Masters Running

Ocean Drive 10 Miler RR (Read 230 times)

Renee the dog

From Cape May to North Wildwood, at the southern tip of New Jersey, this is a point-to-point race. It is run along the Ocean Drive in lower Cape May County and the boardwalk in Wildwood/North Wildwood. It was one of those days. Cold weather – it was below freezing when I woke up and there was a wind out of the North. And East. And West. It was also sunny and a 9 o’clock start time. If the wind stayed high, it was going to be a cold day. If the wind died, it was going to be great. The wind didn’t die. I ended up wearing more than I’ve ever run in a race: fleece gloves, fleece headband, short sleeve tech shirt, two long sleeve tech shirts and New Balance Thermal Max pants (for a race!). Thank goodness I didn’t step down a level in pants. What a great atmosphere pre-race, considering the cold. We arrived about 20 min before the race and while the port-o-potties had a monstrous line, the town’s regular public rest rooms were all open, so a couple other women and myself ran down a couple blocks and had the restroom to ourselves – with nice smelling soap and hand dryers to boot! Got back in time to find my husband during the national anthem, ditched my old sweatshirt and there was the gun. We were off! This race intermingles the 10 mile racers and the marathon racers, so everyone (roughly 1200 people) head out at once. We had all of Beach Ave. to ourselves, so lots of elbow room for folks as we started out. This race twists a bit through Cape May then heads out over a couple of open grate bridges (free reflexology!). By the time we had reached our second major bridge, people were already commenting on the scenery. The wind was intense and everyone was pretty slow, so it was interesting to hear folks get what they could out of the race. After that bridge, I was on home turf, running the causeway, and then through town. Running a local race is really enjoyable as I had about 5 different folks call out my name (one a marathoner who I know only from running around town). Our high school track team ran the most professional water station I’ve ever encountered – really just a notch above all the rest. Then on past my street – where my 1 and 4 yr old, nephew, sister and best friend were cheering. A man who lives part-time across the street from me was there too, and it was quite fun to see his jaw wide open as he realized I was running. My plan, such that it was, was to pretty much sit on a 9 min/mi pace until mile 8, which was right before going up on the boardwalk, and then turn up the pace and finish. Well…it was a good plan, but my body just wasn’t on the same page today. I got up on the boardwalk and felt that lift, and then realized, no matter how much effort I tried to expend, I wasn’t going any faster. Then I realized I really couldn’t feel my legs. I couldn’t pick up my pace because my legs couldn’t feel or receive any instructions. So, my thinking went from, “OK, turn ‘em over girl…” to “OK, let’s try that again” to “OK, let’s just finish without tripping.” Smile Well I didn’t trip and I finished, received my medal and took the short trek down to the street to get an orange and some water. Saw my husband on the way back up to the boards. For once in my life, I came in before him. He said by mile 6 he knew he wasn’t going to catch me like he usually does. I don’t have my official time yet, as we had to take off from the finish almost immediately, as we were having a lunch-time birthday party for my 4 yr. old, and I had to go pick up the cake and some shrimp and crab balls. But, I crossed somewhere around 1:31 and change, which was 1 min and change over my hoped for maximum finish time. Upside is that it was a PR regardless, as I’ve never raced this length. Double upside is we had a wonderful party for 3 ½ hours after the race with relatives and neighbors. Plans are already being made for next year’s race. I guess I have to host another party afterwards! I would definitely recommend this race. It is professionally run, but very low key. It’s the perfect kind of race to start racing season in the north!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Good for you on the PR in difficult conditions, wind and cold. I know that area very well and I doubt there is ever a time when it isn't windy along the shore. You did very well to get a PR here, and I hope you can mentally translate that to an even faster time over this distance in better conditions. BTW, one of my friends from my running club in TX ran the marathon today on this course. After our regular run we sat around waiting for her to call us with her time, as she is doing the 50 state thing. I'll post back to this thread after I hear how a Texan commented on the weather! Spareribs
        woooohoooo!! that is an awesome time for your first 10miler!! congratulations on a great race in tough weather!! spring will be here soon!!

denise

Way to go! Super job in the ever-present ocean breeze (wind?)! It must have felt terrific to get over those open grate bridges (I used to call them the "noisy bridge" when I was a kid) and onto YOUR boardwalk. So cool that your cheering section was in front of your house. I'd have loved to see the look on your neighbor's face, too. Somewhere around 1:31 and change is awesome. OK, OK, I promise I'll be there next year, although it still might only be for the 5K. Roll eyes Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Great job nono! Congrats on the PR. and a happy birthday to the 4 year old. Sounds like a great time.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Official time: 1:31:03. So, now I have 1 year to shave 1 min and 3 sec off my time. Big grin Spareribs and Eliz, yeah, the wind is always a factor here, but we've had a lot of E/SE days already this year. Would have been nice if yesterday was one of those days, but it wasn't. In some ways, I'm glad it wasn't the perfect race or perfect conditions. I find that sometimes I get more out of a difficult race or run than an easy one. The knowing of where I was every step of the way meant there was no mental "chatter" at all in my head, so it was a very calming race. It was very funny to have that last two mi. experience with my non-responsive legs -- it was all a physical thing -- with no mental "save a little bit unless you miscalculated" thoughts. I'm giggling about it now just remembering the feeling. Very satisfying race day overall. Apparently, it was a bit too much fun for the kids though -- they've been up every other hour all night. In good moods, just awake. Hence this post before 5 a.m. Black eye

SteveP

Holy Crazy Headwinds Nono...Gotta love our personal cheerleaders. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

coastwalker

It is comforting to be racing on your home turf isn't it? Not only do you know and feel comfortable with where you are, but you also get a lot more support along the way from friends and neighbors from the community, which always helps. You ran a greta race, especially into the wind, and to top it off with a birthday party for your young'un with cake and shrimp and crab balls is more than anyone could ask for! Well done!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice race nono, and congratulations on a new PR to add to your list. Btw, I see potential of a lot of improvement if you have the time to add about 10 miles a week to your schedule. It also wouldn't hurt to slow down your training pace on all but 1 or 2 days each week. Your average training pace is pretty close to what you are racing at.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Renee the dog

Nice race nono, and congratulations on a new PR to add to your list. Btw, I see potential of a lot of improvement if you have the time to add about 10 miles a week to your schedule. It also wouldn't hurt to slow down your training pace on all but 1 or 2 days each week. Your average training pace is pretty close to what you are racing at.
                      Jim, I read your reply to my dog, Renee, who's my running partner. I'll let you know if she takes it to heart about slowing down the daily pace. Wink I appreciate you taking the time to make your comments. I would love to add about 5-10 mpw to my schedule, but currently, I'm going to sit tight on 20 mpw for a bit for two reasons: * I don't get any uninterrupted sleep ever due to a lot of craziness that will eventually subside over the next few months * I want to lose some weight. I find that when I implement a plateau, the weight drops off me pretty quickly. Check my log by autumn though and get on my case if I haven't implemented your ideas! Smile

In spite of the cold and wind, it sounds like a fantastic day, nono. You had scenery, friends, neighbors, family, and your own neighborhood. Congrats on a great race. TomS
                          Great job! I was there, gazing longingly at the turn-off for the 10 miler as I trolled on into the wind. Congrats on your PR in running that distance for the first time. grins, A
                          Masters 2000 miles
                          jtv

Nono, Great job yesterday. Congrats on the PR. Even though this race is only 30 miles from home, I have never done it (because of the wind/weather). Hope to see you at some of the local race this year.
                              Nono, the only good thing (most of the time) about starting off into a heavy wind is knowing that it'll be at your back on the return. Too bad that this wasn't the case for you! You did a great time all things considered, and whipping your poor DH should be icing on the cake. Wink

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Way to tough it out and nice racing. I try and let the view of the water block my focus on the wind (doesn't always work, but the combination is a given I suppose) I liked your mantra and clearly it worked. Nice job and good partying too! CNYrunner