Masters Running

40s On the Run - I am Grateful for My Friends (Wk of 05/11/08) (Read 498 times)

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. (Marcel Proust) You guys are the best. Running just wouldn't be the same without you. Happy Moms Day to those moms of two-legged or four-legged, furry, feathery kids.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Happy Mom's day!! Kid moms, pet moms and grandmoms!! 4+4+2+9=20 huh?? That was the math that went thru my head at the first of 2 HS graduation parties. To get my first 20 mile week I would need 10 today (not advisable) or do another mile on Saturday. The thought of having to do a little mile run, kept me pretty good at the graduation buffets, and I did the run after we got home at a very easy pace. It was 42 degrees today at run time warming fast on the way to 70, light winds, bright sunshine, gorgeous morning. I got in my longest run to date of 9.17 from the farm to town with a little loop around town to put me over 9. Also with the conclusion of this run gives me my first ever 20 mile week. Cool Once I got past the "dead legs" of the first mile the run went really well. I had to talk crossly to Macy the happy yellow lab on my route to keep her from joining me. Lots of home maintenance and lawn mowing going on in town. A lady and her husband painting trim shouted out to me that "running looked like work" to which I replied "I'd much rather run than paint." DW and I are getting excited about Bolder Boulder. Arla looks like i missed ya, last post, have a good visit with your mom.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Thanks Leslie once again for the fine start ! And what can we all say except "we love ya too Babe!" Yes Way to go Farm on the big week! You've come back strong.Looks like your BB training is going very.well. Sorry I highjacked another of your pics!.It' too cool to pass up. (from last week)- Great to see you Bob ! How's the ankle coming along. Good ,I hope.You know, thanks to you I have been doing those "proprioceptive exercises" (can't pronounce that tho) and it's really helped with my balance. Thanks for that. Jewels- Happy Mom's Day to ya! Your girls are lucky to have such a good role model. Smile Not too hot here yet, only 55* today. Cindy-Happy Mom's Day to you too! And you also provide a great example to your kids (and grandkids)! In marathon training to boot! Kelly- Happy Mom's Day to you too! You have some motor and sure are accomplishing alot! Hi to Arla and Carol and whoever else is around! Sunday long runs this summer will mostly be in the trails,and today was an awesome start. The Budster and I were good for somewhere around 16 miles in about 3:10 hrs of Veryslow paced running.That doesn't account for all the Buddy stops and the 2 swims he got to take in the river! Cool Leslie's advice in my head all day: " conservation, short step the uphills, zigzag the downhills, drink plenty..." I'm going slow to go farther... C ya's modified(twice) to spell "proprioceptive" correctly.

Ultrachick

Thanks for a great quote to start with Leslie-right back at you. Big grin Congrats r2 on the long run. Slow and steady progression will hopefully keep you off the injured list and get you to the starting line. Same goes for you Joe. I train by HR and it works! Happy Mother's Day Jewels, Cindy and any other mothers I may have missed. I know it's late and you probably won't see this until tomorrow. Oh well-it's the thought. Speaking of late, one of my goals (again) is to get to bed earlier or this motor will be working overtime and getting me no where fast! Chat with you all later! Smile Kelly
          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Good morning, my fine peeps! Farmer Jim - Good job on the 20 mile week. Woo hoo! Joe - I'm glad the trails went well for you and the Budster. Kelly - I'm hearing you on trying to get to bed earlier. It's hard. I tried to go to bed at 8:30 last night (I was pooped), but our cable went out again and I had to get on the phone with Suddenlink to try and get it fixed. (Can I just say I am not a fan of Suddenlink??) Ended up not getting to bed until almost 9:30. Today was my first day of giving the HR monitor a real try. Dang thing kept beeping at me: "Heart Rate Too High. Heart Rate Too High." Geez! It was hard keeping it within the "aerobic zone," but I know it's going to be very beneficial in the long run (no pun intended). Did 5 miles and then 10 hill sprints. I have so much work I need to get done between now and the end of the day tomorrow, it's mind-boggling. We travel to Pleasanton on Wednesday, participate in conference activities Thurs through Sun a.m., then drive home Sun. Thankfully, we start tapering this week; although I'm looking at my workout schedule and my conference schedule and trying to figure out how I'm going to get it all to gel. Just as long as there's time for a glass or two of wine in there, I'm good to go (except for the 1.5 hours of treadmill running I'll have to do on Saturday. Dead ) Have a good week everyone!

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Afternoon all.... We've had a busy 2 days here in town. 9 wild fires have been burning since early yesterday. Hot, dry and windy weather has made things very difficult for the fire fighters. Last night around 9 p.m. as I was out in my front yard looking thru the trees it's like a burning orange color. Very eerie and scary. They just evacuated the H.S. of my girls. Flames were right across the street. They just got home. She took a whole bunch of pictures with her cell phone. Unbelievable.... The really said part.....it's arson! There's a $10,000 reward for any info. Will catch up with everyone later...Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys, just checking in. I am dragging butt today. Shins a ittle sore from a little more pavement than I am used to but hips and SI very good. yay! No more runs til wednesday. I finsihed a sandy field last nite then moved home and fixed some things on my planter. Mid-morning start on the hard ground by the house, after repairs then promptly plugged up with mud. Patience is a virtue, just not one of mine. I better keep moving. later gators Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Jim - Have you ever done exercises to strength your shins, thus, defying the dreaded shin splints? Walk around for five minutes on your heels, knees slightly bent (just don't lock the knees), 3 or 4 times a weeks. The first time you do it, you'll be thinking, "What the -----" within a couple of minutes, but they work wonders. Guaranteed to keep you from getting shin splints. And you'll get wonderful comments from Linda about looking like a duck. Big grin

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Thanks Leslie, I tried them and Lynda did get a chuckle out of it. I had shin splints pretty severe when I first started. Went to pt, did tons of toe taps, finally moved from a cushion shoe to a mild support shoe and they went away. I sure don't want them back so will work that duckwalk in. I seemed to loosen up pretty fast today, so a pretty succesful ramp up. I am debating on whether to train hard right up to BB or taper. I don't have any real goals for the race just enjoy the experience. Too much altitude, too many people and too many hills for much of a pr attempt. We have a local 5k on the 4th of July that I really want to run well. Have fun at your conference, I don't envy a 1.5 hour treadmill run. My mom was a legal sec and was pretty active in the local assn. Joe that Buddy's such a slave driver and then has the nerve to go play in the water when you are hard at it Tongue Congradulations on the 16 miler thats awesome. Maybe someday I'll get there. Jewels thats pretty scary. I see alot of the se is still in mod to severe drought. Some improvement here with recent rains/snow etc.. Oh you were asking about altitude and I found a calculator you might play with. http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html. I am always slower at the colorado races but never ran one when I was trained up so to speak. You guys are gonna get tired of me if we don't get back in the fields soon. Big grin

Making this a quick update.....fire got REAL close. Embers blowing eveywhere. Lost power around 4 o'clock yesterday, still NO POWER. Running everything off the generator. I guess the fire gutted a main pole. 75 homes already destroyed. Some of our friends have nothing left. Really sad. The girls school got a little damage so there is no school today for them today. Better go....with gas prices, running that generator ain't cheap, but at least we had paddle fans and a cold fridge last night. Hope the power comes back on soon though. This is the pits. Will check back when I can.....Jewels

Top 'O the World!

