Masters Running

Thursday October 2 (Read 34 times)

lamerunner

Good morning.  I couldn't think of a catchy title.  I hope all the Vermont runners are recovering well! You guys certainly got the weather. Cooler and drippy this week.  I ran about 8 around town, mid 50s and drizzly. Yesterday's run was similar.  I  am hoping to get a swim in at lunch.

Erika, Florida is a tough place to run, between the humidity and the old folks driving huge cars! Amy does amazingly well, probably used to the conditions by now.

Happy Thursday!

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morninging, and hiya lame!

Almost lost it yesterday....At a stop light at a major intersection.  The two lanes to my left get the green arrow so they can turn left.  The cars facing us get their comparable signal, so they are turning in front of us.  The car directly IN FRONT OF ME starts moving straight ahead!  Evidently, the driver, sensing the cars to his left moving, figured he was good to do the same.  I thought I was going to see highway carnage diretly in front of me, but at the last second, he realized what he'd done.....so instead of just stopping, he starts BACKING UP......by then, I had a green light.  Oi vey.  We managed, but just barely .

Um are we going to let our Mikey Mike get away with the snarky "she only ran the 50K" to our Holly?    [see end of yesterday's daily--I'm outing him!]

So then I had a decent workout at the Fit 2 Run fun 5K--a 9+ warm-up mile (only 1, I'm tapering), then 7:51; 7:21 and 7:12.  It is cooling off a bit, so that helped.  Just a very slow 3 mile jog this am (more tapering).

First time for me: registered for Boston 2 Big Sur.  Last blast celebration of turning 60.  Feels trepidaciously exciting.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Aamos, we saw a monument to the flood when we were walking around downtown Rapid City a few weeks ago. I didn't recall having heard about it before, so looked it up online later.

Michigan's liquor laws are very liberal and we can pretty much buy anything, anywhere, any time (except Sunday mornings). We're always amazed by some other states' restrictions. In PA you can only buy a 6-pack of beer at a bar or a liquor store IIRC. In Indiana they sell beer in grocery and drug stores and the like, but it's warm. If you want to buy it cold, you have to go to a liquor store. And there's something about not being able to buy liquor and mixers in the same place.

I'm experimenting again with a medication that seemed to have caused running problems when I tried it this summer, but today's run seemed OK. Ran 6 miles with a friend at a decent pace, although we took a few walk breaks (his insistence -- not mine). So maybe I won't have to choose between running well and peeing well after all! :-)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

Did 4 drippy miles in town. I'm still tired from waiting for the Vt 50 runners to finish. Can't imagine how they feel.

wildchild

Carolyn

Um are we going to let our Mikey Mike get away with the snarky "she only ran the 50K" to our Holly?    [see end of yesterday's daily--I'm outing him!]

First time for me: registered for Boston 2 Big Sur.  Last blast celebration of turning 60.  Feels trepidaciously exciting.

Amy, the "only 50k" was a running joke all weekend!  Mikey Mike wouldn't say something snarky - he's too nice.     And the 50k was actually "only" 32.1 miles!

Have fun at the Boston 2 Big Sur!  Very cool!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Almost lost it yesterday....At a stop light at a major intersection.  The two lanes to my left get the green arrow so they can turn left.  The cars facing us get their comparable signal, so they are turning in front of us.  The car directly IN FRONT OF ME starts moving straight ahead!  Evidently, the driver, sensing the cars to his left moving, figured he was good to do the same.  I thought I was going to see highway carnage diretly in front of me, but at the last second, he realized what he'd done.....so instead of just stopping, he starts BACKING UP......by then, I had a green light.  Oi vey.  We managed, but just barely .

So then I had a decent workout at the Fit 2 Run fun 5K--a 9+ warm-up mile (only 1, I'm tapering), then 7:51; 7:21 and 7:12.  It is cooling off a bit, so that helped.  Just a very slow 3 mile jog this am (more tapering).

Good job on defensive running, aamos.
              However, it’s almost 3,000 miles from Boston to Big Sur.
              Maybe MikeE’s still dehydrated, . . .  or over-H if VT is open container for runners.
              Bless his heart though; he still thinks he can keep up
              to the women’s cross country team.
              ps LR - me too.
              With lake water temps here in the PNW still in the high sixties,
              I’m hoping for a PR midnight madness under the October full moon.

pps - aamos and ziggie must have the same excessive definition of "taper."

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy, the "only 50k" was a running joke all weekend!  

Indeed, it seems like all weekend I kept saying, "I'm only running the 50K" as in, "My friends are running the 50-mile, but I'm only running the 50K," "No, I don't have a drop-bag, I'm only running the 50K," "I'll drive after the race, since I'm only running the 50K," etc.  By the end of the weekend they said I should put it on a t-shirt.....

4 gentle miles for me this morning in 59 degrees.

When DH picked me up from the airport, he told me that we are having a (surprise) visit from his dad and SM this weekend.  I like them well enough, but had sort of been looking forward to a quiet weekend at home.  Oh well.  I guess I needed some incentive to go on a mass cleaning spree anyway.....

