Masters Running

Saturday, day, daily - 1.26.13 (Read 48 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Ribs, you're going to have quite a 'following,' one way or another, at Boston this year!

Yay! The westerly winds died down and our bathroom pipes unfroze! Life is good...

We got a dusting of snow last night, and there was just enough on the roads this morning to slick 'em up just a bit. The newspaper delivery guy pulled up to me about a mile into my workout. He was done with his route for today, had an extra paper (WSJ), and handed it to me before he headed off. It was very nice on his part, but you can't racewalk with a newspaper, especially in one of those slippery plastic sleeves. So I ran back home, left the paper in the mailbox, and started again. I racewalked 6.7 miles (and ran 1) in balmy 13F temps. It was a gorgeous morning, with the near-full moon just starting to set. There was a gauzy-haze over the yellow-gold moon that was very seductive. Some places, there was just enough snow on the road to make my shoes squeak with every step - I was afraid I'd wake folks up but, of course, it was only loud to me. With the slick surfaces, I had to back off my pace just a bit, and found that my legs were involuntarily tightening up in an effort to make sure I kept my footing. So I was unusually fatigued by the time I got back and retrieved the paper, but was glad to have been out in the world at the beginning of a new day.

Have a great Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

Good morning Jay and all those who follow.

Our road conditions are really bad today, but I heard that the new snow up in the mountains is great...so off to the hill I go to play in the snow. A day of XT skiing is in my plan for the day. I am going solo since my DH is teaching a Tax preparation class to a group of AARP volunteers.

Go racers gooooooooo!!!!

01/26 Henrun - ING Miami 5K, FLA

01/26 Ileneforward - Sandy Hook elementary virtual HM, LB CA

01/26 tetsujin - Lake Youngs Nuts 50K (trail run - Seattle) - thongs

01/27 Marj - ING Miami Half Marathon, FLA

01/27 SLOjim - Carlsbad Half Marathon, Carlsbad CA

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

By waiting a few extra hours after Jay, I had an even warmer run--up to 17 when I went out for 4 miles.  Our dusting caused no footing problems.  A little breezier than I prefer, but a very pleasant sunny morning.

have to go fill all the bird feeders--the week of colder weather has made the little guys hungrier than normal.  Of course I just discovered that one of the things that I knew I had to do, but could never remember what, was to buy more bird food.  So I'll have to make a trip out and hope the birdies will survive on what I've got until then.

Glad your pipes thawed--hope for no lasting damage.

Enjoy the trails, Mari.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mornin' guys//..............32min poolrun......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

More pleasant weather here, too.  I hit a hillier route for 15.3 but felt pretty good the whole way.

Mari--thanks for the reminder: GO RACERS!!

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Jay, interesting how form changes due to conditions and how it affects the muscles right away.  This is a good lesson for people who have an incipient injury and notice that their form is altered.  For them, stopping right away is the best course.

4.6 miles today just to cap off my 40 for the week, a bit slow.  Let's see if I can go long tomorrow.

Next Saturday I'm racing a 5-mile handicap race.  There's a guy in our club who is now 70 but last year when he was 69 and in my AG I had to compete with him a lot.  In a handicap race they start you at different times, depending on age and sex.  So if the race goes off at 8 a.m. for example and you are a young speedster, you might not get to go until 8:25 or so.

So this guy, who runs a 19 minute 5K, is standing on the starting line with me and they say, "Okay, all men 68 to 72 go to the starting line," so the guy gets a two minute head start on me!  We had quite a laugh over that one.

So I'm going to see the gorgeous OM at Boston I see!  Well, that will brighten up the party.  Spareribs

5 miles on the treadmill this AM.

Nothing new here.

Keep warm people!

ribs, congrats on your 10th Boston.  I think it's really neat that you and Joe, jr are taking Joe along with you.

Nice long runs for Mike and Tramps.

This morning, it was in the high teens and there was a light wind.  My Yaks and I got in 8 miles at an 11:15 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well--nobody can call me a wimp, today.  I went out in 0o and ran 8.1 miles...of course it took a couple friends to drag me out there.  I think the one guy--John--was concerned about me so he asked if I wanted to go for a run.  I try not to ever pass up the chance to go for a run with somebody...it was really nice.  It was cold--but no wind--the sun was out--the only thing that could have made it better was a few more miles.  We just talked and took it easy...1:04:03.

I wish I could be as good a friend as John is.  He would do anything at anytime for any of his friends.  While I like to say that I would...I'm not really so sure I would do anything for a friend.  He doesn't just say it--he does it.  I feel pretty lucky to have a friend like that.

Okay--I have stuff to do.  See ya!

Oh yeah--good luck to all those racers, today and tomorrow!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hi everyone. We had a bit of a dusting last night, and with the sunshine this morning, the sub-20s temps really weren't that bad. Decided to stay local and flat in the park, just in case my stomach wouldn't agree with me like yesterday, but thankfully all was fine. Ran the first 7.5 miles solo, then met up with my friend Lucy to finish out the distance. I wasn't sure if the park paths were clear, so I wore my trail shoes (Brooks Pure Grit),  longest run in them so far. Shoes were great, both for the distance and the traction on the areas that still had a bit of snow. 14 miles total, 9:45 avg pace, with relatively even splits (9:40, 9:35, 10:11, 9:40, 9:36, 9:36, 9:56, 9:54, 10:05, 9:51, 9:43, 9:41, 9:43, 9:32). And after that hard 8-miler yesterday my legs are now happy to rest. Smile

Go racers!!

Way to get out there w/yaks Tom & in 0 degrees Mike

Sorry to break the 8 mile streak but I only did 7 miles in 20F 4 inch snow yesterday afternoon & 1 more overnite didn't wear my yaks because DW doesn't have any and does not want any.

Nice run Tramps

Interesting about the handicap race Ribs. Kind of like age grading but you get to see the competion you're chasing, I like it.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Way to start the thread Coastwalker!1 (you know you were one of the first to ever great me  - I when I started in 2004 with Coolrunning.

Congrats Ribs on your 10th Boston...quite an accomplishment..I might try for a second in a few years.

Great to hear from you tselbs and stumpy keep it up!

For me longest run in about 2 years!!! boy am I heavy..that's why its hard. I have to slow boost the mileage to maybe 30k a week from my current 12K maybe..ha ha  A far cry from my days of 90k a few years ago.

I am volunteering at a race in my new community tomorrow..looking forward to helping out during the Freeze your Buns run!!

GOOD NEWS   Last week when I saw my cardiologist to see how things were a month following my cardioversiion.. He gave me the thumbs up said to stay on Pradax (blood thinner) for another 6 months and when I see him then if all is good, he will take me off the Pradax...One major condition...NO DRINKING alcohol at all...as he and I think it might trigger it if I have more than a few.

Life changes

Go racers

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Way to start the thread Coastwalker!1 (you know you were one of the first to ever greet me  - I when I started in 2004 with Coolrunning.

Congrats Ribs on your 10th Boston...quite an accomplishment..I might try for a second in a few years.

Great to hear from you tselbs and stumpy keep it up!

For me longest run in about 2 years!!! boy am I heavy..that's why its hard. I have to slow boost the mileage to maybe 30k a week from my current 12K maybe..ha ha  A far cry from my days of 90k a few years ago.

I am volunteering at a race in my new community tomorrow..looking forward to helping out during the Freeze your Buns run!!

GOOD NEWS   Last week when I saw my cardiologist to see how things were a month following my cardioversiion.. He gave me the thumbs as my heart rate was normal and good (what they call a normal sinus rhythm) up said to stay on Pradax (blood thinner) for another 6 months and when I see him then if all is good, he will take me off the Pradax...One major condition...NO DRINKING alcohol at all...as he and I think it might trigger it if I have more than a few.

Life changes

Go racers

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Henrun

Ran my 5k in warm Miami this morning with Marj (carrying a back pack and running and walking beside me). Beautiful point to point course from Miami to Miami Beach. Not my fastest time but super for post injury-ended up 3/10 in my age group. Now resting in the sun,having swum and explored Miami  preparing for Marj's half in the early am.

Marathon Maniac #957

OM - nice running!

I still have a bit of a dry respiratory cough, so reminiscent of the ones my kids get in the summer when their allergies kick up, so I decided another day of easy running and put off my LR till tomorrow.  Very annoying, because a friend called last night and asked if I wanted to tackle all or part of a local Fat Ass 50k trail run today, and I would have loved to give it a shot, but just want to get rid of the rest of this cold right now, so I sadly told her no.

5 easy paced miles on the TM this morning, plus planks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."