Masters Running

TGI Friday Mar 21 Runs and Workouts (Read 744 times)

I don't mean to complain, and I understand that our friends in Alaska and Ontario will roll their eyes at this, but haven't we had enough of winter by now? I'm ready for Spring. (I guess our friends in Florida and Texas will roll their eyes, too). 3 magical healing / active recovery miles today -- nice and easy. It took me longer to get dressed than to do the run. 36F and still windy. Have a great run, weekend, and best of luck to this weekend's racers.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Lou, I am TOTALLY with you on that thought. I can hardly wait for morning temps in the 50’s or 60’s and just being able to throw on a t-shirt and shorts. My legs feel stiff and tired and I woke up with a headache after another night of frantic house-hunting dreams. (sigh) I think this is a good day to rest. I’ll probably do a little core work later though. My boss is out of town, my work is mostly caught up, and both kids are out of school today, so I’m taking off work at lunch to take them out to eat, and may take a nap later. I need some de-stress time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Lou . . . I could not agree more with you! We are gearing up for a winter storm starting around rush hour and lasting until tomorrow morning. It will be a messy long run for me tomorrow. Rest day for me and I do have to go to work on this Good Friday. Sad TTFN! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

The Jogger

Morning Gang Lou nice easy startt if not a bit chilly, well it was here aswell. Holly, it's never a rest when looking for a new home, Mary, you're not alone, I have a late shift to do today...... Anyway: 12m 02:11:30 @ 10:58 pace AHR 146 67% WHR It wasn't a very inviting morning but I got Woody out for the last 4................... Good Runs All Roy
            It wasn't a very inviting morning but I got Woody out for the last 4...................
            Roy, you really need to change your dog's name. I'm just sayin'. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Oh Lou... Big grin Brisky 32 but beautiful full moon giving way to daylight. Nice! 8.2 mi GA run in 1:05:44 (8:01 pace, AHR 157). First 2.2 with Tory at 8:44 then 6 mi at 7:45 (AHR 158..perfect!) Off today.. go HEELS! Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning all, Same here with being totally sick of winter....and more crappy weather this weekend for a lot of the country Angry Lou, I absolutely HATE how long it takes to get dressed when it's cold out...I spend about 30 minutes when it's really cold out. Nice magical healing miles to you also. Holly, hope you have a nice de-stressing day...you deserve it girl...wish I was caught up at work Smile Hi Mary....I have to work too, and probably tomorrow for a few hours also Sad But I don't mind too much when I get my pay check. How does Brinkley handle off days? I did get a run in last night even though my running has been carpy as of late. 10.2 miles and about 8:30 pace. The problem I have been having lately is with my fairly new Polar foot pod system. I have calibrated it 4 times now and when I go for a run it is very accurate...like last Sat. I checked out my distance on Map my fitness to 18 miles. When I finished my run my watched read 18.12 which is very accurate. But Mon's 11 miler was 1 mile short and last nights run was almost 1.5 miles short....I know the exact distances of these routes that I have ran 100's of times. After I thought about it, I tried to think of anyone else I have seen running with a foot pod system in races, or just out running. I have never seen anyone else running with one probably for good reason. The problem last night was I felt like I was running about 8:00 to 8:30 pace, but my watch only showed 9:45 to 10:00 min pace. So I kept pushing more than I should to get my pace down, and was wearing myself out when actually I was running exactly the pace I wanted....hope I didn't confuse you too much Confused Well, I am going to get a GPS watch and consider I just bought an expensive HR monitor and watch with the Polar I bought with the foot pod. Any suggesting would be nice for a reasonable unit with just basic info....I only want to see pace and distance and that all I need. Also on a light note....It's Murphy's law when you go to the most secluded place to use the bathroom, in the middle of a woods, where it doesn't look like another person has been for 100 years, only to have a couple with 2 children and a dog wonder by just when your taking care of business....nuff said Embarrassed Have a great TGIF and runs everyone.....you all rock Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Roy, very nice 12 miler. Your training is going well. Last evening I noticed a slight twinge in my right calf muscle when I walked around. Strange, as I ran an easy recovery run yesterday. At any rate, with all the skiing and running I've been doing my calves are like rocks right now. The calf is nothing really and it's nearly non-existent this morning. But I decided to forgo today's planned 10 miler with negative splits. Tomorrow is another recovery day before Sunday's LR. So tomorrow will help it too. I've been hoping to up the weekly mileage into the high 60's for the last few weeks before taper. But not this week. I'd rather stay injury free. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Checking out of this hotel in a few minutes and doing a session for my client here in the hotel, then cab to O'Hare and no travel for a month! Today is Good Friday, and I thought you would find this interesting: Easter this year is: Sunday March 23, 2008. As you may know, Easter is always the 1st Sunday after the 1st full moon after the Spring Equinox (which is March 20). This dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendar that Hebrew people used to identify Passover, which is why it moves around on our Roman calendar. Based on the above, Easter can actually be one day earlier (March 22) but that is pretty rare. This year is the earliest Easter any of us will ever see the rest of our lives! And only the most elderly of our population have ever seen it this early (95 years old or above!). And none of us have ever, or will ever, see it a day earlier. The next time Easter will be this early (March 23) will be the year 2228 (220 years from now). The last time it was this early was 1913 (so if you're 95 or older, you are the only ones that were around for that!). Back to running, I think I'm headed for a good week of it starting Sunday, feeling good. Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

SR - that is very interesting! Thanks for posting that as I will share it with a few people. Oh Holly - I had those house hunting dreams while in the process too. I found the inspection part being the most stressful as our house was over 100 years old. Went rather smoothly though! Enjoy your afternoon off. Nice 12 miles this morning Roy. I'm always happy to read about Woody running with you. Enjoy your day off too Perch - nice run with Tory this morning! Tim - I would suggest looking for a Forerunner 201 on Ebay. I think there are some great deals out there on them and that'd be all you'd need. Do you have enough room on your arms for all the gadgets? Wink As for Brinkley - he is still ready to get up at 5 a.m. on my rest days. But with just a simple "Lay Down", he settles back in for a little while. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Ultrachick

I'm with you all on the weather-highs in the 20's today with a NW wind in the 20's as well. I'm doing my long run (24m) this afternoon so I can entertain family for Easter brunch. Luckily, a friend is coming with me for 17m of it and then I'll have to go back out for more to finish up. I'm trying to keep my chin up by thinking that the weather could be very similar for Boston and this is good preparation. Who am I kidding-the mountains got a foot of snow!-I should be out skiing this afternoon! Have a good one everybody! Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          Good morning friends, Windy and C-C-Cold run this AM back in Massachusetts. I woke up at the usual 5 AM even though I didn't roll in until after midnight last night. Oh well......it's always nice to be home no matter the arrival time. I switched out the schedule a bit and ran an easy-ish 4 miler at 6:30 AM under slightly overcast skies and a whipping wind chill. I am tired from lack of sleep, but the 'ole legs feel okay. Spareribs---that's interesting about Easter. My grandmother is one who experienced that early Easter as she is 97.5. She does remember women getting the right to vote, the Red Sox winning in 1918, and even more. I'll have to ask her about early Easter too! She was a toddler and while her memory is still razor sharp, that might be a stretch. Thinking about Vista and his brother and hoping that the medical attention was immediate. Holly, breathe, breathe....hoping that the news on both sides of the home selling transaction turns out well. The kiddo has a half-day of school today. I have tons of work to plow through, but the glory of consulting is that I can close my in-home office at noon and fetch him from school. We have a tradition of going to a local diner (the Miss Florence Diner) on his half-days. I am dreaming about an omelette already! Good days and runs to all CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #957

At any rate, with all the skiing and running I've been doing my calves are like rocks right now.
                            ...swoon!......... Spareribs - that is fascinating, thank you! I had to call my son up and read that to him, because he is also a lover of that sort of trivia. CNYrunner - that diner sounds great. It'll probably just be McDonalds for us.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

SR - that is very interesting! Thanks for posting that as I will share it with a few people. Tim - I would suggest looking for a Forerunner 201 on Ebay. I think there are some great deals out there on them and that'd be all you'd need. Do you have enough room on your arms for all the gadgets? Wink As for Brinkley - he is still ready to get up at 5 a.m. on my rest days. But with just a simple "Lay Down", he settles back in for a little while. ~Mary
                              Thanks Mary....I ordered a new 201 for $129.00 which I will have Monday Smile Is it easy to use, or is there a 500 page manual Confused Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

SteveP

Here's something to keep in mind while house hunting Holly. http://theshadowlands.net/places/ohio.htm I'll be sittin on my butt doing coffee cup curls, yet I'm getting Boston Fever Sweet day today. May not be a ruuning day though. Early AM dd#2 calls. DD#3 made her breakfast in bed. DD#1 calls..We're all getting together to color eggs. DD#2 calls. DD#3 locked DD#2 into the bedroom (hook and eye latch) accidently before leaving for work. I called DD#3 and we both craked up bad. She only works two blocks away...no big deal. Phone rings and I have a job interview Tuesday AM in Elk Rapids.

SteveP