While nothing specific seemed overly hurt after the race beyond the usual, my right knee is suddenly being cranky, so I may take another day off to give it more time to rest.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I don't know why your knee hurts.  You only ran the 50K.

Can you believe it was only today that I figured out what Jay means by SRD?  Today I decided to take a scheduled rest day and all of a sudden it popped into my head!  Racing Saturday and I really need a break.  Spareribs

BlazinCajun

lamerunner started the daily - cool!

Amy - Georgia drivers always make my runs interesting

Doug - My old home state of Louisiana has drive in daiquiri bars. The drink is considered sealed with a piece of clear tape around the top.

Did I hear that tet was doing some running?

Holly - I dislike those drop in surprises as well. Figured out that I can't be too attached to "me" time or my attitude and conversation suffer.

Today's easy run was supposed to be easy. It was ten degrees warmer than Tuesday's run of the same distance and I had only so much time to get the run in - was not an easy paced run.

Andrew
                    ------------------
                    God, my Lord, is my strength;
                    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                    and enables me to go upon the heights.
                    Hb 3:19

BlazinCajun

.. I figured out what Jay means by SRD?  ...

I'm in suspense - waiting

Andrew
                      ------------------
                      God, my Lord, is my strength;
                      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                      and enables me to go upon the heights.
                      Hb 3:19

Mariposai word is the honey crisps are looking good!  Wander through some truffle orchards and send me some when you get a chance.  

StarrRuns a quick note on how to avoid running in the rain.  Step 1:  Check the weather radar map.  Step 2:  Look for any blobs that can possibly wander your way.  Step 3: Yes?  Stay home.  No?  Go run.  Pretty effective!  Trust me, I have lots of practice with it!  

TammyinGP no worries about posting to RA by phone.  The interface makes it nearly impossible access or no access.

Mike E I would watch for tails while driving for the next month or so.  If you see a gal with Ohio plates in your rear view mirror take precautions.  Just a friendly suggestion.

BTY one interesting thing about liquor in NY state at least, is that the prices are  often relatively low.  Plus it is easy to ship into and out of the state, which helps to keep it that way.

fatozzig I am not sure what the restrictions are on shipping to OR from out of state.  But here in CT that is the solution to the rather high local prices (thank you state government enforced wholesale cartel).

Dave59 yeah, I have to go with Mike E on this. Although I have no idea what keeping up or running yourself has anything to do with the decision here.  

evanflein I cannot tell you how your post cracks me up!  The gal that runs in -40° weather!  Give me the heat and humidity over that any day.  Heck, I will take it over +40° too!

tetsujin209 water temps?  You planning to run in the lake?  

Spareribs it took you this long to figure out it means Saturday Race Directing?  Wow, you are slow!  

I went out for 16 miles today.  I had planned to run it yesterday but see my note to StarrRuns.  Too many local blobs going in seemingly random directions to risk a 2.5 hour run near!  This run marks the start of my last buildup pre-marathon.  All signs point to me signing up for the Savannah marathon on November 8.  Any tips about the race or the town?  Other than check out Paula Dean's restaurant?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It probably still does but I always assumed SRD had something

to do with running instead of resting so never cared/bothered 

to find out one way or the other and now find out 

I aleady do it some 320 or more days year anyway.

Lucky Holly that they didn't come last weekend during the VT 50's.

"Oh that's nice.  Holly's taking the weekend off and flew to VT to run

so I'll just do all the cooking, cleaning and taking care of kids

for her while she has a well-deserved break."

ps twocat - if you don't like running in the rain,

you probably wouldn't like midnight swims

under the light of the full moon.  too bad.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

2cat - Henry ran in the rain this morning.  I took an USRD and walked lots later on,

marj

Marj !

Tested out the legs and ran 2.8 miles this morning. It was a FRSS (First run since Sunday). Quads still pretty sore, but much better and just soreness, no pain. I didn't plan so well and was on the road for work all week before the Vt 50 and this week is the same. No airplanes, but lots of client travel by car---execu-drag and compression socks and sitting on lacrosse balls while in car. Still beaming though.

Cool Aamos---Boston 2 Big Sur! I'd love to do that some day.

So we aren't worrying about the kiddo getting homesick. He's happy and all that, so Phew you say? No! Instead we get texts from him while in the tornado shelter in the basement of his dorm. Yowsa! all is fine and tornado missed campus, but was very close.

Mariposai

So we aren't worrying about the kiddo getting homesick. He's happy and all that, so Phew you say? No! Instead we get texts from him while in the tornado shelter in the basement of his dorm. Yowsa! all is fine and tornado missed campus, but was very close.

wow, this is probably not the experience he was expecting.

Marj, I just love you!

Glad to see that the relay legs are starting to work again.

Twocat, good luck with the build up training for Savannah.

Aamos, Boston 2 Big Sur! How cool is that!

My monster week at work is almost ending. After work I went out for a lovely 5 miler at tempo. It was not my intention, but from the get go my wings and legs wanted to fly, so flying  I did.

Still waiting for the VT50 race report!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard