Masters Running

Another new "groupie". (Read 319 times)

Seeing my buddies Teresa and Cheffy from the half marathon group now appearing here on a regular basis has encouraged me to test the waters. I am 57 years old, though you would never guess it from the immaturity of my posts, and relatively new to running, coming up for 2 years.( I did run a little in high school, but purely because you had to do a sport of some sort, and cross country took less time than tennis, cricket, swimming or rugby.) At the age of 20 I moved from Rhodesia, in southern Africa, to Canada (not for the climate!) and did not do anything active until recently. My running has reached the point where all the easy gains have been made and any further improvement will require uncomfortable amounts of hard work for small increments of improvement. I have felt a bit reluctant to post here up till now as there seems to be a very experienced group of hardcore runners of prodigious ability and I felt i might not fit in, but it didn't seem nice to lurk without people knowing I was there, so here I am.... Many of you I remember from CR a couple of years ago when I was just starting to run, others I have "met" in other groups; for the others I hope this post and my profile will be an adequate introduction. Looking forward to chatting with you all. Simon

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

King of PhotoShop

Welcome Simon. You are right that there are some pretty great folks here. Others are losers. See today's daily for their names. Spareribs
      evanflein

Now, now, Spareribs. Be nice. Welcome Simon! I hope you post often and let us know how you're doing. Some of us *ahem* get a little grumpy now and then but all in all we're a pretty nice group. The talent, expertise and experience here covers the entire gamut of running, so everybody fits in. Assuming you meet the age qualifications at the door (yes, you pass!).
        Tramps

I am 57 years old, though you would never guess it from the immaturity of my posts
          Sounds like you meet the two major requirements. Welcome!

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi Simon, welcome to the funny farm! There are folks here of all abilities and speeds, so you couldn't NOT fit in. Are you running a half soon, like Teresa and Cheffy? If so, which one?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hi Simon, welcome to the madhouse. Please don't feel reluctant.
                Thanks, yes i am planning to run the Goodlife Fitness Toronto Half on October 19th., which is close to my 2 year anniversary. I ran this race as my first half a year ago, in 1:55, so hoping to save a few minutes this time, about 1:48. My son has run the full Toronto Marathon twice, though he dropped out at 36kms the first time, nearly frozen and dehydrated. He was much better prepared the second time, possibly trying to prove something about learning from one's mistakes. I read something about the daily thread and have decided to stay away until the emotions subside a bit; I don't want to risk getting agitated, it's not good for old people. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I ran this race as my first half a year ago, in 1:55, so hoping to save a few minutes this time, about 1:48.
                  Welcome, Simon. Why not skip the race, and save the entire 1:55? That is my approach to half-marathons, in fact to any race over 5K. Dark Horse
                  I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

Marathon Maniac #957

I read something about the daily thread and have decided to stay away until the emotions subside a bit; I don't want to risk getting agitated, it's not good for old people.
                    Don't you dare! You get yourself over there and jump right in and stir up the pot. Start talking about hockey or something... Wink Welcome Simon! Always happy to have another runner jump in the mix. The virtual hottub has plenty of room. And I think someone just mixed up a pitcher of margaritas. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

. . . but it didn't seem nice to lurk without people knowing I was there . . .
                      Ah! I've had this funny feeling for some time now. Been turningaroundrealquick to try and see who's sneaking up on me, who's watching, just never saw anybody there. Now I know it's been you! Wink Nice to see you come out of the shadows! Good luck on your HM . . . . . . now where're those margaritas . . .

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

huskydon

Simon, Welcome, welcome, welcome! Make yourself at home and post often! huskydon
                        HermosaBoy

Welcome Simon. You are right that there are some pretty great folks here. Others (like me) are losers. See today's daily for their names. Spareribs
                          Fixed Clowning around Welcome Simon!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Welcome, Simon.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Welcome, Simon. Post often. TomS
                                Welcome, Simon. This is a great group of people - though some run way faster and longer than others (me), everyone can be counted on for a good laugh or shoulder to cry on when needed. Good luck with your half! Jeanne