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. (Marcel Proust) You guys are the best. Running just wouldn't be the same without you.
                        .....what she said! Smile Cool Wink Hope all "applicable parties" had a wonderful Mother's Day!!! 80* yesterday.....no time {no energy} to run.....Winter Storm Warning (33*) this am! Shocked Roll eyes ahhh, Springtime in Colorado! ~ now, where'd I put that North Face jacket!? I'll be going out just as soon as I drop Abby off @ school w/her cupcakes.....Got my "training schedule" Sat am...the beginning part looks much easier than what I've been doing!!? Didn't get a chance to chat w/the coaches, as I had to get to work & then on the road....Sweeeeet new grandbaby! if ya need more than that: http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/mtnchk1/ Leslie: Have fun w/tapering!...I hear it's a challenge! Clowning around I believe the wine will help you meet your goal Wink Jewels!! Shocked: ...listening to the desc. of the wildfires on the am news!...that's so sad that anyone would deliberately do that! .. Surprised be careful running w/that air quality!! Jim: We could NEVER get tired of you!!! We'll take what we can get, as we all know you have large chunks of time when you have no time!!! Congrats on upping the mileage! easy does it....sorta! & looking fwd to seeing you guys @ the BB...some info: http://www.9news.com/life/programming/shows/mornings/article.aspx?storyid=91619 also a rumor that a coupla celebs (Deena K & Ryan H) http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=91598 may be there.....that would be sooooo KEWL! oh yeah, Lance is here @ DU today....BTW: glad you survived the bumpy weather!! Joe: Shocked WTG!! You Rawk!! I'll bet Buddy is thrilled w/the change in venue! Wink no way am I up for 16 miles just yet! well, truth is, I haven't tried...."life" is log jamming my schedule still... Arla: Hope you're having a wonderful week w/your Mom!! Smile Kelly: Great Idea!!..... okay, whom do I need to eliminate to get this done!? Evil grin Laters! Cindy
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                          Jewels - Take care, girlfriend. All our thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone else down there. Be extra careful with that air quality and signs of chest congestion or nasal congestion. Those can become nasty infections really fast. Farmer Jim - First, I realized I spelled Lynda's name wrong in my earlier post. Apologies! Second, we could never get tired of you. Glad the run went well. I thought about you quite a bit Saturday when I was running, wondering how you guys are handling with these lousy gas prices. We regular vehicle drivers think it's tough. When you were trying to figure out your budget however many months ago, probably didn't see this coming. Cindy - Cute pics of the grandbaby! I'll be checking out your photobucket, too. Cut myself short on the mileage this morning as I was running late, late, late, but I did get in 4.55 miles with 5 short and 5 long hill repeats. Had a spectator while running the hills, too. Last week he barked at me the whole time. This week he just stood there contemplating whether or not his old body could catch me to maybe bite me. Wink He tried to waddle toward me one time, and I said, "No!" fairly firmly. He looked like, "Geez! Even you know the command? This sucks . . ." I am so itching to get out of here! Conference is always fun, but the best part is me and my bud, Denise, getting out of town together. She's a hoot. She's 62 yo, 4' 8", and over the last 2 years has lost 55 pounds!!! Shocked Did it with WW and Curves. She looks great! Okay - gotta go. Later!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

33 degrees, light wind, sunshine B E A U tiful day for a run..........If it was freaking March!! 4.4 miles very easy recovery pace with a real short finishline kick. More later. Jewels you guys still ok??

jfa

No time to post but praying all goes well for Jewels.......

Afternoon all... We still have our house but so many that lost everything. Not to mention folks we don't know, but we know of at least a half dozen folks that are friends of ours that have nothing left. We just got our power back, so running has been out of the question with everything going on. Kids are still out of school. Possibly going back tomorrow. A couple of the "portable" classrooms burned down but the main school is O.K. Black charred woods all around the area though. At 4 a.m. this morning a suspicious person was seen driving thru a neighborhood, when the neighbor peeked out of his window he saw them throw something into the woods and instantly the woods were on fire. 911 was called, police arrived, suspect jumped out of his car and ran into the woods. Canine unit called in and, BINGO....that dog was all over him in a heartbeat. He was bit up by the dog and was transported to the hospital. I work just a block away from the hospital. You should see the security over there. There not letting too many people get in there unless you can prove you're there to visit someone or you need emergency help yourself. I suppose they think someone wants to take this guy out? Ya think? He has been arrested and they are pretty sure, but not positive yet if he is just a "copycat" arson or if he is the real deal. Most of the fires that have been burning have been within a 2-4 mile radius of my home. Too damn close for comfort. They caught the guy just a couple of miles from my neighborhood. Alot of people's pets were lost, which is really sad. Woot, woot for everyone's runs, long runs, and g-baby pics! So adorable. I love babies! Thanks for the well wishes guys.....Jewels