Masters Running

Thursday summer in October day (Read 29 times)

Good morning friends!!

Up and out for an early (not quite Jay O'clock early) run with my local Sole Sisters Running Group - such a fun group of women!! Ran 4.2 beautiful miles in mild 55 degree weather - supposed to warm back up to 70's here today. Crazy weather - it was 29 when I left for work the other day! Last run on American soil for me as I leave for Dublin tomorrow evening. Looking forward to the marathon on Monday - not going to be quite as strong as I had originally hoped because of the fall, but hoping to be respectable.

No shout-outs as I need to read back and catch up (again)!!

Wishing you all a day filled with beauty and love!!

denise

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for getting us started so nicely, Deeze. Have a great trip to Ireland and a terrific marathon on Monday.

To answer a few questions from a couple of days ago:

Twocat, regarding the reasons that race registrations are down - After we talked about this issue in the Relay van, Milktruck sent me a good article from a local newspaper in Maine: http://www.pressherald.com/2015/09/27/splashier-contests-luring-runners-out-of-local-races-organizers-say/

Moebo, a "paperbag" workout is a term coined by Mustang Sally (I believe) a year or two ago to describe a workout that was slow enough, sluggish enough, unrewarding enough, etc. that one felt that they should have had a paper bag over their head so no one would see them.

We went to the Planning Board meeting last evening to present 3 zoning warrant articles for next year's Town meeting on behalf of the Conservation Commission. The PB agreed to move them all ahead, with one minor change. The next step is to hold 2 public hearings on the articles before they are officially approved for the Town Meeting ballot.

Today is the first of 2 packet pick-up days for Saturday's 5K, and we'll also start assembling all the pieces (cones, signs, flags, etc.) for tomorrow's and Saturday morning's course set up. So far the weather looks good for race day, with partly cloudy skies and temps expected to be in the low 40s at race time.

5.6 very easy walking (not racewalking) miles this morning in (similar to Deeze) 52F temps and light fog that played games with my headlamp. I caught a skunk in the light of the lamp - fortunately, it was already ambling away.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Nice starts by Deez & Jay - have  good marathon deez and good races Jay - good article

4th day of not running while I give my hip a rest; however, biking on all days.  today we have a class and it's our turn to bring food - i'd normally drive, but instead we're divvying up the stuff and hope it gets there in good condition...

supposed to be 70 for one day - woo hoo!

marj

,,,Question for Jay//

.........is Race Walking more Efficient

than Power Walking??..........>>when you keep your back heel down longer to get a more even push-off and less bobbing up and down motion

I can't do the step required for Race Walking yet, 'cause I can't cross the ''mid-line'' for another 30-days

but

am planning to give it a try

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Have a fabulous trip deez; you deserve it!  when do you come home?

I need me o' of dem paperbags.  really slow this am, and it was cool, 70s, and I didn't run last night......or not slow, and this is the new normal.   need to adjust to that .....    at any rate, I'll stop whining....... just a 10K, haven't decided about tonight.

sad for the cubbies

DH loved "The Martian" movie and is heading off to the Bridge movie (Tom Hanks) this weekend.  I'm waiting for "The Danish Girl" with Eddie Redmayne.

The article is interesting, but I hope we don't lose traditional 'just running' races.  I want to see what jlynne says; you did one of these races recently, right?

Happy Thursday,

A

ps: MikeE, pack a poncho!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Interesting article, Jay
              I never dreamed of charging spectators too, though.
              It’s especially disconcerting when new races schedule themselves on the same day as lower-key, traditional favorites for local runners.
              Maybe it’s just for marathons and longer but, at least as seems to be true around the PNW, the more popular mega-races with extremely generous cut-offs probably attract slower runners and walkers who appreciate being able to be lost-in-the-crowd with our, . . I mean their seven / eight-and-more hour finishes rather than standing out like a pathetic sore thumb in the smaller races and feeling guilty by keeping the volunteers far beyond the norm. Many smaller marathons in the PNW have responded with similarly-generous early (1hr), super-early (2h) and remedial (3hr) starts on our own.
              In the meantime, with a PNW clime so temperate that the grass stays green all year round here in Seattle, it’s hard even for a non-runner not to want to go running most anytime of the year but especially in fresh autumn morns with the rising sun over the Cascade Mountains shining off golden-yellow leaves along the ways and mighty Mt. Rainier and the Olympics in the distances. 
              5.00 miles along my newly-measured bike commute with views of ‘em all.
              Long sleeve tech shirt just right for 46-degrees

Might have to do it again in reverse this afternoon into the sixties.  
              ps - little did I know either that Back-to-the-Future had the Cubs winning the World Series yesterday.  Maybe next year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

moebo

Deez, have fun in Ireland--wish I were going with you!

Jay, glad I asked about that paperbag workout. I would never have guessed that's what it meant.

What would you call the opposite of a paperbag workout? One that went so well you'd like everyone to know?

Tomwhite, it sounds like your racing days may not be over after all. You're just changing categories!

marj, I hope your hip is better soon. Mine has been complaining over the last few weeks, but only a little tiny bit, thank goodness. I have been taking it slow and easy most days, and it seems to be liking that.

Aamos, I listened to that birder interview on Fresh Air--loved it! Especially the lyrebird at the end.

I am a little sad for the Cubs, too, but I am a LOT happy for the Mets!

This morning I only had time for 3.5 miles, but I was having such a great run in the warm breeze that I did 5 instead. Hair washing will have to wait until later.

Marathon Maniac #957

What would you call the opposite of a paperbag workout? 

"Spotlight run?"

Tet - cool BTTF factoid...

This morning was 20 minutes of P90X Kempo (punching and kicking) and 20 minutes of bike trainer.

I need to quit dawdling over my morning coffee and get to my workout more quickly.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

What would you call the opposite of a paperbag workout? One that went so well you'd like everyone to know?

Rare.

Hello everybody!  I got back last night from my really exciting trip to Milwaukee...

I skipped the beer drinking on Tuesday night, got up at around Jay:15, or so, and went for a 6 mile run.  It was kind of sad...I went down to the Hyatt Regency hotel lobby via a fancy glass elevator, ran by a couple guys in nice clothes with Starbucks coffee and, 10 minutes later, I'm in an area that I was wondering if I should be in.  I suppose it's the same in any city...I know it is in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Yep--Amy--I think we might get wet.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya.

Sayhey! MM#130

So glad you liked it too, moebo!  I was even thinking that those two men made studying birds so fascinating that if I had it to do over again, maybe I'd become an ornithologist.  And here's a link if anyone else is curious: http://www.npr.org/2015/10/20/450038490/flights-of-fancy-exploring-the-songs-and-pathways-of-the-living-bird      ---and you can just go to youtube and google lyrebird if you want to hear that.  Really sounds like a chainsaw.  (Keeping Simon, our parrot, out of earshot of those videos!)

Aamos, I listened to that birder interview on Fresh Air--loved it! Especially the lyrebird at the end.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

moebo, as a retired teacher, it is a fantastic feeling when you hear of a former student doing well.  For quite a while now, all my runs would qualify as paper bag runs.  However, I've decided that, at my advanced age,  if anyone thinks (rightly so) that I'm slow, to heck with them.  I don't care (well, most of the time).

This morning, it was about 50 degrees and there was a light breeze.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:13 pace.

Our daughter just got her wedding pictures back so I'll post one of the family

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Great picture, Tom!

evanflein

Good looking family, Tom!

Moebo, the paper bag reference is when Mustang Sally was having a hard time doing her recovery runs slowly enough, her coach suggested putting a paper bag over her head so she wouldn't be embarrassed by the slow, slow pace. Not sure if it worked (but I suspect it did) but a new RA term was born!

Have fun in Dublin, Deez! Last time we were there we walked to the Guiness brewery on a Saturday morning and had to dodge several spots of evidence of too much fun the night before! It's great to tour the brewery though, I think it's St. James gate.

7.2 miles tonight, progressive pace. Am enjoying the moderate temps (mid to upper 30's) this week, no wind and no precipitation. Doesn't get much better than that for late October in Interior Alaska!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tom - Beautiful!

Deez - Good luck, and I hope you post some pictures when you get back!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."