that way too. Had chest pains, ended up having bypass sugery, now he's ok. Unfortunately with alot of men (myself included) going to doctors is for wimps. Waiting to hear from Kelly.Should have been good weather, although warm, for her race. Jim- Nice pic of DW. Good long run for you too. Keep it up with those "carrots" and you might just see me out there next spring! Cool Arla- good job with the hills.I too have been trying to use them more. Not alot of big hills around here but enough. Also getting used to the 80* temps and not feeling swell about it. Cindy- funny about those dogs. Smart aren't they? Buddy tails me like a shadow when I'm thinking of running, even with no outward signs from me. I tell him to stop trying to read my mind because there's nothing in there! I have been very fortunate when it comes to blisters and running (knocking on wood). But sometime during my Fri run my little ankle sock (damn fashion.bring back the old socks that went up to the knees) fell down and now I have a good blister on the back of my heel. I can however, use a good excuse for rest though after moving and stacking 3 cords of firewood this weekend along with mowing the lawn and sanding the boat for painting. Tongue Guess I'm not Superman after all .......

Kelly - I hope you don't mind that I hijacked your post from the Trail Running forum: Quick reply because I have to get ready to go to work. I kicked butt at the Nipmuck Trail Marathon in CT Sunday! Last year's time was 5:05-this year 4:52:02! 5th place for the women! I don't know how many there were and 54th place overall- there were 250 registered but haven't seen any results to know how many finished. I'll post a better race report soon w/pictures. She did an awesome job!!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Hmmm Goals uh had to think about that a little. Run goals 1) knock 25 seconds off my 5k pr to get it sub 25 min hopefully at the hometown race on July 4. 2) get to 25 mpw by end of summer 3) lose 10 pounds by the end of summer also 4) cut back on the diet Dew (yes I am an addict of the stuff) It would be nice to find the key to unlock my hip issues as its almost always the limiting factor. I have learned to manage it.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Morning folks...... Will think about some doable goals and post this afternoon. Hope everyone is having a great week so far! Hope all works out well for your hub Leslie. Dang Kelly, you smoked those trails. What a pace! Gotta get to work....later all. Jewels
                        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

FYI Good article back page this months Running Times on trail running, mentions the three P words. Wink Shameless plug for Jonathans mag, he gave me marching orders yesterday for my next 5k so good to go training wise. Showers again last nite waiting for it to dry off a bit before heading to the field. Wheat looks too good to get as my dad says. Gee thanks Arla for the menu ideas, Wink Wink could get a Foxworthy line out of it, You might be a redneck if you have ever field dressed road kill. I know people that have cleaned pheasants they hit, never done it personally though. The critters must have been busy though Sat nite, never seen that much roadkill on one run. Cindy hadn't seen that url, I go to rmnpforums.com quite abit for rmnp info. Joe ya ought to check out that site also, nice rockies pics. Leslie hope dear hub gets a good report today. Joe a dreadfull Colorado pic for ya, sorry if I posted this before

Farmer Jim - What a beautiful picture! That's where I want to be right now as it's drizzling outside. Not raining, just that sticky drizzle that makes you feel weirdly damp. Jewels - Been wondering where you were, girlfriend. So there I am this morning, cruising along on my "new" bike, marveling at the fact that although I haven't been on one in years I haven't fallen off yet, singin' along with Blondie: "Call Me!" when POOFSHT! Front tire went flat. 20 minutes into my ride, about 3 miles from home. Crap! Luckily I wasn't far from the health club owned by the attorney I work for on the side, and I limped over there and called the hub - who wasn't too pleased to be awakened an hour before he needed to get up. Blush Lessons? (1) When the brake is rubbing, don't keep riding. Figure out what the problem is (I think it made the tire too hot, and I figured out the problem while waiting for my ride). (2) Learn how to blow up a bike tire. (3) Get a thinga-ma-jiggy to fit over the nozel on the bike so a gas station pump can be used. (((sigh))) And I was doing so good for those 20 minutes! Needless to say, didn't get a whole heck of a lot of cardio in today.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Wow Jim , that's incredibly beautiful! Imagine running out there,getting nice and hot,then jumping in that lake!Whoa,I bet it's about 49* too !! Shocked Thanks for showing us that one! And thanks for the cool link. Leslie- you can cheaply obtain your own small pump that attaches to the bike.You simply carry a patch kit and/or spare tube,and away you go! Nice job diversifying your workouts. Hi Jewels ,good to see ya.Thought you were hibernating from the heat!! Hi to everyone else who's around..... Took a mental health day (gotta use em or lose em) today and got off a good trail run. Having to bring gallons of water and stashing them to soak the running partner down with this heat. Cool Nice coming home tho to our little bitty pool and cooling down with a splash!!

Still plugging in a few runs here and there. Nothing spectacular but I've come too far and worked too hard to sit my ars back down on the couch. And if I wasn't busy enough, I registered for 2 classes this summer. Mon, Tues, Wed and Thur mornings from 8-930 and then straight to work from there. Then Mon and Wed evenings 6-8:45. WHAT was I thinking? Anyway.....here goes a couple of goals (These aren't promises right?) 1. Get in 60 miles for June and 60 in for July. 2. Get my long run up to 12 by the end of July. 3. If # 2 gets accomplished, sign up in July for a HM this Fall. Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee