Masters Running

My running path got narrower... a trail race RR (Read 281 times)

Mariposai

The short version: First trail iron race for my butterfly wings…21.7 miles (22.14 per my garmin). The Sunflower Relay and Iron Event takes place in the lovely Methow Valley, WA. The trail begins at 1900 feet, with two climbs to 2600 feet and a quick drop to the finish line at about 1600 feet. My goal: to finish it under 5:00 hours. Finish Time: 4:46:21 Fashion report: New Balance Capri tights, Eugene 2007 finisher shirt, Eugene cap, butterfly earrings, earth tone lipstick and Red Door perfume. The long version:-warning this is long... I have known about this event for many years, but I never felt I was fit enough to tackle it since the course has a huge elevation gain and a mean descent to the finish line. But after all my winter training this year I felt that I was ready to spread my wings and try to iron the event, even when I just ran a marathon two weeks ago. So, I studied the course, the elevation gain and losses and crafted a plan that would work for me. My goal was to just aim at running from one leg of the race to the next (somehow my mind was accepting this idea over the idea of running 22 miles so soon after a marathon). My plan was well imprinted in my memory, so this morning when it came time to implement it, I was ready for it. The Course This unique course begins at 1900 feet elevation in Mazama and includes deer trails, cow paths, bike routes and paved roads. I took in stunning views of the Methow River, North Cascades and Chelan Sawtooths and flower carpeted meadows and fields. At two points racers climb to 2600 feet and drop quickly to the finish at about 1600 feet in Twisp. Total race length is 21.7 miles. The Scenery was absolutely breath taking (sorry no pictures, I forgot my camera in the car) The balsam roots, blue bells, penstemon, and others were at their best as if they were showing off and giving their “salud” to the runner. I saw several deer, a grouse, heard so many birds singing their beautiful songs as I myself was trying to sing my own rendition of Cielito Lindo and other favorite songs that always come to mind when I am in the woods. The implementation of the plan:( the leg description from the website is in bold) Leg 1: 3.1 miles, moderately difficult: the race starts at this quaint farm that is used as a Bed and Breakfast. How nice of the owners to allow 300+ runners to invade their privacy. After some housekeeping the announcer said…”good luck runners” and off we went. Then they say moderate to difficult they were not joking. After a flat start, the trail took us up to a steady climb crossing snowy meadows and fallen trees. My focus was to keep a steady pace and not take off too fast since this was my first trail run of the year. At one point on this leg we ran along Patterson Lake, which is a favorite fishing hole for the locals. I waved at the fishermen as I passed by. The trail here was along the bench above the lake. Leg 2: 4 miles, moderately difficult: actually this was one of the easiest legs, just nice and gentle ups and downs along Forest Service roads. I have skied in this area before so it was fun to be running in this area. At this point I was just focusing on forms, trying to stay relaxed, stay hydrated and keep the fuel in control since the weather was starting to warm up. This relaxed, steady pace allowed me to stay calm and in control (well sort-of) when the next leg and the first monster hill came up. Leg 3: 4.4 miles, difficult, strong runner required: When I say monster I am not kidding. When I saw the incline, my heart beat a bit faster at what was coming up. The trail in t his section is so steep that even walking it kept my HR above 170. I knew that this is where the rubber met the road for me. I could get a ride back to town at the next intersection or toughen up and keep going. I choose the later. Just a steady, relaxed pace took me to the next leg. I was never so happy to finish 4 miles in my life. Leg 4: 2.3 miles, easy, good for young runner: this was not only the easiest leg, but also the one with the most wild flowers and young trees. Here I just cruised and even kept a MP during the whole leg. The trail here was muddy and one could even see a few snow patches at the side of the trail. The valley here was awe-inspiring. Leg 5: 2.8 miles, difficult: Just as I was getting really in to a faster pace, there came the next monster hill. By this time the legs were trashed and a bit wobbly. I took another Gu (for which my stomach did not thank me for) and started my slow ascent to the top. My mind seriously was in the “zone mode” here…the sunflowers tried to inspire me…but the body was too uncomfortable to enjoy it. Eventually I conquered the hill and came to the summit. The hard labor was worth it since when I came to top of the hill the view of the Sawtooth range greeted me with its splendor. The trail here took us by a lake; we ran through private property, had to go over cattle guards and pass through wire fences. The hip was not happy to bend down to go through the fence. At this point I took another Gu, and once again I was reminded that I need to figure out another source of fuel for my long runs since my stomach does not accept the Gu once it is stressed out. Leg 6: 5.1 miles, very difficult, extreme downhill sections: At the aid station they told us that all is downhill from here. The mind was happy to hear this and I was just gliding down the trail until I came up to a bend and what did I see?…another hill, and another fence to bend down to cross (as I was crossing the fence, I overheard another runner praying “Hail Mary” aloud. I probably would have done the same, if I new the prayer. By this time the muscles on the hip and legs were so tight that bending down was a torture. The trail dipped down, straight downward to the finish line. The quads hurt, the toes hurt, but the beauty of the land made me forget all of this and allowed me to drink in the beauty of my surroundings. My heart was filled with joy and I cried because I was so thankful for the gift of running. My thoughts: It was interesting to see my thought pattern as I ran in the wild. Sometimes I let random thoughts come into my mind such as what I did yesterday or what I wanted to do tomorrow. Most of the time I maintain a conscious connection with my body so I can continue moving forward with a sense of effortlessness, comfort, and natural flow. I concentrated on my breathing; the relationship of my feet to the ground; the position of my hands; my arms; my jaw; and constantly monitored the sights, sounds and feelings of the world around me. I did not let my mind be preoccupied on how much more I had to run; the steepness of the next leg or whether I should push it much harder. I was able to maintain this awareness through the whole race. This, my friend, was a huge victory for me. Thanks for reading and for being my: fellow" in the journey of running.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dear ultra-nancy - Even though I've only done the 11 mile Cutthroat version later (in August), your personalizing the race description of the Sunflower makes it somehow seem so strangely familiar as if I had run it too. However, though the Sunflower is not an ultra by its 21.7 mile distance, based on the number of Marathon Maniacs who go over there and take longer to do it than their marathons, you're an honorary ultra goddess with such a marathonesque time on such an ultraesque course. It's full-fledged and not honorary though to tackle the Sunflower's steep ascents/descents for your first mountain trail run. Your rr's are such a delight always coming from your heart but you have guts too. sugoi! - jon

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Beautiful report, Mari! What a tremendous achievement, and just 2 weeks after a marathon - you are amazing! I've always wanted to do a run like this. I only wish you lived closer so I could share it with you. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Mariposai!!! What a blessed RR!!!! Trail races are kewl!! Thanks for the RR

SteveP

HermosaBoy

WOW!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Great report -- I liked the long version best. Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

WOW!! What an adventure! Congratulations on this very tough and beautiful course! And what a great report. I can feel the spiritualness (is that a word?) in your descriptions of the course and your thoughts! Beautiful! "Fashion report: New Balance Capri tights, Eugene 2007 finisher shirt, Eugene cap, butterfly earrings, earth tone lipstick and Red Door perfume." You had me at "Eugene 2007 finisher shirt". Big grin
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              huskydon

Very impressive run! You are a strong runner, for sure. Thanks for the "just like we were there" report, too! huskydon
                coastwalker

Hi , What a great RR, and a great race! Congratulations on handily beating your goal time, especially on your first trail run of the year, and only 2 weeks after a marathon! You did a great job of not getting sucked into the head games that can make a good race go bad. Even with hip and other pains, you kept your head in a good place, and kept those legs churning and turning. Metho Valley sounds like a gorgeous place for a race, and wasn't it nice to have all that beautiful scenery to enjoy as the miles disappeared under your feet? Congratulations! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Beautiful race report for a wonderfully run trail race. Your butterfly wings carried you over even the monster hills with grace and strength. Congratulations and thank you for taking us along. Your description makes everything everything so vivd. I could picture some of this it seemed! Great running and take good care of you now as you work toward your next plans. Marvelous! Karin/CNYrunner
                    evanflein

Dear Nancy, thanks so much for taking us along on this wonderful adventure! Pictures would've been nice, but we didn't really need them with your vivid and detailed description. Way to HTFU on Leg 3 and go on to finish this race. I sure wish I could do one of these with you... Sounds like an excellent course and event.
                      wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome race and report! Sounds like a beautiful place for a run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

arf

MM #405

Beautiful! I KNEW you would love running this! Congrats on a GREAT race! You are tough as nails! miss you, arf Smile
                          dg.

Nancy, what an accomplishment, in so many ways!!! Congratulaions. thank you for such a beautiful report. Besides the trail descriptions, there's much in there to learn from.

Maniac 505

Mari: Thanks for the RR and description of a beautiful area and beautiful race. so glad this went so well for you. sounds like a killer trail race so soon after a marathon. Congrats. Dave

The Jogger

Mari, I love running hilly trails and even raced on them but not that distance. I can identify so much with that report, especially the hill and 170HR walking. You are a trooper, well done Roy