Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 121.19.14 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

So much to comment on in yesterday's daily, and so little time!

Good luck to C-R and Nicholas. Deeze, I hope the only "c" word that Nicholas hears is 'cured.'

I wouldn't want to give up coffee either. But my limit it 2 cups each morning (nothing for the rest of the day), so I think I'm OK. Ribs, I use a Krups blade grinder for my beans, and am fine with that.

Twocat, if I'm going to have a salt cocktail, I'd prefer it in the evening, and with a little better flavor than what you apparently down each morning. A good margharita comes to mind...

Last night's meeting lasted 2 3/4 hours, which was long, but it was very productive. So I basically had no dinner, and just went to bed when I got home. I woke a few times with too much on my mind, but managed to get back to sleep. After I fed the cat at 3:45, I thought I'd lay down for just a few minutes, but it was 5:15 when I next opened my eyes. So I missed my workout op. this morning, and will have to make up for it tomorrow. I have too much work to do this morning, and then our office Christmas party in the afternoon, and a quick, drive-by at another party in the evening. The parties will be fun, but I feel more like sitting with a book and a glass of wine in front of a fireplace for a while.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

I lean more towards the Tabasco than the salt. C-R, My DW just went on BP meds. 50 and pretty fit. (50 and pretty too!) Good diet. She was pretty bummed and didn't want to accept it. Doc said likely due to genetics.

evanflein can make my coffee any day. Sounds like just the way I like it.

I haven't decided if today is a rest day or not...opted to stay under covers this morning.

Let the parties begin...but like Jay, many times I'd opt for a quiet evening at home as well except my glass would likely contain a good Bourbon.

Good Morning, Peeps ~

We're not big party people.  I'm up for tucking myself into our over-sized chair any day or evening with a good book and a cat in my lap.

Had a nice 5-mile run at the McKay yesterday after work.  The wind was picking up, but thankfully the rain stayed away until sometime during the night.

Had a really  cool experience at the McKay.  As I came up on a stand of trees, I heard what I thought was the creek running fast and high, but the other areas where the creek drains into showed no signs of fast running water.  Ends up the trees were FULL of thousands of birds - like little starlings - and what I was hearing was their chatter.  As I stood there looking and listening, something got them stirred up and in 3 or 4 big waves, they flew out of the trees.  The sound of their sudden flight was incredible!  Once they left, the "full, bushy" trees weren't as full as they were before.  When I came back, they had filled a different stand of trees and, again, the sound was absolutely incredible.  Wish I had had a video recorder.

Another thing about that run, there was a couple who came along behind me and passed me while I was watching the birds.  They were a smidge faster than me, so I used them as a rabbit to keep my speed up.  I realized that it would be helpful to find someone who's a little faster than me to run with once in awhile so that I have to push myself.  There is a group of local women I have been posting with on FB, but I have been hesitant to try and run with because most of them post these amazingly fast times when they run races and I am always thinking, "If I ran with them, I'd be holding them back."  Well, I need to get over that and try and run with some of those gals a couple of times a month.  I think it would be very beneficial, not to mention how nice it would be to have company once in awhile on my LRs.  I get pretty bored with myself.

Anyway - I slept in today because Ziggy decided to raise a ruckus half the night.  Not sure what's gotten into him these days, maybe just old age, but he's being a bit of a stinker at night.

Have a great weekend, Friends ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Love, love coffee and also salt, but just not together....salted caramel though? Wow....love.

Today is the last work day of the year for me and I am so ready not to be getting on planes or driving across multiple states all in one week. I'll have about three weeks without work travel and I can't wait! I love my job, but the travel process is just that---process!

I head to the airport at 4 pm to fetch the kiddo. We can see on our Flight Aware tracker that his flight got into Chicago early and all looks good for arrival back home. Can't believe his first semester at college is over.

As for running, I am mostly base building and won't race until February. The USATF-NE Grand Prix road series for 2015 was just finalized so I have some goals to shoot for and will be looking forward.

I am with you Jay....sitting by the fire with a book rather than lots of parties! Enjoy though and I hope you get dinner tonight! And Bourbon! Slo_Hand, my DH will join you for that.

Cool run fatozzig and while I do a fair amount of solo running, I love running with folks too. Don't hold back.

Happy weekend all....heading out now to run six miles.

King of PhotoShop

I could cry for you Karin, at how happy you must be.  An end to an arduous year, and looking forward to seeing your son again.

My Hudson has his last day of end of semester finals today and he is off for the holidays.  Yesterday came his acceptance at SMU and earlier this week his acceptance at Trinity U. in San Antonio. All of the acceptances so far have come with $ attached so we will wait until all the offers are in and help him decide. We are so proud of him.

The Saint, jlynne's vitamins and I ran 4 brisk miles this morning, going from ten minutes a mile to 9:05 at the end, and I'm feeling fresh as can be.  Spareribs

lamerunner

Greetings! Sorry to have been absent, just busy and my running has not been that interesting,.. I have been reading and checking up on all of you.  It looks like a lot of great running and coffee making.  We use a cone and paper filter and pour the water in, with French Roast coffee usually ground on espresso setting. Yes, I like it strong!   And no plans  to give up coffee; it has health benefits, just have to be sure I don't drink it in the evening.

This week has had lots of travel for me, not compared to what Karin does, but much car time-Springfield MA on Monday, for what turned into an all day hearing; Portland, Maine on Tuesday, and Portsmouth yesterday. Today was almost Portland again but we finally settled the case. Instead I will go to the dentist.  And speaking of Karin, I had a nice lunch with her last Friday when she came through town.  We had quite the water; it was his second day on the job, and although sweet in a way, he had a very odd manner. Among many malapropisms was his question about my "dalliance with the CSF." We had a good laugh about that. There is a local CSF ( like a CSA but for locally caught fish), and I had asked the waiter if the restaurant participated, because the fish on the menu was all the same type I had gotten. He then chased us down the street to hand off the leftovers.

I am running regularly, a little less than in the fall now that ski season has started. Both ski and winter hiking conditions have been good.  The last couple of storms which brought us rain or ice were all snow in the high country. I did a great hike last Sunday over the Wildcat Ridge; to save time, I started and finished on a ski trail and then enjoyed a great snowshoe track across the ridge. Around here the T Day snow has mostly gone; yesterday and today I was able to get to the rail trail for about 8 miles each day. No swimming this week, just too hard a schedule to get it in.  I did get in a cycling class one evening, just for variety.

DD is coming home tomorrow for just over a week. It will be great to see her! DS has his first ski race of the season on Tuesday. We dragged him to a Judy Collins concert last Sunday evening; it was on the way home (sort of) from ski country.  Not his style of music, but I think he appreciated the quality of her voice. Still singing great at about 72! I want to go see Joan Baez soon too, before she stops performing.

Holiday preparations are underway...

Happy running! I hope Amy is healing well.

TammyinGP

Leslie, you seem to have your pulse on the trail races offered between No Cal and Oregon so am wondering what the options might be for late June or into July. I know SOB at the end of July, but are there others you are aware of. not 50K in distance - shorter ones. 

got in a few miles last night after work. have only run 2x in Dec so far. But I'm only working 4 more days this year after today, so my "it's dark by the time I get home" excuses won't work.

getting a new heat pump installed on Monday. ours died yesterday. if it was going to die this year, would have been nice for it to happen before I upgraded kitchen since that is where my extra home improvement money went. <sigh>

Tammy

Dave59

An easy 3.6 this morning.  Hoping to run double digits tomorrow,

No parties for me thank goodness.

Went in today for a short PT session with Clint Verran. If you don't know him, Clint is an Olympics-qualifier-level marathoner who is now looking forward to turning 40 shortly so he can smoke some Masters Class times. Anyway, he's locally famous for being a runners' therapist (as well as coach) and he worked my leg over for a while (yowch!), then gave me some exercises and foam roller instructions.

So I think I have something to work at that might keep my recent knee problems from recurring. And I might even get out for a decent run later this weekend. And speaking of the weekend, good luck to anyone racing the next couple of days. There must still be some Jingle Bell events going on somewhere.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

The day started well with an 8 mile run that happily included some virtual company. But then I decided to get my lecture notes done for some software I want the students to use next semester. The help screens are nearly useless as is the on line (lack of)  "knowledge base."  Some of the stuff is so obtuse the guy I reached on the help line was stumped for awhile! So frustrating. But it is done!!!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Nicholas has a tissue biopsy scheduled for Tuesday at 11:30 - some type of mass possibly connected to the bowel - tough to tell on CT.  Surgeon will send a sample right to pathology while still in the OR and see if they need to remove more.  Wish Tuesday didn't seem so far away.

I will be praying and running and running and praying -- my mo to get thru stress!!

Have a great weekend my friends, but I hope it flies by quickly!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Deez, hugs to you and Nicholas and your whole family.  Tough to wait.  I hope everything turns out okay.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good evening, wonderful people!

I stopped by the grocery today and bought a prime rib for Christmas dinner.  That's a $50 hunk of meat these days, but they always turn out so good.  After the big Thanksgiving feast, my Christmas present to myself is a relatively uncomplicated meal, with just a few sides.

15 miles for me this morning in 27 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Nice run Holly and I like the choice of Christmas meal. We do  roast on the 24th and turkey on the 25th.

Keeping you in our prayers Deez.

Another double today with indoor track stuff planned tomorrow. Oh boy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

I was going to run after work today, but it never did warm up much and it's windy. I brought an extra shirt, but just not excited about going out in the dark and -16 windchill. No thanks. Hey, C-R ran double today so I can skip it. Still feeling tired from my trip anyway.

Trying to make myself believe that it's ok to have a light mileage month at the end of an otherwise pretty good year. At this time of year, with nothing specific to train for, sometimes it feels good to just relax a bit and not worry about mileage. Just gotta be sure I can fit into my pants at the end of the month!

We're going to my brother's for Christmas dinner, but I'll probably do something "roasty" while off from work.