Masters Running

40_ on the go w/e 3/28 (Read 464 times)

jfa

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt Hi fit and fantastic forty folks! Looks like a good time for a new thread. Hope things are going well for our travelers as well as those who will soon be. Peek at the end of last week's thread showed a very good run for Jewels, a rather *ahem ,portly cat for Sandy, Cindy happy to be running in circles ( hope you found your karma) still looking for more snow ,Leslie packing the 'ol boyfriend, Jim's very interesting farming procedures, Arla busy with another half (WTG Arla! ) , and last but certainly not least, Ev with a very impressive and confidence boosting 19 miler ! Whew , what a bunch! Hi to Kelly and Carol and anyone else I missed. Quite pooped out ,in a good way. Followed finishing a pb 72 mile week with a 14.4m long run today.Been mixing up the routes real well so I can hang with this mentally. Friday night was along the waterfront path in NYC. Started right about adjacent to where Capt Scully performed his magic with Flight 1549. Ended up downtown with a great view of the Statue of Liberty. Plenty of hot pace bunnies people watching to do. A nice warmer recovery run in the woods yesterday with Buddy , followed by my long run by the beach today .I don't have a Garmin but map all my routes here at RA.They are all public and probably interesting only to me. Tongue Smile Wishing everyone a prosperous week! Smile MTA- put an underscore instead of a + in the title and can't change it. Also, while I'm thinking of it, did you guys know that the Firefox browser has a built-in spellcheck feature? Comes in handy!!!

flatland mountaineer

Hi gals and guys! 6 miles while waiting for the dew to go off this morning. Had a pretty nice pace going until I ran into a couple neighbors and they either want to give you a ride or chat. This time it was the later so killed a couple minutes until I started to get cold. They were wearing their insulated coveralls in the pickup and I was in a ls tech tee and tights (scary thought 50 yo fat man in tights). Really wasn't that cold out as we had cloud cover that prevented the radiational cooling prevalent in the ol' Great American Desert. Refueled and rehydrated then got in the sprayer and sprayed on a semi-load (25ton) of fertilizer on wheat while Lynda ran the Strip-tiller. Both got done around 7 tonite then went to Ogallala for supper but mostly to get off the farm. We pushed hard this week as weather next week is pretty iffy. Blizzard warnings in the Nebraska Sandhills for tommorow, them moma cows will be popping them out like mad . Ya gotta love em to go out in a storm in the middle of the night and midwife a cow. Lots of baby calves end up in the kitchen or porch in weather like that to get them warmed up and dryed off. Joe thats sounds like a really cool run. Nice week also!! Had a baseball player friend in college from Long Island that wanted to give me a tour of the city. Wish I'd have done it. Ev really nice job, did you wear the new shoes? Shins do ok today? Not real sure what that usda location near you does. Tx A&M, KSU and Nebraska still have pretty good wheat breeding programs but most of the corn and bean research is done privately by the big seed Co's owned by the big Chemical companies. Arla another weekend another half. WTG !! Cindy nice running at the rec center. My friend from the Estes area said snow is melting fast and if they don't get some more soon the snow season will be over. BTW yuse guys doing BBoulder? Leslie have u left yet, have a great trip if not. Salty how was the race? Carol hope your trip is going well. Jewels glad u got in 4 but careful until u see the doc ok? Kelly hi, hope its going well for you. Busy gal I'm sure!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi all! Gotta make this quick as my time on the Internet here is limited. Ended up not bringing the "boyfriend," but am utilizing a computer here at the City Center Motel in Katoomba, NSW. After a 14-hour plane trip (during which I barely slept), we finally made it! The trip out of Sydney and trying to find our way to the correct highway was rather harrowing, but no fender benders. The driver's on the right side of the car, and you're driving on the left side of the road. I spent most of the time saying, "Stay in your lane!" "Stay to the left!" Shocked Somehow or another, we finally got on the right road, which led us to the Western Highway. We are now in Katoomba, and tomorrow will take a tram over part of the Blue Mountains, then go to the Janola Caves. Took us forever to find someplace where we could buy a ice chest (or eskie), but believe it or not, stumbled upon a Kmart! I'm trying to figure out how to get it on the next plan as a carry on so we don't have buy another in Melbourne. Ate kangaroo tonight for the first time. Was good - and no, didn't taste like chicken. HUGE thumbs up to Qantas Airlines! Oh how I wish I could always fly that airline. The amenities you received bordered on overkill (but I didn't turn any of them away), and everyone had their own little TV in the back of the seat in front of you with lots of movies, TV shows, documentaries, news, etc., to choose from. Of all the airlines we've flown on, this is definitely the best s far. I plan to run in this crazy town tomorrow - in the early a.m. Pretty humid here, and also hilly. I most defintely won't be trying to run when it's hot. Take care, and I'll post again if I get a chance.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey 40_ Big grin Thanks for the kind words Joe..... I briefly checked out one of your mapped runs. Cool! I may give that tool a try, but unfortunately most of my runs are around and around and around the same 3 mile loop. I made 6_ loops yesterday. I should branch out abit. I know it's good for me, but I don't like to get out of my comfort zone. Nice 14 miler for you. Running to view the Statue of Liberty....awesome! Joe, I thought you did the underscore because fatozzig is down under? Jim....Nice 6 miler....chatting with neighbors, you gotta love that. Will you be midwifing any cows? The "Great Plains Research Station" must do grasses. There are numerous grass plots of different varieties planted there. No, didn't wear the new shoes. I didn't want to break them in on a long run. I'll start them off on shorter runs....hoping to wear them on a 3 mile recovery run today.....Although I'll need to get the run in before the weather comes. Threat of severe storms this p.m. fatozzig....glad you made it to Australia ok. My wife and I were just discussing long flights and how uncomfortable they may be (we've never been on one longer than a couple hours). So glad to hear that was enjoyable for you. Have a good run and tell us all about it. Pictures are always nice. Smile Latr my friends.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Morning fab 40's.... Thanks for getting us going Joe......and look at that mileage. Holy Shmoly! You should be tired. Woot, woot! Here's to keeping your eyes on the pace bunnies, er I mean road. Ev, super nice LR you had the other day and hope those new shoes treat you well! Jim, looks like you n' Lynda are back at it with the farming chores. Nice 6 miler by the way.......My dad used to always say, "what's for supper" when he got home from work. Now, everyone calls it dinner. I guess it depends on how and where you grew up. He grew up on a tobacco farm! Funny thing is.....he never smoked a day in his life! How was you half thispast weekend Arla? Hope you had a blast! Hey hey to Cindy! Really loved the pics from last weeks thread! Glad to hear Leslie and hub landed safely......enjoy! Hope Carol is having a nice vacation..... Have a nice day all....... Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

Hi All- Jim- nice six after shooting the breeze with the neighbors. Glad to hear you're in your t-shirts again,at least for now.Hope you manage to catch any baby cows that are pitched your way! Leslie- Happy that you guys made it down there ok. Nothing sounds more like Australia than a town called Katoomba! Take lots of pics and hope your run went well! Ev- I hear ya about the comfort zone thing.I have those courses as well but mixing it up has worked well for me.I too am turning into an Asics fan.I should be buying a new pair shortly for breaking in before the marathon.Smart move trying them out on shorter runs,then I suppose you want to get a good long run on them before the race? I also looked at your race course. Looks a little hilly in the middle? Sounds like it could also be a bit emotional with the Memorial and stuff. Jewels- your sunny Fla personality flows right onto our page! How's your knee after that last run?Have you been able to get to the gym? Ran a new route today that was tougher than I thought. Was working in the area and ran at Monmouth Battlefield State Park. George Washington and Alexander Hamilton kicked some British butt there back in the summer of 1778. Pretty cool but the "trails" were not much more than mushed down grass and tough to judge the footing.Was quite interesting though as they have plaques out in the fields that explain how the battle went that day.Was so happy to get back on asphalt that I reeled off 2 more miles at 8:59 pace to finish. Hump day already! Have a good one !!

Ev- I too am turning into an Asics fan.I should be buying a new pair shortly for breaking in before the marathon.Smart move trying them out on shorter runs,then I suppose you want to get a good long run on them before the race? I also looked at your race course. Looks a little hilly in the middle? Sounds like it could also be a bit emotional with the Memorial and stuff.
                I've been in ASICS for quite awhile. I've been through several pairs of the 2100 series (2110 thru 2130). I recently upgraded to the Kayano series (only because I found a pretty good deal on them...$89) and this is my second pair of the Kayano 14....so I know the shoe is right for me. Yes, I'll get in 2 long runs in them before the race. Should have around 150 miles on them come race time. The OKC Memorial does have a couple hills, but did not seem significant to me last year. There is a good long uphill stretch from mile 20-23, but it's fairly gradual. The hills should not be a factor. The wind, should it decide to participate this year, could be. Big grin In fact I told mrsday that I predict strong winds the day of the race because God has been preparing me for a windy race with all these windy training runs. Big grin Nice 12 miler for you on the trails....becareful with the footing. You'll need those ankles to be healthy come May. Smile
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Easy 4 today but back to colder temps, trying to spit a little rain and snow but not too bad weather wise for running. Sure put the whoa to farming activities though. Ev wind in Oklahoma? Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin down the plains.......sorry kinda lost it there for a minute Big grin And nope I don't have to take care of any cattle any more. Just had to watch em for one week when my neighbor had surgery. Interesting place to run Joe a rev war battlefield. I guess supper /dinner is one of those country /city things Jewels and speaking of supper we are going to try and go to supper with Jonathan the RT editor and wife maybe this weekend. Have't seen them in a coon's agea long time. Hiya to everyone else.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Hey Folks! (playing hooky from the paperwork for a minit Blush) Yup Jim, we're planning on the BB.....thinkin' Goodwill (or Walmart) might be the right place to find them stripey socks Wink however, Horsetooth wknd keeps getting stuff added to....doubt we could squish a HM on top of all the other stuff....btw: should be getting a good round of fresh snow this week to wrap up those expiring lift tickets with Yes So Joe, when did you discover the spellchecker?! Big grin "pace" bunnies ?? Hope Leslie is having a GREAT trip...(how do I write upsidedown so she kin read it???) yep, anything but domestic air travel has always been a treat for us Wink Hey Jewels! Where are you down there? we're looking @ maybe popping down to Marcos for a condo exchange....any great tips? & can I run on the beach barefoot? or would aqua socks be advised? Ev - you gettin dizzy yet? Clowning around oh wait.....which way is the wind blowing? Where's our Wine Country people??? I said 7oz per Ra friend..... Evil grin We went up to Ski Cooper Monday & caught a small amt of fresh snow....still snowing up there! Made 8 nice full runs on a small mountain in central CO. Most runs, we were only sharing w/2-3 other people! feels like our own private ski resort!! So, we probably will run back up on Sunday to catch last day there. I must confess, I had one fairly ungraceful hard landing....bruised/stiff/tender left gluteal (butt), hence no run for me past coupla days.... Hope everyone has a Greta Week!! Ciao! Cindy
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      Ev - you gettin dizzy yet? Clowning around oh wait.....which way is the wind blowing? Ciao!
                      I resemble that remark. You never know which way the wind will blow this time of year. One day it's howling from the north, the next , from the south. The predominate direction is from the south. You can tell that because the trees are a bit deformed and have a constant lean to the north (even when the wind isn't aint blowing.....bout forgot my OK dialect) Since I am the self proclaimed lyric miester, here's some excerped lyrics from a song written by a friend of mine about the OK wind. (Sorry Jim, it's not Rogers and Hammerstein) Now don't get me wrong, you know what I mean, People in OK are the best I've seen. But a strange thing happened the other day in town, The wind quit blowin.......and they all fell down.

Top 'O the World!

Happy Spring......BIG Snowstorm comin' in just now!! Shocked >>>> & I git ta go drive around in it! Tongue
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Ev u have a winter storm warning today? Let me know how much snow u total. Thanx The wheat market is watching. Drive careful Cindy.

jfa

Thanks guys. Now I won't bitch and complain about tonight's rainy 45* run. A'int so bad.....Smile

Hi Guys - We made it to Newcastle and are at our friends' house. Are having a fantastic time. Spent the last two days going throug the Warrumbungle National Park. Lots of kangaroos, a few emus, and even a koala!! Hope all is going well with you. Am sticking to a running schedule, and will be doing 10 miles in the humidity tomorrow. Dead Later!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TGIF everyone...... Sounds like Leslie is having a great vacation and sticking to her running schedule so that gets her the award of the week! Been real busy with a couple of job interviews, one which I got and am now bookkeeping an extra 10 hrs. a week for an opthomologist, school is keeping me real busy as well. Trying to keep my Tues/Thurs/Sat my running days but something always seem to get in the way. Heading to Orlando early Saturday morning with my 2 sisters. Going to the House of Blues to see "Heart" perform. We have a nice hotel right across from HOB so we will be poolside having drinks and lunch, then freshen up for the concert and walk there and back. Can't wait......gotta get away......even if it it just for 24 hrs. Mid 80's forecast for this weekend so should be a warm one! Happy runs to you all.... Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee