Masters Running

Hi September, 9.1.15 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' kids.

I'm glad your feeling so "skippy,' TW!

Great photo, Tselbes. Congrats to your daughter on her marriage (and to you too)!

Nice to have a new job to look forward too, C-R, especially with a family visit bonus.

'Probationary status,' Aamos? I don't think so! Nice BD present for DH. How's his racewalking going?

Nice 21+ miler, Evanflein - great running!

Yes, you will hit your target next time, Mike. Still a very decent workout.

I took yesterday off as a SRD. We had a race committee meeting for our Seacoast Half (in Nov.) last night. Our registrations are way down, as they are for most races in this region. (W'ere confident the Half will still sell out, but not as quick as in prior years.) We suspect the cause is the great proliferation of road races, triathlons, and other different (mud races, etc.) types of competitions. What is your sense of what is happening in the race environment where you live?

5.7 RW miles in 63F temps and under a bright, big slice 'o moon still sitting high in the sky. I was pretty quick, except when I stopped to talk with the paper guy as he was folding his next batch of papers. He told me he wishes he would exercise some, but said he doesn't have time. "BS," I told him - that's just a convenient excuse. We'll see if anything changes; I hope so, but I don't expect it.

Have a greta start to the new month!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Morning Jay and everyone.  It has been awhile since I posted here. Though I still lurk from time to time.

I got out for 4+ mile tempo run this morning - predawn [4:30AM].  Temps were about 73F with 80% humidity which is better than it will be later at 90+ this afternoon.  Going to be more like Texas/Louisiana  than PA today.

Stay cool folks.

Later.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya and good morning!

Interesting query Jay; we were discussing that recently as some local races have gone under of late.  Are the registrations lower than they were during the peak of the recession?

In some cases, the cost of motels has hurt races that have attracted  a lot of traveling runners, e.g., Grandma's used to sell out within a week in Feb, and I think when I ran it last year, I signed up in April.  A lot of folks said it was a combo of the hotels/motels requiring a 3 night stay and/or raising prices, along with the proliferation of Minnesota marathons of late.

I wonder if you're losing folks to marathon distances, altho that seems unlikely, as the half marathons usually have way more participants than fulls do.

It also seems as if more races are doing direct emailing to runners.   At least, I seem to be getting a lot more of late.

And maybe people are just living in the moment more, and not signing up until the last minute?

(

Image result for images happy baseball

I'm feeling so much better about September .)

Thought of a bunch of y'all running this am (same old 8 miles, altho a bit quicker as it was below 80!):

--had on the Adidas, so thinking of henrun, so thought of marj and stumps and Kirsten and Deez....

--and then that it's less than 2 weeks until Boston registration!.......then the radio kicked in and heard:

--story on NPR about Spanish speaking agricultural workers in the PNW who don't always get decent notices on evacuating when the fires require it;

--story about how much EXTRAS cost for college kiddoes (and text books, how ridiculously priced are they?)

--story on correlation between getting sufficient sleep and being more immune to cold germs (that's just about all of us, no?)

Then I turned on tunes as it was all getting to be a bit of a downer......

What will we do when we get old?
        Will we [run] down the same road?
        Will you be there by my side?
        Standing strong as the waves roll over.....

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...mornin' guys..............

ever wonder

where expressions like

''damn skippy''

and

''bob's your uncle'' came from??

=============

but I digress,,,,,,,,,,

80's and humide already..........I LOVE IT

first of 3-10-min

..........figure I'll stay with 3's for the moment and then add extra time to it

...............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

deez4boyz congratulations on your triathlon.

tomwhite I see you are back!  Great news.  Here is wishing you a rapid recovery.

For those that are interested, the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club has a Facebook page.  rtravers put it together last year and it is still there.  Nothing new from this year as yet, but soon, soon.

During my race Saturday (9.36 miles) I still felt a twinge in my lower left abdomen.  Mostly gone, but not quite.  I figure that it is better to take off from running and other activities that fire up the abdominal muscles until maybe Thursday.  Then I will test them with a sit up and see if I still feel anything.  If not I will go back to running.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Nice long runs for evan and Mike.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was a light breeze.  I did 5 miles at an 11:23 pace.

You know it's humid when the shoes you wore yesterday for 5 miles are still damp from perspiration.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

Re races: I'm being bombarded with emails for races of all distances in the greater Boston area-yes there is a glut and even the popular races are slow to fill up.

We decided to spend a couple of days on Cape Cod to enjoy the end of summer and also avoid the many Uhauls that fill up our neighborhood with returning college students. No run yet but did a 20 mile bike ride on a rails to trails bike path this morning. Swimming this pm followed by a seafood dinner and an evening at a summer theater.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nice 70.3 miles for sure, deez, but kind of backwards for a runner

to delight in the swim and bike more than the run.

Is something else your primary outdoor sport / interest?
                  Jay - with event prices so steep, except for old favorites or something really new, interesting, . . . or very cheap or free, my races are slowing diminishing too. However, yours sounds like it’d be an old favorite.
                  Amy - there was an NPR mention too of some standard college texts now costing up to $400!
                  ps - maybe DH can give you a birthday present back out to the PNW sometime.

Maybe next year’s Marathon-Maniac-and-100-marathon-club reunion at your friend’s Yakima River Canyon Marathon at the end of March. For DH’s information, there’s lots of walkers too.

21.1 miles on the Equinox course. I basically did the whole thing except the 5 mile out and back in 3:15. I also started from my office and not going up the ski hill, so that added about .3 mile to the route but I missed the slow slog up that hill. Really happy with that run because even with the stops (Gu and water, Nuun, panting...) I pretty much made my time goals for the various sections. Add an hour for the part I missed (out-and-back usually takes me 55-60 minutes) and I'd be pleased with a 4:15 finish. That sure is a big steep hill though. Oy.

erika - what hill?

There's so many but isn't the ski hill is too short and aren't the several miles up to Ester Dome just a prelude to what happens along the roller-coasters? I bet they didn't used to seem so steep?

Anything does now, especially after 21 miles

Sure glad I ran it when I was only 48-yo and could.

Those were the days.

ps  - what’s with trackrat going to almost totally flat Bellingham Bay this month instead of Equinox.
                  ps <<<(third rant in ten years - - - maybe they ought to change the name of Mt. Rainier back to Mt. Tahoma - end rant)>>>>

ever wonder

where expressions like

''damn skippy''

and

''bob's your uncle'' came from??

ps TW - I’ve been wondering
                  the same thing about “Jute-Mondo”
                  Somehow, it reminds me of you.

Maybe someone knows.

You know it's humid when the shoes you wore yesterday for 5 miles are still damp from perspiration.

To avoid having to run in sweaty shoes and socks that would cause all kinds of blisters, especially since I didn't run that much in those days, when temps soared to 97-degress for the 1990 Good Will Games Marathon in Seattle is exactly the reason I decided to try to see if a regular runner who wasn't Abebe Bikila or Zola Budd could run 26.2 miles barefoot too. I had old shoes stashed at three stategic points along the route but didn't need them, after all.

ps - nice photo of a beautiful couple.  Almost looks timeless..

how many generations have been marrying in Michigan, now?

4.5 cycling commute miles this morning.
                  After nearly four months of nothing but sun, sol, soleil, solveig, солнцеra, hisama, 日さまuntil this weekend’s off-and-on rain that turned off on Sat/Sun mornings just when I was hoping to cycle an 11-mile out-and-back (22-miles) to check out the old yellow cycling raincoat I haven’t worn since the wet/snowy 2006 Seattle Marathon boomer reunion but as soon as I garbed up each morning, it stopped.  Same thing happened this morning so it was just a regular, rainless ride after all . oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

I am just beginning to feel slightly human as my cold begins to loosen its hold on me.  Definitely one of the rougher cold varieties, kind of an energy-sapper, rather than just annoying symptoms.  I will be glad to be rid of it.  However, my poor DH has such miserable allergies this time of year, it must be like having a miserable cold for two months.  That darn ragweed does some damage (although it is a lovely late-summer flower).

5 miles for me this morning in 69 degrees,

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Keep after him Jay. You might just be the difference in getting someone to do some exercise.

Hope you get better soon Holly. Colds are no fun.

Humid here too and shoes seem to stay damp all the time. I use old newspapers stuffed into them after the run. Seems to help a bit and lately that's all the paper is worthy of use. I don't have birds nor fish.

Got slightly more than 8 in my hour today. Feeling a bit stronger.

Son has his second XC meet today. Hope he enjoys himself. He's setting his sights pretty high and putting the work into the effort. Fun to watch.

Have a great one.

Go Cubs.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Humid here too and shoes seem to stay damp all the time. I use old newspapers stuffed into them after the run. Seems to help a bit and lately that's all the paper is worthy of use. I don't have birds nor fish.

yeah, prop 'em toe-up and let the paper wick 'em dry........

I am going to be SO HAPPY when I can

get down low enough to tie my shoes again

===========

ok, bumping 90's now

finished my 3rd 10-min

it really wipes me out at the moment

but

maybe I can hit 15-min this weekend

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Man, TW, you're like a puppy running around .

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Man, TW, you're like a puppy running around .

...two years is a loooooooong time to wait, I'd chase cars if I could go that fast........

dg.

woohoo tw's back,   & he came back as a puppy!!!

Hi Friends - no running yet for me, but I did get a new pair of kicks at my favorite running store on my way home from Maine -- need to start upping the miles for Dublin!!

Recovery swim - 20 minutes, Easy bike 53 minutes today.  Really hated to leave Maine, but alas that foolish thing called work is yelling my name!

Tet - It does stink as a runner to have the run part of tri go so poorly, but I remembered to smile and give thanks every mile!! Some pretty cool race photos are up - thanks for all your tips and advice, they help more than you can imagine!!  Why did my run go so poorly?  I think part of it could be I slacked off on nutrition some at the end of the bike, maybe I went a little too fast on the bike (but didnt feel it), the heat and humidity of running between 11a-1:30 definitely didnt help (I am an early morning runner - not Jay o'clock, but early) and the terrain (on my already achy feet) all played a factor.  Still, very thankful for the gift of being out there --- and I am signing up for an Oly to help end the tri season with a better run Smile

Holly - feel better

Enke - we should talk Boston plans .... I'll pm you

Twocat - any particular beer you would like in a beer bread?  Stout? IPA?

Henrun - smart move!! I hope the college move are complete, but I have to be in too early to be affected much!

denise