Masters Running

Whensday, 3.12.14 (Read 48 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Good luck with the new shoes, Dave. I'm surprised you got 2 pairs of laces in 2 different colors. You must be a special guy!

Nice that you were able to get out in shorts, Slo, and that you saw some familiar faces out there.

Stumpy, I also hate it when Mr. Garmin tells me I was slower than I thought. I always think he must be mistaken.

Glad to see that EP is gearing up for the OIB Half, Mariposai. And I'm glad you had a bird serenade on your run yesterday.

Hi Econo! I'm jealous of your IRC.

Nice of you to let Marj do the trail scouting for your Henrun.   And very nice that you got out in shorts yesterday!

Everything contributes, Holly - genetics and your own good habits.

Sounds like a fun 3-part workout yesterday, Aamos.

I'm very sorry to read about the loss of the local coach, Ribs. He sounds like he was quite a guy.

'Nother nice lunchtime 7, C-R!

I'm glad the knee is behaving this week, Enke. Enjoy the 'home stuff' during your time off.

Robin, it sounds like you are going to be so ready for Boston this year!

Deeze, I might not know which corral I'll be assigned to until race morning. Just look for the old guy with the grey beard in the same jacket as everyone else...

BTY, it seems you are ramping up quite nicely. If you can't pack your foam roller, a tennis ball will do essentially the same job.

Evanflein - I'm sure we've all done the slog at one time or another (or many times, in my case).

Can't believe you've got cherry blossoms on the way already, Tet! So cool.

I'm glad 2 of your 3 trainees are going to work out, Steve.

We had our local "Town Meeting" vote yesterday, and all 3 of my conservation commissions warrant articles passed by at least 2-1 margins. I am quite relieved and surprised.

6.7 RW miles at 4 o'dark this morning. I had run some yesterday, so my quads were particularly achy this morning, and it took a couple of miles to get into a groove. There was also some skim ice from yesterday's snow melt, and at times I had to back way off to get across some of those spots. At another point, I just didn't see the curb, and came way too dang close to a serious face plant. Fortunately, I managed to get a foot back under me and stayed upright. Despite the aches, I worked fairly hard this morning, and will be paying for it for the next few hours. But, with ice and snow coming overnight, I'll be taking tomorrow morning off, and so will have plenty of time to recover.

Have a greta Wednesday!  (What day is it??)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I was just about to start a daily topic but I checked one last time to make sure no one else had already put one out there, and there this was.  Thanks Jay.

I ran 5 outside today.  It's snowing pretty hard and its windy, but it was only hard when heading north and my loop today was primarily east-west.  We're north the heaviest snow.  Just a couple inches predicted here.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Good morning Jay, Dave and all the rest to follow.  Thanks again Jay for the recap.

Nancy - I would love to come to Omak and run the 1/2 marathon. Unfortunately with taking a week of vacation for the Ave of the Giants I can't get any more time off for the drive up and back. 

Off from work today, going for my annual physical and semi-annual dental checkup/cleaning.  Yesterday I had one of "those" runs.  No energy in the legs and just not feeling good, so I aborted a 15 miler at 3 miles thinking tomorrow is another day.  Well, as it turned out it is...  After a good dinner and a great night's sleep I was able to easily do the 15 miles (8:40 pace) on the TM.  Luckily the movie Master and Commander was on cable.

Yesterday marked the 10 week point on my diet experiment and the report card is in.  Weight loss:  20 lbs, 3.25 inches off the waist, 660 miles ran on 69 of 70 days.   I am extremely happy with the results so far.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all re my friend the running coach.

In addition to being tired lately, one other thing I am now tired of is being tired of telling people I am tired and being a downer. I told my RP this morning that I felt bad for unloading on her all my concerns.  So I will simply ask you!

The problem for me, and why I am confused by all of this is that there are so many variables and I can't figure out which is the contributor, or if it's all of them.  I would welcome your own opinions.  Example of what I am feeling.  I start running and feel okay, but after two miles or so, I feel like late stages of a marathon, just a general feeling of "this is hard to do." Not a high heart rate, and no pain, just feels like work.

Here is the present situation.  I am 67, will be 68 in August. Of course you all know I have heart disease and I am getting slower each year, dramatically.

On February 23 I ran the Cowtown Ultra and I sense I am still fatigued from it.  I recall that last year when I did it, I was even tired heading into Boston, two months later, so maybe it's that. I have no idea why that would be however. I have no soreness or muscular aches and pains and I faithfully do my stretching and core work.  Yesterday I did a 2 minute wall sit, my longest ever, and I do 50 pushups and at least a minute plank daily too, among other exercises.

Of course the cancer is on my mind and I wonder if it's at all possible that's contributing.  Or maybe it's the worrying about the cancer as I have to admit it's on my mind a lot.

I'm also on the VB6 diet, so I eat no meat for breakfast or lunch, do eat meat for dinner, not red meat, usually fish or some chicken.  According to my calculations I'm getting enough protein and certainly enough calories.

I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have gone through this before and if you have any insights.  My cancer surgery is scheduled for April 29th by the way.  Thank you.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Spareribs, over-training? Have you taken two or three days of total rest at all? I had the symptoms you are describing a few years back and when I looked in my running log I found out that I was not giving my body total rest from my fitness activities (running, skiing, biking, hiking). I took about 4 days off, total rest (it almost drove me nuts) but my sproink came back after that.

Also, dealing with cancer is huge. Not many knows here, but I have had my dance with skin cancer on my face for the last year (I was just diagnosed cancer free last month) the journey affected me big time, emotionally, physically, and mentally. Now, consider that my case was not as an aggressive cancer as you are dealing with, so I would say that cancer could be a big culprit as well.

10 mile run to Okanogan and back on a crispy morning as the dawn turned into day. This was a great day to welcome the new day. It was a cold, crispy and lonely morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

,,,ribbs//....your body is Fighting the Cancer, it would have to steal energy away from your other activities

also,

is Liver permitted??............good BloodBuilder

and Rest whenever you're tired>>>>>>easier said than done

=========

...MRI and labs today.....very hard to hold still for 25-min

tech said

''8-more minutes''

when he

got me out I said

''actually just over 5-minutes''

''how'd you know?'' he asked

''I'm a PoolRunner,

counting minutes is THE MOST EXCITING PART OF IT''

.................but I digress.........

34mprnb

ws

trust me on that

..................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

I wish I knew the answers Ribs, as do you. I can only guess in my non-doctor, no personal experience, opinion, that it could very well be a combination of all factors - recovering from ultra, stress and physical toll of cancer, age, etc.  I also want to pass on my condolences of the loss of this person you knew.

got in a short 3 mile run to test out my new shoes yesterday. Brooks Ghost 6. wow.wow.wow. Why did I wait so long to buy new shoes?? I've been wearing Asics for about 5 yrs now, but these felt like I was running on air.! Will get in another run this afternoon with the track kids. Yesterday was David's first day of practice and he's been named team captain, which means he leads the group in their warm-up laps, stretching, agility exercises.

Last night he asked for my help in quizzing him for his math test today - last one of the trimester, so he wants to do real well on it, although he currently has a 97 in math anyways. I am NOT a math person at all. I took geometry and adv. algebra in HS because it was required, but nothing after that. do not like math. But basically I just had to make sure he walked through the steps of solving this theorem or proof, or whatever they are called, correctly - which he had written down on paper for me to follow. 100% greek to me. but he nailed it. He said next trimester they are going to start some trigonometry. in 8th grade! I told him I'm so glad he understands this stuff and even enjoys it. I can't wrap my brain around that stuff.

Tammy

Nana_

Hi Everyone,

I'm new.  I joined the 50's forum but I thought I'd join this one too and hang out with some young folks

I'm doing a Beginner Galloway, lots of walking in there still.

Nice to meet you!

Mike E

MM #5615

There's a 50's forum?

Hello everybody!

I had to pop in during lunch to say hi to Jo...hi, Jo...welcome to the group.

I, too, wish I could help, Ribs...I do know that, if I were dealing with knowing I had cancer, I would be feeling lousy all the time.  But, tomwhite makes sense...you must be working working pretty hard right now.  I really wish you the best through all of this.

Nice job on the diet, ras.

Why am I not surprised that David was named captain?

No run for me last night....I basically wasted the whole night doing nothing.  Monday's speed work didn't go very well, either.  I was supposed to  do 3 x 1 mile repeats at 5:50.  Of course with the all the tracks buried under a foot of snow, I took to the road with my Garmin....by the way...I've always thought of my Garmin as a Miss....anyway...I was only able to do 6:04, 6:06, and 6:08.  My legs felt like trash.  Hopefully, my tempo run goes better, tonight.  Oh, on the plus side--I was able to run in shorts on Monday!

Okay--I gotta go...I don't want to be rude to the person who just walked in.

...Welcome Aboard Jo//............normally ribbs would expain The Fines System,

but

we may have to wait til after his nap....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi Everyone,

I'm new.  I joined the 50's forum but I thought I'd join this one too and hang out with some young folks

I'm doing a Beginner Galloway, lots of walking in there still.

Nice to meet you!

Hi Jo, welcome.  henrun, tet, and I appreciate being lumped in with the young folks. tet and I are 70.  henrun is more than that and everyone's role model.  Hang in there with Galloway.  This is the place to be for encouragement.

My wife and I started the week with two, instead of one day of grandson babysitting.  It was great but we need to rest up now.

Twocat, good job in your 25K race.  tomw, my condolences to you and your family.  Aamos, congratulations on being the fastest survivor in the Komen 5K.  ribs, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. ras, I'd say your diet program is working well.  ribs, I wish I had a good answer for your question.  Myself, I've slowed a lot and been running less miles for the last several years.  The only condition we share is getting older.  Sometimes, I think I need to accept what mother nature does to old people and other times I think I need to kick myself in the rear.  I have gotten over beating myself up over my deterioration and am grateful for what I can do.  I hope I haven't rationalized myself into doing less than I could and should.  I wish you the best in your search for answers.

Nice long runs for CNY, ras, and mari.

This morning, I wasn't as tough as my neighbor, Dave.  I did 5 miles on the TM at a 10:42 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

There's a 50's forum?

That's what I was wondering, too.  Of course I spend more time than I should dropping in HERE.

Oh, and welcome Jo.  this is a great place AND can be addicting once you get hooked.

BTW, I've given in to lack of training and decided to look at a late fall marathon instead of the late spring one in Maine that I was considering.  OK, I also waited long enough that the registration for that one filled up, but it would have been painful if I had.  right now I'm looking at Richmond in mid-November.  I know Tramps runs that somewhat regularly.  anyone else offer an opinion?  it may also be based on getting lodging arranged with relations that live there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

got in a short 3 mile run to test out my new shoes yesterday. Brooks Ghost 6. wow.wow.wow. Why did I wait so long to buy new shoes?? I've been wearing Asics for about 5 yrs now, but these felt like I was running on air.!

+  I also used to run in Asics, but they changed the last/design.  I bought Ghost and Saucony and prefer the Ghost - heel on Saucony is too loose.

Jo - welcome!

tselbs mentioned the men, leaving out the old lady - just turned 69!  I'm probably the oldest and one of the slowest

Ribs = there's been some good advice offered

marj

Ribs, aren't you also on bp medication?  I suppose the type and amount hasn't changed?  Did the manufacturer change?

Welcome Jo_

Going to run up on Cougar Mtn, once I digest my lunch.....gorgeous beautiful sunny day, going up to 62F, also waiting for it to get warmer so I can wear shorts.

Meet up with Door# 14 or 15 tonight, shoot, I am losing track!  I must be too picky.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

C-R

Welcome Jo.

Quick 10k at lunch. Busy at work. More snow today. Oh brother.

No clue Ribs but stress has a big impact on us and you've had more than your share lately. Just a thought. All the best.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/