Masters Running

Great thread we ALL can relate too..funny also (Read 386 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

This one made me think of you Tim:
      - Take two or more alleves daily to mask whatever pain you might be feeling. - Whatever you do, don't cancel any upcoming races. Any wuss can run a race pain-free, but it takes a true athlete to complete a race in a lot of pain.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

Hey! I resemble that remark! Blush

Marathon Maniac #3309

This one made me think of you Tim:
          Yeah, that one stuck out to me also Big grin..well, it's really not funny... Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

I liked "Maybe when I get older, I'll listen to the voice of reason. Oh..wait a minute...I am older." A question for those of you who are injured: when would you actually consider bagging a race? Or dropping from a full to a half marathon, or some shorter distance if it was offered?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Too funny! Wildchild - In answer to your question, if my coach told me he'd kill me unless I did otherwise. Smile

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

A question for those of you who are injured: when would you actually consider bagging a race? Or dropping from a full to a half marathon, or some shorter distance if it was offered?
                When my foot falls off and duct tape won't hold it back on...seriously Roll eyes My coach hasn't threatened to kill me yet though Tongue Foot still really hurts TimBo

TammyinGP

A question for those of you who are injured: when would you actually consider bagging a race? Or dropping from a full to a half marathon, or some shorter distance if it was offered?
                  That's what I did this past May at Eugene. I registered for the full and about a month out, I dropped my status to the Half. I knew I couldn't do the full due to a leg injury I got after an 18 miler and knew I couldn't get in any longer runs. As it turned out that was the smart thing to do because even at the HM, I flared up the ITBS, which hadn't bothered me for over 1.5 yrs. I never would have been able to complete the full. I might be disappointed to bag a race I'd been looking forward to but I would still do it if I had an injury or in my gut I know I'd be risking an exacerbation of an injury. I have to stay focused on my desire to run for the long term, rather then just pound it out at a race, knowing I'm putting myself at risk for an injury that will sideline me for an extended period of time.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

I just erased everything Tammy just said out of my mind

TammyinGP

That was easy now wasn't it Tim? Heck, my husband does it to me all the time. that didn't sound right did it? I'm going back to the hottub now. Cool

Tammy

That was easy now wasn't it Tim? Heck, my husband does it to me all the time.
                        Now that was funny! Big grin Big grin Big grin
                        evanflein

Wildchild, to answer your question... I don't know. I've run injured before. I ran Napa when I really shoudn't have. Ditto with the Equinox later that same year (2006). Each one was a learning experience, but they really helped me learn how NOT to get injured. Now I've got this foot thing, and I've "managed" it all year but it's never really gone away. Would not running make it go away? Well, maybe, but most likely not. I'm now at the point where I'm facing a possible DNF. But I won't be a DNS...! I tend to be goal oriented, bull-headed and so focused on achieving my goal I put some things on ignore to get it done. Obviously you can't do that forever. One of these days I'll develop the good sense for myself that I preach to others... Roll eyes

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wildchild, to answer your question... I don't know. I've run injured before. I ran Napa when I really shoudn't have. Ditto with the Equinox later that same year (2006). Each one was a learning experience, but they really helped me learn how NOT to get injured. Now I've got this foot thing, and I've "managed" it all year but it's never really gone away. Would not running make it go away? Well, maybe, but most likely not. I'm now at the point where I'm facing a possible DNF. But I won't be a DNS...! I tend to be goal oriented, bull-headed and so focused on achieving my goal I put some things on ignore to get it done. Obviously you can't do that forever. One of these days I'll develop the good sense for myself that I preach to others... Roll eyes
                            Erika, what you said is an exact shadow of how I am...don't know if it's right or not, but.... I like the DNS vs the DNF...that's my attitude too....again, don't know whether that is good or bad thing right now. Geez, I am going through an emotional roller coaster right now....glad you are all along for the ride... Bob seems to be the only sane one right now! Hey Bob, thanks for Emailing me Amy's list. Great thing about important lists....is when you forget, and leave it at work when you need it, lol. Another 10 years, and I will have no brain cells left.... Erika, I will be thinking about you during my little 26.2 mile adventure. Tim

Top 'O the World!

I'm not really supposed to answer this am I?!?! Big grin Evil grin
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                                This hits close to home. Hearing of others with the same attitudes that I have is both scary and comforting. Not necesarily smart, but it's always nice to have company. TomS