Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 8.13.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Good recovery run yesterday, C-R, with a follow-up 5.2 at lunch.

Nice hill workout Dave. And good luck with your new plan after your good workout:  "quit work, and just lay around and enjoy the endorphins."

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STUMPY!!! You sure are young for your age...

Good perspectives on schizophrenia and depression, Aamos - two difficult issues for those who suffer with them, and those around those folks. I'm sorry about your red sox. Are you going to keep the offending shoes or return/exchange them?

I guess you've got your answer about the Canton Marathon, Holly. It will be a greta tune-up for VT.

The Saint is doing great, Ribs! You're doing pretty well too... A Ribs/Tet meet-up? One can only wonder what'll happen.

Right you are Tet - the eggbeaters will likely win every time, in almost any sport where speed is the deciding factor.

Nice moon & sunlit 8-miler, Marj. Is that sort of like double-dipping (in the nicest way, of course)?

Twocat, congrats on surviving your wheel-less run, and looking forward to running another day.

Good zombieless run for you and the EP, Mariposai.

Leslie, when you are powerwalking, use hip rotation, not hip turnover. Try to push off with your toes a bit at the end of each stride: That little push will help bring that trailing leg forward faster so you can start your next stride sooner. Also, keep your arms bent at 90º - a shorter fulcrum will give you faster arm swings, which will help to facilitate faster overall speed.

Henrun, thanks for your past work with, and your perspective on depression. If there is some media focus on depression, even for a short while (which is about as much as one can expect from the media), it could be very helpful to a lot of people.

Aamos, I never lose sight of the fact that I am incredibly fortunate, and wildly lucky, to have been born in this country, rather than in any of so many other places around the globe where the challenges of just getting through each day are enormous. And I also wonder how any country's leader can possibly think it is OK to let their people suffer so much, as long as that leader has what they want. Don't get me started...

Evanflein, a local race announcer is constantly reminding race organizers to ALWAYS put date, time, and location at the beginning of any publicity for their race. And he is so right.

Congrats on 1st place and a new AG record at the Senior Games 5K, Trackrat! Excellent running, especially on a hot evening!

Thank you too, Enke, for your perspectives on depression. Interesting to note the differences between biological and situational depression. I hope #3 with Mr. Clooney goes well, even if the jets have cooled a bit. They can still get fired up again, can't they?

Mariposai, I wish I could race as fast as some of my weeds grow! I also wish I could pull them as fast too...

Tet, thanks for the reminders that Robin Williams was also no slouch as a runner in his school days.

6.5 RW miles at JJ o'clock this morning. It was 67F, and there was a very strong breeze blowing off the ocean that put flags out straight, blew me sideways at one point, and almost took my cap a couple of times. I was glad it was only raining lightly, from the way it was coming in sideways like little stingers from time to time. Much more rain is apparently on it's way for today. I took it easy again today, for the most part, and just worked some more on improving my hip rotation. But I also did a couple of speed bursts (so to speak), especially for the last .5, and it felt pretty good.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks for the ketchup Jay!! 

Managed to get in my tempo run before work this morning in just a light drizzle - the wind and rain definitely started picking up as I walked from Fenway to the Brigham and felt like I was going to be blown away a couple of times.   Ran .5 mile warm-up, 8:16, 8:14, 8:13 and 8:10 for my tempo miles, .2 cool-down then a mile walk to work.

Have a great day my friends -- today is MY FRIDAY!! 

denise

C-R

Morning Jay

Great summary. I can see why you manage to keep things so organized for your community. Glad the winds didn't blow you off the roads.

It was a busy day in here yesterday. Nice to catch up.

Hey Holly - when we lived in Evansville we once had a powerboat race called Thunder on the Ohio. Very crowded and loud but fun. Enjoy those boat races.

Nicely done Track!

Got a easy 3.1 before a long two day road trip.

Have a super day everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

..Happy B'Day stumpy//.......Good Running to Ya........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Wow...You guys are really hard to keep up with when one is not checking in everyday!

But I got Jay's Readers Digest !!!!

Trying to find the motivation I need to get my running back. I really miss the 50 to 70 mile weeks but I've been letting other items steal away that time...lame excuses mostly.

Starting a big project. I live in a small depressed river city along the Mississippi. Lots of good people but we have a higher than usually un-employment rate and higher than usuall population of low income. The city is broke. Our roads are a disaster. The road I live on recently became a gravel road because there is no money to fix it. Gravel is far better than the mud hole it would be come in the spring. We have lots of vacant properties, the city does not have the labor force to keep up with our parks maint needs...on and on.

Anyway...that is all needless background info. I've been working with the city leaders and have been green lighted to improve the existing trails and build new trails in city park (Eagle Point Park) that sits atop a bluff overlooking the Mississippi. These will be shared use trails for running, biking, hiking and horseback.

So I started the Human Powered League. We will become the trail builders and stewarts of these trails. No cost to the city...The newspaper is interviewing me Friday about the trails and our plans. I'm very excited about the trails we can develope and the ways they can benefit the city and this beautiful park we have.

Ok...back to work!

King of PhotoShop

Great job Trackrat.  Those evening races get mighty hot.

But it wasn't hot down here in N. TX today! About 74 degrees when I went out at 7 a.m.  Darn near froze my butt off.  6 miles at just under 10 minute miles.

I have a couple of hours of work today, then I'm wide open for the rest of the day so I may do something with Hudson (if he ever wakes up!)  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.  I realize I should have celebrated with a birthday run, but having to run back up to Maine last night to see off FIL from his visit and get BD dinner, the time sort of went away.  I may run early in the morning, but the J o'clock that that would have entailed was beyond me.

Not sure if it's against protocol to post your own cake, but DD made me this for last night and I want to show her off.

Chocolate cake with fudge and strawberry layers and toasted coconut. (DW contributed the fish candles)  Barely choked down a huge piece. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Kind of rushed today....Slo, that is so cool what you're doing.  What state are you in; I should remember but I don't, sorry to say.  I'm looking forward to following your progress.  Post a link to the article, will you?

enke, echoing good wishes for the next meetup; hope you find enough common ground to keep progressing.

Ribs!  yes, I was to go to Dallas, but airlines, bah humbug!  Also not sure which chum I am staying with when I get to destination, oops.  Also nursing place on right foot where new shoes bit me (yes, returned them without any issues, after brandishing my wound and bloody sock at salesclerk....one advantage to not buying over the Internet; immediate follow-up after faulty product purchase.  With all these things going against me, I figure the trip will have to turn out greta.  Except I will totally miss NOT seeing you, Ribs.  Please to give me a rain check?  (plane check, more like it )

Congrats, trackrat.  HIgher temps will definitely slow you down.

Are you sure running Canton so close to Vermont is prudent, Holly?   <<gosh that was fun>>

Windy in New England, sounds like...good weather in Cincy, hope it maintains this afternoon .

Did you know there's a marathon named for Abebe Bikila, tet?  I'm running it next month!  (But I will wear shoes , hope I'll still be considered in spirit with the race.....)

Listened to parts of Terry Gross's re-broadcast of her '06 interview with Robin Williams 2x yesterday, during work and then on the ride home from running last night.  Oh, and DH made a most excellent salmon supper last night; appreciate he's so supportive of me running, don't say it enough.

Love the Speedsters....we did 3 one-mile repeats last night, and while it wasn't quite 5K speed, it was close.  Warm up and cool down miles were 8:10 and 7:47 with the repeats 7:20, 6:58 and 6:54.  Plus I'd done some miles before we got started, so good workout.

Happy Hump day and grins to you all,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

That is one delicious looking cake, Stumpy. Your DD is a very talented baker.

Aamos, your workouts always inspire me to go farther, to push my limit! (BTW, it is so good to have you back on the daily).

Denise, you speedy sistahh! I can't to see you and hang out with you at the relay!.

Speaking of the relay, the Reach the Beach Relay is only a month away. I can't wait to see and hang out with a few of my dear RA friends such as Denise and her son, Robin, Jay, Milktruck, Lamerunner, Twocat.

BTW, we have one injured teammate and we are still looking for one more runner. One of you, please be our hero and come to our rescue!!!! You will have a blast, I promise.

Ohh, no running for me yet. We had a storm here last night ( with a lot of lightening) and it brought a lot of the smoke to our area, which is making running outside not safe. I took the day off today for "ME" time. I may drive away from the valley in the afternoon to fit in a few woods miles and to get fresh air.

Spareribs, is Hudson awake yet? 

Holly, great to see you having so much fun this summer!

Jay, your daily recaps are much appreciated. Nice 6 windy miles for you today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Jay - Thanks for the info re the hips and feet movement.  I definitely have lazy arms, which I know is very inefficient and slows me down.  This I gotta work on.

I subscribe to Ultrarunning Magazine and complain often to The Hub that the folks who advertise their races don't say where the race is located.  A race will look promising, only to find out after a search on the 'net that it's clear across the country.  Very irritating, indeed.

All the discussion re depression was very insightful.  If nothing else, Robin Williams' suicide is bringing back into the spotlight a condition that people are ashamed of, are completely oblivious of, or think it's not a real condition.

It got sprinkled on a couple of times this morning, but nothing promising, unfortunately.

Did about 45 min of core/ST yesterday after work.  We're working at a race this weekend and I won't have a chance to run, so Coach has put my miles in during the week.  8 miles this morning, then I think I have 5 tomorrow and 6 on Friday before we leave.  I haven't run 4 days in a row in a LONG time, nor will I have run this much on pavement in a very long time.  My legs are pooped from yesterday's two workouts and today's run, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel come Friday.  I kept the leg work last night to a minimum (sort of), but my legs are definitely tired.

Saturday we get to climb up a mountain for 2-3 miles with full hiking backpacks to set up an aid station for the Waldo 100k.  Last year it took almost 2 hrs for all of us to get there.  We were loaded down like pack mules.  We're the last aid station, so we probably won't get back 'til around midnight or so.  However, the RDs and the guy who runs the kitchen keeps everything up and running and the food going until every last runner and volunteer has been fed.  It's loads of fun and I'm looking forward to it.  Maybe not so much to the climb, though . . . . .

Okay - Work beckons.  Later ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Holly - when we lived in Evansville we once had a powerboat race called Thunder on the Ohio. Very crowded and loud but fun. Enjoy those boat races.

This weekend is actually another one of DH's FB-found HS-friend meet-ups.  I expect I will spend most of my time hanging back with his friend's wife while DH and his old friend (a different one than last weekend) catch up.  Still, I expect it will be fun, and I've never been to boat races before, nor to Rising Sun, IN.

Kevin - that cake looks scrumptious!

Yesterday's fartleks, coupled with last night's weight training class (DD went with me this time), had my legs tired this morning, so I trudged up and down the hills around my house in loops.

5.6 miles of hills in 64 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..very good insight from enke yesterday on Clinical Depression, back in the days of Thorazine and Mellaril if they sat there drooling into their laqps it was considered a GoodThing,

these days it seems every other person is on an anti-depressant and we're STILL not happy

over medicated?? I think so.

when my Mom was dying

my doc wanted to put me on Zoloft,

but I pointed out I had a really good REASON for being depressed.

and on it goes.

==========

..but I digress (also I am doing 4-CE's on Major Depressive Disorders)

32-min HeavyHands RacingCaneWalking (and you wonder why I abbreviate things)

followed

by 32-min poolrun no belt, deep end only

followed

by 20-min TENS treatment

followed

by a HotBath

..........it's Good to Have A Plan........

..........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

5 moderately easy miles for me this morning.  Only 52° when I was out there.  Feels really good to have that in August.

It probably isn't for severe depression, but this book was a huge help for my anxiety. (Book is directed more at depression than anxiety.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J63BD84pL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS100_.jpgFeeling Good by David D., M.D. Burns 

So I started the Human Powered League. We will become the trail builders and stewarts of these trails. No cost to the city...The newspaper is interviewing me Friday about the trails and our plans. I'm very excited about the trails we can develope and the ways they can benefit the city and this beautiful park we have.

How awesome that you have a group of people who are willing to help their city recover without expecting anything in return, except better trails and parks

Enke - glad you had fun with door #20. I agree with your post on depression and bipolar disorder. We have a history of depression in our family. My oldest brother's son was bipolar and took himself off meds, then ended up committing suicide. He has another son who is also bipolar. My oldest sister's daughter, while never professionally diagnosed, suffered from depression and committed suicide two years ago.  Even though you are incredibly sad that these poor people felt they had no where to turn and taking their life seemed to be the only option, the sadness and grief that the family left behind must deal with is truly devastating.

Any of that delicious looking birthday cake left Kevin? Belated good wishes to you.

Have fun at the boat races Holly.

Yesterday was primary election day here. Was at the polls from 6:15 yesterday morning until 7:45 last night. Long day and low turnout. It was a partisan election which makes a lot of voters very unhappy. I'm not sure how many states still do that...

4 miles on the elliptical, 6 miles on the bike followed with 30 minutes of core work.

Happy Hump Day everyone.

Wow, I wasn't aware that Franc had had cancer surgery 3 months before her amazing 300 miles in 6 days.  steve, I hope your oncologist appointment doesn't find anything serious.  Also, it's tough what you are going through with your brother.  stumpy, happy birthday.  Trackrat, nice racing.

Nice long run for deez.  Good job on the speedwork for BTY, Dave, and Twocat.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and there was some wind.  I did 4 miles at an 11:15 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS