Masters Running

Finally Friday, 8.8.14 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice 10K around the lake yesterday, Stumpy.

Roch, I hate it when somone tries to prep me for a customer service survey. My first instinct is to knock all my responses back a notch. Sounds like a very interesting garden/city tour yesterday - fascinating to see how Detroit is reinventing itself. How'd the race go last night?

I'm glad you had a good tempo workout, Tramps. Sometimes backing off is the right thing to do.

Nice 20, 20, 20 BC. Check!

I hope you had a good last day with Annabelle, Dave.

I'm glad your ankle and knee are doing better, Henry. Keep up that stretching! Thanks for the tip on the new musical.

Good job of "killing" it, PFriese. Seems pretty clear that the kids are gearing up for the new school year in a major way.

Aamos, thanks so much for highlighting our half marathon. We take a lot of pride in our model of giving away all of our money each year to different local non-profits. I'd be thrilled to have a meet-up at the race, and would do all I could to make everyone feel welcome. But I also know we're in a little corner of the country up here, and it may not be so easy for folks to get here. I've always enjoyed seeing RA friends at the race, with my only regret being not having more time to spend with them.

Nice easy run with the Saint yesterday, Ribs. You'll get your 35 for the week.

Tet, that is an amazing story about your meet-up with the peregrine falcon! What a majestic, regal bird that needed and benefited from the kindness of a stranger.

It's great that your patient is also one of your neighbors, Deeze.

Leslie is going to Hawaii - outstanding! Yep - nice birthday present.

Do the Crim, Tselbes! Woot!

Nice work with your pacer, BTY.

I'm glad you had so much 'fun' with your grill, Twocat. Nice 14-miler yesterday in new running shoes.

Holly, I hope your stepdad is doing well after his cataract surgery.

Mariposai, life is ALWAYS busy at your place! Nice 7-miler yesterday.

Hi Mike. Hi Steve.

Well, we didn't get rid of the bat yesterday morning. It just found a dark place to hang out for the day. But it rejoined us after DW and I went to bed last night. It was doing multiple tours of our bedroom, so I opened the top of our dutch door and the screen door behind it, and the bat found its way outside after another 15-20 minutes or so. We both slept well after that.

4.75 RW miles this morning in IWC (56F, dry, with a flag-stiffening NW breeze). I wanted to do some quick-step drills, but that evolved into fartleks, which was fun. I saw 4 deer and a fox. None of them were in our house.

Good luck, fleet feet, tail winds, and big finishline grins to this weekend's racers:

08/09 Mike E - MN Senior Games - 10K - St Paul, MN

08/09 SubDood - Gopher to Badger Half Marathon, Stillwater, MN to Hudson, WI

08/09 tetsujin - First Call Summer Marathon (Bothell, WA) - barefoot

08/10 irishguy - Join the voices 5 Miler, NY

08/10 Coastwalker - One Hour Racewalk Championship, Gloucester, MA

08/10 - 8/13 A Trackrat - Alaska Senior Games, 1500 m, 5K road, 10K road. Goal: set records

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You should add "HS duel" to Mike's 10K

Only one lap around the lake this morning.  But it was even cooler, and even though it felt sort of plodding, came out as one of the quickest 5Ks is a while.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck racers!  Mike, you'd better put your money where your DW's mouth is, and beat her HS friend!

Jay, your race is a one-hour timed event, to see who goes farthest?   I've heard of them for running but never one hour!  Usually 6, 12, 24, 48, etc.   Did you guys read about the woman who set a record for a 48 hour race of something like 242 miles, at some indoor track in Alaska?

I have no races on tap this week, just another long trail run with my ultra friends on Sunday.

Shout outs to everyone - HI EVERYONE! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

O Jay, of course you're busy busy the weekend of your race; maybe you'd prefer a meetup where you could relax and hang out.  We are going to keep the Seacoast Half on our 2015 possible race trips, as it looks wonderful for so many reasons.  Glad the deer and fox stayed outside (unlike the bat!)

Stumpy, speeding up there; you'll be in good form by November.

Hope all is well on the convalescent front, Holly.

Yes, Tom2 (can't resist; that was such a neat photo), Do the Crim!

twocat, you are too funny.

Mari, God bless you.

Aloha!  to whichever runner here fits....she couldn't deserve it more.

Good luck all you racers!    Have fun and enjoy.

Tempo run last night with Speedsters.  It was humid, so I especially appreciate the companionship, as I never, ever would run as far or fast alone.   Did 10, last 6 were at 8:24 pace.  Just 3 very easy  both yesterday am and this am, nothing tonight and nothing long tomorrow.  Maybe a 5K.

Have fabulous Fridays!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

Nice recap Jay and good luck this weekend (and with the bat)

Run Tom Run!

Very cool Tet.

Have fun trail running Wild.

Yay Leslie.

Very nice Amy.

Ran my 5k last night. 19:10. Getting closer. It was fun and we get to run it again in two weeks. Busy day today so I'm hoping I can get more than my 2 miles from this morning but time will tell.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Good morning gang. Friday is here, hurrahh!!!

We have a nice cool day today, cloudy, it would be a nice day for a long run, but I have to work today. The Easy Pacer and I got up at 5 to go for a run. We were out there until 7am, but only ran 3 easy miles (we ran to the Omak Stampede ground, joined other Rotarians to clean up the rodeo stand to get ready for tonight's rodeo event, then ran back home.

This is the Omak Stampede and Indian Encampment weekend when our town gets about 40,000 tourists during this one week. Good for our economy.http://www.omakstampede.org/

Go racers go!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

I'll pencil the Seacoast Half on my calendar.  If I actually make it to Hawaii in March I may not be up for another traveling race next year, but it's too early to know anything at the moment.

I saw the Tallahassee crew off this morning.  Sad to see Annabelle leave, but I'll be down there in not too many weeks when her little sister is born.  After they left, I ran an easy 3 miles.  My morning was then booked with conference calls but the first one was cancelled and the second one had technical problems and was abandoned.  So here I sit with nothing to do but real work to do.

King of PhotoShop

Tselbs, do the Crim.  Even if it's hot and you aren't ready for it, it's a memory.  They're good to have.

One more week and I get to see Aamos.  Or I have to see Aamos. Depends on one's point of view re seeing Aamos.

Ran with the Saint this morning.  She set a goal of 25 running miles per week. She walks some additional miles. But she has run so much with me early in the week that she hit goal this morning and I've encouraged her to take the day off tomorrow.

5 miles today in 50:02, 90 degrees, as we got a late start. Felt okay.  No work today so I'm going to play bridge.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

One more week and I get to see Aamos.  Or I have to see Aamos. Depends on one's point of view re seeing Aamos.

I think you get to see Amy and she has to see you.

Tom2--yes you should run the Crim.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BTY

Today I got to turn the tables somewhat and help a friend out by pacing her on her 1/4 mile repeats.  She was shooting for 6 x 400 @ 8:00 pace or faster (somewhere between 1:54 and 2:00 per repeat) and she did great - 1:55's on the first 5 and then I said go for it on the last one and she ran a 1:41 (6:45 mile pace).   I could tell she enjoyed beating her pace rabbit by 10 seconds on that one.

I'm pleased to announce that this was my first 25 mile week since last summer and my first week running 5 days since sometime in June.  Not that it's been a ainfree week but it isnt anything to throw in the towel over.  I'll rest this weekend and try to ramp it up a little starting Monday.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  My boss let me off early, today.  I was happy that, FINALLY, something went right for me this week...then my car wouldn't stay started.  Seriously...this has been a week when it has been one thing after another.  But--I made it home and will call my son-in-law, later to see if he can take a look at it.  I'm sure that it will be fine.

Good luck on Sunday, Jay.  By the way, the 1500 racewalking event was right before the 100, last weekend.  The guy out in front looked just like you...or at least the pictures I've seen of you.  He was one of, three or four, who looked like they were actually using the correct form.

Add my vote to do the Crim, Tom.  I think you'll be sorry if you don't.  You always seem to have a good time at your races.  Go have some fun!

C-R--weren't you just trying to get under 20 in the 5k just about a year ago?  You have really dropped a lot of time...nice job.   Am I right about that, or was it somebody else?

Have fun with your ultra buddies wild.

Okay--I suppose I should go and open the hood of my car so I can tell DSIL that I tried fixing it myself before I called him.  See ya!

Henrun

No running today. Jay, my knee is definitely better but my L ankle is worse. The pain has become more localized and I'm pretty certain it's Achilles tendinitis. Walking makes it more painful (flexing my Achilles) but we've been doing our nightly one mile walk as best as we can. I'm going to try cyclin tomorrow and see how that works out.

Good luck to all the racers this weekend.

I have been totally out of the loop this week but have three reasons: Jackhenry, Mackenzie and Brody. We have had a lot of fun this week, 2 nights here at home, 2 days camping and 2 nights here now. One set of parents is on the way, thank goodness. With 15 meals, 10 snacks and a few fights to referee, it has been, um, busy. They all have hissy fits at times, but at age 3, 4 and 5 it is expected. We were at the county fair twice today. We sent them on that octopus ride, that was number 2's hissy fit right there.

No running this week and I am getting a bit worried about the race in a month so need to buckle down. Good luck to MikeE and the other racers this weekend. See ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

Tselbs, do the Crim.  Even if it's hot and you aren't ready for it, it's a memory.  They're good to have.

SteveP