Masters Running

Sat 2-9 Boom / Masters (Read 384 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all. Guess I will start us off...as long as someone doesn't beats me to the button. 30 mile run for me early this morning....then I woke up Big grin At work this morning and planning on a long run in a couple of hours. Real windy here, but 40 degrees, so will be a nice day to run. The temps are suppose to drop to below zero tonight into tomorrow....yuck Sad Have a great day all. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim – thanks for starting us out. I have the same weather here, and was lucky that I switched out my LR for today instead of tomorrow, due to a late night planned tonight. RunninginDC – I downloaded AdAware to my computer and run scans regularly for what I call “spybots,” which build up quickly and slow down my computer tremendously - I thought I was the only one who used the term. Smile Kudos to you for figuring out how to rid yourself of a Trojan Horse. 14 easy-paced miles for me today (ave pace 9:55), legs a bit stiff and sore from yesterday’s weights. I need to work out how to keep up my strength training without the soreness affecting my LRs. I do the same darn exercises every week - you'd think I'd be used to them by now. We’re having a rare night out tonight, going to a friend’s surprise birthday party at one place, followed by dancing at another. Since the kids are spending the night at my dad’s, we decided to have dinner out before the party as well. Calorie overload, for sure, but I’ll work on running it off next week…Smile Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tim sorry about that nightmare you had. Clowning around But thanks for kickin off. easy 5 for me & DW this morning, 33F breezy with huge snowflakes floating in the air but the roads were clear. Now coffee and fresh homemade cinnamon bread Big grin Kickin up to 13 miles tomorrow, I'm helping a friend train for his 1st marathon in Cleveland in May. I have not gone that far myself since October and the forecast is 14F w/ 1-2 inches of snow and 30 mph wind. Roll eyes

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

anachrotech

After my long run last Saturday, I came down with some sort of cold/flu. So no runs for the whole week. This is the first time I've had something that made my joints hurt. My run today, even though it's supposed to be long, was only 4 miles. Back to square one I guess. Sad Good runs all.
            Nice 30 miles dream run Tim! Sounds like great fun Holly. Enjoy it! Well, as expected the Big Boys and Girls ran me good this morning. The H&H was a bit high so that didn't help me either, though it did help keep them down to a manageable pace anyway - thank you very much. 12 miles at 8:23 min/mile pace. Fell pretty good most of the way, but those last few were a challenge. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Nice runs, everyone -- especially Tim's 30 Wink I set out to do 8 miles easy, and I guess that's what I did. Not really sure if it matters easy vs. general aerobic, but this run was on the GA side of the fence. Workout: 7.1 miles, 8:13/mi, AHR 150 Overall 8.1 miles, 1:07 Have a great day today!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

30 miles.. reading that woke me up too! anachrotech .. rest up, sounds like flu symptoms if joints ache.. ug Sarge, sounds like the perfect run.. snowflakes but good footing.. nice! Nice one Byll! It was so nice to get a good sleep last night and run at adecent hour (7am vs 4am!) Tory and I went for 6 Magical Healing Miles at 9:36 pace, AHR 141. Very uneventful.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Have loads of fun tonight Holly! WRFB returned last night from another two weeks on the road, so I opted out of our 8pm conference call. I am assuming that the world didn't come to an end, though I suppose I won't know for sure 'til I get into work in an hour or so. It'll be a short stint - I'm working on an elaborate birthday cake for dawndaughter2's 23rd. and I'll need a couple hours this afternoon to finish it off. Oh - and 6.3 miles for me today in a mix of rain and snow. Felt peppier than early in the week.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

btb1490

Tim, that was funny. After I read it the first time, I re-read it and was looking for the word "bike" in there instead of run, thinking it was a typo. Then I saw the dream part. Running 30 miles would be a nightmare for me. Holly, I was looking at your weight training routine. Shocked If you kept the number of reps of your squats in the double digits instead of triple digits, you may not be so sore! Wow! Waiting at the airport right now to board my flight to Tampa where dinner is planned for tonight with Divechief, Arf, Henry and Marj. Can't wait for that! Oh, and then there's the race tomorrow. Have a great weekend of running and other fun stuff, everyone!
                      Evan, your neighbor's encounter with a moose sounds scary. Steve, thanks for the pictures of your grandson. bap, I'm glad to hear your lungs are improving. anachrotech, sorry about the setback. I hope it's temporary. Nice long runs for perch, CNY, enkephalin, Holly (before a big night), and breger (with the big boys and girls). Good job on the speedwork for jjj, Mustang Sally, and BTY. This morning, I lacked enthusiasm for my weekly 12 miler but went out anyway. It was a nice day, temps in the low 30s, a light wind, and the roads had hard packed snow but were not particularly slippery. I plodded along, not feeling too bad and at the approximate miles when I hit the splits button on my GPS, I could see I was keeping it under a 10 minute pace which was fine with me. As I got closer to the end, it looked like I'd picked up a little time. Also, the last couple of miles were harder than usual which I attributed to just being one of those days that the old body doesn't like a longer run. When I finished, I checked my overall time, about 1:55 and pace 9:35 which was plenty acceptable. Later, when I was filling out my log and scrolling through the laps on my GPS, I found I started with a 9:28 pace for the first two miles then slowed a bit which is not unusual. I kept finding somewhat normal mile paces until I got to mile 10. Holy carp, my GPS had me for an 8:12 pace for that mile. In retrospect, I can't remember consciously doing or feeling anything different in that mile, but it might have contributed to the tough last two miles. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Tim that was funny - I too had to re-read it! The only way I'd run 30 miles is in a dream too. I feel I was in good company this morning as I must have been out at the same time as TomS running 12 miles too! I had to totally syke myself up for today's run, but seeing as I over indulged a lttle last night I figured I better get out there. 12.25 miles with an average 11:32 pace and 159 average heart rate. I know that seems high to some of you, but seems to be the norm for me. <rant> Due to snowy conditions and the paths not being plowed I am forced to run on the side of the road. Most cases this is not a problem and drivers are nice about it - plus I make sure I am as far over to the side when a vehicle is coming as possible - even if it means running in the snow. What totally pisses me off is when a vehicle will not get over to the middle and totally splashes me with dirty slush!!! This happened 3 times and NOT because another car was keeping them from getting over. ARGH!!! <rant> Now off to take my mom shopping. Today would have been her 73rd wedding anniversary. Cheers! ~Mary</rant></rant>

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Anachrotech, don't be discouraged! I had a similar cold the foirst week of Jan, then did hills and hurt my heel stretching afterwards so almost no runs before mid-month, but found I got back on track quickly and have done my long runs the last couple of weekends. Short run scheduled today then longer tomorrow. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mary, I agree with your rant! My running partner and I set out for our 6.5 mile run today in conditions just as you describe, and it was 16 degrees. We ran through neighborhoods that weren't too crowded, though. It snowed hard Thursday, and then lightly all day yesterday - apparently the city didn't think the last inch or two of snow was worth plowing, so there were clumps of ice and snow everywhere. It was like trail running! My friend stopped after 5.3 miles, but I kept plodding. A hard run, for sure. My pace was down to 12:04 from 11:33 for my last long run, but I did it! Another personal record for length of run. Now I can run HALF a half marathon, and I still have 7 1/2 months to go until my race. Have a good weekend! I'm going to take a nap right now. Big grin Teresa
                              Morning Boomers. Ran a 15K Valentine race this morning in 27F temps (nice) but 25-30 mph winds. Fresh snow last night made for tricky footing so no PR for me. I was pleased that I was able to keep up with my niece and her friend (both 32 years old) for the whole run, and we finished in 1:27:30. You have to love Wisconsin people. When we crossed the finish line, volunteers were handing out chocolate candy bars and cheese! Good Saturday runs to all, Jeanne
                                Some good runs for my Michigander friends this morning, but I opted for a solid hour of cross-country skiing with my DW. It was absolutely beautiful back along the trails through the woods, with the trees heavily snow-covered (but dripping on us). It did seem to be a bit harder on my hamstrings than I expected, and I'm feeling it now, so might delay my return to running depending on how it feels later today and tomorrow. It's pretty warm today -- in the 30s -- but by tomorrow the high will be about 8 and possibly sub-zero by Monday morning. Glad I got the skiing in today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"