Masters Running

Thursday 12/11 Runs & What not (Read 565 times)

I know this is the Thursday thread but I will still post last nights run here, things are so hectic for me right now it is hard to keep up with my posts etc. And I'm off in a few minutes for a full day of training today in Portland. Wednesday - 7.05 miles - 51:12 - 7:16 - 50 degrees and rain. 1 mile warm up - 8 x .5 mile intervals w/1:30 recovery .15 - 1 mile warm down. 8:01 - 3:10 - 1:30 - 3:08 - 1:30 - 3:07 - 1:30 - 3:07 - 1:30 - 3:10 - 1:30 - 3:06 - 1:30 - 3:07 - 1:30 - 3:01 - 7:45 Have a great day all - brrrr - 20 degrees colder this morning than yesterday. Shocked

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi Maine!! Nice run last night and it is nice to see you starting us off. Speaking of starting us off .... where is ROY?? Sorry to say that I never made in the treadmill last night. I know, surprise, surprise!! I'm just feeling a bit blah for a few days, stomach cramps and such - so I wrapped presents until I was done. This morning I did get on the blasted thing - but only for 2.25 slow miles, then some of those walking lunges on full incline at 1.0 speed. Those are actually kind of fun! Then 300 crunches, some leg lifts and 30 push ups. So, I'm not a total slacker this morning!! Happy Thursday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Yea, where is Roy? I had a bloody good run today.. 6 miles in 52:03 (8:41, AHR155). At about mile 5 of running in light rain with no cap and glasses hard to see through, I missed seeing a median at the interstate on ramp and flew "into home", small cut on one hand and really skinned up leg. I arrived at the Holiday Inn Express lobby with my leg covered in blood and asked for a bandaid. They fixed me up with gauze and wrap. All ok now. bet it burns all day. This is the second time I've wiped out since I started running. Nothing serious...

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Wow - Perch - that could have been a lot worse. Glad you're okay. When you said "bloody good run" you werent' kidding! Mary - good job this morning. I could use some of your mojo today. I did manage 4.5 on the dreadmill but it was one of those runs where you just want it to be over, and I haven't had many of those lately. I think our weather has something to do with it - no sun for several day. But, at least I can run so I'm dedicating this one to my friend Tim, who can't. We got your back, friend! Have a great day, everyone.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning Gang... Heck Bob, never worry about when you post your runs. The important thing is that we see how well you are doing! Very nice workout BTW, and fast paces. Mary Mary Mary...do I need to send you some of my extra - unused motivation again girl....beleive me, I have PLENTY to share. But great job on the X Training this morning...wow, 300 crunches! Glad you are ok Steve after your tumble. As usual, greta run for you. Jlynne, thanks for dedicating your run to me...that is really cool and kind Smile. Way to get some miles in, even if on the dreadmill. Hey Holly...how'd you do that...you know what I mean, thanks Smile Again Teresa, great job on your 1000 miles Cool Ok Erika, you definitely had a viable excuse yesterday.....moose Smile In a little better spirits this morning hoping for "maybe" a little better diagnoses on my stoopid foot tomorrow. Went to the Y last night and pool ran for an hour, then lap swam hard for 30 more minutes to get my HR up. Hey Erika, I plain just can't get my HR much above 100 bpm pool running, no matter how hard I try. But regardless, I assume this is still a good workout right? BTW, boy this pool running with the chlorine in the water, sure keeps my running shoes looking like new. What's really bad with my foot, is it's still black and blue even after 6 weeks off. And I have this HUGH vein that had has developed on the back of my leg at the Achilles tendon / heel area. The foot doctor said that this is my body's way of trying to supply more blood to help it recover. Hope everyone has a wonderful day. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A rest day for me after having run 5 days in a row. A messy storm is headed up our way, and DS is supposed to fly out early tomorrow morning to Virginia. He and some other boys from all over Maine are headed to the national Junior Olympic XC meet (5k race). It's been a cool experience for him - he usually runs against these kids, but now he gets to train WITH them. They came in first in the Maine meet and NYC recional meet (in that race, DS was 4th and his team took the top 6 out of 64 places). From looking at results from the other regional meets, it may be tough for them to win at nationals, but they could easily be in the top 3. Last year, the team (without DS) came in 2nd. I hope everyone gets some great runs in today!
                What an exciting opportunity for your son, Teresa. 9 miles today in rain, wind and 30-something temps. 9:36 pace. I'm very glad that tomorrow is a rest day. I will still get up early, but will stay in my jammies and drink coffee and work on my endless to-do list of Christmas stuff before work. I seem to be way behind this year.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Wow. Glad you're okay Perch. Those tumbles happen all of a sudden and unexpectedly. Maine, running fine as always! Tim, hoping for good news. You're due some ... Teresa, how kewl for your DS! Good luck to him. Today's run was a tough one. I skipped running yesterday because I couldn't drag myself out of bed. And last night's choir practice was longer than usual - getting ready for some Marathon Christmas singing the next several weeks. I was tired this morning but got up anyway. And on top of all that, we're getting a repeat dose of Summer weather - 73F and 84% at 5:00 AM. 9 tired miles at 8:54 pace. With 4 miles in the middle at "tempo" pace - 8:20, 8:09, 8:04, and 8:00 min/mile. That's all I could mester today ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

After that good discussion yesterday about the value of running every day... I overslept badly and missed my run this morning. Roll eyes Mary--300 crunches? Ouch. Perch--ouch. Be careful out there. Teresa--congrats to your son. PDR--Christmas? Oh yeah, that's coming up this month isn't it?
                    Marathon Christmas singing the next several weeks.
                    "The 26.2 days of Christmas"? "The Little Runner Boy"? "Runner Wonderland"? "God Run Ye Merry Gentlemen"?

Be safe. Be kind.

5 miles all by myself this morning...7:35 pace Teresa-Good Luck to your DS Ribs-Big Dog...HA...actually I kind of resemble a cow...USATF Club X-Country Championships on Saturday...I'm running for Team Brooks in the Masters Division
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        Tramps' post got me to thinking. Has anyone seen the new Garmin Christmas commercial yet? There are two: one for their GPS and the other for their watch, both set to the song "Carol of the Bells." The one for the watch is really clever. There's a verse about "a nun on a run" and it shows a nun in a full habit running down the street, checking her Garmin for time. They're really cute commercials and they've been playing them a lot during the NFL games. Hope you get a chance to see them.
                        lamerunner

Good morning all. Tim, Good luck with the next doctor appt. A game plan is always encouraging. {{{Tim}}} I see the doc next week to find out the MRI results so perhaps I will have a game plan too, other than just cross training and ice. Having so little improvement is annoying, to say the least . I did about 60 minutes on the spin bike this morning, it went ok. I am hoping to get to the Y later for something more. Therese, good luck to your DS. I am a coach for a local Junior Olympic girls team and I will attempt to fly from NH down to VA later this afternoon. Could be messy. I coach Youth Girls. Great group of kids and families. We place second in the Regionals, just two points behind a Maine team. They wil have fun regardless and I hope will run well too. Happy running or non-running. Nice to see jdmom posting and CNY too! very lamerunner

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After that good discussion yesterday about the value of running every day
                            whew, I hope tim didn't see that one either. However, hearing about six weeks of swollen black and blue makes me even more dedicated to taperin' til the end of the month and then, after the annual Resolution Run, doin' it again through March, if necessary to stand by my taper buddie. That's when I start running anyway but, even thereafter, I'll swear off any training runs whatsoever at all all year long, even for the rest of my life, if you're still DL'ed. No matter what, you come to the Seattle RnR. Dive and I'll try to practice how much fun it's going to be for you too tonight with the international goddesses. ps to very goddess lamerunner - you too but I'm takin' over again so you go running again any time you want.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! {{{Perch}}} Timbo – anytime... PCR – nice run! Lamerunner – I hope your MRI results are good. On yesterday’s topic of how many days to run per week, I did my best season, year before last, running 5 days a week and doing weights and core exercises on the other two days. After qualifying for Boston in Sept., 2007, I spent last winter focusing on higher mileage (not as much as some, but more than I had ever run, and as much as my available time would allow), but no speedwork. As the mileage increased, I was fatigued and I began skimping on my weights and core exercises, all but giving up legwork. I ran 3 marathons last spring, all of them slow (but at least I didn’t get injured). All those extra miles I ran didn’t make me a faster marathoner – the opposite, in fact. But as summer came on I began doing speedwork, and then I added a sixth running day. Then, I got injured – first time ever for me. Personally, I believe part of the reason I got injured is that several months of giving up lower-body weights had caused weaknesses. For women, the importance of weight-bearing exercises to offset bone-density loss is huge, but for runners, I believe that weight-bearing exercises can go a long way toward injury prevention. I won’t skimp on them again. But, like Ribs said, it’s all about what you have time for, with your other life commitments, and what your goals are - a matter of deciding what the best balance is for yourself. And, like Tramps, when I try to do a short run and still do my weights, I run out of time before work. So, for me, I’m back to a 5-day running week, with weights and core work the other two days. Instead of higher mileage this winter, I’m focusing on more quality running, medium intensity speedwork and tempo paces. But I do agree that, if I had more time, I wouldn’t mind doing a gentle 3-miler before my weights. I may yet try to fit in at least 15 minutes on the TM beforehand, just to loosen things up. 5.3 easy-paced miles outside today, followed by this on the TM: (2 min. 7.5 mph [8:00]/1 min. 6.0 mph [10:00]) x 5 7.05 miles total. Oh, and the puppy (Daisy) is adorable. Dexter is quite playfully intrigued by the little bundle of wagging tail. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

, and DS is supposed to fly out early tomorrow morning to Virginia. He and some other boys from all over Maine are headed to the national Junior Olympic XC meet (5k race). It's been a cool experience for him - he usually runs against these kids, but now he gets to train WITH them. They came in first in the Maine meet and NYC recional meet (in that race, DS was 4th and his team took the top 6 out of 64 places). From looking at results from the other regional meets, it may be tough for them to win at nationals, but they could easily be in the top 3. Last year, the team (without DS) came in 2nd.!
                                This is so exciting Theresa. Please don't be stingy with your posting regarding their activities and meets. We want to live this experience thru a mother's eyes!! 21F 6:00 6 miles at 11pace. Great recovery run. Off Wenatchee now to fly to Seattle for a short business trip. I woke up this morning almost as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. Our mini RA boomers gathering is at Francesca's tonight. I can't wait.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard