Masters Running

40's + Beyond ~ A Lot to be Thankful for !!! w/e 11/30 (Read 482 times)

jfa

Very much a Philadelphia feeling for me so here's a couple favorites - A life of leisure and a life of laziness are two things. There will be sleeping enough in the grave. ~B.Franklin and of course,the best one , Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ~ B.Franklin Well kids, get a load of this, I freekin' did it! As hard as I thought that would be, it was much more brutal than that! I'm feeling good now, but I struggled a bit.... here's the long and short of it in the racing forum-- http://www.runningahead.com/forums/forum/82fab177f92544f69e57ebcd948d004f The encouragement and comraderie that I get from this thread helped pull me along! You guys were a bunch of cheerleaders and I thought about you during the race! No sweat posting my time Kelly, I'm pretty proud of it! As you can read all did not go completely well but I'll take it.I hit my second time goal ( under 4:30). I learned a ton. Both about running and about myself. It's amazing how during these races,the crowds can be so large but everyone is dealing with their own little private hell. The race was very well run and was a beautiful course along the Schuylkill River. It was cold but I dressed right in poly track pants, poly singlet,short sleeve short,long sleeve shirt,t-shirt on the outside.I wasn't cold during the race. I was very cold however,after the race.I was not smart enough to leave dry clothes for after and would have really froze and struggled to walk back to the hotel ( 1.5 m away) Lucky for me that my Dad and Uncle were at the finish and gave me a ride back to the hotel and meet back with Donna. We also had a splendid anniversary weekend seeing the sites of Philly and dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe.Our fancy hotel worked out great too. Donna was able to simply walk outside the front door, and see me go by at about mile 6.2. Then she went back in( only 25* outside) and had a nice hot breakfast and waited.The finish area was too far away and unreachable close up by car. So all in all, like I said, I have a lot to be Thankful for!!! Thanks again for all the support! I reckon I'll sleep puuurrriiitty good tonight!! Cheers Smile

Woot woot Joe.....congrats, I commented on the RR forum and I'm so glad I didn't jinx you. Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Congrats Joe! It's fitting that you start us off for another week. A lot to be thankful for....yes, indeed.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Congrats also Joe, a job well done!! MTA did 8 in a figure 8 around our home section and another one to the south, half trail half gravel road. kicked my butt pretty good. Hope to catch back up with ya this week. Kinda lost today, don't know where to start. I have equipment to fix and clean up, grain to monitor and lots of little jobs that got put off etc. and also some bookwork inside. Have a good week folks.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

YEA, JOE!! I haven't had a chance to read your race report yet, but 4:25:03?!? 1 hr of core/strength this a.m. Was suppose to be 3 miles, as well, but I was really tired all day yesterday and couldn't drag myself out of bed this a.m. Farmer Jim - Good work on the 8 miles. . . . plus all the "cross training" you and Lynda have been putting in over the past few weeks. Short work week for me this week. Hopefully, we're closed by noon on Wednesday, then off Thurs and Fri. Sweet! Later, Compadres! MTA - Hi Jewels! We musta been postin' at the same time. Smile

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good job on the 8 miler Jim! Last weeks thread had Leslie doing 17 miles at a fabulous pace, Evryday gettin' in a nice 9 miler, Carol getting in an 8 miler and dog walkin', Kelly crankin' away on a daily basis and feelin' better each day, I got a good 2 hr. run in, Arla having some great mileage and Cindy checkin' in Blackberry style inbetween massage clients! Last but not least Joe's marathon....26.2! That's alot of miles for everyone.....must have been something in the air like......cool weather maybe? Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Queen of 3rd Place

Congrats to Joe on a successful marathon, and Jim for bringin' home the bacon! You've both earned a well-deserved rest - Jim I'd bet some of those wrappin' it up type chores can be done in their time... Joe - man, you were so well-prepared but then you still had a that strain, you're making me worried, I'm not nearly as well-prepared as you...any insight? Do you think you went out too fast, or just one of those things? Big Workout #2 (of 4) is in the bag - I felt that one - 18 mi a little too fast maybe, I was tired the rest of the day and a little achy in the evening. No Ibu needed however. Big grin Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hey Folks!! Just trying to catch up on reading (much easier on the laptop than the Blueberry Tongue) Congratulations again Joe! Yes & Happy Anniversary to you both! No way you could jinx anybody Jewels! Wink Congrats too to you Jim & Lynda - just in time for the holidays! been worried about cha!...who is that in your avatar pic?? ......sitting here feeling a minor bit achy bodied this am...curled up in a fluffy bathrobe w/vitamin I & herb tea.....I really had thought wrastlin' w/dbl pieces of 4'X8' sheets of gypsum board, 2X4's & 14 lb drills overhead was enough cross-training for the week...but then I had a "vision"...A truly more creative expression of intelligence & strength!....this would be one of those activities best captured by amateur home video..(the kind you send in to Bill Engvall!)...you see, the resort where I'm currently intending on hanging out for the season has been undertaking some remodeling in prep for the upcoming season....in these endeavors, they removed all of those big entertainment armoires & TV's, etc...& had them all (in chunks - as they progressed floor by floor) sitting out by a very large dumpster, (most of this process, I'd missed by not yet being present - Thank God!) & a very small sign near the front entrance driveway announcing that these things were "free" for a limited time....meaning that anything not claimed & carted away by a specified time, were smashed & tossed into the dumpster each week by trash day....nice.big.heavy.entertainment.armoires!! How cool!! so I "claimed" one...(thankfully, one of the "smaller" ones - if there really is such a thing!) Thinking this would be an awesome addition to the mtn house, which was built w/o a linen closet....I called Doug, who (for the second consec. wknd) borrowed a shop truck & hurried up here as fast as he could, post work...(poor guy hasn't had a day off in two weeks!)Now! how shall I say?...my first moment of apprehension occurred as the two of us wiggled it towards/around the back of the pk, & then tipped/wrastled it onto the bed.... now I remembered seeing the resort crew moving them w/a forklift! Surprised Holy Crap this thing's heavy!! & totally filled the bed of the pk! This is also the point where (now that I've committed him to my insanity) I yield management to the manly skills & leadership required by these types of "projects" - & Doug is now "in charge" of all engineering details....(we really needed two more men to make this more "reasonable" project...but I'm not sayin' anything!) Of course, I did suggest a stop for burgers & beer before proceeding directly to the finale, where Doug asked me (once) what I had in mind for it...I'm thinking (& it would've been the easiest solution) to replace a fairly cheap & dilapidated armoire & put it on the ground floor - which is a walkout basement. (The "main" floor is the 2nd floor)..Guess he forgot that during the 45 min drive from Breckenridge to the house....& probably what an 'adventure" we'd had during the Summer moving a large (not quite as large as this!) refrigerator to the main floor! & that was w/the help of DS#1 - who is not present tonight! 'Cause he backed the pk up to the stairs first thing! "Are you sure?" Eww! These are "cabin stairs" ~ wooden planks, rising fairly quickly for six & making a sharp (small landing where we needed to turn the damned thing!) right turn, up 8-10 more to a 4' space of the side of the deck adjoining a glass centered door...It's very dark (NO street lights!) & we prefer wimpy side lights in deference to our star-gazing neighbors & there are LARGE rocks decoratively placed at the bottom, adjacent to the side of the stairs (I will remember these at a key point of "turning" it!) & of course, two large black dogs there to 'cheer us on"! .... Staring up @ the door as Doug attached the utility cart to the armoire, I experienced enough adrenaline to effectively start my stomach to doing fearful flip flops...I asked him again if he was sure..."Oh, yeah. We can get this!" Oh yeah?! takes us three tries just to tip it! then we've gotta move it uphill on our non-paved approach to the bottom of the stairs ....& that was the easy part! three breath pause for each step...to the landing...which pinned Doug briefly, trying to turn it enough to get him out, we both lost our balance briefly!! Shocked I experienced that scared shiteless moment of time where I'm positive I'm about to die ~ or at least experience severe pain crushed btwn the armoire & the pretty rocks right behind me!!...(where IS my cussing support team when I need 'em?!) & pushed!! Doug (I can't see him, but I think he was kinda up on the railing!) pulled...Somehow, I dunno know how, we got it back up & turned...then (while it could sit unattended for a coupla minutes) we traded places so I could pull (yeah, right! - I don't know about you, but this is where I feel about as strong as overcooked pasta!) while Doug pushed the next set of stairs..then.."ummm, could you hold it there for a moment there while I put the dogs away & open the door - before we fall through it?" okay, be fast....then, after all that - the 2" threshold almost did us in! finally got it in the house & collapsed on the floor laughing - shaky & sweaty. Holy Crap! Once in the house, we realized that, due to its size, our options of where to put it were, shall we say, 'limited!" By midnight, we had thoroughly cleaned & rearranged the living room & now have it fully ensconced as it was indeed originally intended- an entertainment center complete w/the TV & other media devices...I'm still finding strange bruises today.....A small bit of humor: DS#1, who lives 'unintentionally' rent free in our mtn house, made the exasperated comment just the day before, in reference to us doing some finishing work & settling some of my things back in...that, we were "always moving stuff!" & I said "we were not! nothing significant anyway!" Big grin....sitting & looking at this massive piece of furniture, & how we had to move everything to accommodate it...well!! Yes Wink
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Thanks for the laughs, Cindy! Glad you guys both survived. And I believe it was the burgers and beer that provided the super human strength, right? Big grin Jut got done chattin' with the boss who will remain my boss after the first of the year. I tell ya, it's gonna truly suck when he decides to retire and I have to go back to the Real World of Work. He wants to change the hours of operation from 8:30-5:00 to 9:00-5:00. I told him I'd already made this change on the answering machine since none of us seems capable of arriving before 8:45 or so. Plus, he wants to close at noon on Fridays. Shocked Wha?? Let me see. . . twist my arm . . . just. . . a little . . . bit . . . more . . . oh alright! And if nothin' major is happening on a Monday, come in, oh, sometime after 9:00. God, I love this man!! Big grin Big grin (don't tell his wife or my hub Wink )

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey Folks!! Just trying to catch up on reading (much easier on the laptop than the Blueberry Tongue) Congratulations again Joe! Yes & Happy Anniversary to you both! No way you could jinx anybody Jewels! Wink Congrats too to you Jim & Lynda - just in time for the holidays! been worried about cha!...who is that in your avatar pic?? ......sitting here feeling a minor bit achy bodied this am...curled up in a fluffy bathrobe w/vitamin I & herb tea.....I really had thought wrastlin' w/dbl pieces of 4'X8' sheets of gypsum board, 2X4's & 14 lb drills overhead was enough cross-training for the week...but then I had a "vision"...A truly more creative expression of intelligence & strength!....this would be one of those activities best captured by amateur home video..(the kind you send in to Bill Engvall!)...you see, the resort where I'm currently intending on hanging out for the season has been undertaking some remodeling in prep for the upcoming season....in these endeavors, they removed all of those big entertainment armoires & TV's, etc...& had them all (in chunks - as they progressed floor by floor) sitting out by a very large dumpster, (most of this process, I'd missed by not yet being present - Thank God!) & a very small sign near the front entrance driveway announcing that these things were "free" for a limited time....meaning that anything not claimed & carted away by a specified time, were smashed & tossed into the dumpster each week by trash day....nice.big.heavy.entertainment.armoires!! How cool!! so I "claimed" one...(thankfully, one of the "smaller" ones - if there really is such a thing!) Thinking this would be an awesome addition to the mtn house, which was built w/o a linen closet....I called Doug, who (for the second consec. wknd) borrowed a shop truck & hurried up here as fast as he could, post work...(poor guy hasn't had a day off in two weeks!)Now! how shall I say?...my first moment of apprehension occurred as the two of us wiggled it towards/around the back of the pk, & then tipped/wrastled it onto the bed.... now I remembered seeing the resort crew moving them w/a forklift! Surprised Holy Crap this thing's heavy!! & totally filled the bed of the pk! This is also the point where (now that I've committed him to my insanity) I yield management to the manly skills & leadership required by these types of "projects" - & Doug is now "in charge" of all engineering details....(we really needed two more men to make this more "reasonable" project...but I'm not sayin' anything!) Of course, I did suggest a stop for burgers & beer before proceeding directly to the finale, where Doug asked me (once) what I had in mind for it...I'm thinking (& it would've been the easiest solution) to replace a fairly cheap & dilapidated armoire & put it on the ground floor - which is a walkout basement. (The "main" floor is the 2nd floor)..Guess he forgot that during the 45 min drive from Breckenridge to the house....& probably what an 'adventure" we'd had during the Summer moving a large (not quite as large as this!) refrigerator to the main floor! & that was w/the help of DS#1 - who is not present tonight! 'Cause he backed the pk up to the stairs first thing! "Are you sure?" Eww! These are "cabin stairs" ~ wooden planks, rising fairly quickly for six & making a sharp (small landing where we needed to turn the damned thing!) right turn, up 8-10 more to a 4' space of the side of the deck adjoining a glass centered door...It's very dark (NO street lights!) & we prefer wimpy side lights in deference to our star-gazing neighbors & there are LARGE rocks decoratively placed at the bottom, adjacent to the side of the stairs (I will remember these at a key point of "turning" it!) & of course, two large black dogs there to 'cheer us on"! .... Staring up @ the door as Doug attached the utility cart to the armoire, I experienced enough adrenaline to effectively start my stomach to doing fearful flip flops...I asked him again if he was sure..."Oh, yeah. We can get this!" Oh yeah?! takes us three tries just to tip it! then we've gotta move it uphill on our non-paved approach to the bottom of the stairs ....& that was the easy part! three breath pause for each step...to the landing...which pinned Doug briefly, trying to turn it enough to get him out, we both lost our balance briefly!! Shocked I experienced that scared shiteless moment of time where I'm positive I'm about to die ~ or at least experience severe pain crushed btwn the armoire & the pretty rocks right behind me!!...(where IS my cussing support team when I need 'em?!) & pushed!! Doug (I can't see him, but I think he was kinda up on the railing!) pulled...Somehow, I dunno know how, we got it back up & turned...then (while it could sit unattended for a coupla minutes) we traded places so I could pull (yeah, right! - I don't know about you, but this is where I feel about as strong as overcooked pasta!) while Doug pushed the next set of stairs..then.."ummm, could you hold it there for a moment there while I put the dogs away & open the door - before we fall through it?" okay, be fast....then, after all that - the 2" threshold almost did us in! finally got it in the house & collapsed on the floor laughing - shaky & sweaty. Holy Crap! Once in the house, we realized that, due to its size, our options of where to put it were, shall we say, 'limited!" By midnight, we had thoroughly cleaned & rearranged the living room & now have it fully ensconced as it was indeed originally intended- an entertainment center complete w/the TV & other media devices...I'm still finding strange bruises today.....A small bit of humor: DS#1, who lives 'unintentionally' rent free in our mtn house, made the exasperated comment just the day before, in reference to us doing some finishing work & settling some of my things back in...that, we were "always moving stuff!" & I said "we were not! nothing significant anyway!" Big grin....sitting & looking at this massive piece of furniture, & how we had to move everything to accommodate it...well!! Yes Wink
                      whewh....I'm exhausted!!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        I have a great uncle who is a retired physicist. He was a contract worker with the government at the Navel Air Weapons Station China Lake in Ridgecrest, CA. He was a head rat on things like the stealth bomber, stealth helicopter, etc. He was literally but a couple of steps removed from the Secretary of Defense during his later years of employment. Extremely smart - married into the family Wink - but able to communicate with us regular folk. Love him to death. As I said, he's retired now, but his mind is constantly on the go, and I get to be one of the recipients of some of the things he ponders, such as: Does anybody out there have any memory of the reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY during the Carter Administration? Anybody? Anything? No? Didn't think so. Bottom line... we've spent several hundred billion dollars in support of an agency the reason for which not one person who reads this can remember. Ready? It was very simple, and at the time everybody thought it very appropriate. The Department of Energy was instituted 8-04-1977 TO LESSEN OUR DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL. Hey, pretty efficient, huh? And now it's 2008, 31 years later, and the budget for this necessary department is at $24.2 BILLION A YEAR, THEY HAVE 16,000 FEDERAL EMPLOYEES, AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES AND LOOK AT THE JOB THEY HAVE DONE! THIS IS WHERE YOU SMACK YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY 'WHAT WAS I THINKING?' Ah yes, good ol' bureaucracy, and now we are going to turn the banking system over to them? God Help us!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Ummm, yup....think I remember the "Energy Crisis" of the 70's....& the following "Farm Crisis" that wiped out a large portion of our family farms in the early 80's...the S&L crash of the late 80's....mega companies exploding overnight & swallowing each other through the 90's....anybody see a pattern??? Oh yeah, you said "energy".....http://www.energy.gov/
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            First of all. Woooohhhoooooo Joe!!!!! Great marathon and wonderful weekend for you! If you are ready to consider another one, that speaks volumes. Hope your hip issue resolves quickly with some well deserved rest. Cindy, LOL, you two crack me up! But let's face it....free is GOOD. I recently snagged an unused area rug from a neighbor's trash that goes perfectly in our house. I even talked to her about it whilst snagging it. But...um...it was much easier to "install" than your mega entertainment center. What's that I hear...Evryday is volunteering to come and help? Arla, great job on the 18 miler! Sounds like your base is pretty solid too. And besides, it beats grading those papers. Leslie, ride that flexible employment wave! I see some Friday long runs in your future Smile Jewels...yep...that cooler weather is awesome for running. Makes me want to move into Cindy's mountain house, along with everyone else Big grin. I went to that DOE website. Now what would we do without rocket science like the "Energy Tip" that I found there? "During the heating season, keep the draperies and shades on your south facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows." How would we have ever figured that out Roll eyes, LOL?? I actually hope that we see more oversight on some things that can't seem to govern themselves due to G-R-E-E-D, but you're right....the track record for gov't oversight is not good at all! Oh, no run today...had an early client meeting. Did get out for a walk with hubby (off this week) and two of our dogs this evening. Planning a nice run in the morning though, and then hopefully the Ft Worth YMCA turkey trot 10K on Thurs.
                            Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

Hi All, a little sore today but happy to see everyone running, working ,and in Cindy's case, pretending to be SuperWoman!!! Jewels- No jinx ,just tightness.Thanks for keeping track! About the time you posted that (10:31) I still had more than hour to go and was still on my goal pace! Did your Sis talk you into the Turkey Trot? Carol- Good Luck with your TurkeyTrot! Have a nice run then eat all you want,guilt free! Arla- Good going on the 18 !!! What a feeling of accomplishment as you climb the ladder.The confidence gained from those really long runs really helped me.To answer your question, I think I could have loosened up more before the race.I feel I could have held my pace without the strain,even though it was a slightly faster pace than any of my longest training runs. Jim- Glad your stuff is really in the barn! Just a metaphor for us but for you, your well being. Rest up and continue the good runs. Isn't it getting close to that Fla vacation time of year? Nice avatar! Is that you? Leslie- 17miler , Sweet! I agree with you about these government dept's, the less the better!They become a vortex that has to keep fueling itself and once they're created,they never go away.Your new hours sound very appealing. Cindy- are you sure that the altitude at that mountain house doesn't do some funny things to you guys? Simply incredible.It's awesome to see people who just refuse to say " I can't do that".WTG and I'm glad you both came out of it in one peice! Hey Evryday- good going with your running,you're looking very consistent.Time to tell your Cowboys to let up a bit. Feeling pretty good today though the parts are quite sore.A good charliehorse as well as the tight hip on the left side but it's not that bad. Nothing a little rest won't take care of anyway.All the well wishes and pats on the back from you guys really helped make this a special and very memorable race for me, so Thanks once again! Smile

Yes, look at everyone go! Joe, hope your "parts" feel better soon, but for now some well deserved rest timed along w/ the holiday is good. Just a quick post...skipped running this morning but planning on a lunchtime 5 miles or so. Ahhh...the benefits of working from home are good, though I'm behind on just about everything. But it is a beautiful fall sunshiny day here. Not to be missed Smile
                                Progress Trumps Pefection